Park Chanyeol

Soulmates

Chanyeol enjoys music, maybe enjoy is an understatement – he lives for music: listening to it, playing musical instruments, singing along to the songs and even dancing, every element of music is his life but what holds his heart above all else is composing music; creating the beats and writing the lyrics. He could spend hours locked in his studio and doing nothing but creating beautiful melodies that make people feel things, make them smile, sing, cry and dance; melodies that moves the heart and soul and may even inspire others.

Tonight, he’s got a rare night off and he needs to get rid of this song that’s been interrupting his job so that is his goal for tonight – no matter how late it gets. The members are pretty understanding when he explained what was happening; how one evening a week or so prior, he was falling asleep and this extraordinary melody unlike anything he’s ever heard, filled with the harmonies of angels, played in his dreams and he found himself dancing with one of those angels, gliding across the floor as they sung in unison.

“Hyung found his soulmate,” Jongin had teased when he finished explaining; two months ago, Jongin had found his own – after creating a scene in the COEX shopping mall, running around like a mad man. “Maybe the woman you were dancing with is your soulmate?”

“The fact that Chanyeol was dancing gracefully proves it was a dream?” Sehun quips, having Chanyeol pretend to throw something in his direction and he flinches with a cheeky smile.

“Maybe he has found her but we need you to focus, Chanyeol. This album isn’t going to write itself and you have a big responsibility this time – having to help compose it.” Junmyeon points out, reminding him that he can’t fail now, he can’t let this get the best of him even when his soul is crying for him to write this song that takes over his mind.

So tonight, that is his goal – his mission.


You stretch, yawning and running a hand over your face as you try to wake yourself up; you had the same dream again, the song you’ve been working on for a music project was playing in your mind while you danced with Park Chanyeol.

Yes, you know who the man is; he may be the happy virus of EXO but you see the hard work he puts into the songs he helps write, the songs he spends hours pouring his heart into and writing the lyrics – you could imagine him, his tongue sticking out of his mouth as he concentrates while scribbling lyrics down in his notebook.

The dream is nice, it helps you sleep soundly and the choreography in your dream seems to fit the melody perfectly and you need to remember to talk to your partner about it for the final presentation. She’s the lyricist while your job is to create the music but together you need to present this uniquely and how else than with a dance.

After getting ready for university, you head to the closest convenience store on your way to the train station; you are terrible for not cooking your own food, you could save so much if you cooked for yourself as you are constantly reminded but it won’t matter when you’ll burn it all – you’re a terrible cook, why no-one remembers this is beyond you.

You hum the song, listening to it through headphones and thinking of all the places you could perfect, where the violins could begin and the beat slow down; you aren’t paying any attention to anything around you until you hear a deeper version in your head of your song and you freeze.

The song had changed from what you imagined, from what you are listening to but not enough to be a different song – it’s the same but different instruments are used in the symphonies, different speeds and it feels sadder in your soul rather than the song of love you have been envisioning.

You try your luck, you know about soulmates and it was partly the reason you majored in music in university, why you learnt how to play the piano and violin but because both your parents met in music class in high school, you felt that you had a deep connection with music and you had hoped your knowledge would help you find your soulmate.

A hopelessly romantic idea but that is you, down to the last drop.

You open your mouth and start singing the tune how it’s meant to be; full of love and hope, not sadness and heartache.

The song gets louder in your head and yet you continue to sing your tune, listening as a deep voice harmonises so easily with you.

A hand rests on your shoulder and you spin around to be looking at the Adam’s apple of a man just a head taller than you.

Park Chanyeol.


The moment you started singing, he knew, he knew that you were the voice he’s been hearing, the face that he’s been seeing and the heart that belongs to him. He harmonised with you so easily, like your voices were made to be together and when he finally saw your eyes, adoring and full of life – he fell in love.

“It’s you.” His voice is so full of wonder and amazement that you are finally standing in front of him while his emotions run on high and he does something he wouldn’t see himself doing with anyone else.

He wraps his long arms around you, surrounding you in his embrace while you feel the songs connect as one in your hearts; arms slowly link around his back and you squeeze back, Chanyeol smiles when he hears you repeat his words back to him.

“It’s you.”