Talking To Mark Lee

Don't Diss My Ability

[Engage in conversation with Mark Lee] START:

 

Taking a deep breath and adjusting his position in the uncomfortable seat that the receptionist told them to sit in, Renjun turned to the boy next to him, tapping the other’s shoulder to get his attention.

“Thank you for helping me,” He signed, smiling shyly as he tried to keep his motions steady and clear enough for the other to read. “Is there anything about this university that I need to know?” He asked, watching as Mark thought for a moment before he nodded, his glasses moving slightly. 

“People here are usually great but not everyone is nice,” Mark replied, his motions progressively become more shaky the more he signed. “Just don’t go to the wrong crowd. Especially since you’re deaf.”

“But I’ll be fine as long as I’m with you, right?” He asked, giggling when Mark smiled reassuringly at him in confirmation.

“Definitely! I always do my best to take care of lost souls like you.” Renjun found himself laughing, his shoulders shaking and could imagine his laughs coming out slightly muffled since he was holding a hand to his lips. “You know, Jeno would probably want to know you too.” He saw Mark sign once the other had tapped his shoulder when their laughter had subsided. “He was the one who was with me.”

“The one who looked like he came out of a magazine?” He asked, staring at the other incredulously and being answered with a simple nod. “He looks kind of intimidating.”

“He isn’t that bad,” Mark signed before the door in front of them was opening and a girl around his age exited, hearing aids being shown due to her pixie hair cut. 

 

He didn’t hear anything as usual but he knew that whoever was inside that room had called out ‘next’ since Mark stood up and nodded towards the open door.

 

Following Mark inside the room, Renjun was met with shiny desks and polished floor, bookcases adorning the walls and a relatively young woman standing in the middle of the room behind the lone desk. The name tag on the desk displayed ‘Ms Jung’ and when he looked up, he was met with the older woman already talking. ‘What was your name again’ were the words that formed, kind expression resting on her face as she waited for his response.

“Huang Renjun,” He stated, signing automatically before confusion overtook her features. “My Korean name is ‘Hwang Injun’.” Waiting, he watched as her lips made the words ‘Take a seat for a moment. I think you might be in the exchange pile’ and sat down in one of the two chairs in the room, noticing that Mark had already taken the liberty to sit in the other seat. 

 

He must do this often to be this comfortable. 

 

As he waited, he saw Mark’s lips move to form words such as ‘yeah, have to do enough for my extra curriculars’ and ‘of course, why would they reject me when I’ve been doing this for the past two years’. Renjun figured that Mark was engaging in a conversation that only people with hearing abilities would be able to participate in. Mark must have noticed him staring for the older turned slightly to him and smiled gently, signing quickly.

 

“Don’t worry, she isn’t saying anything about you.”

 

Renjun hated the small sigh of relief that came alongside processing that statement. His thoughts, however, were quickly overridden by Mark pointing desperately at the woman behind the desk in front of him and causing him to abruptly turn towards her to find her smiling gently at him - as if it happened all the time…and to her credit, probably did. ‘So it seems that you don’t have the implants yet…would you be interested in getting them later’ were the words that her lips formed and Renjun shrugged his shoulders, not really knowing what he wanted in regards to the implants. 

“I think I’m fine without them,” He explained, refraining from signing since he had practiced that one phrase many times on the bus while he was travelling earlier that morning after getting off the plane. “I haven’t really had any problems.” He saw the woman’s face soften into something that he couldn’t name before several papers were being laid out on the table in front of him. He saw a simple white permission slip for having his laptop open regardless of the class for his dictation program, another dull yellow permission slip for sitting at the very front of the classroom and a timetable of all his classes and lectures. 

“Thank you,” He said, signing the words as well and saw the woman’s gentle smile once more. ‘Take care and if you ever change your mind about the implants, come back’ were the words that he read from her lips, his feet walking out of the door before he could even blink with Mark Lee close behind him.

“Thank you,” He said again, preferring to use just his voice this time in order to properly thank the older who laughed at him and Renjun found himself wondering just what Mark’s voice and laughter sounded like. “For coming with me.”

“Don’t mention it,” The other signed, his lips creating the same words and Renjun felt a small bubble of happiness rise in his chest since the older seemed like a very decent option for a friend. ‘Here’s a map, I thought you might want it’ were what Mark’s lips formed and Renjun reached out to grab the small pamphlet that he must have missed in the reception area that they were currently walking through. “Do you think you’ll be alright to find your way to your dorm? Did you hand your bags in yet?” Renjun chuckled at the older’s concern, nodding his head along.

“I arranged for my bags to be shipped straight to the dorms from the airport,” He answered, hands moving at a faster pace to match the words coming out of his mouth. “It was just easier.”

“Do you want me to walk you there?” Mark asked, concerned expression and Renjun shook his head for he didn’t want to be a burden. “Are you sure?”

“Maybe just directions?” He asked sheepishly, opening the map after and feeling his brain slowly break down at how large and complex the campus looked. He watched Mark sigh before the other was drawing a line on the map in front, drawing a star at the end of one line, a tap on his shoulder coming after.

“Take two lefts and a right, then go straight and those are the exchange dorms,” Mark instructed and Renjun thanked him, bowing slightly and turning to go when Mark grabbed his wrist gently. “Wait, I’ll give you my number in case you need any more help.” Slightly bewildered, Renjun nodded and diligently took out his phone to add in a new contact, thanking the heavens that someone as nice as Mark Lee was willing to help him. Once he received his phone back, he thanked the older, promised him that he would text him when he got to his room and walked to his dorms, following the instructions diligently and soon arriving at his dorm room. The key that he had picked up near the front door under the number of the door he was assigned had worked beautifully on the lock and he was met with the sight of a single bed, a single desk and his luggage.

 

Finally, home at last…well, it doesn’t really feel like home but…it’ll do for now.

 

It wasn’t until he had filled his cupboards and drawers with his clothes that he remembered the promise he had made with Mark Lee.

 

Should Renjun [text Mark Lee to let him know he’s safe] or [continue settling in his dorm room]?

If you chose [text Mark Lee to let him know he’s safe], please continue reading on until further instructions.

If you chose [continue settling in his dorm room], please scroll down until you see [Continue settling in his dorm room] START.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Text Mark Lee to let him know he’s safe] START:

 

Humming a tune from his childhood, Renjun took out his phone from his pocket to send the older a few messages to let him know of his whereabouts.

 

To: Mark Lee!!

Got to my dorm all safe

 

To: Mark Lee!! 

Thank you again for helping me at the sign in

 

And just like he expected, Mark hadn’t taken that much time to reply since all Renjun had achieved between sending and receiving messages was picking up a shirt that had fell from his luggage onto the floor.

 

From: Mark Lee!!

Haha it’s okay! Just doing some credit stuff anyway

 

From: Mark Lee!!

I’m chilling at my best friend’s dorm room which is in the exchange dorms too

 

From: Mark Lee!!

And well my friends want to meet you for lunch and I can give you a grand tour too

 

From: Mark Lee!!

Especially Jeno

 

From Mark Lee!!

Is that alright with you?

 

Staring down at the message, Renjun weighed out the pros and cons of meeting up with Mark and his unnamed friends alongside Jeno. He would gain some connections - some things that he barely had before back in China - and he would get a tour of campus but…he still found Jeno a tad bit intimidating since the other was obviously blessed with good looks. 

 

Should Renjun [accept Mark’s offer] or [decline Mark’s offer]?

If you chose [accept Mark’s offer], please scroll down until you see [accept Mark’s offer] START.

If you chose [decline Mark’s offer], please scroll down until you see [decline Mark’s offer] START.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Continue settling in his dorm room] START:

 

Shaking his head and grabbing another shirt from his luggage, Renjun quickly made use of lost time since he wanted to explore campus in the afternoon after lunch. Placing his socks neatly in another drawer, Renjun was distracted when he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket, the screen lighting up to show him a new message from Mark Lee.

 

From: Mark Lee!!

Hey, sorry, I messaged myself on your phone to get your number

 

From: Mark Lee!!

I’m sorry I didn’t tell you

 

From: Mark Lee!!

Are you in your room yet? Did you find it?

 

From: Mark Lee!!

I hope you are…if not, ignore the next few messages but…

 

From: Mark Lee!!

I was wondering if you were interested in meeting up later?

 

From: Mark Lee!!

My friends want to meet you over lunch (Jeno suggested and we’re all just in one of my other friend’s room since he lives in the exchange dorms too)

 

From: Mark Lee!! 

And well…I could give you a tour of campus too if that’s ok?

 

Suddenly feeling a little guilty at not messaging the older sooner, Renjun sighed as he contemplated whether or not going to meet up with Mark was a good idea or not. On one hand, Renjun would be able to properly apologise to Mark for not messaging him and use the meeting as a way to make them even again but on the other…he would like to continue settling into his new home and the concept of meeting Mark’s friends seemed like a lifetime of awkwardness (if the older was any indication of who he hung out with). Staring at the screen, Renjun took a deep breath as he came to a decision.

 

Should Renjun [accept Mark’s offer] or [decline Mark’s offer]?

If you chose [accept Mark’s offer], please continue reading on until further instructions.

If you chose [decline Mark’s offer], please scroll down until you see [decline Mark’s offer] START.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Accept Mark’s offer] START:

 

Smiling to himself, Renjun read over his message twice before pressing the ‘send’ button.

 

To: Mark Lee!!

Sure, I don’t mind meeting them and the tour sounds good too

 

From: Mark Lee!!

SWEET

 

From: Mark Lee!!

Some of them went ahead to get a table at the cafe but I’ll meet you at the dorm entrances in ten?

 

From: Mark Lee!! 

My friend has to get ready lmao

 

To: Mark Lee!!

Yeah that sounds good :)

 

Hurriedly putting his phone in his pocket and noticing a mirror next to his door, Renjun quickly brushed his hair with his fingers, sighing at how much unpacking he still had to do and closing all of his drawers and cupboards. He quickly zipped up his luggage afterwards but chose to keep it on the bed, deeming it too much of a hassle to drag to the floor and knowing that he would regret leaving it there later when he came back.

 

From: Mark Lee!!

Nvm he’s ready now

 

From: Mark Lee!!

You need more time or?

 

To: Mark Lee!!

No no!

To: Mark Lee!!

I’m coming!

 

From: Mark Lee!!

Okay, we’re waiting for you

 

Making sure he had his wallet, phone and keys, Renjun quickly exited his room and locked the door, smiling proudly at himself for establishing some connections on the first day. Remembering the turns he took in the building to get to his room, Renjun eventually found the elevator and travelled all the way down to the dorm’s lobby that had a sleeping receptionist and two males waiting on the chairs in front - Renjun assumed that the receptionist and chairs were for people who didn’t arrange everything online. Carefully walking over to the males, Renjun eventually recognised one to be Mark whose face lit up when he saw him. 

“Renjun!” The other greeted enthusiastically, his happy expression doing all it could for Renjun to note that the other was probably shouting as he sloppily signed. “This is Chenle! It’s his first year here too!” When Renjun let his eyes wander over to the other, he saw the younger’s lips create a timid ‘hello’ while he waved adorably. “He’s from China too!”

“It’s nice to meet you,” He greeted in Chinese, smiling when Chenle’s face lit up in delight and caused his lips to create words that flew by too fast for him to read. Troubled, Renjun turned towards Mark who simply patted Chenle’s shoulder, seemingly grounding him, and Renjun continued watching as a realisation flitted across Chenle’s face - probably the one that stated his ears as defective. ‘Sorry’ was the only thing that the younger’s lips formed and Renjun smiled gently, feeling slightly guilty at killing his bubbly mood with a disability that he had no control over. 

“It’s okay,” He reassured the other in Chinese, dropping the signs to pat his shoulder. “You’re not used to this.” He could tell that Chenle wanted to say something more but was stopped by Mark waving a hand between their faces, causing Renjun to instinctively turn towards him.

“Let’s go?” Mark asked, his signing becoming more confident as Renjun nodded, following Mark and stepping outside. He could tell that Mark and Chenle were talking by the way their mouths moved but he couldn’t see the lines of their lips clear enough to know what they were saying. As they walked through numerous facilities on campus, one sight that captivated him was the same stranger who had helped him find the administration building alongside a taller male who seemed like he was afraid of something. Out of pure curiosity and nothing else, Renjun tapped Mark’s shoulder and pointed to the two males who had now sat down on a bench not too far away from where they stood. 

 

“Who are they?” He asked, seeing Chenle stop and look, his expression mirroring Renjun’s own as if to ask the same question as his. He saw Mark sigh, the older pushing up his glasses slightly before he started talking with his hands moving at a slightly slower speed. 

“I don’t know who the tall one is but the other one is named Na Jaemin,” Mark explained to the both of them, Renjun nodding as Chenle’s mouth formed a small ‘o’. “Don’t get too invested in him.” He saw Chenle’s lips form the words ‘why not’ and nodded to ask the same question, only causing Mark to sigh again. “He’s known for being a boy and tricking both girls and guys to have with him. Some people say he even has an STD so I wouldn’t even get involved with him if I were you. Who knows what might happen?” Humming, Renjun let himself take one more look at the boy he now knew was Na Jaemin and found it very hard to believe that a boy who was nice enough to help him find the administration building would have the guts to trick an innocent person into having . He felt a gentle hand on his wrist and turned to see Chenle’s concerned expression, the younger’s lips forming the words ‘come on, our friends are waiting’. Conflicted, Renjun turned to look at Na Jaemin and his companion once more, Jaemin in mid laughter as the other boy smiled cheekily. 

 

Should I make the connections already set up for me or go for my own?

 

Should Renjun [go to Na Jaemin and his companion] or [go with Mark and Chenle to meet their friends]?

If you chose [go to Na Jaemin and his companion], please continue reading Chapter 5.

If you chose [go with Mark and Chenle to meet their friends], please continue reading Chapter 6.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Decline Mark’s offer] START:

 

Shaking his head, Renjun decided against the offer, deeming it much more fun if he were to explore campus on his own. 

 

To: Mark Lee!!

Sorry, Mark, I just want to unpack today and then quickly grab something later from a cafe I saw 

 

To: Mark Lee!!

I hope you have fun with your friends though :)

 

Taking deep breaths, Renjun couldn’t help but feel unsteady as he waited for Mark’s reply, suddenly wanting to go back and accept the offer so he could at least have one friend. 

 

From: Mark Lee!!

Oh its ok!

 

From: Mark Lee!!

We’re here if you ever want to meet us :)

 

Biting his lip and pocketing his phone once more, Renjun resumed the mundane task of unpacking. He put articles of clothing into various drawers, sighing in relief once his luggage was empty and hauling it off the bed, kicking it underneath his bed shortly after. When he checked his phone, he saw that it was still relatively early, making him smile and exit his dorm room to grab food from the cafe he saw on the university’s website. Renjun didn’t know how long he had wandered around campus until he finally saw the cafe that was in the website - Dream cafe with their delicious looking iced mochas. Entering the store, Renjun quickly ordered his well deserved iced mocha with a nice croissant that the wished he knew how to make. Grabbing the table number stand he was given after payment, Renjun saw Mark amongst a group of rowdy boys who seemed around this age on one side of the cafe but also saw the boy who had helped him find the administration building sitting all alone on the other side and looking as if he had been stood up with the way he was absentmindedly stirring his straw in his glass. Conflicted, Renjun decided that going to Mark would be a proper way to apologise for misjudging how much he had to unpack and would grant him with friends but also decided that he would regret leaving the poor boy all alone…he also still had yet to thank the boy who had guided him to the administration building properly.

 

Should Renjun [go to Mark and his friends] or [go to the boy sitting all alone]?

If you chose [go to Mark and his friends], please continue reading Chapter 9.

If you chose [go to the boy sitting all alone], please continue reading Chapter 10. 

 

Chapters 9 and 10 will be updated within the next month and a half.