i can't do this

How to Love An Ahjussi by Kim Jongdae

'He's still alive right?'

'Yeah. I don't know what happened to him, but it looks like he saw a ghost today.'

'You said he was with someone here last night, Sehun?'

'Yeah, maybe it's that ahjussi that he's obsessively in love with.'

'What?! Did you see his face?'

Two people are inside the house as I laid my face flat on the floor, probably passing out due to the sudden shock. I was having the moment of my life as I slid my body on the door, still surprised on that tiny peck on my haggard cheek, but then there came a baNG!, placing me in this situation now.

But that time, did the gods of the east read my prayers and sent me a miracle?!

'Oy, hyung.' I flinched the moment a huge hand slapped my , making me sit up in no time. As I turned my body, I saw two es standing in front of me, smiling creepier than the Chesire cat. 'What the do you think you're doing?'

'Well, slapping your ...I guess? You're spacing out.' replied Sehun as he walked to the kitchen, placing the plastic bags he bought somewhere. Realising how this dickhead had finally decided to show up after all this time, I stood up and ran, tackling him down with a bunch of lectures on my head. 'Where the did you go? Why aren't you last night? Did you spend the night on your boss and ---'

To my surprise, he pecked my lips with an accompaniment of a sly smile. 'Chill, little .' 

'My, my, I never thought you'd lay a hand on our maknae, Mr. Kim.' Turning my head to where he was, I gave Byun Baekhyun a bored look before I stood up, walking to where he was. He was giggling at the moment, but it suddenly vanished when I held his chin, making me smirk as I whispered seductively, 'Don't you think Chanyeol-sshi would be happy if I laid mine on yours?'

The air inside the house suddenly went intense for a second as we looked into each other's eyes, but the loud growling of Baekhyun's stomach ruined the mood, causing the three of us to burst into laughing fits. 

'So you were in this house all along?!' My eyes widened as the maknae explained why he just appeared so late in the moment. He went home even later than us, and didn't bother to annoy me in my room when he saw two shoes at the door. Giving me a chance, as what he said, he went to Baekhyun's early in the morning to inform him about Minseok. The two were eating breakfast when the amazed look on Baekhyun's face as upon seeing my reaction made me want to punch him in the face, but the fact that I realised that I kept calling this house as mine made shut my . He then asked, 'So Jongdae, is it him?'

'Hm?'

'Is it that ahjussiI?'

'Hmm, try to guess.' I replied, causing Baekhyun to slam his hands on the table. 'Is it him?!'

'Didn't you get to see his face, Sehun?' I asked, ignoring the murderous look that idiot is giving me. Sehun, on the other hand, shook his head like a little baby, making me realise why I really like him around than him. To my surprise, the face that I've been cautiously caring for was grabbed by his hands when he tried making me turn to him. 'Why can't you answer properly when someone is asking you, little ?'

'Isn't it obvious, ?' I retorted, glaring to my maximum power with the hope that I'm gonna burn his eyes. This mess of a breakfast ended with them bombarding questions about me and Team Manager Kim; such as asking if he was great in bed---yes he was great on taking up my space; on how the hell did I manage to snatch him----because it was this 's boyfriend who pushed it to me; or did I kiss him---which was immediately answered with a no, because I don't want to kiss someone who made me dance tango with him in the middle of the street. Out of the questions that they asked, there was one that caught me of guard.

'Is he single?'

'Yeah.'

'And does he aim for ?'

'Yeah, maybe?'

'The hell you are unsure for?'

'I remember someone saying that he had a male lover before, but I'm unsure of trying to get a chance.'

'What are you unsure for? Secure that bag like an actual legend, Jongdae. Use your skills as a host!'

'Yeah, but how can I use it against that dead man he's too hung up with?'

The color of their faces that was once bright suddenly turned into dark, drained ones. I am proud of my skills of making the people I'm interested with fall for me, but seeing this huge obstacle made me feel uneasy for the first time. What if I'm gonna remind him of that dead lover of his? What if I'm just gonna reopen and rub salt on his wounds? What if I'm gonna hurt him more than what his ex-lover did?

Doubt was all over my face the moment I've never expected, and it made me unable to do things to progress in this somehow blooming relationship with him. It's piling up all over me, and no matter what I do or think, it would end up stacking on me. 

'Relax, hyung. You're still on the first step, remember?'

Those cold, yet calming words of Sehun made these anxious sensation stop as he place a hand on my shoulder, along with that kind smile of his. Maybe he's right---I'm still on the first step on this conquest to Team Manager's heart, and I have to try my best. Another hand was on my other shoulder, but it was suddenly changed as a heavy cheek was on it, making me realise it was Baekhyun himself, comforting me like a baby. 'Also, we don't know know what will happen if we don't try right?'

Yeah, perhaps this isn't something to worry about. I can do this.


No, I take it back. I can't do this.

It has been a week since that time Team Manager kissed my cheek, and I've been trying my best to hide the fact that my heart becomes like those of a shoujo girl's whenever I see him around because that moment replays on my head like a recorder on repeat. Our relationship, you ask? It has gotten even better! Unlike before, there was now a familiar aura on this ahjussi, and everyone was amazed as he can now talk with them with a smiling face. He was actually friendly and light, but not as much as Director Kim though. Chanyeol on the other hand, has probably forgotten his responsibilities as a secretary and decided to cling into me like a huge koala, still crying about how Baekhyun made him exhausted the night before (which is an information I don't want to know about first thing as I go to work). 

With this sudden progression, I've come to observe that he has gotten even more cuter when he does things unconsciously. At the same time, I've finally gotten to closer to him, and has been promoted from the 'rookie who barely made it' to 'coffee maker'! The feeling I get whenever I go to get him coffee excites me a lot and my chest suddenly feels tighter than usual. I still can't believe I'll be getting a crush after playing all of my life. 

But then, no matter how it got advanced, I still can't do it.

I can't flirt with him nor ask him on a date, because I actually get scared if he reads it as a gesture of friendship, or worse, thinks I've been wanting his favor to help rise through the ranks. And as you read about me fearing for the outcome, I've been standing in front of his office like some stray cat. I don't know why and how the hell did I get this sudden confidence, but my feet took me to this place, making me wonder if I'm really a person who thinks with his (which I meant I do it before I think it).

This is an enemy's den, why the am I here anyway?

Just an attempt. Holy .

My heart starting to beat fast as I stood straight on the door, gathering whatever courage and confidence I can get around this office. My hand was starting to tremble as I tried to reach for the door, but the repeating thoughts over my head was taking me back, making me wiggle it around. I breathed in and out deeply, again and again and again and again and again and again...

Until I had the audacity to reach the door knob while holding my breath.

But the gods of the east said nah, and opened the door to its own, revealing a smiling Team Manager, who was surprised. 'Oh, it's you. Good, I have something to ask you.'

'What is it?' I eagerly asked, but the huge smile on his face made me stood in my place like a huge block of ice, unaware what he's gonna say next.

'Can I treat you dinner later?'

To the rising gods of the east, I would like to offer my gratitude and say thank you!