A test of patience

Our Beautiful Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lying down on the sofa in the practice room, Sehun tried to catch a nap. He is exhausted because his schedule has been tight and his free time had been spent choreographing the new dance. Usually, he works with Jongin on the dance choreography but recently, it has fallen onto his shoulders alone since Jongin has other activities. Although he didn't mind working hard on something he loves, it has affected his time with Sumin. Its been almost two months since he met her in Busan. He had wanted to squeeze in a visit but it seems impossible and unlikely possible in the coming months. After the latest album out in a week' time, they would be doing some promos and then a couple of fan meets followed by a festival before the preparation of the year end concerts would start. Squeezing his eyes, he tried to breathe deeply to release the ache he felt in his heart. He missed her terribly. The short calls and messages can only do so much to ease the ache from wanting to hold her in his arms. Sehun could only console himself that it won't be long before she'll be closer. By the time his schedule clears at the end of the year, she will be back in Seoul. That thought kept his sanity in check.

"Hey," Baekhyun called out as he sat next to him.

Sehun opened one of his eyes tiredly. "What? Break can't be over yet?" he groaned.

"No no. Just checking if you are going to the Idol party this Saturday. Chanyeol, Jongdae and Minseok hyung are going. Junmyeong hyung will confirm later. Jongin has schedule."

The party after his break up was publicised, he was tormented by the reminder of Sumin. When he heard the following year that EXO was not performing at the party, he didn't go, choosing to go home and spent time with Vivi. Although they are back together again, he was still not keen to attend.

"Since we are not performing, I'm not going. I need to work on the dance."

Baekhyun knew it was an excuse. On the last party Sehun attended, he got into an intense argument with Taehyung. Taehyung had unfairly accused Sehun of not protecting Sumin. Claiming that he could have done a better job. Sehun lost it that night. He was already heartbroken and it hurt even more that Taehyung was still clamouring after his lost love. Everyone was shocked to see the calm and composed Sehun almost coming to blows. Since then, Sehun had avoided any gathering where Taehyung may attend.

"I think the dance is perfect as it is. Don't complicate it further ok?" he patted Sehun's shoulder before walking away.

 

Sumin was going through the various links that Yerim had provided her. Her heart was beating hard, excited at the prospect of owning her own place. She noted down some comments on each of the properties that she was considerating and trashed those she wasn't keen at all. Just as she was done with all the listing, a skype call from Yerim came in.

"Hey," she greeted Yerim. "Thanks for the links. They are awesome. I have an eye on a few of them already."

They discussed the various properties and narrowed down to the five that Yerim would go and visit.

"Are you going to discuss them with Sehun first?" Yerim asked.

They have not had much opportunities to chat in recent weeks. Sehun had been very busy with his packed schedule. When he called in at night, he sounded exhausted that Sumin asked him to sleep after only several minutes on the phone. But whenever they do have a bit of time, she had asked him for his opinions. Those were enough to give her some ideas. 

"He should be fine with those we are keen on. He is busy right now. " 

Yerim nodded. "Is he visiting you anytime soon?"

Shaking her head, "No. I don't think he has time. But its ok. Its only a few more months to my move."

"Why don't you come over for a visit? Check out the final apartment, meet the bank for the loan..  then maybe can squeeze in a time to see him," Yerim suggested. 

Sumin paused as she gave it some thoughts. She had planned to select the apartment based on Yerim's comments and she had already touched base with a branch of a Korean bank in handling the documentation for the loan in Hong Kong instead. There wasn't a need to go to Seoul at all. 

"Let me think about it."

 

Work has been tough on Sumin too. She is trying to complete the projects ahead of schedule and tie in any loose end before her transfer. Also, her position in Seoul has yet to be confirmed. She had spoken to HR about a month ago but todate, they have not gotten back to her with a firm position in Seoul. She wondered if she should start searching for a position with another company in Seoul if the transfer falls through. She decided to give it a couple more weeks before taking action.

A week later, her boss called her into the office. She had a long meeting with her boss and HR on the transfer. Leaving the meeting, she walked out of the office to the rooftop to make a call. She checked her watch and hoped that Sehun was available to take her call.


Sehun was at the dorm with the members having their brunch. Their practice ended late last night and the guys had woken up later that morning. They have a rehearsal later that afternoon for the showcase that will happen the next day after their latest album is released. Its been a lot of hardwork, but EXO members are very satisfied with what they have pulled together in the album. They are sure that their fans would love it. Hence the mood at the table was lighthearted and relax.

When his phone rang, he quickly picked it up and walked towards the living area to take the call.

"Hello sweetie, what can I do for the love of my life today?" he answered happily. 

Sumin giggled. She is glad that he is in a good mood. He had sounded tired, listless and down in their recent calls.

"Well, someone obviously woke up from the right side of the bed." Hearing his chuckle, she beamed. She is so glad that he is not stress as it worries her incessantly. "What were you doing before my call?

"Eating. We had a late night yesterday and our next schedule is in the evening. So we managed to sleep in this morning and now enjoy a leisurely brunch. Kyungsoo hyung made us delicious food."

"Ahh.. I hope you ate well."

"I did baby!"

"Hun, I have some news."

"Oh, what is it? Good news I believe?" he asked. He knew she had been anxiously waiting to hear about the position in Seoul.

"Hmm.. one good news and one.. not so good one depending on how you see it."

"Oh!" 

"I'll share the good news first, ok?" she asked.

"Ok," his voice has calmed down. Although he is excited to hear the good news, the bad news placed a damper on it.

"I got a promotion," she said softly.

"What?" He was bursting with pride. "Oh sweetie! I'm so proud of you. Good job!  Congratulations. I'm 1000% sure you deserve it," he enthused.

The moment she was informed of the promotion, her first thought was to share it with him. Sumin was grinning away listening to the enthusiastic cheering from Sehun. She heard him proudly sharing the news to the rest of the members, blowing his trumpet as if it was his own personal achievement.

After calming down, laughingly he asked. "Ok, after that good news, I can take the bad one. What is it?"

"You sure?"

"Yeah.. Throw it at me."

"They asked me to stay, extend my contract."

Immediately the smile wiped off his face. Sehun stared blankly ahead, breathing deeply. He cannot bear the long distance relationship. It had been hard. He has been counting the days when she will be back in Korea. Sumin had assured him that she would come back. But that was before the promotion. What now? He doesn't have the confidence to insist that she comes back. How could he when it is her career, and she worked hard at it. But he wants her back.

"Hun, are you there?" 

"Yeah.." he answered softly. His voice is drained of life. 

Sumin felt guilty. She could feel his disappointment. 

"I'm coming back, Hun. I'm not extending."

Exhaling gratefully at the news, he asked ruefuly, "What about your promotion? You've worked hard for it."

"I still get my promotion. It wasn't conditional of the extension."

Sighing in relief, Sehun leaned back against the sofa. "Really? You should have said that earlier. If you are not affected, it is not bad news then," he chided her gently. His heart was in his mouth earlier. The past

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter