this ahjussi is moping

How to Love An Ahjussi by Kim Jongdae

I...I did kind of expect this.

Right, there's no hoobae-force drinking-'till-the-sun-rises trope, but they have take-home-a-drunk-subae trope.

It wasn't that I will be happy since I'll be the one holding and taking care of Mr. Kim, I was--very well---unhappy for the fact he is drunk, and I know what will happen to people who take care of drunks. They'd be taking care of a hopeless case---like with Baekhyun who cries a bucket-load while talking about the fights he had with Chanyeol and only end up crying another one when they reconciled. Happy motherers, aren't they?

I expected that Mr. Jung would take care of this ahjussi since they're close friends and all, but instead it was him, after two shots of soju, who got helplessly drunk. He was dragging Minho, who was in a funny situation since he was trying to fight him so that he can follow to where the next round was. I, on the other hand, was surprised that this ahjussi I have here finished an entire bottle--only to see him collapse on Director Kim's shoulder (I wish it was me lol). Chanyeol then pushed on taking him home, saying it's the hoobae's job to take care of his sunbae. I'm gonna report to his lovely b a e k k i e how much he exploits me in his just because he was the director's secretary.

'Hngggg....' was the only sound that came from Kim Minseok's mouth as we walked together, with me supporting his drunk with my body. We walked like we were dancing ballroom--left, right, left, right, swaying into any direction his drunk wanted. When I said I want to have an alone time with him, I didn't mean that I would be taking care of this hopeless case. I really like him--but I don't want to be his care-taker! I want to go to sleep now! 

Luckily, there were benches around. I let him sit in one as I went to a vending machine, thinking it would be a great idea to sit around and let my mind wander in fantasy with the person I like. With two grape-flavored sparkling water cans on the both of my hands, I walked, only to see him look like some dead motherer---his mouth was open as he leaned on the bench, clearly looking at the night sky. I tried my best not to laugh in this situation as I went nearer, but I really want to talk to him, so I placed the cold can on his cheek.

But I didn't expect his reaction.

He hissed.

He ing hissed.

Like a ing cat.

I----

A grumpy Minseok was beside me, cheeks red due to the amount of soju he drank. His eyes were surprised to find me beside him, sitting on the bench drunk. I could only give a small laugh as I try to suppress giving a huge, loud one---but I could think on him giving me a lecture the next day, so no. The sound of him opening his can was the only loud thing in this silent place, and I didn't expect him to be like, feeling lonely.

This is my chance on getting to know him, es!

'Uhm, Mr. Kim?' I asked, trying to act shyly in front of him. His eyes were unwavering and are fixated at the sky, but he did not say anything. At that moment, I thought he was pretty with the sunlight---is it really just me or that the city lights were off---but I think he was more beautifully being bathed in the moon light. He still kept himself silent and I know that he's drunk but Mr. Kim, interact with me please.

'I miss doing this.' I blinked my eyes twice after hearing that. His tone was slurred and it sounded like some soft mumble, yet I can hear it clearly with my attentive ears. Hearing it felt that he was lonely and sad, and that it brings back the memories. Was there something that made him feel like this?

Don't you know he's cold now because of his dead lover?

Ah, I remember what Yerim said. He actually had a dead lover before.

Afterwards, he didn't speak. I wanted to ask, but I felt like the question is too sensitive for him, and I fear that the current state of our relationship would be given more distance, making it harder for me to have a chance with him. But I'm curious---Kim Minseok, why are you so cold? What did they do for you to be this cold on everything?

'Mr. Kim, are you okay?' I finally asked, hoping that he would open his heart for me. Instead of answering me with a yes or no, he turned his head to me before moving it back to the stars. A sad, bitter smile appeared on his face and that made my heart crack a bit. 

'I just missed doing this with him.' Again, he spoke in a slurred manner. 'Those were the happiest times of my life...I...I reg..regret..'

I can slowly feel him going into a breakdown as his eyes shone in the moon light, with tears ready to fall in any moment. Immediately, I went to his side and hugged him tight. I don't care if my working shirt would be wet, all I need to do is be Mr. Kim's shoulder for this breakdown of his. Unexpectedly, he hugged me tight, clinging into me as if he was wanted to be saved. Even if it was a sad moment, I think Mr. Kim crying is beautiful.

'I..I wish...I...I w-wish I didn't..tell...h-him to off...' I know this is shameless of me, but I rubbed his cheek with my hand without hesitation, hoping it would comfort him. My chest was already wet, but I could only sigh as I looked into his eyes, worried and sad for the small thing in front of him.

So, it was a him... right?

Mr. Kim was so in love with him that he became a mess when he left him.

Maybe this thing happening in front of me is maybe a call for me to stop on hoping that I would have a chance.


Wow, such a beautiful face in front of me.

I blinked once. The smell of alcohol is still around, but I don't mind. How beautiful. Team Manager Kim stayed in my house as soon as he was already okay. I didn't know where the hell did he live, so we ended up crashing on my bed. He was so cute when he slept, but since I got tired carrying him around, I didn't get to see more of it. How sad of me.

Without thought, I blinked again.

He blinked back.

. I've been caught. My eyes widened at the person in front of me, who was still unaware of what the 's happening in front of him. In panic, I stood up in bed and ran towards the kitchen, hoping it would lessen the embarrassment that I felt. My ears and cheeks are already hot when I entered, making me rush on trying to cook on something great for breakfast for him.

Toast? Where the hell is the bread? W H E R E   I S    T H E    B R E A D ?

Dammit, I should be preparing for our breakfast, yet I was still on bed, watching him sleeping like some creep. There was footsteps coming toward me as I was busy trying to lay out ingredients, only to get my attention when he suddenly talk. 'Good morning, uhm where am I?'

Oh. My. God. He was standing by the counter, rubbing his eyes. His hair was a mess and somehow seeing him wearing my clothes made my heart beat so fast. . I shouldn't be thinking about this. Without thinking because I am a , I immediately performed a dogeza in front of him and faster than lightning, I apologised; 'I'm really sorry, Team Manager. I should've cooked breakfast. I must've creeped you out. I'm really---'

'Oh. It's you, Jongdae.'

H E     C A L L E D     M E      J O N G D A E.

J          O           N           G          D          A          E.

I  was about to explode, but I don't want to embarrass myself in front of him twice today. As I stood up, I saw him smiling brighter than the sunshine outside, making me all giddy like some idiot. 'Ah, M-mr. Kim...'

'Call me Minseok-hyung, Jongdae. We aren't at the office.'

C A L L    M E   M I N S E O K - H Y U N G.

I    C A N     C A L L    H I M    M I N S E O K - H Y U N G.

I can feel myself having mental nosebleed into what he was saying. God, why did you make such beautiful creature like him? On the other hand, I was able to whip up French Toast and coffee for breakfast. Even though I thought it was awkward, I explained to him what made him end up here in my house, not mentioning the fact that he had that sudden mental breakdown over a memory. He was kind of cute, like a tiny cat (Yes, Jongdae, we know) being fed by its owner.

Before I could panic as I saw how relaxed he was, he then told me that it was Saturday and that meant day-off. The way he laughs is...beautiful. If I would be given a day where I could have Minseok talk in front of him, all I would is stare at him until my eyeballs pop out of their sockets. The more  time I spent with him, the more I felt lighter and the ing hell---I'm falling more and more in a rabbit hole called love, dammit. 

But then again, I cannot have him forever since we are not really friends....wait are we even? We're just co-workers.

There was a huge smile on his face as he stood before the door, making me smile back with such enthusiasm that I don't usually pull. It's time for him to go, I guess. 'I'll see you at work, Jongdae.'

'Me too, hyung.' I replied, opening the door for him. As I was about to see him off, he suddenly pulled me into a hug and whispered, 'Thank you for taking care of your useless sunbae.'

I was speechless. BUT IT WAS EVEN MORE WHEN HE SUDDENLY KISSED ME ON THE CHEEK. 'See you.'

'S....see you.'

As soon as he was out of my sight, I immediately ran inside and closed the door. Sliding like some paper, I leaned on the door, heart beating fast and blushing like some idiot in a shoujo manhwa.

What the hell was that?

Why the hell did hyung do that?