capítulo treinta y tres

Inner Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Upon arriving at the orphanage, the excited kids ran towards Areum and she embraced the kids with a big hug. They were all so happy to see Areum, including the director who welcomed the visitors with open arms.

"Mrs Park!" Areum greeted as she handed a box of cookies to her, "I got you some cookies and Christmas presents for the kids."

"Oh dear Areum, you don't have to! You regular visits are enough to bring smiles and joy to the kids. These are..."

Areum introduced Sehun, Junmyeon, and Joohyun to the director and when she told her about their purpose of visiting, Mrs Park couldn't find words to express her gratitude.

"Hey kids, today I brought two oppas and one eonni along to play with you guys! And we brought lots of presents for all of you!"

The kids cheered as they began to crowd around Junmyeon, Joohyun, and Sehun to receive their presents. Junmyeon, who loves kids, felt really delighted to see how polite and thankful the kids were when they received presents from him. Joohyun didn't have much experience with kids so she was a little taken aback by their enthusiasm but Junmyeon assured her that these kids are just friendly and really excited to see people because it's not everyday to have visitors coming to the orphanage to play with them.

"You look like a prince."

Sehun looked down at a little girl with two pig tails and bangs talking to him in a baby voice. He squatted down to meet her eye level.

"What's your name?" Sehun asked, surprising Areum with his gentle voice and the rare charming smile he hang on his face. Guess Sehun doesn't dislike kids as much as she thought he would be. 

"My name is Aeri."

"How old are you Aeri?"

The small girl shoved a five into Sehun's face, "Five!"

Sehun then handed a present wrapped in pink foil paper to Aeri, "This is for you Aeri."

Aeri flashed a toothless grin before throwing her tiny arms around Sehun, which really warmed Sehun's heart as he didn't see that coming. It has only been a few minutes since he met Aeri and he already adores her. 

"I want to get married to you when I grow up!"

Sehun chuckled, "Why?"

"Because you are like the prince in the fairytale! Aeri is a princess, and a princess must marry a prince, right Aerum eonni?" Aeri turned to Areum, who was watching their heartwarming interaction the whole time.

Aeri let go of Sehun and hugged Areum instead, "Areum eonni is my favourite person in the world."

Areum gasped, "What about mama Park?" 

Aeri hushed and planted a kiss on Areum's cheeks, "It's a secret," She giggled, "Where is Yixing oppa?"

Sehun's face fell flat when he heard that fellow's name. Really, even kids love him?

"Yixing oppa is busy today but Sehun oppa will play with you, okay?"

Sehun told himself that he is going to win Aeri's heart by the end of the day.

It was unexpected for Joohyun to get along with the kids because unlike Areum, who loves kids, Joohyun didn't know how to handle kids. She wondered what she could do for them in order to break the ice and she realised one of her talents was drawing, which garnered the interest of the kids. Initially she was awkward, but soon, she got closer a group of them. She thought the kids would hate her but she realised these kids are angels. Joohyun felt a sense of achievement when she managed to win some of their hearts with her drawing.

"Eonni, can you draw a beautiful house for me?" A little girl with bob hair handed her drawing block to Joohyun.

"Of course!" 

As Joohyun was concentrating on drawing, she didn't realise Junmyeon was approaching her from behind with a little boy, who fell asleep in his arms. He towered her and craned his neck to see what she was busy drawing. It was a house. Junmyeon smiled; some things never change. He remembered Joohyun was a member of their school's art club and she had represented and won at various competition for the school. Joohyun was gifted in drawing and it was nice to know that Joohyun didn't forget that part of her. 

"Nice drawing. You have always been a good artist."

Joohyun was surprised by Junmyeon's presence next to her, "You still remember I draw?"

"Of course, hello, you were the art club president."

Joohyun shook her head and laughed. After she was done, she handed the drawing to the little girl.

"Thank you eonni!"

"You are welcome."

"See," Junmyeon said, "You aren't that bad with kids! They love you."

"I guess so..." 

Joohyun observed the small boy sleeping in Junmyeon's arms. He looked like he was barely two years old and it broke her heart knowing that he got abandoned at such tender age and he had to grow up without his parents. Joohyun caressed the boy's rosy cheeks with compassion. 

"Why did their parents abandon them?" Joohyun mumbled, "It's not fair for the kids... They are still so young, they need their parents."

Junmyeon smiled. His fiancée isn't that heartless afterall.

Sehun, despite the bandage around his arm, and another group of kids were playing catching at the playground. Areum joined in initially but she was out of breath after a while, guess that's the problem of being fat. She can't run for long. The kids were really fast and active, especially Aeri. Her speed actually beats most of the boys at the orphanage and Sehun told her that she should become an athlete instead of a princess when she grows up, causing the girl to sulk for a moment. 

"I am beat!" Sehun plopped next to Areum on the bench, while he tried to catch his breath from all the running, "I am too old for these kids!" 

Areum passed a napkin to Sehun when she saw the perspiration on Sehun's forehead. Then, she also passed him a bottle of water.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter