haunting and possessing

Monsters Within

- someone like you -

"I heard they're going to assign someone to you," Baekhyun said one evening while he walked next to Chanyeol on his way home. As usual, his feet didn't touch the ground and as usual, he half-heartedly attempted to move out of the way of other pedestrians. When Chanyeol barely avoided to bump straight into a bulky guy in a suit, Baekhyun stepped right through the man. Chanyeol threw him a quick glance as he continued his way through the crowd as if he was no different from all the regular people around.
"I mean," Baekhyun continued and moved a little closer so that his voice seemed to echo in Chanyeol's head. He knew how much Chanyeol hated him doing that but he also hated to be ignored. "I told you not to talk to the guy the other day. There are things you're not supposed to meddle with, you know. It's against the natural course of the world and stuff."
In response Chanyeol only rolled his eyes. He really wanted to argue but as long as there were literally thousands of witnesses around him, he could only bite back his words. Maybe he shouldn't have told the guy who had come into the bike shop that one day to get a full medical check-up. Without him the guy maybe wouldn't have realized that he had prostate cancer and wouldn't have ended up stabbing the mother of two little children in an attempt to break into her house. Rather than to hang himself in custody, he maybe would have died a slightly less tragic death. Either way, Chanyeol knew he had not really helped him. If anything, he had only made it worse than it might have been under other cirumstances. But he also didn't think it was fair for Baekhyun of all people to blame him. Chanyeol would have never understood what exactly had been wrong with the guy in the bike shop, if not for Baekhyun gasping, 'Oh, damn, now that is what I call terminally ill.'
"So, I guess they want someone to keep and eye on you," Baekhyun yelled when they walked around the corner to the bus stop and when Chanyeol started dashing off upon realizing that his bus was about to depart without him.
"It's probably going to be someone more like you," Baekhyun said when he reached Chanyeol who bent backwards to take a deep breath after he had hit the back door of the bus while running like an idiot. Of course the bus driver had not stopped for him. Bus drivers were s.
Chanyeol let out a deep sigh and let his gaze wander around them. The only other people at the bus stop were a boy in a school uniform with massive headphones and an elderly lady who probably couldn't hear well. He took another step away from them, just to make sure, and then stared at a billboard on the opposite side of the street when he hissed, "Where did you even hear that?"
Baekhyun grinned while he attempted to block his view. "I do have my own network of informants."
Chanyeol looked down at him and snorted in amusement. There were times when he felt as though Baekhyun was better informed about the world than him despite not being able to use the internet. Whenever he disappeared for the day to let Chanyeol work in the shop, he came back with all kinds of gossip, most of which was worse than watching celebrity news on TV. But exactly that was what bothered him a little. Baekhyun's normal gossip was never about them and although Chanyeol had got warnings before, he had never believed that people like Baekyun really cared that much about him. His actions rarely had grave consequences because his main goal in life was to appear as normal as possible.
"Someone more like me," Chanyeol finally whispered in thought and took out his phone to scroll through his latest texts. "What's that supposed to mean anyway?" he asked while he wrote a reply to his mother who had asked when he was going to be home for dinner. They supposedly had a guest.
In front of him Baekhyun gave him a strangely listless glance and then turned towards the street so that Chanyeol's gaze unwillingly followed him. It had been ten years now and they both knew how they were different but Baehyun still refused to put it into words. Of course Chanyeol knew what 'a person like him' was like. A person like him was someone alive who could see people who were not. But that wasn't really his question. The question was what kind of living person could be sent to keep an eye on him. What kind of living person was employed by the dead? So far all the warnings had come from ghosts.
"Well," Baekhyun eventually shrugged and for a moment Chanyeol thought that he was going to change the topic. "Apparently, exorcism is still a thing," he said in a strange tone that made shivers run down Chanyeol's spine. Those like Baekhyun sometimes had the ability to chill the air around them.
Chanyeol blinked. "What, they're going to send an exorcist?" he asked louder than intended and the elderly lady threw him a nervous side glance. He took another step away from her and quickly whispered, "I'm not possessed. They know that, right? You're haunting me. You're not possessing me."
Rather than to immediately respond, Baekyhun let out an indignated noise. Baekhyun himself didn't think of it as haunting. He only, as he liked to phrase it, hung out with an old friend, so he clicked his tongue before he said, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure they know the difference. And well, I don't know. I only heard rumors anyway. Maybe they want to hire you."
"I can't be an exorcist," Chanyeol muttered. Just the thought was ridiculous. To him possessions were something he had only seen on TV. Women who went to see shamans to talk to their dead husband and then the shaman summoned the spirit and became possesssed for a little while. Or children who were possessed by demons and spoke in tongues and hung upside down on the ceiling. He had never really thought about it as real. But hauntings were not supposed to be real either.
"Yeah, well, I'm not asking you to be one," Baekhyun said meekly. "I only thought I should warn you."
"Well, ," Chanyeol said and only registered that his bus arrived when the elderly lady cleared in offence as she walked by him.


- someone like them -

"I heard you're getting a trainee, hyung," Jongdae said and took a sip of his hot latte. When he accidentally burned his tongue and then nearly spilled the latte over his new sneakers, he swore under his breath and nearly lost Minseok in the crowd. Of course this was in part due to the fact that Minseok wasn't very skilled at dealing with other human beings in general, but Jongdae also knew that Minseok had always avoided to share his knowledge. In the Office there were four summoners and although Minseok arguably was the most skilled one left, he had always passed new recruits on to Junmyeon. And while it was true that Junmyeon had managed to train Jongdae and Yixing to become somewhat skilled summoners, he had also recently scared off one very talented recruit and in the end none of them had ever learned all the tricks Minseok could do. It had always only been a question of time until their higher-ups would force Minseok to finally act up.
"Have they already told you who it is? Is it another guy?" Jongdae asked Minseok when they stepped into the elevator.
"I think it's a guy," Minseok said in his thin voice and fumbled with the lid of his hot chocolate. It was the first thing he had said to Jongdae since they had greeted each other in the subway twenty minutes earlier. Between then and now Minseok had only spoken to the lady in the coffee shop around the corner.
"Haven't they briefed you yet?" Jongdae asked and Minseok half shrugged, half shook his head. He obviously knew more than he let on, but Jongdae knew not to push him. So he only nodded and looked at his feet. He really shouldn't have bought white sneakers. They already looked slightly greyish. "It would be really nice if they could bring in a girl for once," he then said in an exasperated tone.
Minseok was nice enough to give a quiet chuckle.

"I heard it's someone they've kept an eye on for a while," Junmyeon said while he prepared himself a pot of tea that came in an incredily expensive-looking box. He was the kind of person who was so used to wealth that he was suprised whenever someone deduced that his family probably was rich. One cup of his tea and his fine leather shoes were probably worth more than Jongdae's life. In their small office kitchen he looked like a king who had accidentally walked into his servants' quarters.
"But they didn't recruit him?" Jongdae asked.
"Well," Junmyeon said while he poured hot water into his pot and wrinkled his forehead in concentration. When he finished, he continued, "Apparently they thought of doing that but then they decided that it was too much of a risk. He seems to have a companion."
"Huh," Jongdae said and put his hands in his pockets. It wasn't rare to be followed by a ghost or to be attached to one. After all, most people like them only were in this business because they had been unable to deal with someone's death. Jongdae himself had seen his brother's ghost for almost a year until the people from the Office had approached him. Still, it was rare that someone kept a companion. He wondered what kind of ghost the companion was but knew that, even if Junmyeon had known more about it, he probably wouldn't have told him. These things were private. No one wanted to talk about the reason why they saw ghosts because just by definition it would have been a traumatic one.
"So why recruit him now?" Jongdae then asked. "Has the companion disappeared?"
"I don't think so," Junmyeon said and folded his arms in front of his chest while he leaned against the kitchen counter. He clearly was in the mood to talk and seemed relieved that for once he wasn't the one who had to jump in and save someone. "You see, I have heard about him every now and then ever since I started working here and he seems to be a really peculiar case. He has been given several warnings and Minseok-hyung was told to watch him before, but I don't think he was ever supposed to make contact. They probably would have just left them alone but a while ago the guy seemed to have done something that caused a bit of an issue."
"An issue?" Jongdae frowned.
"I don't know the details," Junmyeon said in the voice of someone who normally knew all the details and found it hard to comprehend that he now didn't. "But apparently it was major enough for them to understand that they can't keep him unsupervised any longer. I don't think they really know what to do with him yet though. With the companion by his side, he probably can't work as a summoner."
"Right, that probably wouldn't work," Jongdae nodded and scratched his neck. Not every ghost was a cloud of half-remembered moments. Some of them were capable of thoughts and of making decisions. He knew that because, after all, they worked for ghosts and with ghosts and against ghosts. But the ghosts in the Office were not young like the one around the new recruit. "So what's Minseok-hyung supposed to do?" he asked and Junmyeon shrugged a little too quickly.
"Assess the situation and act accordingly, probably," Junmyeon said vaguely as he took his tea pot and a tiny cup and attempted to leave the kitchen.
"No wonder they're sending him then," Jongdae noted. "I thought they simply wanted to involve him more but I guess in this case they had no choice but to send him."
It was only when Junmyeon let out a strange noise of apprehension as walked back to his desk, that Jongdae realized that he had probably made a thoughtless comment. They all had limitations in comparison to Minseok who seemed to have spent the greatest part of his life as part of the Office. Minseok was a hurdle none of them could ever jump and they all knew that. But none of them tried as hard as Junmyeon.
Junmyeon, the one who trained new recruits and arranged duties and watered the plants and bought snacks and who studied Latin and Chinese in order to read more of the ancient texts.
Junmyeon, the one who was always just the number two because whenever there was a real challenge to master, the higher-ups chose Minseok.


- someone like her -

"I heard she has a degree in modern art from one of those fancy American universities," Yura said and threw a grape at her brother when she noticed that he started to space out again. He immediately snapped out of it with a strange expression, as if he was afraid that she had seen something she wasn't supposed to see. Yura honestly wondered what it was Chanyeol saw in his imagination sometimes.
"Yeah?" he then asked in a deliberately disinterested tone and continued to put the dirty dinner plates in the dishwasher. "Which one?"
"No idea," Yura shrugged while she picked up the grape upon realizing that her brother was not going to bother. "Somewhere in California I guess? Surprisingly enough, our neighbourhood gossip didn't go into that much detail."
"America is big," Chanyeol noted as he closed the dishwasher and wiped his hands on his jeans like a child. "So what now?" He looked at her expectantly and obviously wanted to change the topic to their task at hand. Chanyeol never wanted to help with any kind of housework but after the charming dinner with their old neighbour's daughter Saebyul, he had insisted on clearing the table while his parents sat with her in the living room to talk about the good old times. It was odd.
"Didn't you date her?" Yura asked and apparently startled him enough that he choked on his breath and had to hold onto the kitchen counter behind him like a drowning man.
"Is that what this is about?" he asked in a strangled voice but didn't answer her question.
For a moment she just frowned at him with her hands on her hips. Then, she said, "Look, I know for a fact that you dated. Just like how I know that you spent days moping around when her family moved away. What I don't understand is why you suddenly act as if it phyically hurts you to talk to her."
For a second he fixated a spot to his left. It was a nervous tick he had developed as a teenager and she would have lied if she had pretended not to be worried about it every single time. When Saebyul's family had emigrated to America, she and Chanyeol had been fifteen or sixteen. Back then he had been a different person.
"When was the last time you dated anyone anyway?" she asked and although she meant it in a joking manner, she knew how accusatory she probably sounded.
In return Chanyeol only shrugged and she sighed. For all she knew, Saebyul had been the last of his girlfriends. She had been so lucky to meet him in that period of his life when he had actually been sociable. By now, he either hid in his room or in the shop where he sold and repaired bicycles without any real aim in life. He had no friends, no money, no career and no one to talk to but his family. And as long as he stayed that way, Yura found herself unable to finally leave her parents' house and move on with her life. Because of him she had refused a job proposal and had watched a loved one leave her behind.
But rather than to tell her brother that, she put the grapes on a plate and picked up an apple to peel. "Let's prepare the fruit," she said more to herself than to him. He watched her impassively and she knew that he was spacing out again.
Maybe she had been too naive. When her mother had told her that Kim Saebyul had come back to visit her relatives who still lived in the area, she had insisted on inviting her for dinner because part of her had hoped that maybe it would bring back the person her brother had been.


- someone like me -

'We heard that the companion is highly visible, even for those like you. Go to the school and you probably will not find it hard to spot him.'
Those were the first orders Minseok had received concerning Park Chanyeol almost ten years earlier. He had been eighteen then and had approached the school in his own black school uniform. At first he had considered stealing one of the blue and grey uniforms to better blend it, but after waiting in front of the school for a little while, he had spotted the two easily enough. To a regular summoner they probably would have both appeared to be human. The companion had almost seemed alive then.
"What is your assessment?" one of the Nameless Ones had asked as it had appeared next to him while he followed the boy and the companion.
"They seem stable," he had said because he had not known how to phrase it. A ghost who seemed as solid as the companion normally leeched off a host. But the boy hadn't seemed sick or weak. They had both looked like regular students.
"Your suggestion?" the Nameless One had asked in a voice like a storm at night.
"Recruit him. Get rid of the companion," he had said and the Nameless One had let out a noise that had sounded like laughter.
"Your reason?" it had asked in a curious tone.
Minseok had looked at it in puzzlement because he had not understood why they would have brought him if not to recruit the boy.
"I'm not sure you should leave him like this," he had said.

In the years after that he had been asked multiple times to check on Park Chanyeol and at first, he had naively believed them to be genuinely worried about the boy.
But every time that Minseok was asked to make an assessment it was the same. Park Chanyeol finished high school and went to university and started to work full-time in a bike repair shop and the companion was always with him. Over the years the companion had faded out a little but it never stopped looking like a regular student in a crisp school uniform. There were no fizzled out edges, no hazy details, no unnatural shapes. And Park Chanyeol himself, too, seemed normal and healthy enough.
So whenever Minseok was asked, he said, "They look stable." Because they did. To the untrained eye they probably looked like the ideal case of a companionship.
But still, his suggestion never changed either.
"Recruit him. Get rid of the companion," he said time and time again, but no one ever did anything and it took him a while to understand why.
Park Chanyeol was a case study to them. Once in a while they sent him a Nameless One to make sure that he stayed in line and didn't misuse his powers, but they never really interferred. No one from the Office approached the companion either to make sure that they both knew as little as possible. They wanted Park Chanyeol to think that he was a special case. They wanted to see how far he could push himself before either he broke down or before the companion changed.
It worried Minseok for years because to him the situation had always looked like the calm before a storm. He knew that ghosts didn't simply live off the power of friendship. Something drove the companion, something that made him stay clear and that did not interfere with his hosts health. Whatever it was however, Minseok didn't believe that it would not affect the host at all.

And then Park Chanyeol changed a life.
And it wasn't a big issue, not to them. A man died earlier than he should have and someone else got hurt, but they still did not see a reason to interfere.
But this time Minseok couldn't continue to look the other way.
"Let me recruit him," he said.
"Recruit the boy, get rid of the companion?" they asked in an amused tone like waves slowly rolling into shore.
"Recruit the boy and figure out what to do with the companion," he said and tried to keep his voice stable. After years of working for them, he still feared the voices and he knew that he probably couldn't reason with them. But he was not asking for permission this time.
"I will talk to him even if you won't let me," he continued and tightened his grip on his folded hands behind his back to stop them from shaking. They didn't say anything but he felt surrounded by waves crashing into rocks. "He probaby thinks he killed someone."
"He didn't," the voices whispered.
"I know," Minseok said a little to quickly, like an impatient child. "I know that," he repeated and looked at the floor as if there was an logical reasoning written there. He rarely tried to explain himself. Normally he simply did what he was told. "But I doubt he does. And he was left alone with a ghost for years now and well, he looks stable but..."
"But?" they asked.
"But," he said once more and pressed his lips together before he continued, "But we never got close enough to ask him whether he really is okay."
There was a long sigh like the distant sound of the open sea.
"You won't be stopped?" they asked.
And he hesitated because he wasn't used to making his own decisions. But then he said, "You would have to kill me to stop me." Even to him his voice sounded unusually cold.

So he then found himself in front of the bike repair shop one morning with no clear idea how to proceed. Recruiting was not his forte but he could hardly ask Junmyeon to do what he himself had threatened to do.
He took a deep breath before he finally opened the door he had walked past dozens of times and was met with a metallic smell. A small bell rang above him and behind the counter at the far end Park Chanyeol looked up while he spoke on the phone to someone.
"Well, if you bring it here today, we can probably repair it by tomorrow," Park Chanyeol said and gave Minseok a quick smile to signal that he had seen him. "I think we have all the necessary parts."
Minseok looked around. Now that he was inside, he realized just how many bikes there really were inside the shop. They hung on the walls and stood in rows and made him feel strangely claustrophobic because they made the room small and crowded. What he didn't see was the companion but he felt its presence lingering.
Then he suddenly felt coldness creeping up behind him and his heart skipped a beat when the companion appeared in front of him after passing right through him. He must have come from outside and didn't even look around. With a voice that sounded both human and like the rustling of leaves he announced, "Chanyeol, you have a customer."
Park Chanyeol looked at the companion for a split second and then pretended not to notice him as he came closer while he continued his call. The companion bent over the counter to look at his scribbled notes but then seemed to get bored when Park Chanyeol didn't acknowledge his presence. It probably was the same spiel they had kept on for years. With others around, Park Chanyeol couldn't react.
"Well, sir, we will be able to assist you shortly," the companion said loudly as he turned around and behind him Park Chanyeol put his hand over his ear in annoyance. The companion put the corners of his mouth up in a corny smile as he mustered Minseok and then frowned when he seemed to notice something.
"I can wait," Minseok smiled and the companion's eyes widened.
"Oh, ," he said and moved further to the right. When Minseok's gaze remained fixated on him, he muttered, "You're the ing exorcist."