Part I: 10 — Higher Society

Different World: Genesis

Hansung must have dozed off into dreamland for 30 minutes before he woke up with Rose's light coughs. He went to prepare a hot cup of water in which he added lemon and honey. He really should receive an award for everything he had done today. Maybe half of his bad deeds gone? Perhaps. He put it on the lamp table and moved the covers up to her chin, so Rose would stay warm. He checked her temperature with his palm, one on her forehead, one on his and he nodded in relief. Her temperature was cooling down. Well, it better, for all the hardword he had put in!

He went to the living room, and sat on the couch, looking through the pictures Rose took, and he realized she paints. When the door signaled about someone entering the first door of the house, V put the phone away and approached the security camera, to see who it was. Park Jimin. Fun, I will make the brother pay back. He mischieviously thought, and at the second he did, Jimin entered the house, meeting him one on one.

"Hello, brother." He said and the brother looked around. "Cotton is asleep." He said and went to seat on the sofa. "In my room." He said and he sensed Jimin's glare on him. He couldn't help but enjoying annoying this stingy brother. But he didn't like to involve Rose into his ways to annoy Jimin and so he clearly explained to the brother, "I couldn't carry her back to her room, I could only help her walk to that room, since the living room is pretty cold, don't you think?" He asked and Jimin cleared his throat before taking off his outer jacket, and went to sit in front of V on the couch.

"How about we have a talk, Hansung-shi?"

"Damn, so polite so suddenly." V commented and signaled him to proceed with whatever he wanted to say, straightening his back.

"Although I still don't know your real identity, I know Hansung is simply a name you're using here." Jimin spoke and glanced at V's face who simply nodded at his assumptions that were right. "I know you're not a simple good citizen as you're acting like one right now. You are involved in the underground activities organized by gangsters and mafia members." He said and V kept on nodding. "To what extent you are in those things, I don't know but it seemed like everyone out there are looking for you. You're not a simple minion that was sent by a leader, I can bet that you're one of the highest, decision-makers in the gangster world." He stopped talking, taking a short pause. "And I know the reason you're still hanging around this place is to get into the event in a few days." Kim Taehyung's face darkned. "The Higher Society."

"Don't you think you're getting a little too ahead of yourself?" V asked and stared into the brother's eyes. 

"I want you on my side. From the moment I met you, I know you have a lot of potential and it would be my greatest asset to work with someone like you." Jimin said and it was there that lost V.

"How do you know I won't be betraying you? I am very good at analyzing my benefits in something I get myself into, I might be your greatest assets and even provide you eveything you need with everything I've got easily, but.... for me, Park Jimin is not worth working with. You're not an attractive partner for me. We don't have ay common ground." He said and Jimin shook his head, not agreeing on this with Kim Taehyung. 

"We do have a common ground." Jimin cut in. "We are both after the same goal."

"And on what ground are you saying this?"

"Ryu Jaehyuk." Jimin replied and the entire room fell into silence. Now that name was a very sensitive subject and person to bring up in front of V. After his death, no one ever me tioned his name in front of him nor he spike about him with anyone until several years later, he met with Jin; and yet still avoided using his name. “That is the ground we all stand on.” He said. “We might have different tasks but at the end, our final goals are the same.”

”What are you?" Asked V seriously. Jimin shrugged, shaking his head, not knowing how to say it.

"The same as you I supposed." He said. "In a different way." He replied and V really didn't know if he was kidding or not. And even if he wasn't, they cannot go over too much on the subject. "Working with me gives you access to everything you would want to know of the Higher Society, and that will be your benefits and greatest assets." He said and Hansung was silent for a while. "I guarantee you complete protection from the other side. You won't lack anything here." The brother assured. 

"I have don't work with anyone. I do my own stuff... After all I don't need anything more. There are nothing I can lose anymore." V said and Jimin shook his head, disapproving his opinion. 

"There is always something that could come up... and before you know it, you could lose it." He replied. "How about that? Think about it and let me know." He suggested and Hansubg simply shrugged nonchalantly, letting the owner of a successful company doing what he wanted.

Jimin had said, he stood up and headed to the guest room to take a look at his sister whom he actually came home for after what Lisa told him earlier. "Chaeyoung-ah." Jimin called knocking at the door, and entered after 3 knocks. Rose sat up and decided that it was time to head back to her room now that she was feeling better. "Are you feeling better?" The brother asked and helped his weak sister up. 

"Hansung-shi really took good care of me, thanks to him I am doing better." Rose replied and walking out, passing by the living room. She noticed V's back that gave out a cold aura. Hansung turned around at the sound of her footsteps and his lips lightly curled up into a slight smile, which at least relieved her.

Taehyung was then left alone in the living room. 

In Rose's room, Chaeyoung turned to her brother and told him, “Brother, don’t worry about me, I am alright.” She told him and Jimin sat by the couch, nodding. 

“I have been constantly working the past 2 weeks, let me do something for you for once.” He told her. 

“Brother don’t overthink. I don’t reproach you for being busy. I am happy, I am well and I am loved. I am no longer a child, trust me.” Jimin didn’t say anything but simply nodded. Because he knew how much Lisa and him treated Rose like a child when in fact she was becoming more and more independent. “I have made a new friend remember? When you all are busy, Hansung-shinis the one staying with me.”

”You’ve gotten very comfortable with him huh?” Asked Jimin and his sister nodded in agreement. “Aren’t you wondering where he came from, or what he did before?” The brother asked and Rose was silent for a bit. 

“Then wouldn’t there be no end?” She asked and Jimin definitely knew that if Hansung couldn't be trusted or had any ulterior motives, his sister wouldn't trust him that much; Rose was someone who won't fall for any sort of flirting or words people say, instead she pays attention to actions and personality. Jimin nodded. He simply needed a confirmation from someone else concerning Hansung’s trustable level.

"That's what I needed to hear." Jimin said and Chaeyoung smiled, happy that it assured her brother. 

The recovery process for Rose's cold was quick afterwards, after passing through the early stages of it. Lisa, since then had never let Rose be alone with Hansung and it was fine for the young man because while Lisa could spend some times with Rose, Jimin had plans for him at his company, even when he was still thinking about the offer he was given. 

Like he used to dress back in the "real world", V was dressed in an all black suit, his hair however wasn't gelled.  He walked out of his room and Lisa nodded in acknowledgment. “For once you look presentable.” Hansung showed an evident forced smile at Lisa and he turned to Rose, whom he was more interested in knowing her opinion. Did he needed anyone approval? No. But he wanted to know what type of men would Rose be drawn to more.

“How do I look?” He asked Rose, ignoring completely the friend's opinions and Lisa had to roll her eyes for that. The best friend never really cared whether Hansung cared about her or not. What mattered the most to her was actually how Hansung is getting along too well with Rose. And of course, until Hansung’s true intentions are revealed and his true identity is out, he is still a potential threat to all of them. Especially to Jimin and Rose. 

“Alright. Alright.” Lisa repeated her words and cut into the conversation before Rose could say anything. “Pasta, while all of them are busy with the company’s matters, how about we go hunt for a dress for next week’s event?” Rose nodded. 

JIMIN’S COMPANY

The black-tinted automated doors opened to let in the unimpressed Taehyung who has already seen all sorts of things. The blue-tiled walls reflected the natural light from outside. From outside, all windows were darkened, but from the inside, the windows were crystal clear, and the design were impeccable, leaving barely any outlines between each of them. There was a scanning station that separated the lobby and the elevators, which was of course guarded by security guards. The lobby was spacious, which was expected from the great exterior of this building. The porcelain-tiled floor was clean, and was perfectly white.

Hansung was introduced to different employees of different departments. He wasn't bothered by that, but was wondering why Jimin was so sure that he would accept working with him. Wasn't that man too full of himself? Never did Hansung ever gave in to anybody's requests. Kim Taehyung decided for himself, listened to himself. He wasn't someone who could work for someone.

There were a grand variety of products around the place, some still under production others finished in Jimin's office. An entire pile of project proposals, another of business proposals, another of partnerships, another of his own designs. 

"I guess the $5 Millions were simply peanuts for you." V commented and Jimin turned to him. "All this is quite nice, but you know how much more it takes to keep me in this place." He said and went to sit down on the leather couch in the middle of the room, a little further away from the desk. 

Jimin smirked, knowing already that this man, Hansung, would not be easily moved or impressed. That was why... He looked at the piles in front of him, his face still free from any emotions, and pulled out one specifically before he arched an eyebrow, his lips lightly curled up on one side, handing the file to Hansung. He said nothing and Hansung's mischievious grin left him, replaced by a serious face. V flipped through the file, at first emotionless. When he reached the last page, there was the moment Jimin knew he won. 

"This is what I gave your friend Ryu Jaehyuk. The same as what you're looking for: the Higher Society's information. I don't know why at first he wanted those information. But since he helped me once, and the Higher Society isn't the good group of people as they think they are, I continued to work along Ryu Jaehyuk, who ensured the security of everyone in this Seoul, of myself and the most important of all, of the people I love... until his death, as you know. I am the access to more of those kinds of information. Something you won't be able to get by yourself or from someone else."

Silence. 

Park Jimin was part of the Higher Society, he was one of the members with power and authority. The ones above the hierarchy are definitely people who could easily stir up a civil war or even... a world war. V was a capable man, with wits, bravery, skills and charms. But in the Higher Society, he was no one. And the only way to ever be able to attend any of their meeting, it was to join Jimin's side. 

Seeing he was actually contemplating this entire situation, which was already enough for Jimin, because it meant he had succeeded into recruiting that man.

//

The gathering of the Higher Society has always been big. Everyone did hear of it, people do talk about it, there were news on it, but never was any of their faces were exposed. For 5 years, V tried all sorts of methods to get something on them: nothing. And this time, he was able to attend one of those meeting, and for him, he was making a great progress into taking revenge for Ryu Jaehyuk. 

He glanced at the car driving in front of him and the slim silhouette was the source of his attention and also distraction. Since when did this started? He wasn’t sure. He simply started to look at Rose whenever she was with him, he gets lost in the staring. He is concerned about her. And he felt at ease, without having to put up his guards. She was hiding behind Losa’s tall figure, thinking that maybe no one might have noticed her. But Jimin’s name was known among the Higher Society. Even if attentions were not on her, she still feot the sudden change in the atmosphere. 

‘So the last to enters are the ones with the most powers.’ Hansung noticed as Son Dongwoon, the face of the Son Group, the heir and current CEO of it. 

The big two-level hall where the event was happening was definitely luxurious and extravagant. Groups of people stood everywhere but the entire room was only filled with murmurs, that stayed at the minimum volume, barely noticeable. 

Rose’s grip on Lisa’s hand tighten. In Hansung’s view stepped in Jin, who stared at him for staring too much at Rose. V’s face dulled and he walked up directly to her, walking past Jin, completely ignoring his warning gaze.

Even if Lisa was about to chase him away, her plans were put on a stop when the CEO of the Son Group walked up to her father, Mr. Bruschweiler, who was now signaling Jimin and her to join.

The famous Charman of the hospital and founder of a few pharmaceutical branch, owning few research laboratories focused on finding new medicines and treating diseases. Jimin’s knowledge in IT and his business network makes this duo so powerful and authoritative. They owned the world by working together. Everyone wanted to work with either of them, but Bruschweiler only appreciates Jimin for his authenticity and heart for his job.

Taehyung’s eyes fell upon Bruschweiler, who was also known in his own Seoul. The man which no one knew about and where. It was definitely surprising to be able to meet him in person... and the most surprising thing is that the blondie is his daughter... and Jimin definitely was his strongest asset. In his biography, Marco Bruschweiler mentioned a business partner whom he would work again with for another thousand year, and now, it made V wonder what exactly had Jimin contributed to this country and world’s development?

Rose glanced at where V was staring at, and noticed Mr. Bruschweiler, whom looked up at their direction. She politely bowed at him as a greeting. She received a warm smile back from Lisa’s father. “He is Mr. Bruschweiler, Lisa’s stepfather who cherishes and spoil her the most.” Rose explained and the young man goanced down at her, seeing how she can unconsciously smile whenever she talked about her friend definitely made C forget about everything else for a second.

V looked around this room filled of people and his gaze brushed through a trio, whom seemed to be here for something else than attending this gathering. ‘Detective Lee.’ He thought. Something was definitely up. Who wouldn’t recognize this well-known detective whose grandfather was the General Commissioner of Seoul, still running strong. Who wouldn’t recognize him? At least, not among gangsters.

And of course... the detective recognized him. Who wouldn’t from the underground city? Among gangsters? Maybe in this place, very few knew about him, but V knew him way to well to ignore him. And Kikwang himself knew Kim Taehyung too well to not notice him.

Rose surprisingly was feeling calm, even if Lisa was away for a bit. She looked up at Hansung whose attention was on the crowd of people. Even if there were crowds everywhere, the hall was spacious enough to provide a lot of space between each of them. And even so, not everyone was allowed into the Higher Society’s gathering.

Why did it seemed like, despite the short amount of time she had known V, Rose felt calm as he was standing besides her, not as good as when she was with Lisa, but at least she wasn't feeling like she was about to have a panic attack. The man standing behind them started to give an uncomfortable feeling to Chaeyoung whom usually do not get weary to this point. 

She had her head slightly lowered, her chin almost touching her chest, while still glancing back at the man who was leaning against the wall behind her. Was she overthinking? Or was her guts feeling right? She didn't want to make a scene, she didn't want to cause troubles to her brother and Lisa. She didn't want to be this paranoia... 

"Cotton." Hansung's steady and deep voice brought her out of the tornado of thoughts. Her breathing and heartbeat which started to quicken without her noticing, calmed down at once. "Don't worry." He told her, his breath brushing against the temple of her head. She looked up and his eyes looked into hers, such a strong and confident gaze compared to hers. 

She suddenly felt a ball of air in , and before she could identify the issue, she started to hiccup. She covered her face with her hand, to excuse herself but also to hide the flush forming on her cheeks to her ears. ".. I will get myself water." She quickly said and escaped Hansung's presence as soon as possible. 

V himself was also in a daze. When she looked up... He turned to look at where Rose was so focused on earlier and saw nothing in particular that... He spoke too quick. V's gangster instincts were suddenly awaken. And before he could even start doing what he is best at: finding out why, how, what, who that guy was; V found himself besides Chaeyoung who was fanning her cheeks with her hand.

‘Now even my first instinct is to look out for her...’ He thought and he noticed few men dressed in the same way as the one earlier, entering a hall, after discussing together at once, glancing at Jimin's directions. He might be wrong. Maybe it was those around Jimin, but one thing is for sure, they were up to no good at all. And perhaps he might trace down where HE is. 

When Rose turned around, she could only see Hansung disappearing into a dark empty hallway.