prologue - minseok-hyung's birthday

How to Love An Ahjussi by Kim Jongdae

8:00 PM.

God, my body was running, so was my mind. It has been a while since I ran, but I really have to move fast, goddamnit. There was sweat all over my face as I hurriedly ran from the bakery, surprising some people who were just walking around. But I don’t care, I don’t care, I just wanna get home right now—he’s probably waiting for me there.

My heart was beating fast and I was out of breath when I sat on my car before I turned the engine on and sped off. The windows were left open as I drove on the lonely road, making me feel the wind cooling off the sweat on my body (he’d scold me once I get home, I know it.). It was summer, so it’s not news that I’d be sweating on the way home, but then I’ve been drenched in it more than the usual, so I hope he really won’t be angry. After all, today was his special day.

March 26. Today was a cool day, just like him.

A smile was on my face as I tried to remember the cute things he did hours ago in the office. He was still doing his job silently like an old cat, but his cuteness was loud—Oh! I was about to run on a car. Kim Jongdae, you idiot! Do you want him to worry again about you? I sighed happily as the tension in me was gone, and I finally let out another sigh, but in relief as I reached the parking lot.

‘Meow.’ I turned around as I was typing the password. A dark grey cat was behind me, and it’s yellow-green eyes were watching me as I looked at him, only to realise he was the neighbor’s Russian Blue cat. ‘Oh, Kaiken.’

Kaiken reminds me of him that much: he’s cute; he’s tiny; he’s adorable and everything, but nothing beats it all for that tiny man. I patted his head and said a tiny goodbye as I entered my house, only to have that fluffy feeling from the cat be gone as I felt the lonely atmosphere inside the house.

It was cold. It wasn’t the cold that I felt when I was riding the car, but the icy, cold one.

But despite all of those, I hurriedly opened the cake box and set the candles, hoping he’d like this tiny surprise.

‘Minseok-hyung.

‘Jongdae?’ There were footsteps around as I tried my best to hide in the darkness—and then the door opened, revealing the tiny hyung I really love, with his cat pajamas and messy hair. I can’t help but to giggle—he’s so cute whenever he wakes up from his sleep, and it makes my heart beat faster than ever. Only cute things can make me go this way, especially when it’s about him!

Seeing that I have the chance to sneak up to surprise him, I jumped behind and shouted a loud Happy Birthday! You’re two steps on the way before your life starts., only to be given a straightforward and bored look from him. ‘Hyung,’ I whined. ‘Why can’t you atleast act like you’re surprised!’

He spoke nothing—I was surprised about it. Whenever I whine, he’d reply back with some insults an old man could throw, but now, there wasn’t a single insult. Worried, I asked, ‘Hyung? What’s wrong?’

Everything was already cold. But it became colder when he gave me no reply. But then he spoke, but his reply was like an icicle that struck my heart.

It was March 26, a cool day. It was my Minseok-hyung’s birthday, and I was trying to surprise him. But I never thought he’d surprise me like this.

‘Let’s break up.’

What?’