The Unlinking Spell

Destined

Baekhyun would like to think that he knew what Daehyun was planning, since the two of them had spent quite some time together during this life-time. He knew how he operated, he knew what strategies he liked to use in certain situations because he had been in the room with him when the vampire had given them out to his followers. Which is why he wasn’t able to tell Chanyeol the full story. 

Daehyun had been searching for something called an ‘unlinking spell’. At first Baekhyun didn’t understand the context as to why the vampire he thought he loved was looking for such a thing, but now that he’s had the dreams and learned about his connection with Chanyeol, Baekhyun was able to connect the dots. 

“We weren’t able to find one of the witches that created the spell,” one of Daehyun’s cronies had claimed after he rushed into the headquarters with a couple crinkled old pages in hand. “but we were fortunate enough to find her last living heir. Like you said we didn’t even leave a trace of our search behind but we did run into a little mix-up when she came home-” 

“Did you dispose of her?” Daehyun wondered, his tone of voice harbouring no emotion in regards to the topic of conversation happening in front of him. Baekhyun had felt his gaze on him throughout his exchange with his men, which was why he tried to showcase that he was more interested in his book than the conversation happening ahead of him. 

“As is the policy.” the man had claimed with a sicking chuckle, Baekhyun didn’t have to look up to know that the paper was being passed over to their boss- the sound of it almost echoing off the walls in the library. “We took out the pages relating to everything we could find in regards to the unlinking spell in the book but there was no actual spell found there, believe me we triple checked.”

“Witches have always been crafty with their magic,” Daehyun laughed without humour, the sound of it making a shiver run down Baekhyun’s spine but he was quickly able to brush it off as something horrid happening in his book. “I’d bet money on them burning it after they had created the link in the first place, but not to worry boys this will work. Thank you so much for your work.” 

“How can you be so sure that he’s going to unlink the bond that holds you and Chanyeol together?” Luhan wondered, pulling Baekhyun back from his memories. The vampire took a deep breath, his eyes falling on the clock positioned on the wall in the kitchen, it had been almost an hour since Chanyeol went out to check on the wolves patrolling the school’s border which meant that he would be returning any minute. 

“Daehyun wants me to himself but he knows that I would never choose him over Chanyeol, even if he did threaten any one of you in the process. Ms Lee’s words from earlier have been ringing in my head ever since we saw her, she had said that Daehyun had never tried to involve himself in my life before this life-time. Instead he’s been hiding, planning strategies and watching Chanyeol and I from afar through the centuries that we’ve been alive. I don’t doubt that he watched you in your previous lives either, he would have needed to gather as much information about us as possible. I don’t have all the facts yet since I still haven’t seen how we got here in the first place but I have my own experiences with him from when I was with him.”

“You mean to tell us that he’s been spending his very immortal life watching over us all ever since we arrived here just so he could get information out of us? Why on earth would he need to do that?” Sehun wondered, his brows furrowed together in the centre of his forehead. 

“He needed to make sure that none of us had our powers,” Baekhyun explained, recalling his dream where Mrs Park had been sceptical of Daehyun’s presence in the room before both of their father’s died. “we would have had a proper chance to stop him dead in his tracks if we held our gifts but since we don’t have them anymore we are less likely to win against him. But now we have an idea about his plan. He never interacted with me before and never got involved with Chanyeol’s lives either. That means that he was only watching us from afar which clearly shows that he knows about our curse, for centuries he watched both of us die after we confessed to each other.”

“Wait so this whole time it wasn’t just being soulmates that linked the both of you together?” Kris asked, his hand scratching against his nape in confusion. “You’re saying that you were both linked in dying too?”

“That’s what Ms Lee has been saying!” Kyungsoo deadpanned, sending both Sehun and Kris a dumbfounded look. “Everytime one of them confesses they both die, that’s the curse that linked the both of them together even more once we arrived on Earth. Baekhyun now thinks that this curse is what Daehyun is trying to break, but my only question is why?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Luhan whispered, his gaze focused on the bowl of plastic flowers Kyungsoo had set up after receiving them from Ms Lee after his ceremony. “Daehyun used Baekhyun’s blood to take Baekhyun out of Chanyeol's venom spell which means that his venom is toxic to Baekhyun just like it would be to everyone else, now that Baekhyun connected the dots in regards to the unlinking spell that must mean that Daehyun broke that link between them too.” 

“Which means-” Jongin drowned out, looking at Luhan for answers. But instead received his answer from Baekhyun instead. 

“It means that if Chanyeol bites me I’ll be the only one that dies between the two of us. Daehyun made the venom toxic to me, if he had just left it there both Chanyeol and I would have died. But now that he’s unlinked us from the curse bonding us to die together it will just be me.” 

“Why on earth would he do that?” 

“Daehyun has always wanted me and the throne,” Baekhyun sighed, hanging his head between his shoulders. “Since I wouldn’t willingly leave Chanyeol’s side he’s going to kill me so that his brother can’t have me either. With the two of us being mates Chamyeol will be in mourning which means that Daehyun will eventually get to have his way and stake his claim on the throne back on EXO planet. He knows that my death will take a toll on Chanyeol which is why he got involved in my life this life-time, it was his way of saying goodbye. He figured that turning me into a vampire would prevent my death completely but after I ran here I knew that when I saw him in the village he didn’t really care about me anymore, that’s also why he sent Jessica into school. She was gathering information on Chanyeol’s bite from everyone, when he bit her they were able to get a sample of venom from her skin which is how they were able to take me out of the equation with his venom. Since we believe that she’s resurrected I believe she has also informed him and Maddix how things are run here and how close we are too.” 

“What do you need from me?” Kyungsoo insisted already standing on his feet, he was a little wobbly but when Jongin’s hand pressed against the small of his back he stabilised. 

“No potion making or spell casting just yet” Baekhyun reassured his best friend and the worried wolf attached to him, a small smile creeping up on his lips as his eyes gazed around the room. He stared at the ten other boys who each looked terrified by his explanations, they all appeared heartbroken and their slumped shoulders made him feel like they had given up hope. “but if it’s alright with you I need you to find the spell relating to the protection over the mind. I already told you guys how fond of mind-control Daehyun is, so if we plan on standing some chance then we’ll need that.” 

“Thanks Baekhyun.” Jongin bowed his head. They both knew that he was thanking him for preventing Kyungsoo from doing anything magical or energy-wasting, the warlock classed witch would just be reviewing some of his old spell-books, nothing too harsh for the natural bookworm.

“What do you want the rest of us to do?” Kris stated, standing tall after sliding off the kitchen counter. His arms were crossed over his chest making him look fierce and ready for the brewing fight. 

“Practise training” Baekhyun shrugged his shoulders. “there isn’t really anything else you can do. Just don’t tell Chanyeol about what I’ve just told you regarding the curse, I don’t want him to worry because I have a feeling this is going to go well.” 

“Doesn’t this mean that the both of you can now confess to each other willingly now that it the curse is broken and only Chanyeol's venom will kill you?” Yixing gasped, looking at Baekhyun with wide eyes. 

The vampire’s lips curled upwards even though his gaze was fixated on the floor, everyone felt their breath hitch when they noticed the tears pooling in the boy’s eyes. He looked heartbroken and like the weight of the entire world was hanging over his shoulders. “I don’t want to take any chances, I’ll tell him when I’m one hundred precent sure that he’ll be alright after it. I don’t plan on dooming the both of us.” 

Everyone then realised the deep meaning behind Baekhyun’s words. He was going to give up his life if that meant that Chanyeol could live on, he had faith that the giant would be able to push his death aside in order to do what’s right. Like they had both done when their father’s had passed, he knew that there was a difference but he didn’t want to give it much thought. 

“Actually..” he took a deep breath to steady his shaking breath, he turned to Luhan and Suho who both raised a brow at his gaze. “would you guys be able to help me fill up some blood bottles?”