pull over. let me drive for a while

All the Ways I Let You Know

Sehun glances over to the driver’s seat and smiles to himself. He rubs the sleep from his eyes and stretches his arms out.

“Oh, you’re awake?”

Sehun hums in acknowledgement as he turns up the radio so the soft music floods the car. “It was a good nap.” He plucks Haewon’s coffee from the cupholder and takes a sip of the watered-down drink. “Are you tired yet?”

“Not really.” Keeping her eyes on the road, she reaches back an arm and pulls out a McDonald’s bag. “I got you a burger.” Haewon places it on Sehun’s lap. “Eat. I ate already.”

Sehun opens the bag and finds her empty box of chicken nuggets at the top. Digging through it, he finds his Big Mac at the bottom with some leftover fries she must have missed. “Thanks, Hae.” He unwraps the slightly warm burger and takes a bite. “Are you sure you’re not tired?” he asks again.

“Yes, Sehun, just eat,” Haewon laughs. “I haven’t even been driving that long.”

“Wait, what time is it?” Sehun fishes for his phone in his pockets, only to come up empty. “Wait, where’s my phone? Did I leave it at home?”

Haewon lets out a short laugh. “I think you dropped it. You kept moving when you were sleeping.”

With his burger in one hand, Sehun reaches between his knees and fumbles around until his fingers graze on the cold surface of his phone. “I found it.” He settles back into his seat as he checks the time. “It’s two?” he chokes.

Haewon shrugs. “You were out for a while.” She glances over for a moment. “Can I have a bite of that?”

Sehun blinks but holds out his burger for her. “You’ve been driving for three hours,” he chides.

“They’re mostly empty roads,” she says through a full mouth. “Can you check how far we have left?”

Sehun holds his burger in his mouth so he can free up his hands. He opens the map with his right hand while the other latches onto Haewon’s. Their fingers tangle easily, like second nature. “Three hours,” he reports. His thumb rubs the back of her hand idly. “You should have woken me up when you stopped at McDonald’s so we could switch.” He finishes the rest of his burger and takes another sip of Haewon’s water-coffee. Twisting his body so he can look straight at her, Sehun leans his head on the headrest and chews on his lip. “Hae?”

“Yeah?” She looks over, eyes flitting between her boyfriend and the road. “Hey, you have ketchup on your face,” she giggles. She unlocks their hands so she can finish off her coffee. “I can drive, I promise. You can check us in and everything while I knock out in the car later.” Haewon sticks out her tongue and scrunches up her nose in a teasing manner.

Sehun his lips and lets out a small huff. “How are you not sleepy at two a.m., Jung Haewon?”

The power of coffee and pulling all-nighters in college!” ” she fake cheers.

Letting out a short laugh, Sehun shakes his head. “You are one of a kind.” His fingers find hers again.

Music fills the car as they sit with a comfortable silence between them. Sehun is busy watching the car on his phone slowly make progress to their destination when Haewon’s voice interrupts his activity.

“Hey, Sehun, turn up the radio. I like this song.”

The volume is turned up a few notches and a fond smile blooms on Sehun’s face when Haewon immediately starts singing along.

“Hey, hey, chorus!” Haewon shakes Sehun’s hand. “Go!”

Sehun’s voice joins hers and they break out in half-singing-half-screeching. When the second verse begins, Sehun stops and he settles back into his seat.

It’s moments like these that fill him with indescribable joy and happiness. Haewon continues to sing, eyes trained onto the empty road before them, headlights shining beams into the darkness. The song fades out into a commercial break soon after Sehun joins in again for chorus two and three. He’s about to start playing games on his phone, when he hears Haewon let out a yawn.

“You’re tired!”

“It was one yawn, Sehun,” Haewon deadpans.

“I want to drive. You’ve been at this for the past three hours.” He tightens his grip on her hand. The seriousness in his tone makes Haewon glance over to him. “I mean it. Pull over. Let me drive for a while.”

Haewon blinks twice and then smiles softly. “Alright,” she relents.

Sehun wraps her in the blanket from the trunk and tucks her into her seat. “Sleep, Hae.”

“I’ll watch the map so you don’t get lost,” Haewon teases. Sehun sticks out his tongue as a retort.

Though he’s not sure exactly when she fell asleep, Sehun turns off the radio thirty minutes later so Haewon can dream peacefully.