Part I: 7– Confrontation

Different World: Genesis

Rose led them back to the car so V could put down his bags, and once again, Taehyung wondered if she ever thought about herself for once or asked for a reward ever. “You’re going to make me feel bad if you keep being so thoughtful towards me.” He told her frankly. And really, Taehyung didn’t know what to do about her kindness because that was really who she was. And being truthful was something V never encountered in anyone in his life. “Isn’t there anything you want?” He asked.

“Then...” She thought. They arrived at an ice cream place, where everything were naturally made, without superficial colors, nor sugar. “You don’t need to return favours. I do everything not to receive something back.” She told him after she got her mango flavoured ice cream. This ice cream shop was owned by an old lady whom she knew for a while. Lisa and her often come back to this place whenever they have a chance. She happily had a spoonful of it. “I do everything because I want to. And since you seem like a good person, I don't think much about it.”

”You don’t know me. You don’t know where I come from, what I did in the past, or even, who I am.” V warned with a sigh, and it seemed like the words had other meanings when he said them.

She thought for a bit, “Should it change the way I treat you?” She asked and took another spoonful and Taehyung had nothing else to say, and he could only stare at her. They were near the clock tower and so they naturally headed to the port. And once there, Rose pointed at the horizon, which the grey-ish sky seemed like it would start raining anytime soon. “On the other side, where another Seoul is; it is where you came from.” She said and he turned to her, still saying nothing. “When I noticed you have a car, I sort of guessed that you weren’t from here and maybe, have a motive for whatever reason. And then I happened to overhear your conversation with my brother.”

”And you’re still treating me kindly.”

”Your words don’t change the fact you’re a good person.” She said and put another spoonful of ice cream in . 

”On what ground are your words based on?”

”You had always maintained the distance I took, and never forcibly treated anyone poorly to get what you want or to get out information you needed. My brother and Lisa could be overprotective at times, and might have said and treated you poorly, yet you never hurted them. There are many times when you meant what you say. Even the greatest actor cannot possibly act 24/7. Your smile reflects your heart and feelings, and your eyes confirm it, so whatever you say, those simply confirm that despite your motives and reasons for doing whatever you are doing, you are still a good person. And your methods and approaches don’t change this fact that I have noticed.”

V stood there besides her and turned to the river. He let out a chuckle, “I never lose. This time, someone had seen through my eyes and walls.” He muttered to himself and turned back to Rose. “I had underestimated your judgment abilities, I have to admit I am very surprised.” It was Chaeyoung’s turn to laugh. And her light laugh cheered up instantly the gloomy atmosphere around them. Her laughter was like melody to the ear, and it didn't bother V.

“Hansung-shi, everyone have their stories. For me, it feels better to be silent and to simply observe. Not everything or everyone need to be exposed and it is not my job to judge them, let’s leave that to God.” She said and turned to look at him. “And everyone do build a facade to hide their deepest scars, to protect something or themselves because of a reason they have, me included.” She turned her eyes back to the river. “I don’t know if I can help you much, but this city you’re in right now, another Seoul we refer it as Genesis, is a real city, and, you simply happened to cross the barriers in the forrest that separate Genesis from the outside world, your “world” that we refer as the other side. I don’t know much of the details but I think next week’s event should help you attain something you need or might find useful.”

Right. He completely forgot about the event Rose was trying to get him to attend from the brother’s girlfriend earlier. “Right. About that... what is it?”

”I am sure you have heard something in your city too, either from rumours or some sort of thing. Next week’s event gathers a large number of people that formed the Higher Society. The majority of them come from the other side.” She told him and now everything made sense to him. The Higher Society again. He never had a chance to directly enter into any of the annual gatherings, this time, he can. He can finally have “it” done. “The Higher Society is the people my brother wants to avoid but also the reason why this place exist. Their intentions are vary from members to members. No one ever asked any questions, so that even the origin of it remain a mystery for myself.”

Kim Taehyung could imagine how everything goes together and after they remained silent for a while, Hansung turned to her, “Thank you, for helping me despite knowing everything since the beginning. For treating me kindy despite the lies and acting I made. I am someone who reciprocate everything. If you show me kindness, I will be kind. How about that...” He said and held out his hand at her, “My name is Kim Taehyung, call me V. Hansung is my birth name from which I changed to Taehyung, my current legal name.”

She held it, “Park Chaeyoung, Rose.” She said and smiled, bowing at him. And for the first time, in his entire life, either as Taehyung in Seoul or Hansung in Genesis, this time, V didn’t need to act. And honestly told somoene his real name, the reason why his name could not be found in any systems. And all because the girl standing in front of him, bet on the fact that he might be a good person and trusted him at the cost of it. He can proudly say this once for the first time, he lost and it is to a woman. The clock tower in the back started to ring and the two of them turned away from the river to look at it.

They didn't remain outside for too long because it really started to rain. Both of them had to run back to the car, covering their heads with their hands, luckily Rose had a hoodie. 

//

When they reached the house, it was still empty. And in order to not catch a cold, both of them headed back to their rooms to take a hot shower. When Rose was done, she needed to add the final touch ups in her project and get ready to present it to the class in a few days. She looked at the time: 1:43 PM. She was almost done and she simply need to get ready for her oral presentation. But the problem was that she wasn't made for public speaking or everyone looking at her. She chased her fears away and focused on finishing her project up first. 

Downstairs, when V got out of the shower, he forgot to bring his shirt. With his hair wrapped in a towel, and a bottom, he walked out of the bathroom to see Jin sitting on the couch by the window, waiting for him. He wasn't shocked, "I would thought you wanted to see me . Should I?" He asked and Jin remained indifferent to the stuff he was saying. Kim Seokjin knew Kim Taehyung too much. He had changed so much, but also not at all. Taehyung grabbed a shirt, and wore it, "Since you're the one reaching out, I believe you're here to talk. If you're gonna stay silent and hesitate..." He said, drying his hair with the towel and turned to his friend, "It is so not like you." He said to provoke Jin and let out a mirthless laugh. He put away the towel.

"The Kim Seokjin you're looking for is already dead several year ago. There is no use to come after me." He said and V's expression harden, losing the smirk he often wore. 

"So you gave up on him." He said and Jin didn't anything to deny it. His anger spiked and agressively pushed the doors of the wardrobe closed, resulting a loud sound resonating thtough the room to upstairs. He went up to Jin and held him up by his collars. "He was the one who taught you all you needed know to survive. He gave you a name, an identity, fighting skills, knowledge. Showering you with everything. And now you're telling me some bull****?!" He asked and scoffed, while he was trying hard to not start a physical fight there. He smoldered the anger growing in him, yet still holding onto tightly on the shirt, 

"Taehyung-ah, I didn't give up on him. There is no use into giving up a dead person." Taehyung froze on his spot, and simply looked at Jin into the eyes, wishing that he didn't say that, wishing that everything here was a dream, wishing that he would burst into laughter and told him it was a joke. But the silence in the room became heavy and none of them spoke. Kim Seokjin didn't take back his words. "Kim Taehyung." Jin called. "He is dead. Whether Kim Seokjin is still alive or if Kim Taehyung is alive or not, none of those will ever change the fact that he is dead."

V loosen his grip from Jin's collar, his arms fell down on his sides. "What is wrong with you...?" He asked under his breath and looked at the man standing in front of him. A man that had the same appearance as he did, but his personality and person completely changed. Kim Taehyung no longer recognized who the heck was standing in front of him. Was it wrong from the beginning to try to find him? "For the last couple of years, I thrive to obtain more power and work my ****ing a** off to protect myself, despite being alone, despite constantly living in fear that someone might kill me, yet I held on, because I know that you didn't die and that you would one day come back and together we would overthrow them!" His hands trembled as he spoke and it was because of the anger, disappointment, shock, and pain that were arose from Jin's few words. 

"Taehyung-ah, the moment he died, I too felt like my world crumbled, myself went dying with him. I am sorry that you were waiting for me." Seokjin said and pressed his lips together. "I found a new life here, and... I have no intentions on going back. It is better to start fresh Taehyung-ah." He said. V took a step back. "The Kim Seokjin you knew no longer is the same as he is now. The identity he wears now is a new one which he found himself, one that he owns." He finished and looked at V silently.

Taehyung took a deep breath and looked around him before starting to laugh. He passed his hand through his face before laughing again, nodding to himself. "Kim Seokjin..." He called for himself.

"You're going to put yourself in danger if you continue walking on that road. This time, you're really on your own. No one would be here to help you." He said. "Give it up Taehyung-ah. I know everyone in the underground city are looking for you. The Higher Society is looking for a man called Kim Taehyung, if you're going to show up next week at the event, you better not drive any attention on you, or else, you will really need to be dead this time. No countries nor places would be able to hide you. Cherish it."

"Is that why you are here?" V asked after letting another scoffed. Jin didn't answer and it was what pained him the most. His brows were tightly knitted together and for one last time, he prayed that Jin would tell him he was joking but still nothing from him. He knew he had to accept his betrayal. And he wouldn't blame him. 

"This is all I have to say." He said and he straightened his shirt before walking towards the door. 

"Hyung." He called and Jin stopped walking. "The moment you walk out of this room, you're no longer related to me in any bits. I would forget about the Kim Seok Jin that made a promise with him." He asked and Seokjin put a hand on his shoulder. "You're sure you won't regret that?"

"That would be the wisest choice if you can do it." He said and patted his shoulder before he left the room, leaving V where he was. Kim Taehyung was silent and the moment Jin stepped out of the room, a few seconds later, he fell on his knees. He took a few breaths to hold back his tears of anger and pain. 

"KIM SEOKJIN!" He yelled out from lungs, letting his tears out. He stood up, after regaining control of his emotions, and stormed out of his room. He can't possibly...and there he saw Jin said a few words to Rose, a few feets away who was holding her laptop, before he left the house. He swallowed a few times, before he looked away. He probably looked like a crazy mess... messed up with anger, sadness, pain, betrayal and disappointment. "That er really did leave, without turning back, like he did a few years ago." He mumbled under his breath. He his bottom lip and lifted up his eyes, meeting Chaeyoug's eyes that were on him. Not because of pity... but of empathy.

//

Jin silently drove away and stopped on the side of the highway, deep in his thoughts. With his high-beams on, lighting through the rain, and flashers ticking, and right hand on the steering-wheel, he simply stared blankly in front of him. Kim Taehyung had been the best brother and friend in Kim Seokjin's life. But the death of Ryu Jaehyuk, a several years ago, had caused a great shift in both their lives. "Taehyung-ah... You weren't there when it happened. I watched him die in front of me while I can do nothing but watch..." He whispered under his breath, and his eyes glistened. "I was too scared back then to do anything..."

//

V was completely down and he simply returned to his room without even bothering to close the door. He dropped down by the end of his bed, leaning his back against the mattress, and his head lowered, his chin almost touching his chest. He was staring right in front of him in silence, while his arms were extended on the floor, on each his sides, his legs apart from each other. Rose was by the the door frame, looking at him, troubled by how much Taehyung's emotions went downhill within an hour. And definitely, this scene was not some foreign scene. She knew the emotions too much. She decided to remain nearby, so he doesn't feel like he needed to go through alone. It always felt good to have someone on standby to listen to you when you're ready to talk. She pushed up her glasses and sat down inside the room on the other side of the bed, facing the entrance.

He didn't know how long he had been sitting like this but once his head was clear again, reminding himself that Kim Taehyung wasn't this easily scattered, with all the efforts he had build until now, there was no way he would stop now. He had done this alone for several years, it won't matter if he continued until the end. The afternoon sun was coming out, and its rays shone through the gauze curtains. The faint typing sound on the keyboard attracted his attention. He turned to see Rose typing a text on her laptop. He didn't speak and simply stared at her for a bit. 

'Why is she more considerate than the friend I have known for years?' He thought and rested his head on the bed, still sitting by the end of the bed. He stared at the ceiling and simply let the keyboard sound filled the quiet place. He didn't feel angry or anything anymore. He turned to Rose again, and he gotta admit although she didn't do anything, just not having to be alone in silence felt good. He never had anyone else since his death. He sneezed and realized his hair was still wet. Rose lifted up her head and turned to V, whose head was turned to her direction. 

She closed her laptops and told him, "Ah... Hold on." She said and went to grab a hairdryer, seeing the water in his hair. She held it to him, "Here, before you get sick." He looked up at her. She was simply looking at him straight into the eyes, with her lips curled up, in a straight smile. He stood up and she held the dryer to him. He received it, staring at it.

"Are you this considerate to everyone?" He asked and watched her expression. She was looking up at him.

"No, it's the first time I see someone my age or older this sad." She replied blankly. "I didn't know what to do other than sitting there. My brother Jimin always did that a while back..." She changed the subject. "You should dry your hair before you get sick." He let out a faint chuckle and nodded. 

'That girl had seen all my faces..' He thought silently, looking down at the hairdryer in his hand. 

"Hansung-shi." She called and he looked at her. "It's fine. Tomorrow is a new beginning. If it doesn't work, you have another day, then another. There's no end until you decide to." She said and his lips curled up in a faint smile. 

'That girl had seen all of my faces, through the ups and downs, yet she never looked down on me, but remained hopefully to see me get better...' He finished and stared at the hairdryer in his hands. If he was back in the Seoul he lived in, he would definitely asked her to dry his hair for him in order to make her feel flustered, but he simply didn't want to play her like that. He didn't want to treat her like he did to anyone else.