Emotional Wreck

Our Beautiful Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The atrium of the Company’s building was filled with employees lounging around waiting for someone from top management to appear. They’ve been asked to gather there for announcement of the plans for the Group’s 50th Anniversary celebrations.

 

Sumin’s mind was on the analysis she had been working on, trying to structure the presentation in her mind while she waited.

 

“Sumin..!” Anna called out.

 

Stepping out of her reverie, she turned her head, “Yes?”

 

“Why must we have everyone here? Why not get the message through our department meetings?” She queried.

 

Sumin shrugged. She had thought of the same when was informed of the gathering. She presumed since it’s the Group’s 50th, it must be a big event.

 

Jin Goo who was looking exhausted, griped, “I hope we are not given additional task. I can barely cope now.” Their small group of friends smiled sympathetically to him. One of his colleagues had resigned and no replacement has been found so far. He had been handling double the work load for the past couple of weeks and the toll can be seen on his face.

 

“Past couple of years, it was just dinner and dance. Someone from each department volunteered to join the organizing committee. So this announcement must be because its going to be more than just D&D,” Freddy redundantly pointed out what was already in everyone’s mind.

 

“Shh..” Suet Ying shushed them as she saw people climbing up the podium.

 

A young VP, the son of the owner of the Group, appeared. Thanking everyone for taking the time out to hear him. He started with a lot of talk about the milestones since the company started by his great grandfather 50 years ago. To celebrate such a huge milestone, the group had planned for three main events targeting different groups of customers. This was met with enthusiastic and thunderous clap.

 

And then he dropped the bombshell. “As this is a group achievement, we want the employee to join in making the celebration a success. All of us will be involved in this month long event. Each of us will be given a part to play because we, the employees will run the show because this is our Company’s celebration!”

 

A deep sigh could be heard behind the now a more muted applause. Those on the stage clapped enthusiastically, persuading the others to join in giving a more enthusiastic response. The applause immediately died down when the young VP left.

 

The Head of Communications step up to inform the group that there will be a golf event for the main customers and suppliers. There will also be the usual dinner and dance, this time grander and called the gala, where some of the employees from the other branches would join them and they will invite their biggest customers.  And then, gleefully he announced the event that is targeted towards their younger customers.

 

“We are going to run a competition/lucky draw to drum up our Company’s branding towards this younger group. This part will be handled by the marketing team. Guess what would they be fighting to win for?” he asked, his face giddy with excitement.  A lot of shouts could be heard… Raising his hand to silence the atrium.

 

“They are fighting for tickets to attend…. A concert, by none other than one of the top, if not the top boyband in Korea.. EXO!!”

 

Stupefied, blood drained off Sumin’s face. Her mind blanked out the screams of excitements and the claps of enthusiasm around her. She couldn’t believe her ears. “NO! NO! NO! Sehun will be coming to her Company’s event,” her brain recoiled at the thought. Her fist clenched tightly, as she tried to breathe deeply. Since her breakdown and her acknowledgement that she still very much in love him and needed him, her emotional state has been a wreck and she is unsure she has the strength to face him. Not when nothing change of their situation,a nd she still can't be with him. Her mind was still befuddled when she felt a grip on her arm.

 

Staring uncertainly at an excited Anna, she blinked trying to get her hearing back.

 

“You, lucky girl,” Anna enthused, beaming widely. “You, and the other three Korean in the company will be part of the team handling EXO Concert!”

 

Sumin blinked furiously.

 

Freddy laughed, “Anna, there are still 4 more spots. Maybe you get one of those spots or you can just glue yourself to Sumin, the two of you are skinny enough to be considered one person.”

 

“I can’t be in the team,” Sumin blurted out.

 

Everyone turned to her, “Huh??”

 

Recovering her senses, she quickly answered, “I’m going on vacation.”

 

“Do you even know when the concert going to be?” JinGoo asked. “Anyway, it didn’t matter, you probably didn’t hear but they said that leave freeze from the month before the celebration. So you can’t go on leave.”

 

Sumin blinked as her mind tried to find an escape route. Turning to Anna, she smiled, “We swapped role. I take whatever they give you.”

 

Jumping happily, “Ok!” Anna shrieked, immediately dragging Sumin to the front where the person in charge is standing. However, Sumin was not allowed to switch role because they wanted all the Koreans, and there are only four, to be part of the EXO concert organizing committee.

 

She trudged slowly to her desk with her mind still trying to find ways out of being part of the Concert. Anna, walking beside her, observed silently. When they reached Sumin’s desk, Anna asked curiously, “Are you an Army?” Sumin blinked, uncomprehending. “Army.. BTS fan?”

 

“What? BTS.. oh.. ahh..” when she finally understood where Anna was coming from. She then gave a weak, non-committal smile.

 

“What do I do?” Sumin spoke softly, her eyes focused on her noodle that has grown mushy from the fork that has been swirling around in the now cold soup.

 

It was their weekly dinner date. It started fine with Yerim talking about her work trip the previous week until she noticed that Sumin was lost in thought. After much prodding, Sumin expressed her worry about having to be involved in the EXO concert.

 

When Yerim pointed out that Sumin was supposedly over Sehun. She was silent until the look on her face told Yerim that clearly that was untrue. Sumin explained that no matter what, she still thought of him, still listen to his old voicemails and that she still dreamt of him. She told about the incident when she broke down in public, heart broken and still wanting him. And now, that the wall she built to protect herself from Sehun has crumbled, she doesn’t trust herself. Especially anywhere near him.

 

Yerim felt this upcoming meeting is fated; it could lead them back together or properly severe the ties between them.

 

Sighing, she consoled Sumin. “Volunteer to take on duty that require no interaction with the group. It should be easy because most people would volunteer for those where they get to see the celebrities.”

 

Sumin nodded in agreement. That’s all she can do.

 

Yerim was right. It was easy to get duties which has no interaction with EXO members. She is in charge of all the backroom work, preparing the things required before the concert, working at the rooms behind the stage during the concert and packing up after the concert, which means she would miss the after concert party. The only time she would be at the stage area was when she has to provide briefing to some of the employees who are assigned as ushers and security for the concert. Those would be done early, before EXO arrival for the rehearsal. The team was surprised at her choices, questioning her for volunteering for the unwanted work. When she assured them that she is truly fine with it, they were delighted at having more opportunity to mingle with EXO.

 

Despite being focused on arranging the packages in the room at the venue, her heart continued to beat fast, just at the mere thoughts that soon, they would be under the same roof. The day before, all the team members except her had been part of the welcoming group, either at the airport or the hotel to make sure that the EXO members are well taken care of and are rested. This morning, she had silently listened to various excited conversations on their meetings with the members. Her ears had pricked whenever his name was mentioned, but she schooled her face to remain unfazed.

 

“Sumin!”

 

She raised her head towards the voice and looked expectantly at Jimmy, another team member who was striding towards her.

 

“Did David find you?” he asked.

 

Sumin shook her head. David is the marketing head, a British guy that was gregarious and often intimidated her by his overly friendly and touchy feely personality. And he seems to have a soft spot for her.

 

“He has been looking for you. Wanting you to take over Adriana’s duty at the after party. But I know you don’t want to be at the party,” Jimmy told her. Sumin was glad that Jimmy understood, though he had, like Anna thought it was because

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter