Ch. 16 The Queen

The King's New Concubine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinyoung takes a deep breath before walking forward and into the Queen's chamber.

"Jungjeon Mama, Lady Park is here."

"Send her in."

Sulli and Wonhee bows their head and stayed back, silently praying for Jinyoung's life. Jinyoung confidently walks inside the Queen's chamber, marveling at the luxurious interior much like her own chamber, to be honest, and that makes him uncomfortable.

He bows down to the Queen and offers his greetings.

"This humble servant greets you Jungjeon Mama, if you may let me serve you some tea to start your morning." Jinyoung politely said as the Queen continues to stare at him.

"You may do so Lady Park." The Queen answers while silently watching over him.

The following minutes were strained with tension as the Queen stayed silent until she has the first taste of her tea.

"You are here to be the King's concubine Lady Park, you are here to be one of my husband's woman and I am expected by everyone to welcome you warmly into the palace." The Queen slowly said as he picks her words.

"I will be honest with you, I was a woman is hurt every single time that a new woman is taken inside and presented to be the King's lover." She said as he sips her tea.

Jinyoung lifted an eyebrow but nevertheless listens very carefully.

"As a Queen, I know it's my duty to accept everything for the King but I would like to ask you a question before I accept you."

Jinyoung bows his head.

"I will answer honestly Jungjeon Mama..."

"Are you here to take him away from me?" 

Jinyoung looks at her straight in the eye.

"I am here to survive Jungjeon Mama, you out of all people should understand what I said. I am here with a purpose and I intend to do it for my people and my family. No one can take Jaebum away from your side unless you make him stay away Jungjeon Mama. A mere woman like me has no power over Jaebum for he is smarter than the rest of the royals in here. He decides for himself."

"But you have the power over his heart..."

"Which I didn't intentionally ask for, I didn't force nor seduce him Jungjeon Mama, if anyone is forced here it is me. I want a simple and free life outside but alas this is my fate and I intend to make the most out of it."

"Will you go against me..."

"Maybe...one of these days. It's bound to happen for you love the man who wants me."

The Queen stares at Jinyoung for a while.

"Lady Park, you will be inducted as the King's newest concubine in a week to come. I appreciate your honesty and I hope that whatever happens inside the palace you won't judge as easily as others were."

"Thank you for accepting me Jungjeon Mama...and I am sorry if I and all the other concubines before me pain your heart." Jinyoung bow down, sincerely apologizing for this selfless wife who always sacrifices for the sake of the kingdom. What a burden.

"Stand and let this wonderful news be known."

"Thank you Jungjeon Mama..." Jinyoung stands and turns to go when the Queen speaks again.

"Lady Park, I admire you as a person but let me clarify that I am not a friend. This life inside the palace is a game, I might take some actions that might endanger you. If that is so..please understand that I am Queen and I must do as I must."

"I understand completely."

Jinyoung walks out of the Queen's palace with a heavy heart followed by his strangely silent entourage. His mind keeps on flitting through the Queen's words, she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter