Importance

Our Beautiful Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hey, I'm on the way to the airport right now. What are you doing, now?" Sehun called Sumin as he sat at the back of the van with Chanyeol, Suho and Jongdae. The rest are in the other van.

Sumin cleared before responding. "I'm on the train."

"Train? You going somewhere? With your mom?" he asked, curious as Sumin did not mention of any such plans.

There was a short silence before she replied softly. "I'm on the way back to Seoul."

Sehun blinked. "You coming back this morning? But you know I'm already leaving, right? I told you my flight..." He stopped himself as his brain started churning.

Sumin stared at the scene outside her train as she waited apprehensively for Sehun to realise the truth. She had regretted her impulsive action. It was never wise to make a decision when you are angry and now no amount of regrets could change it.

"Did you..?" he paused. "You.. intentionally coming back now so that we .. that I.. am gone?" Sehun asked befuddled. Furrowing his brows, he started to feel confused. The idea that she did not want to see him shook him. It can't be true. "You did not want to see me?" he asked, still bewildered.

Sumin clamped her eyes shut, her heart felt heavy as she heard the shock, disappointment and disbelief in his voice.

Sehun was expecting an immediate denial but the accompanying silence hurt so much more. He has been restless and missing her over the weekend and  he had thought she felt the same way. 

"What the hell?" his voice shook. The more the reality dawn on him, the furious he gets. "Tell me why?" 

Sumin chose to remain silent. She could not offer a reasonable excuse for her action.

Sehun gritted his teeth. "Say something!" he hissed, his voice low but hard. He breathed deeply trying to calm his mind that was  in a mess. "I thought you want to see me too. I guess you don't miss me as much as I did," he whispered unbelievingly almost to himself.

"I did. I missed you very much," she replied softly, her voice caught in .

"You sure have a funny way of showing it," he scoffed.

Sumin was offended. "I'm not the only one. Did you really missed me? Did you?"

"Of course I do! I tried so hard to find a way for us to see each other despite my busy schedule," he retorted.

"Right, your schedule," she said.

Sehun detected the sarcasm. "What are you trying to say? I'm trying my best to juggle everything. I asked to adjust your train timing, so that I can at least see you, even for a short while. " 

"Yes, you did. Adjust to suit your schedule. But what about my family dinner? I was already going to be late for it and at the last minute, you called to instruct me to change it to an even later timing.. for the possibility you may be able to send me to the station," she pointed out. The hurt she felt that has been cooling off, came back with a vengence.

Sehun was stumped. In his rush, he did forget that she has a family dinner that night.

"I'm sorry. I forgot about that. But you should have said something," he countered.

"You didn't give me any opportunity to say anything," she reminded him. 

Sehun acknowledged that. He was informed about the fan meet just before he was filming. It has been in such a rush that he had time only to quickly update her about the event and gave her the instruction.

"Just because of that, you refused to see me?" he questioned.

"No. I didn't think you missed me enough to really want to see me. So what is one more week," she revealed.

Sehun was stunned. Its unbelievable that she felt that way.

"How on earth did you conclude that? Have I not tried to find means and ways to see you?"

"If you wanted to see me that much, you would not have agreed to take over from Chanyeol. We barely have any time to see each other, and yet.." her voice cracked and she just stopped. He wouldn't understand.

"Su, It's work. I had to cause no one else could take his place. Junmyeon hyung, Minseok hyung and Jongdae hyung all have important personal stuff," he explained.

She stared into the distance and let the view of the beautiful mountain lift the heaviness in her heart. In a monotone voice, she replied, "I do understand that. That's why I know that I am not important."

Silence.

Sumin kept her eyes trained on the snowcapped mountain as finally, she let her tears trickle down her cheek. Sumin had felt guilty about adjusting her visit home to accommodate Sehun's schedule. It wasn't just any home visit. It is not everyday there is a family gathering. This is a wedding of a close cousin. She was even the bridesmaid and she could not attend the rehearsal. It was guilt tripping her that she seems to prioritise him over her family. His last minute request made it worse. Everyone has their personal commitments, but it seems she is of the least priority. Although at the back of her mind, she knew that he probably didn't do it intentionally, but it didn't take away that he did put her last when she had, time and again prioritise him..

"Su," Sehun whispered. He was speechless when he heard her. It wasn't only what she said that shook him, but her accepting tone that she is of his least priority. He had always make her his priority, so the accusation did not sit well. Yet, he could not deny that he had assumed she would be able to adjust to his schedule. She has always done it, without any complaints. Hence, when he was asked to take over Chanyeol's slot, he didnt even argue or at least tried to keep their arrangement. That was his fault. He could have at least tried to protect their time. He didnt even gave it a fight. She rarely has something that is important to her, yet, he had disregard it. He didn't know how to explain himself. For certain, he didn't intend to make her feel that way.

Sumin heard the remorse in his voice. When he could not speak further, she spoke quietly. "You don't have to explain. I get it.. "

"No, no, no Su. You are very important to me. Please believe me," he persuaded.

"Am I?" she asked softly. "My dad doesn't want me to take a night train because of my safety. You know that. Yet, that also didn't matter... " her voice softly trailed away. 

Sehun felt like he is getting even deeper into the big black hole he is sinking in. How could he have been so thoughtless. Sumin had explained several times why she only take the day trains. Yet, he totally forgot about it. He was so focus on seeing her that he forgot her needs and even her safety. It was unthinkable that he was sorely disappointed when she refused to take th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter