Chapter 5

Kindred Souls

Every weekends or at least on Sundays, Jieun always try to spend some quality time with her family. She hasn't replied to Junmyeon's text that she got last night, but was glad to know that her song was able to comfort him, even though he doesn't exactly know that it was hers.

Despite getting along well during their first few encounters, she doesn't want to move too fast in the terms of their newfound friendship. She decided that she'll let him know soon enough what her profession really is. Inna is also too pre-occupied with work that she wasn't able to get some advice from her. Right now, she's just immersed playing with Bbugu, their family dog for so many years already. 

"Come here and eat already, the food is getting cold." Jieun's dad scolded her. She hurriedly walked towards the dining area and waved goodbye to Bbugu first.

Jieun is seated opposite her parents. The dining table is full of food from end to end that it looks like they're having a feast. Jieun's parents always cook so much whenever she comes to visit, they're always worried that she's not eating properly when she's living alone. 

"Hanteo told me that you have a new neighbor, is that true?" her dad is now putting huge servings of food into her bowl. 

"Mmhhmmm. It's true, I finally get a neighbor after so many years." Jieun munched on the luscious home cooked food that her parents made. 

"Well, that's good to know. Have you met your neighbor yet?" her mom's eyes are full of wonder, waiting for her daughter's answer. 

"I did, he invited me to have lunch together. I accepted it, he's nice... charming." Jieun nonchalantly replied, still munching on her food. 

Her dad's eyes widened with her daughter's statement. "Ya, Lee Jieun! you've only met this guy once and you're already eating with him?" he crossed his arms, his posture rigid. 

Her mom on the other hand couldn't help but stifle a laugh with her husband's sudden reaction. 

"Hon, Jieun is a grown woman now. She might be our baby, but she's old enough to do this, she's dated before, why are you so against it?" Jieun's mom put a hand over her dad's shoulder.

Jieun, who has just finished munching on her food quickly gulped down a glass of water. She let out a small giggle. 

"Dad, isn't it better that I get to know my neighbor? At least now I know he's a decent person and you'll be relieved to know that I'm perfectly safe." Jieun pats her dad's shoulder to calm his nerves. "And mom, stoooooop it, we're not dating, we're just friends." she calmly explained. 

Her parents accepted Jieun's explanation and they went on with their banter. They have also talked about Jieun's younger brother's graduation in Los Angeles, California at the end of May. Jieun have already cleared her schedule within that time frame to make sure that she'll be able to attend. 

Jieun stayed up until late at night at her parents' house. She was planning to stay the night when Hanteo, one of her managers called her. Apparently, she's just been offered as the brand ambassador of the audio device line of the well-known K Group. Jieun was ecstatic and so were her parents. They all agreed that she must rest at her own apartment in Seoul since it would be closer to the main office of the said corporation. 

------

The contract signing is scheduled in the morning, the representative of K Group told Jieun's team ahead of time that she'll be meeting the Vice President of the company personally, as requested by the CEO. With that information, the whole IU team made sure that Jieun would look her best as this would be one of biggest deals in her entire career so far. 

Joohee-unnie styled her in a white long-sleeved open collar blouse paired with high waisted black pencil skirt and high-heeled shoes to show off her curves while still looking formal for the contract signing. Her bob hair is curled slightly inwards and her make up is very light with the contrast of a slightly thicker eye mascara and red lipstick. 

Jieun came early at the head office of K Group along with Chipmunk manager this time, as Hanteo had some business to attend to. Upon her arrival, they were assisted by the company representatives to the topmost floor. 

"Please sit here first, IU-ssi." the company representative offered them hot tea to drink while waiting. 

After a few minutes, the both of them were called inside to the office of the Vice President by his secretary. 

Secretary Park led them first to the conference area of the Vice President's office to be seated. 

"I apologize, but Mr. Kim will be here shortly. He just had to answer an important call." the secretary let out an apologetic smile to Chipmunk and Jieun.

"Oh, it's okay sir. There's no need to apologize, we understand that Mr. Kim's a busy man." Jieun nodded a little bit while smiling towards him. 

"I also just wanted to say that I'm a big f - fan of yours, IU-ssi. Excited to hear your new album s - soon." Secretary Park stuttered and hid his face in his hands. 

Jieun's eyes lit up, she offered a handshake with both of her hands outstretched towards Secretary Park. 

"Thank you so much, sir. I really appreciate it." Secretary Park proceeded to shake Jieun's hands while giving her that dad smile that most of her older fans make. 

"It's my honor -" Secretary Park immediately stopped what he was doing and bowed towards the door. Chipmunk manager also hurriedly rose to his feet.

"I'm sorry for making you wait - " a young man said, his voice calm yet deep. A voice too familiar to Jieun. 

She looked at the direction of its source, and let out a small gasp. The man is all suited up, his hair brushed up. His features are still the same features that she remembered, both manly yet subtle. From his almond shaped eyes, sharp jawline, and boyish pink lips. 

He stopped in his traces, frozen. His eyes grew wide with shock, his brows furrowed. 

 

"J-Jieun-ssi? Y-You're our newest brand ambassador?" he walked a little closer towards her direction, not breaking eye contact with her. 

 

Jieun blinked twice, convinced that she must be in some sort of a dream. 

He stopped right in front of her, his eyes clearly showing that he's just as confused as she is. 

She is now face to face with K Group's Vice President, Mr. Kim.

 

" I - uh... Yes, I am, Junmyeon-ssi."