capítulo cuatro

Inner Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"How are you adapting so far Areum? Are you used to everything in Korea?"

Areum looked up from her plate and nodded politely when the elderly questioned her. 

"Yes I am adapting to the life in Korea Mr Oh."

"Did Sehun bring you around the school? I told him that he should help you along since this environment is all new and foreign to you."

Areum directed her vision to Sehun, who was opposite her, eating his steak nonchalantly. Then she simply nod to Mr Oh, telling him that not to worry about her in school. Areum poked her steak and sighed inwardly. This dinner is making her really uncomfortable. Aside Mr Oh, who has been really amicable towards her and showed her lots of concern, Sehun and Mrs Oh definitely lack in hospitality. Mrs Oh was only being nice to Areum, when necessary, because of her husband, it was obvious that Mrs Oh doesn't seem to be very pleased with her. She wonders if there is something to do with her physical appearance, again, because frown on Mrs Oh's face didn't go unmissed when she saw her in that mustard dress with indigo stockings and black Mary Jane.  Her uncle had told her that she looks alright but she figured that it's either her uncle's sense of fashion is as bad as her deceased father, or he simply didn't want to break her heart by commenting how terrible her outfit is. Sehun had the exact same frown, but one with more disgust, on his face when he saw her.

The moment Areum got home after school, her aunt and uncle informed her about the dinner with the Oh's and she didn't have much time to plan her outfit. Not like she has lots of nice clothes, but Areum didn't think that her outfit tonight was horrible enough to shun people away.

"I am done with my dinner," Sehun put his cutlery down and pushed his chair backwards, leaving the dinning table as fast as he could. 

Areum heard a soft sigh from Mrs Oh and at that instant, Areum wished she could dig a hold and hide from the world forever. Is the sight of her really that disgusting to Sehun?

"May I use the restroom?"

"Sure, go ahead."

Mr Oh then called one of the servants to show Areum the way. 

After Areum was done with her business, she walked back to the dining table but she halted when she overheard the adults in the midst of a heated discussion.

"Honey, are you sure you are going to force Sehun marry Areum? Look at how distant Sehun became after you announced this ridiculous engagement!"

Areum recognised the female's voice as Mrs Oh's voice.

"Areum's father is gone now. I am in debt to Areum's dad and so I am obligated to take care of her. I am someone who places high importance on gratitude and we have to be grateful for favours received. That's the only thing I can do to repay his kindness. I am not canceling the engagement. And what's wrong with Areum? She is nice and kind-hearted."

A smile formed on Areum's face. It was nice hearing compliments from someone.

"Are you kidding me? Sure, she may have a heart of gold but look at her size, and face!! She isn't fit to be our daughter-in-law! Honey, we are a family of high status, what would people think of us if Sehun marries that fat girl??" 

Mrs Oh gets more agitated by minute and Mr Oh bellowed, asking her to stop.

"My dear wife, we can't be so shallow. A person's outer appearance isn't everything. If Junmyeon is here, he would agree with me too."

Areum's ears perked. Who is Junmyeon? She ponders.

"Stop using our elder son to guilt-trap me. I am done."

Areum then recalls her uncle talking about the elder son of the Oh's, Oh Junmyeon. Apparently he is now based in Japan as he manages their family business. Judging from Mr Oh's words, Areum wonders if Junmyeon is more caring and more kind than Sehun. Maybe if he was based in Korea, she would be engaged to him.

"What the hell are you doing here behaving like a thief?"

Areum spun around and pat her chest to calm herself down from the fright that Sehun gave. The frown on his face is going to give him wrinkles if he continues doing so.

"Nothing..."

"You know, I really wonder how on earth Joohyun and you are from the same family."

"Joohyun is a goddess, but you look just like a pig. Gosh, if I were Joohyun, I would be so embarrassed to call you my cousin," Sehun continued, with a smug expression. He really has zero filter and he has no idea how hurtful his words are to Areum.

"Even my grandmother wouldn't wear the dress you are wearing."

Areum felt really hurt but all she could do was to stand there and let him lashed at her and vent his anger at her for ruining his life with the engagement. It wasn't her personality to retaliate anyway. 

"You really irk my sight, get the out of my face," Sehun said harshly, and he bumped onto her shoulder intentionally as he walked away.

 

When Areum returned to the dining table, Mr Oh asked Sehun to send Areum. Despite the protests from both of them, Mr Oh had insisted in a firm tone and no one could argue any further as Sehun and Areum don't want to anger the old man. Reluctantly, Sehun grabbed his car keys and went to the garage, with Are

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter