1.2: y Has a Face

Seoul City Vice

A/N: Alright, well...I know I said I wouldn't be doing daily updates...and I'm not going to be! BUT - one or two can't hurt, right? And even if they're not daily, they'll be every other day, or every third day, I promise (or at least, you won't be waiting weeks)!

Support so far has been amazing. Please keep it coming, love you guys :D  Let me know how you're feeling about a lighter story, since I'm notoriously bad at writing comedy, fluff, or really anything that isn't super dark or super angsty. So, all feedback is appreciated <3

Anyways, enjoy!

 


2


y Has a Face


 

Seulgi pulled the Testarossa into the parking lot of the 161 Waterside Café just before seven in the evening. A cool pinchbeck dusk had come up in the aftermath of the day and she could feel the wind against her face. She rolled the roof up and stepped out and went on into the café. In truth it was more a restaurant and a restaurant perhaps from the past. Faint smell of smoke, old eighties aesthetic. There were framed pictures pinned to the inside wall of old American singers – Elvis, The Bee Gees, Marvin Gaye – and a jukebox in the corner of the room lit like a jade candle playing something she didn’t recognise. The waitress came and smiled at her and took the notepad from the reception counter on the left.

‘Table for one?’ she said.

Seulgi smiled back. ‘I’m looking for someone. A friend.’

‘What do they look like?’

‘She’s about my height, long black hair. Quite…uh, pretty.’

The waitress shot her an apologetic smile. ‘Sorry,’ she said. ‘You’ll have to look around. I can’t really remember people by their faces.’

Seulgi thanked her and shuffled off to look about. Almost every table was full. By the back right the stairs led up to the overlook café. It was equally busy everywhere and the chatter was general and waitresses moved about possessed and apologising to her as they carried steaming trays along the narrow gaps between the tables. She was sat by the window on the upper deck. From there all the Han River was visible and everything had taken a slow anneal glare in the eye of the broken pink sun and she was every bit the same as her picture. Seulgi sat across from her and put her bag down and the woman turned to her and smiled.

‘You must be Kang Seulgi.’

‘And you must be Bae Joohyun.’

The woman smiled again. That smile so dangerous. As if almost challenging Seulgi to speak on it or to take action. She brushed her hair delicately back out of her face. ‘Please,’ she said. ‘Call me Irene.’

‘Irene.’

‘That’s right.’

‘Why did you want to meet here?’

‘Why not? It’s a nice place.’

‘Is there any particular reason?’

‘Does there need to be?’

‘No, but-’

‘Well. There you go, then.’

Seulgi made to say something when they were interrupted by a waitress in a short red dress carrying a notepad. Irene smiled up at her. Each time it was different, changing. As if her face itself held no permanence. ‘I’ll have the soup of the day,’ she said. ‘And a glass of white wine. What about you, Seulgi?’

‘What?’

‘What are you having?’

She looked at the waitress. ‘I’ll just have coffee.’

‘Nothing to eat?’

‘I’m not hungry.’

‘I’ll have some garlic bread as well, please,’ Irene said. When the waitress had jotted up their orders and disappeared Irene sat back and smiled again. She was very pale, very tender. But there was something about her that Seulgi immediately disliked and she couldn’t quite place it. Couldn’t quite explain it properly.

‘You’re the jewellery thief,’ Seulgi said.

‘That’s me.’

‘You shouldn’t be here.’

‘Yet I am.’

‘I just want you to know that, before we do anything. It wasn’t my choice to be put with you. If I had my way you’d still be behind bars.’

‘I was on probation.’

‘You’d still be on probation, then.’

‘You don’t know anything about me, sweetheart.’

‘Don’t do that.’

‘What?’

‘Call me sweetheart.’

Irene just looked at her. That smirk forever changing, never fading. And so frustratingly unreadable. ‘You know what?’ she said. ‘I agree with you.’

‘About what?’

‘I should probably be back on probation. I mean, do you even need me? What do I have that you don’t?’

‘That’s what I’d like to know.’

‘Probably nothing. Except intelligence, but who cares about that? What I mean is, from all I’ve been told – and it’s not much, but still – you’ve got an address, you’ve got an anonymous tip, what else do you need? What’s stopping you from going and busting that place down? What if we rock up there and we just…find it? What then? I’m free. You’re a national hero. That simple. I don’t understand law enforcement sometimes.’

‘I only do what I’m told.’

‘Ah. See now, that’s a good trait to have. Subservience. Mindless dedication to the following of orders. I like that. That’s good, Seulgi.’

‘Don’t get friendly with me.’

‘Why not? Don’t you think we should? We’re going to be spending a lot of time together, I think.’

‘No we’re not.’

‘Well, not if my mad-cap theory was right, and we just walk in to that address of yours and gather the painting and bring it back. But otherwise? Yeah, probably.’

‘We won’t.’

Irene leant forward. She folded her hands on the table and shifted so that Seulgi could see the flicker of her eyes beset with mischief. ‘That’s where you’re wrong,’ she said.

‘We’ll see.’

‘Oh. We’ll see, alright. Are you sure you’re not hungry?’

‘I’m not.’

‘Because we’re going to be here for a long time.’

‘We’re not.’

‘Well. I am. And if I’m staying, you’ve got to, don’t you?’

‘I’m not your babysitter,’ Seulgi said.

‘No. But we are partners now. And we’ve got a job to be doing, partner. A mission, if you like. So we’ve got to stick together.’

‘Are you finished?’

‘Finished what?’

‘Talking.’

Irene looked at her for a moment. ‘Not much of a talker yourself,’ she said. ‘Are you?’

‘With people I enjoy being around, sure.’

‘But not criminals.’

‘Not criminals.’

‘Relax. I didn’t kill anybody. I’ve never stolen from anyone either.’

‘I find that hard to believe.’

‘It’s the truth,’ Irene said. ‘I only take jewellery. Victimless crimes, Seulgi.’

‘What about the fraud?’

Irene threw up her hands. ‘Okay,’ she said. ‘Well. You got me there. But I never stole from people who didn’t deserve it. I took from big name bankers, real estate agents, COOs. People like that, you know? People who deserve it. Think of me as a modern-day Robin Hood, if you like. Bet you’ve heard that one before. I mean, the people I steal from are barely even people anymore, right? They’re just corporate shells in suits. Or do I mean shills? Whatever. Nice suits, by the way. Armani suits. But still. The point stands. I’ve never stolen from anyone who needed the money.’

‘What a hero you are.’

‘Oh no. Course not. But I’m not a villain, I don’t think.’

‘A real hero of the people.’

‘I sense a hint of sarcasm for some reason, Seulgi. Just a hint.’

‘Yeah. Well.’

The waitress came back with their drinks and Irene’s soup not five minutes later and they drank and ate in silence. When Irene had finished her wine she set the glass aside and sipped at the piping soup while Seulgi read through the folder Hongki had given her. ‘Is that the same as the one I got?’ Irene said.

‘I don’t know. You got a folder?’

‘Of course. To keep me in the know.’

‘They shouldn’t have given you one.’

‘I can help, you know.’

‘That’s not what I’m worried about.’

‘You don’t agree with me being here.’

‘Not really, no.’

‘It’s okay. I get it. But you’re gonna have to it up, sweetheart.’

‘Stop that.’

‘I’m just saying. You’re gonna have to.’

Seulgi looked at her. The soup still steaming in the bowl. ‘Why did you tell me to meet you here now? Why not tomorrow morning?’

‘I like it better at night. The view.’

Seulgi shook her head.

‘What?’

‘Nothing.’

‘What?’ said Irene.

‘I’m a not a friend of yours so don’t treat me like I am. Don’t try and get to know me or anything like that.’

‘I didn’t. And I haven’t.’

‘Good.’

‘You seem a little antsy. Case got you all wound up?’

‘Do you even know what we’re working on? Or how serious this is?’

‘Uh. Have you forgotten why I’m your partner? Because I’ll tell you, it wasn’t for my stunning good looks. Even though it should’ve been, honestly. It was because I know art. I know robbery. And I know them both together. I’m like-’

‘A modern-day Robin Hood. I get it.’

‘I was going to say I’m like the best thing you could have on your side right now. Not to be overly humble or anything.’

‘No chance of that.’

‘Finish your coffee.’

‘Excuse me?’

‘I’m going for a walk. Are you coming?’

‘No.’

She made to speak but Irene had already pushed the soup halfway across the table and she stood and took her bag and made for the door. Seulgi looked about. Nobody seemed to pay them much attention. She took a sheaf of bills from her purse and paid downstairs at the counter and went out to find Irene. A colder wind blew in the rapid darkening of the day. Irene was stood whistling by the Testarossa when Seulgi found her.

‘This yours?’ she said.

‘Yeah. It’s mine.’

‘Are you serious?’

‘Get in.’

‘How the did you afford this? Are you sure you’re not doing a bit of thievery on the side?’

‘Get in.’

‘I’m serious. Look at this thing. How much did it cost you?’

‘It doesn’t matter.’

‘Are you always this angry? At everything.’

‘I’m not angry. Get in.’

‘Where are we going?’

‘I’m going home.’

‘At least buy me a drink first.’

Seulgi looked at her.

‘What?’

‘I’ll give you a lift,’ Seulgi said.

‘How nice of you. I’m honoured.’

‘Or you can stay here. I don’t care.’

She opened the car and stepped in and after a moment Irene followed. She sat in the passenger seat looking about while Seulgi started the engine. ‘This is nice,’ she said. ‘Really nice. How much did it cost? Must’ve been a lot. I didn’t think cops got paid this much. You’re not on the down-low, are you? You’re not taking a bit extra on the side to cover up some shady or anything like that? I mean, not that I mind or anything. I’m just curious.’

‘Where do you want to go?’

‘Not much of a joker type?’

‘You can get out if you don’t want a lift.’

‘Alright. Alright.’

‘Where?’

‘I don’t know.’

Seulgi turned to her. ‘What?’ she said.

‘I don’t know.’

‘What do you mean, you don’t know?’

‘Well, I mean: I don’t know.’

‘Where do you live?’

‘Are you forgetting I’ve just got out of prison?’

‘Do you not have anywhere to go?’

Irene shook her head.

‘Well. Where do you want to go?’

‘I don’t know.’

‘Stop saying that.’

‘Take me wherever you’re going,' Irene said.

‘I’m going home.’

‘We’ve got a job to do.’

‘Not tonight we don’t.’

‘Tomorrow?’

‘Tomorrow,' Seulgi said.

Irene sat back. She was looking out the window. ‘Well,’ she said. ‘Take me to yours then.’

‘I’m not taking you to my apartment.’

‘Why not?’

‘I’m just not.’

‘I’ve got nowhere else to go.’

‘I’m sure you’ll find somewhere.’

Irene looked at her again.

‘What?’

‘I’m not getting out,’ Irene said.

‘Joohyun, loo-’

‘Irene, please.’

‘What?’

‘Call me Irene.’

‘Why?’

‘It’s what I prefer.’

Seulgi rubbed her head and sighed. ‘Whatever,’ she said. ‘Irene. Please can you get out of the car?’

‘No.’

‘Irene.’

‘I’ve got nowhere to go.’

‘That’s not my problem.’

‘Well. It is.’

‘No it isn’t.’

‘I’m your partner.’

‘No you’re not.’

‘I literally am. And I’ve got nowhere to go. What happened to cops having respect and upholding proper values in society and like that?’

‘What happened to following the law?’

Irene smirked. ‘That’s in the past,’ she said. ‘I’m reformed now.’

‘Uh huh.’

‘Are you going to drive or should I? I’ve always wanted to drive something like this. Seriously though, how much? I’m just curious.’

‘Find a hotel or something.’

‘I don’t have any money.’

‘I’m sure that’s a lie.’

‘You can be sure of whatever you want, sweetheart.’

Seulgi just looked at her. She sat there for a long time saying nothing and Irene refused to move or do anything but smile at her. That smile so infuriating. So superior.

‘Fine,’ she said. ‘Fine. Whatever.’

‘Thank you.’

She started the car and pulled out of the lot in silence and turned left away from 161 and bound for home. Everything had taken on a faint gloom at that time. Irene sat there with her hands in her lap like a child and still she was smiling and Seulgi would not look at her. ‘Are you not going to go any faster?’ Irene said.

‘Faster than what?’

‘Faster than this.’

‘No.’

‘Why not?’

‘It’s against the law?’

‘You are the law.’

‘Are you going to shut up?’

‘Why?’ Irene said. ‘Am I not allowed to ask questions?’

‘I’d prefer if you didn’t.’

‘Well. Thank you, anyway.’

‘Whatever.’

‘God, you’re really boring, you know that?’

‘What?’ Seulgi turned to her a slight as if to still watch the road at the same time.

‘You’re really boring. We’re supposed to be getting along, you know? Bonding.’

‘I don’t care.’

‘How are we going to do this if we can’t be friends?’

‘I didn’t ask to get put with you.’

‘And I didn’t ask to get put with you either.’

‘You can go back to jail if you like.’

‘Are you going to take me yourself? I wouldn’t mind that, honestly. I think I’d quite like to get chained to you. You’re kinda cute.’

‘Shut up.’

They were quiet the rest of the way. About half an hour later they pulled into the underground parking lot and Seulgi parked up the Testarossa and they both stepped out and went on up to Seulgi’s apartment. It was a small place on the fourth floor. Irene stood by the door looking about. The long hallways held a pale glow from the ceilinglights and there was no furniture of any kind and no noise either. Just an eerie silence. She followed Seulgi into the room and Seulgi set her keys down on the table in the kitchen and folded her jacket over the back of the couch and set the kettle to boil. Irene just stood there.

Seulgi turned to her. ‘What?’ she said.

‘What what?’

‘Why are you just standing there?’

‘What do you want me to do?’

Seulgi didn’t say anything. It wasn’t a large place but it did her fine. The kitchen worktop was of a polished marble and everything had a modern sheen and at the far end of the livingroom a small door opened out onto a balcony overlooking the waning glimmer of Seoul as far as they could see it through the murk.

‘Nice place,’ Irene said. Seulgi wasn’t listening. She poured herself a cup of coffee and took a red folder from the table and set to reading it in the livingroom while Irene stood there still in the doorway dawdling. ‘Are you listening to me?’ she said.

‘No. Not really.’

‘Aren’t you going to ask if I want something to eat? Or a drink? I am a guest.’

‘Help yourself.’

‘Not really one for pleasantries, are you?’

‘No.’

Seulgi didn’t even look up. Irene disappeared into the kitchen and all she could hear was the spit of water from the tap and footsteps on the linoleum and the soft flick of the lightswitch and then an oblique brightness from the other room. ‘Can I put some music on?’ Irene said.

‘No.’

‘Can I go to the toilet?’

‘If you need to.’

‘Where is it?’

‘Down there. First door on the left.’

When Irene came back she stood there in the doorway to the livingroom as if not quite knowing what to do and yet entirely comfortable with herself. As if she knew that place intimately. Seulgi turned to her. ‘What?’ Seulgi said.

‘Nothing.’

‘Why are you standing there?’

‘You’re like a teacher or something,’ Irene said. ‘Does everything have to have a reason to it? Am I not allowed to stand here?’

‘That’s not what I said.’

‘Well I’ll stand here, then.’

‘Look.’

‘What.’

‘You can leave, if you want.’

‘What?’

‘You can leave.’

Irene laughed dryly. ‘I can leave,’ she said. ‘I didn’t know I needed your permission to leave. But now I’m glad I’ve got it. Thank you, Miss.’

‘Are you going to do this all night?’

‘Do what?’

‘Annoy me like this.’

‘Am I annoying you?’

Seulgi held up the sheaf of papers in her hand. ‘I’m busy,’ she said.

‘Are those the case documents?’

‘Yeah.’

‘So, what’s the plan then?’

‘We take a look around this address tomorrow. See what we can find. Anything important. Anything leading us to anyone.’

‘Okay. Where is it?’

‘Have you not read the details?’

‘I’ve forgotten.’

Seulgi sighed.

‘Can you not just tell me?’

‘Why can’t you pay attention?’

‘I am. Right now.’

‘I didn’t mean right now.’

‘Well. Whatever.’

‘The letter we got talked of an address.’

‘Yeah, I got that bit.’

‘What bit didn’t you get?’

‘Well,’ Irene said. ‘The address.’

‘133 Sapyeong.’

‘Doesn’t help.’

‘In Banpo.’

‘And where are we now?’

Seulgi rubbed her head and sat back and threw the papers onto the table. ‘You don’t know?’ she said.

‘You drove, not me.’

‘We’re in Jegi.’

‘So, how far then? Half an hour?’

‘In traffic, a bit longer.’

‘Are you driving?’

‘Is this it? Is this what you do?’

Irene looked at her. It was very dim in that apartment. Very quiet. ‘Is what what I do?’ she said.

‘This,’ said Seulgi. She made a motion that said nothing. ‘Asking so many questions.’

‘I’m just curious. It’s the sign of a good detective, isn’t it?’

‘You’re not a detective.’

‘Never said I was.’

‘What do you want, Irene?’

‘See?’ Irene smiled. ‘You called me by my name.’

It was impossible to ignore her, as much as Seulgi wanted to. She stood there in the doorway figured out of the light like a dream or a ghost from a dream. Looking at her was easy and looking away was much harder. She was pretty in a manner that was almost upsetting. As if she was too attractive for what Seulgi deemed her character to be worth. As if she were cruelly gorgeous, effortlessly so. ‘What do you want?’ Seulgi said.

‘I just want to know what I’m doing. What we’re doing.’

‘You’re not here because-‘

‘Because you want me here, yeah. Blah blah blah. Just tell me.’

‘Wheein warned me.’

‘Who the is Wheein?’

‘She’s – Look. It doesn’t matter. Just get to the point.’

‘I am! I have been! Just tell me where we’re going tomorrow.’

‘I did.’

Irene shrugged. That grin on her delicate, subtle lips. ‘I forgot,’ she said. ‘Tell me again.’

‘133 Sapyeong, in Banpo.’

‘Is it an apartment?’

‘Yes, it’s an apartment?’

‘To investigate.’

‘Yes. To investigate. They told me you were the smartest criminal in Seoul.’

‘They did, did they?’

Seulgi nodded. ‘That’s what they told me.’

‘Well. Maybe they were lying. Maybe not.’

‘Or maybe you were.’

‘Maybe I was,’ said Irene. ‘Wouldn’t you like to find out?’

Seulgi looked at her. That smirk on her face so dangerous. And those eyes – Jesus, those eyes. She thought there was something in that gaze she could get lost in for a very long time. Something she would never be able to find her way out of. Her hair long and inkdark over her shoulders in a messy and uncoordinated fall and Irene herself neonglared in the hallway glow.

‘What?’ Irene said.

‘What?’

‘Why are you looking at me like that.’

Seulgi shook her head. ‘What do you want to know?’ she said.

‘Everything. Shouldn’t I know everything?’

‘No.’

‘I think I should.’

‘Look. It doesn’t matter what you think –’

‘Rude.’

‘Just, listen for once. Jesus Christ. I’m leading this investigation, so I’m in charge.’

‘You’re not, though, are you?’

‘Not what?’

‘Leading this investigation. I mean, there are hundreds of others on this case, aren’t there?’

‘Irene.’

‘I mean, I get it – you want to sound bigger and stuff. Cooler. But it’s not quite true, is it?’

‘Irene –’

‘Hey, I’m just saying. Don’t shoot me down for speaking the truth.’

‘Irene, for ’s sake!’

She said nothing. She was just standing there in the doorway with one hand against the frame and that victorious grin on her face and the next moment she was gone. Somewhere out into the hallway and the other rooms or the bathroom or wherever. Seulgi sat there. She checked her phone. Nothing. Not even from Wheein. She the TV and flicked through the channels and turned it off again and sat back rubbing her eyes and trying to think of anything of any significance but it was impossible. All she could think of was Irene – Irene, Irene. How absurdly irritating she already was. How very frustrating.

‘What is your wardrobe collection?’

She turned about. Irene was there again in the doorway. Faint and palely illuminate in the shadowlight. As if she had never moved at all. As if she truly were a dream.

‘What?’ Seulgi said.

‘Your wardrobe. It looks like something out of an eighties’ movie. All those white suits. Even those pants are white. Everything white. Like a man’s wardrobe.’

‘What’s wrong with what I wear?’

‘Did I say there was anything wrong?’

‘You were implying it.’

‘No I wasn’t.’

‘Yes you –’ Seulgi sighed. ‘Look. Whatever. Stop wandering about.’

‘Yes mother.’

‘I’m serious.’

‘Okay. That’s cool. This place is pretty creepy, you know? I mean, it’s nice. But it doesn’t feel like a home. No offense, of course. It’s just that everything feels like you’ve just taken it out of the wrapping. You’re not a serial killer, are you? You’re not going to strangle me in my sleep and wear my face as a mask? Not that I’d blame you. I mean, who wouldn’t want my face, you know? But still.’

Seulgi stood and ran a hand through her hair and turned to Irene. Irene just remained there. As if unsure of what to do but something in those eyes very sure and rather telling. And that ing smirk. Always that smirk. ‘What do you want from me?’ Seulgi said.

‘Want from you?’

‘Yeah. That’s it. That’s what I said.’

‘I don’t want anything from you.’

‘Are you finished then?’

‘Finished?’

Seulgi nodded.

‘Whatever,’ Irene said.

‘Whatever. Then go amuse yourself or something.’

‘I just wanted to know about the case.’

‘No you didn’t. You wanted to make me angry. You wanted to wind me up.’

‘It’s just who I am.’

‘A windup merchant.’

‘Don’t say it like that. That’s how old men say it. Although…’

‘It’s not going to work.’

Irene laughed.

‘What?’

‘Nothing.’

‘What?’ Seulgi said.

‘Nothing. Are you going to tell me when we’re going tomorrow?’

‘I don’t care. I really don’t.’

‘You don’t care when we’re going? Isn’t it your job?’

‘I don’t care to tell you.’

‘Fine.’

Irene turned and shuffled into her shoes and stood looking back at Seulgi with something approaching almost nonchalance. ‘Can I have a spare key?’ she said. ‘And whatever the address of this place is.’

‘No. Why? Where are you going?’

‘Home.’

Seulgi looked at her.

‘What?’

‘Are you ing serious?’ Seulgi said.

‘About what?’

‘You said you were homeless.’

‘No I didn’t.’

‘You ing told me that. In the car.’

‘I said I had nowhere to go. I never said I was homeless.’

‘And yet you’re going home.’

‘Yeah.’

‘Seems like somewhere to go to me.’

Irene shrugged. ‘A figure of speech,’ she said.

‘You’re a piece of , you know that?’

‘For what? For asking for a lift?’

‘For lying.’

‘You don’t even know me.’

‘I know enough about you already. I know people like you.’

‘There’s nobody like me, sweetie.’

‘Shut up.’

Irene giggled. It was a laugh almost childish, taunting.

‘Are you done?’ Seulgi said.

‘Done with what?’

‘Are you going?’

‘Do you want me to?’ said Irene. She was stood with a hand on the door ready to leave. ‘Or would you prefer I stay? Are you warming up to me already? Is that what this is?’

‘I don’t care.’

‘I bet you do.’

‘If you’re going, go. I can’t be bothered with this.’

‘Hey! That’s no way to speak to me, partner.’

‘Whatever. I’m going to bed.’

‘Me too.’

‘Not here you’re not.’

‘You just said you don’t care what I do. Now you’re changing your mind. Do you do that a lot? Go back on your word, I mean. I bet you do.’

Seulgi wasn’t listening. She passed through the hallway and into the kitchen and ran herself a glass of water and drank and disappeared into the bedroom and Irene did not follow.

‘Are you going to say anything else to me?’ Irene said. She was still in the hallway.

‘No.’

‘Right. Fine. I’ll see you in the morning.’

Seulgi had already changed out of her clothes and was washing her face in the sink when she heard the door go. She didn’t look back. It had come out dark in the starless night and she had to squint by the window to make out much of anything save shape of lights and building formed around them like scattered images on a paintboard. She lay down and watched the ceiling. She thought of little at all. The tap in the bathroom dripped maybe two dozen times and as it did she listened to the metronome of each one against the ceramic with her hands folded over her stomach and blowing into the cold timbre of her quietude. She listened for the door. By the time she slept she had still not heard it go again.