More Heartbreak...

Destined

Baekhyun was proud to enter the place he once called home, even though the circumstances weren't the happiest. His head was held high as he walked past the pack's border, a small smile on his lips as he noticed many of the familiar faces were surprised to see him back so soon. A boy Baekhyun hadn't seen in years came running towards him with a pile of flowers clutched tightly in one hand while the other held on tightly to another's hand. 

"Baekhyun!" the boy cried, halting in front of the wolf he hadn't seen in months. The boy instantly dropped the hand of the other and instantly threw himself on top of the friend he never thought he would see again. "It's been so long! How is the palace?!" 

"One thing at a time Ten" Baekhyun laughed, cuddling the boy closer into his hold. His eyes narrowed when he noticed the awkward looking giant standing behind his old best friend, a smirk naturally fell on his lips as he turned back to the flowers being squished between the two of them. "I think the first thig we need to discuss is the fact that you and Johnny developed quite the close relationship when I was away!" 

Ten's cheeks flared in a bright pink hue, his arms falling against his side as he turned his head and looked up at his mate with a small smile. "I was meaning to get a letter out to you, but after everything that happened here I couldn't find the time I'm really sorry Baekhyun-" 

"Don't apologise, I'm just glad that you're okay Ten" Baekhyun sighed pulling his friend back into his arms, drawing a deep breath as he could relax now that his entire childhood hadn't been completely destroyed. "I'm glad you're still alive. When I got the letter about the plague in the mail my mind went crazy, I thought I lost you too." 

"It's going to take more than a plague to kill me Baek" Ten attempted to joke, his laughter allowing Baekhyun to release some of his own. "how long are you staying in the village for? I bet the Princes and their friend's won't be able to part from you for too long-" 

"I cant believe I'm back here in this place!" Daehyun groaned, sniffing the air with such disgust written all over his face that Baekhyun almost considered locking him up in the town hall and  leaving him there. "I hate the stench of common places." 

"Who the hell does he think he is?" Ten hissed, pulling Baekhyun closer in order to talk without the Prince hearing their conversation. Johnny (who seemed to have recognized the boy instantly) bite his lower lip in an attempt to hold back his laughter, instead he gently wrapped his arm over Ten's waist and pulled him backwards against his chest. Baekhyun looked at them both with a smile, happy to see that they were both so comfortable with each other after what seemed like so little time. 

"That's the eldest Prince Daehyun" Baekhyun found himself explaining to his best friend whose eyebrows were furrowed in confusion. "and before you ask, no he doesn't get any better." 

"Oh Baekhyun, who do we have here?" Luhan gushed, appearing next to his friend with a broad smile in Ten and Johnny's direction. Beside him was Kyungsoo and Minseok who both looked just as interested in the couple as Daehyun was in checking the town. "How long have the both of you been together now?" 

"Four months" Johnny smiled, bowing respectfully to the other omegas who had scored big in the lottery regarding the Prince's mates. "we've been expecting Baekhyun home to tell him ourselves but you must understand we weren't prepared to see such a large party with him-" 

"Trust me, neither did I." Baekhyun laughed, gazing around at the larger crowd filling up the centre of the pack village. His eyes locked with Chanyeol who had happily began a conversation with Lily (one of the omega children in the village), her cheeks were a bright red after having grabbed the Prince's attention but the moment she realised that Baekhyun had taken his attention away she couldn't help but gush. 

"Oppa! You never told me that you were coming home!" 

"I didn't have the time to Lily" Baekhyun chuckled, crouching down so that he was now eye level with the little blonde haired girl that he missed dearly. "everything happened quite quickly." 

"I lost my Eomma, oppa.. I'm like you now all I have left is my Appa." Lily stated, taking it upon herself to be the one to catch Baekhyun up to speed. Baekhyun had gotten used to her dry words years ago, but to the bunch of boys that had tagged along with him they were beyond surprised. "I'm glad that you came home in time for us to bury them properly." 

"Me too Lily." Baekhyun nodded, gently pulling the girl into his embrace. He smiled sadly as she nuzzled into his chest and held him close, her chest heaving as she attempted to held back tears that she had managed to hold back for the duration of the plague. Baekhyun was the most popular omega in the pack but when he left to go and partake in the lottery system, he was clearly missed. 

"You have a beautiful home here Baekhyun." Chanyeol whispered once the younger was standing up from his conversation with Lily. "If it's alright with you, later would you be able to show me around? I don't remember this place as much as I would like to and once Daehyun takes over the throne I plan on travelling, this place definitely seems like it has a lot to offer." 

Baekhyun couldn't help the large grin that appeared on his lips as Chanyeol guided him just slightly away from the small crowd surrounding them, he could feel his heart pump harshly against his chest but he liked it. He wasn't scared whenever he was with Chanyeol, he could be himself around the Prince and for that Baekhyun was grateful. 

"I can show you around right now!" Baekhyun declared with a gentle skip in his step, instantly he wrapped his fingers around Chanyeol's wrist and began pulling him towards the centre of the village. 

"No Baekhyun" Chanyeol denied shaking his head and cupping his cheek for a brief moment before taking it away like his touch burnt him. "it's quite alright, let's go and see your father first at least get what you came for over with first. I wouldn't want to get in between you and your family matters, we don't know how long it will be before you get to come back here and the last thing I want you to worry about right now is showing me around, you can do that later, whenever you're feeling up to the task." 

"Thanks Chanyeol" Baekhyun whispered, allowing his body to fall against the taller Alpha. He breathed in a deep breath before pushing off and leading them back over to his two best friends who seemed to be biting their tongue. Ten's face was desperately trying to figure out what just happened before him while Johnny just looked like he was going to bust a lung trying to hold back his laughter. 
 

~*~
 

After everything that happened that morning, Baekhyun was surprised to find himself sitting next to Chanyeol in the village burger parlour a tray of chips laying on the table before him with a strawberry milkshake beside it. According to Ms Lee it appeared that the protectors would need some time to regroup so she sent them off to the closest village to cool down, but everyone knew that she was basically finding a way for Baekhyun and Chanyeol to talk again. 

It wasn't rocket science to see that the two weren't on talking terms and she guessed that Chanyeol was the reason that Baekhyun had been crying in the hallway before he was even told about Taeyeon. 

Sehun and Jongin were surprised to have been given the opportunity but they were also the first ones to accept it on behalf of all the Protectors, they told Kris that since he had offered them up on a silver platter for border duty he best shut up about the opportunity now. 

"Chanyeol will you please eat something" Suho begged, looking across the table at the boy whose eyes flashed from a beautiful yellow to a dark brown. "take some of my chips or even some of Jongin's chicken strips!" 

"I'm not hungry" the Alpha huffed, leaning back against the booth with a small pout pulling on his lower lip. "I will take another milkshake though." Baekhyun watched from the corner of his eye as the taller stood up from the booth and made his way towards the counter with his empty glass in hand, he blew a breath into the air noticing the tension when he attempted to breath back in. 

"Okay that's enough, I've had enough of this. Baekhyun what the hell did the both of you do to each other?" Jongdae hissed, looking down the table at the vampire who seemed surprised about the inclusion. "Chanyeol has been going out of his mind since the moment you left the dorm, when he heard what Conor was doing he raced to you, took us all by surprise." 

"Jongdae leave him alone" Minseok warned, hitting the werewolf against the back of his head. He could understand why Minseok did it but it didn't help him feel any better, Jongdae didn't like to admit it but Chanyeol was his Alpha and what he felt their entire pack felt and at the moment they felt only a fraction of what he was going through. 

"You two were so happy up until last night, what happened?" Sehun wondered, his voice holding more care than the elder wolf's did. "Oh gosh please don't tell me that you two heard anything-" 

"What, no, we didn't" Baekhyun declined with a shake to his head, he could feel his cheeks getting hot under everyone's intense stares but he knew none of them would ask anymore questions about last night if he didn't want them to. "something happened between us and we said some things that hurt each other but it was for the best." 

"That's the best?" Luhan scoffed pointing towards Chanyeol who was slumped against the counter staring into space instead of the refilled milkshake before him. "He's like a walking zombie!" 

"And even though I'm happy to say it, so do you Baekhyun" Kyungsoo admitted with a shrug, his head tilting and laying down against Jongin's shoulder. "the both you look like two lovesick hummingbirds and it's kind of disgusting so why don't we just skip the awkward courting and get straight into the relationship phase hmm?" 

"Kyungsoo!" Baekhyun gasped, looking towards his best friend with wide eyes. He wasn't able to reply because his shout must have pulled Chanyeol back from his dream state and back into reality, the tallest wolf folded back down and crammed himself back into the already squished booth. No words were spoken, instead Chanyeol kept his attention on his milkshake taking quiet sips when he wasn't able to control the flash amber burning in his eyes. Their friends looked on in pity, their chests heaving in sighs as they gave up trying to get them to communicate in any way. 

Eventually conversations developed between the werewolves and the vampires, pointless words were thrown back and forward but it all went on deaf ears at the end of the booth. Chanyeol paid no attention to what was going on around him and Baekhyun couldn't take his eyes off the wolf beside him, it wasn't until he saw Chanyeol himself that he realised the pain he had put him through. 

Chanyeol sat with his shoulders slumped and his hair dishevelled as if he had placed a metal fork in an outlet, his eyes constantly changed between his wolf side and his human side practically begging for some blood. His eyebrows were bunched together in the centre of his forehead and his eyes looked out beyond them into the space around them. Baekhyun could tell by just looking at him that Chanyeol had gone through enough inner turmoil to last them both a life time but, he just didn't know what to do so that the two of them could go back to normal. 

"Minseok hyung" Chanyeol's gruff voice broke through all the conversations happening at the table, everyone turned to look at the Alpha who stared at one boy in particular his eyes unmoving. "I know this is a lot to ask of you but I feel like I'm going to go crazy if I don't get any-" 

"Chanyeol what's wrong?" Suho wondered, looking at the boy in worry. His hand was clutching desperately at Yixing who looked equally as worried as his mate. "You're panting, is everything okay?" 

"I need blood" Chanyeol admitted with a sigh, his head falling back against the booth. Baekhyun watched with an opened jaw as the wolf began shaking uncontrollably, his actions mirroring what a vampire would look like if it was denied blood for too long. "Minseok hyung would you mid if I tasted some of yours?" 

"I mind if you do" Jongdae answered glaring daggers down the table at Baekhyun who felt tiny under his gaze. "just because Minseok isn't mated to anyone that doesn't give you the right to ask him to feed you his blood Chanyeol." 

"Jongdae it's fine, I'd rather it be me than a complete stranger don't you agree?" Minseok smiled innocently placing a hand down on the wolf's shoulder. Jongdae took a deep breath and allowed Minseok to stand up from his spot however he was quickly shoved back into his seat by Suho. 

"No I'm not standing for this anymore, Baekhyun you feed Chanyeol with your own blood. You've been doing it for enough time already, whatever that's going on between the both of you can take a back seat for a moment more. Leave the rest of us out of it and sort through your own problems!" 

Chanyeol bit his lower lip and nodded his head, shooting a quick apology in Minseok and Jongdae's direction before he went back to staring into space. Not even giving Baekhyun a glance. The protectors couldn't help it but close their eyes in silent frustration, they knew that they shouldn't be too hard on either of the quarrelling boys but they didn't know what other way to get them to talk to one another. Chanyeol was taking their advice and leaving Baekhyun alone and it appeared that the newbie vampire wanted absolutely nothing to do with the other wolf. 

"Oh for crying out loud!" Minseok screamed, grabbing a hold of his empty cup and after taking his left wrist into the palm of his right hand Baekhyun watched as he braced himself to bite into it. 

"I got it" Baekhyun whispered, lifting his own hand and allowing his fangs to push through the skin. He whined ever so slightly before retracting the razor sharp features and displaying his hand for Chanyeol, the wolf looked at him for conformation to which he was given a nod. Baekhyun let out a low groan as Chanyeol's head dipped and his tongue swept against the opened wounds, he gasped when the wolf's own fangs pierced the healing skin and took a deep breath as he felt the blood from his arm drain gently. 

"Now that wasn't so hard was it?" Luhan challenged, glaring at both of the boys from his spot beside Jongdae. The two of them turned and shared a glance before they got back into the conversations they started before Chanyeol disrupted them with his hunger. 

"I'm sorry" the giant whispered against his skin, pulling Baekhyun's attention away from the other boys present at his table. "I didn't mean to hurt you earlier on today or last night for that matter. I found myself enjoying what became of us last night and as much as I would love to turn the clock back and have another go at it-" 

"Don't" Baekhyun warned, shaking his head from side to side. He could feel the tears attack his eyes and he didn't feel like it would be a good thing to start crying in the middle of a fast food dinner, instead he raised Chanyeol's wrist and bit into it tasting the wolf and everything good about him. 

"Baekhyun we need to talk about what happened." Chanyeol mumbled, his voice drowned out against the pale skin of the vampire. "we need to talk about the kiss and what it meant and then everything that came from it, we can't just act like nothing happened and now we hate each other?" 

"I don't hate you." 

"Than prove it to me by talking to me." 

"There's nothing to talk about." 

"Baekhyun-" 

"Chanyeol seriously not right now, please." 

"If not now then when, hmm? I'd like to think that I know you a little more than you're allowing yourself to think right now Baekhyun. You won't allow this to come up again if we don't deal with it right now." 

"I've had enough" he declared detaching his fangs from the wolf's wrist, not even allowing his lips to press against the incoming bruise. "I feel sick, I think it's time to leave and get back to the school." 

"Right" Chanyeol nodded, pronouncing every sailable on his way out of the booth and store. "I'll see you all back at the school, I have something I need to do first." 

Everyone watched defeated as Chanyeol escaped through the front door, his hands shoved deep into his jean pockets. Baekhyun allowed his head to fall into his hands, he knew he had messed up again but he still stuck by his earlier decision. Both he and Chanyeol needed to understand what they wanted and then figure out a way to get rid of the nightmares that they both carried. 

"I get that both of you are going through something" Kris sighed, planting a broad hand on Baekhyun's back. "I really do, but don't you think that maybe Chanyeol has already figured things out? He's trying to tell you Baekhyun but you don't want to hear it." 

"I'm not ready to hear it" Baekhyun snapped back, clambering up from the table and out of the door in a flash. He didn't look to see where the taller ran off to and that was the difference between them. Chanyeol would drop everything to make sure that he was okay when Baekhyun knew that they needed space no matter what happened around them or to them. 

"You keep putting yourself through more heartbreak!" Kyungsoo shouted after his best friend, but it was highly likely that the boy didn't hear him.