how i met your ahjussi

How to Love An Ahjussi by Kim Jongdae

Sitting on the train, my mouth went open the whole time I was there.

The word congratulations and accepted shook me enough that I actually woke the entire neighborhood that time.

Normally, people would cheer seeing their neighbor getting a job, but in this neighboorhood, they'd give you the dirtiest looks you've ever seen. Well, I can't blame them. It was an hour before midnight when I received the letter, making me cry. It was strange to me since the office I applied for was pretty fancy, and that my record (you know, I was a host) isn't really that clean as you see, but I don't care. I'll be able to pay Sehun, whoop!

I finally managed to come back to the reality when I heard a kid telling his mother that I was already drooling, making blink faster than I could breathe, wiping the drool.

What I felt the moment I stepped inside the establishment was far different than that time I was interviewed. Every step felt like I was standing in burning lava, and I can feel my heartbeat going fast. There were a lot of people walking around somewhere, making me a bit of relieved as I enter, yet I am still nervous.

I managed to find the HR guy who interviewed me the last time, his name was Choi Minho I think---and gave a smile as I went towards him. 'Good morning, Mr. Choi.'

'Oh, it's your first day at work.' He replied as I noticed his eyes going up and down, probably checking my whole outfit before he gave me a smile. 'You're really flashy even though you aren't in work clothes, huh?'

Before I could ask, he started walking around the office. People around were busy walking, typing and calling around, and to my surprise, they were doing this the same time while looking at me, even following to where I was walking. We then stopped somewhere on a little room, with the typical office with glass doors and everything, different from the others---and that meant they were a higher up. 'So, you're a Kim right?'

'Yes, I am?' I asked, unsure of what to say, making him chuckle. 'You'll be assigned to Team Kims.'

'Team Kims?' My eyebrows raised in confusion as I heard him, not sure on how to react again on what he said. Without replying, he open the door and entered, making me immediately follow him and  a l m o s t   ended up crashing my face on the door. The room was pretty much warmer than outside; well judging from the warmer placed in corner of the room that I saw first. Sir Choi had his huge back covering the team manager I am assigned to, making me not able to see his face---was he really that tiny or is it just the broadness of the HR's shoulders?

They were busy talking about something I didn't care about and just stood there, waiting for him to introduce me to my boss. A few minutes later, Sir Choi finally moved from where he was standing, revealing the man sitting behind the desk.

I can't believe.

It was the same man from the ramyeon shop.

His cat-like eyes were staring at me, observing like I am a prey in motion. I don't know why I suddenly said that kind of narrative, but that's how it felt like locking eyes with him. He was not handsome---he was beautiful, god I'm getting fascinated by him again. I managed to come back to Earth when Sir Choi suddenly spoke, 'This is gonna be your new boss, Jongdae-ssi. This is Kim Minseok, the baby ahjussi.'

I blinked for so many times before seeing him glare at him like a cat. 'Can you all stop calling that? It's getting annoying.'

'Well, it's the nickname that fits on you though,' He replied, laughing at his reaction before turning to me. 'Please don't be fooled by this man, he's on the way to 40!'

'Shut up, I'm still 34!'

They were happily bickering, while I stood there, frozen. It wasn't the chilly weather that made me feel this way, it was the feeling I had ever since I heard his voice. It was light; very, very light that I can almost hear a whisper, and that it sent me shivers to my spine when I heard him speak more than when he stared at me. I could only do nothing as they talk, leaving me like a mothering statue.

Why the hell do I sound like I'm in a mature, steamy CEO story anyway?


Later on, nothing happened.

Yes, you are reading it right. Nothing really happened to me.

I just sat down on some table watching as others do their jobs, unaware that I am constantly ogling at them like some idiot. Sir Choi told me to sit in and then wait for some instructions from people since they would help me familiarise through the whole building. But what happened was only me looking around to help myself familiarise since it seemed like photocopying and coffeemaking was also their own thing to do.

A few moments later, I can't hold myself from looking around, and decided to ask some young approachable fellow who was busy photocopying something from the copier.

'Excuse me?' I asked, hoping that the man would not ignore me like other people inside the office. To my surprise, he turned around and gave me a smile, showing his dimple then surprising me with his very deep voice. 'Ah, yes?'

'Do you need help in anything?' He shook his head. 'Thanks for asking, but I'm okay.'

I nodded and smiled before turning back to look around. This company is so weird, some would probably asked like a servant--wait, a dimple? Deep voice?

I checked out the features of his face while he was looking at me; curly hair, tall, kind-looking, deep-voice and submis--ain't this guy the boyfriend Baekhyun keeps talking me about?

'Uh, are you C-chanyeol?' I turned my head and had the audacity (but I was hesitant at first) to ask again, but he didn't gave me a frown, and smiled like the usual. 'I am, why?'

'You know Byun Baekhyun, right?' I was about to make the sign of the Cross when to my surprise, laughed. 'Oh, so you're the bestfriend Baekkie told me about?'

B A E K K I E ? Baekkie? He gave Baekhyun such a ridiculous nickname and he just went with it? Well, he's submissive, no wonder he'd be giving so greasy nicknames. I nodded. 'Yeah, I guess.'

And then he showed me around.

Baekhyun already told Chanyeol that I was applying on the company he's working at, so he asked him to have me learned the ropes. God, what did I do to deserve these two? I was about to cry while Chanyeol was talking and walking around but I stopped myself. Curious what his job is around, I asked, 'What's your job here, Chanyeol?'

'Oh, just the secretary of the company president.' He sings-song, making me shocked. No wonder why Baekhyun said he's rich---he's not even rich, he's RICH rich. He really secured the bag like an actual legend.

A few hours later, I thought I would die from all the stress and the buildup of the task, but I was already dying out of boredom! I'm about to start swinging when I found myself drinking and making coffee, until someone called me, saying Mr. Kim needed me.

Hearing those words, I felt my blood run cold and walked towards the manager's office like a walking stone. I can feel my heart beat every step on the way, along with a lump forming on my throat the moment I stood in front of it. I opened the door, and nearly froze when I saw him staring at me with his cold eyes.

But honestly, if you look at him, he just looks like some pet cat staring at you.

'Yes, s-sir?' To my surprise, he stood up, revealing he's just a few centimeters shorter than me. How cute, I thought, looking at him like he was the stray cat I often feed on my neighborhood when I was a kid. He then stood before me and smiled, extending a hand.

What I didn't expect is that he'd smile at me.

He ing smiled at me! I already can feel my heart skipping beats, making me almost die at every second.

'I just want to formally introduce myself to you, but I can't since Minho was well, you know, annoying me,' He spoke cutely embarrassed, while I, a mere human, is watching him. 'I'm Kim Minseok. I'm handling you as the head team manager.'

I can feel panic coming from my veins as I already held his hand and shook it. I just shook his hand, and I can see in his eyes that he was already expecting me to say something.

Kim Jongdae, say something! Say something, you !

'I-I... I'm Kim Jongdae, sir!'

God, I should've just died.  But seeing how he smiled as I embarrassed myself, I could not help but to feel all giddy, making me run after going out of his office calmly. Excitedly, I called Sehun with my heart feeling all tight and . 

So how's your first day of work, hyung?

I had a huge grin on my face. 'Sehun, I think I'm in love.'