i'll walk you home

All the Ways I Let You Know

“Hey, can you do me a huge favor? I totally forgot that we’re running a night class today and I didn’t bring extra clothes to change into…and it’s kind of my turn to feed my coworkers.”

“Okay…What do you want, Seulgi?” Haewon laughs. She uncrosses her legs and slides into the slippers under her desk. Pushing her chair back, Haewon continues. “Do you want me to bring you clothes to change into?”

“And dinner too?” Seulgi asks hopefully. “I’ll pay you back, I promise. It doesn’t have to be a lot. There’s only five instructors. I called you because you’re the closest to the studio but if you can’t I’ll call someone else.”

Haewon laughs at that. “I’ll grab something on my way over. Kimbap and tteokbokki sound okay?”

“Yes, more than enough.” There’s rustling on her side of the phone and Haewon can hear Seulgi’s muffled voice yell, “I told you I’d get dinner so shut up, Byun Baekhyun!” Haewon raises an eyebrow at the sheer force in Seulgi’s voice. “Okay, you’re also welcome to stay for the class if you want. It’s been a while since I’ve danced with you.”

“We’ll see, Seulgi. I’ll see you half an hour.”

“Thanks, Hae! You’re the best, I love you!”

 

“Have I ever told you how much I love you?” Seulgi holds Haewon’s cold hands in her own. “I’d give you the biggest hug right now but I’m sweaty and gross.”

“You told me before you hung up,” Haewon laughs. “This is enough right?” She hands over the bags of food and a small backpack with clothes inside and sticks her hands back into her pocket.

“This is more than enough, Hae. I said there was five people, not a whole class to feed, oh my god.”

Haewon scrunches her nose. “I think it’ll be enough.”

“Come inside and eat with us. We won’t finish it all.”

Before she can decline, Seulgi’s hand wraps around her wrist and she’s being tugged into the studio. The familiar ambiance takes her back to her college days where she’d spend late nights dancing with Seulgi, running through the same routines to perfect it. But where Seulgi continued her passion, Haewon settled. The memories leave a bitter taste on her tongue.

“Hello, food is here!” Seulgi announces.

Haewon watches with wide eyes as everyone immediately stops what they’re doing to form a circle. She sits down hesitantly even though Seulgi basically drags her into the circle.

“Everyone thank Haewon for saving us from starvation today.” Seulgi begins to unpack everything from the plastic bags. “You even bought drinks, Hae!”

“She’s a keeper. How do you think about working as our food runner?”

“Baekhyun, shut up,” Seulgi snaps.

Baekhyun sticks out his tongue teasingly and grabs a can of Cola for himself. “Thank you, Haewon!”

Haewon smiles softly. Her eyes wander around the room, taking in the mirror walls and bright lights and speakers. She’s not paying too much attention to the food until Seulgi nudges her side.

“Eat.” A skewer with fish cake is shoved into her hand, leaving no room for debate. “I forgot introductions.” Seulgi takes a sip of her Cola. “This is Jung Haewon. She was my dance partner during college.” Seulgi makes a face. “Could have still been but she decided to get a ‘real’ job instead.”

Haewon slips a hand between them to pinch Seulgi’s thigh. “Thanks, Seulgi,” she says between gritted teeth.

Seulgi elbows Haewon side. “Anyway. These are my coworkers. The loud one is Baekhyun. She’s Soojung. He’s Jongin. He’s Sehun.”

Haewon finally looks around the circle of people. Her eyes falter when they land on Jongin but immediately stop when she meets eyes with Sehun.

“Oh—”

Sehun gives her a smirk and winks.

“Did you say something?” Seulgi asks.

Shaking her head slowly, Haewon blinks confusedly at Sehun. “No.” She glances back over at Jongin, who’s also staring at her, but he averts his eyes and stares at his kimbap like it’s the most interesting thing in the world. When she looks back over to Sehun, he’s too busy skewering tteokbokki to pay any mind.

 

“You’re staying right?” Baekhyun sidles up next to her and grins. “Seulgi said you were really good in college.”

Haewon lets out a short laugh. “It’s been a while. I’m not sure I’m at that level anymore.” She slowly edge back but freezes when she bumps into something.

“You should stay anyway. Get back into it.” His voice sounds like it did that night and Haewon feels her insides warm up. Sehun squeezes between Haewon and the doorway and crosses his arms as he leans on the wall. “You’re already here. And it’s a free lesson.”

“Sehun’s right!” Baekhyun chimes in.

Haewon looks back into the main floor and chews on her lower lip. Inside her hoodie pocket, her fingers twitch with anticipation.

“Come on.” Sehun wraps his hand around her arm and pulls her towards everyone else. “It’ll be fun.”

That’s how Haewon finds herself with her hair in a messy bun, stretching next to Seulgi.

“I didn’t think you’d stay.”

Haewon steals a glance at Sehun in the row in front of her and averts her eyes back to her own reflection. “I didn’t think so either.”

“Glad you did though, Hae. It’s been a really long time.”

Two hours later and Haewon never felt so alive. It was amazing to be able to dance again. All the stress from work and life was the last thing on her mind. Her muscles were sore, but it was such a familiar ache that she welcomed it after all the empty years.

“Hey, you were really good.” Sehun plops down next to her and fixes himself in the same position as her, leaning back on her palms with her legs outstretched. “Kind of rusty but I can definitely tell that you’re experienced.”

Haewon raises an eyebrow. “Does this mean you watched me the entire time?”

Sehun shrugs. “Does it?” he says. There’s a sly smile on his face.

Haewon laughs and uses one hand to wipe the sweat off her brow. “It felt nice though. Fun, like you said.”

“Told you so.” He moves a little closer and brushes the back of his hand against her arm as he scratches at his neck. “Consider coming back?”

“I don’t think so. No time. Lots of things to worry about,” Haewon says. “Life gets in the way of a lot of things.”

“If dance was your life then it wouldn’t be so bad, would it?” Sehun jokes.

Haewon smiles. “No, it wouldn’t.”

“Hae!” Seulgi calls out. “Heading home yet?”

“Yeah, I’m coming.” Haewon glances over. “You leaving too?”

“Soon.” Sehun gets up first and holds out a hand. “I usually stay with Jongin for a bit more.” He looks over to the where the speakers are and scrunches his nose. “Though I think Soojung will be staying today.”

Haewon snickers. “Are they a thing?” she asks as she lets Sehun pull her up.

Sehun leans in to whisper, “Kind of? They’ve been flirting since Jongin became single again.” Sehun’s eyebrow twitches and he gives Haewon a knowing smile. “It’s kind of a mess. His ex is her cousin’s best friend or.”

Haewon laughs as she walks over to Seulgi. She pretends not to notice that Sehun is following her to the door. “Did you bring your car?” she asks.

“Taking the bus. Walk with me? Sehun, you too.”

“Okay, I’ll grab my stuff.” He fake salutes and walks off.

The moment he’s out of earshot, Seulgi narrows her eyes at Haewon. “Are you two flirting?”

“N-no?” Haewon stutters. “I met him before.” Seulgi looks like she doesn’t believe her. “At a club a few weeks ago. Jongin was drunk. Ask him.”

“I never said I didn’t believe you, no need to get defensive.” Seulgi raises her hands up in surrender. “Anyway, thanks for bringing clothes and food. I’ll take you out this weekend.” Seulgi grins and latches onto Haewon’s arm. “Sehun, hurry up, I want to get home before midnight please.”

“I’m coming!” Sehun swings his duffle over his shoulder and throws a towel over his dripping hair. “Let’s go, ladies.”

“Damn, I never knew you were a gentleman.” Seulgi pushes her way past Sehun, pulling Haewon along. Haewon catches a glimpse of Sehun shaking his head and smiles to herself.

The cold night air is refreshing on her sticky skin. The walk filled with Seulgi talking animatedly about their upcoming pair routine, still attached to Haewon’s hip. Sehun walks beside them quietly, only adding in comments here and there.

“Oh! Speaking of the pair routine, Sehun still needs a partner.” Seulgi hip bumps Haewon and coughs. “My bus is coming soon, I’ll leave first! Bye, guys!” In the blink of an eye, she’s gone, leaving Haewon and Sehun awkwardly staring at each other.

“Umm, my place is close, so I guess I’ll go too,” Haewon says after a short silence.

“My place is close too. I’ll walk you home. If-if you want, that is.” Sehun looks unsure yet eager.

Haewon meets Sehun’s eyes and smiles softly. The night at the club flashes in her mind. “Sure. I’d like that.”