Mending the Broken (2)

K-POP Imagines

Evie

 

My resolve was strong enough to get me into the Taekwondo dojo, the place partially hidden in a lot backed by thick green trees. The building itself was an off-white color made of concrete and the austere cut of it emitted a heavy feeling. Unlike the kid-friendly places that I had initially researched, this location only took in adults. I assumed this was a good sign; I wasn’t here to get a gratuitous colored belt, I needed to learn how to protect myself.

When I pushed open the glass doors, I saw that I had managed to come in at the end of a session already in progress. Men and women alike crowded together in a circle, sitting and watching while two men sparring were in the center. Their moves were swift and dealt with precision, every kick or swipe held back just enough to not cause the other harm. One had shorter hair while the other held his together in a small ponytail at the base of his neck.

“Speed is crucial in any fight but especially in a life or death situation. Our purpose here is not only to teach you a fighting style, we’re also here to make sure you understand distance control and moving in and out of harm's way effectively, which will limit the damage that can be done to you.” The short-haired man said suddenly, he movements still going strong, his voice not sounding at all winded despite his aggressive kicks and punches. His body flowed easily into each interchange of moves, not a single bit of effort wasted.

 

The long-haired man’s moves in comparison were short and hard, quickly dealt but held back to an even greater degree than his partner, his body held tightly. His face was mired in a frown, his dark eyebrows furrowed in concentration or maybe annoyance. The match went on for what seemed like forever, but in reality it was barely five minutes. In close quarters the two men ended their fight with neither fully yielding. Both were finally sweating and breathing hard; I could hear their harsh gasps from where I stood, entranced. This was a power I hadn’t thought of, much better I think, then the icy steel that lay in my purse. Fear rose within me when I thought of having to use the gun again but if I could train my body instead, fight like I hadn’t been able to before, maybe I could live once more.

 

The short haired man dismissed the class and the students left to visit the lockers rooms on the far side of the dojo. They talked spiritedly amongst each other and they moved fast from the main room. I approached the two men who still stood in the center of the room in quiet conversation and I waited patiently at the edge of the thick mat that covered a huge section of the floor until they finished. The short-haired man looked at me as I approached, but the other only bent to grab a towel off the ground.

“Hey there, I saw you watching the class. Name’s Jackson: I run the dojo.” He held out his hand and I shook it somewhat reluctantly, remembering at the last minute to show no hesitation. I didn’t want people to know just how damaged I really was.

“My name is Raeven, but you can call me Eve. I want to learn what you were doing.”  Jackson’s smile widened and ran the fingers of one hand through damp hair.

“You can come to our class, we’re open every week. I teach.”

“No, I-,” I interrupted him with trepidation. “I’d like for you to teach me, if that’s ok?” I asked, turning to the man with the short ponytail. He hadn’t spoken but I was eager to hear his voice

“I don’t teach, this is his studio. My brother is the master here,” he said with a voice that was deep but soft.

“Please,” I asked him again, my voice holding a tremor that I didn’t like.

“Why do you want me to help you?” He asked while looking at me, his eyes dark and penetrating.

“Because you didn’t like it,” I whispered, barely understanding what I meant myself.

“What?”

“You didn’t like the violence, didn’t enjoy the sparring. I could tell. I don’t like fighting either so I think you can understand me more, help me more.”

He stared at me, his brown eyes boring into mine. They were cold before but now they burned through me and I resisted the urge to shudder.

“No,” he declared finally and walked away. I felt my heart crumble.

 

“Sorry about that, JaeBeom isn’t the best with words. If you’d rather have a different partner, or a woman perhaps, I have several students who’d be able to work with you,” Jackson said apologetically.

“It’s alright… I know that I’m being an inconvenience but I’ll pay triple for the private lessons if he’s able to teach me,” I stated, no longer as confident. But Jackson eyed me with a considering look before following his brother to where he’d gone to the back of the dojo.

 He didn’t reappear for some time and I had almost given up when I came face to face with JaeBeom once more. His eyes held reluctance and an air of defeat. But what held me where the multiple piercing decorating his face and ears. He had several piercings in each ear, a stud on the right side of his nose and finally two shimmering crystals above his right cheekbone. He was even more beautiful then he’d been before, like a sculptor has formed his features with the utmost care. I almost jumped when he spoke.

“We start this weekend, every day for the next four weeks. You’ll be here at six-thirty every morning. Does that clash with your work schedule?”

“N-no, I work from home,” I blurted out, unable to think straight. Things were moving so quickly, had he really agreed?

He nodded once and his eyes swept over me once again. Maybe I imagined it, but they seemed warmer than earlier.

“Don’t be late.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: And here's another chapter for this story guys! Yes I know they're short but I'm still getting the hang of writing an actual one shot... for some reason it just feels weird to only have the single chapter so every 4k words or so I split it up. But I do hope you guys are enjoying! Remember to COMMENT, UPVOTE and SUBSCRIBE for more content. Much love, <3!