CHAPTER 4

Indeed, Strawberry Is The Sweetest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae’s side of the story

    Donghae’s first encounter with Lee Hyukjae wasn’t the time when his brother introduced the said guy to him on school during recess. 
It was actually one cold day, no bright sun, no pouring rain… just a boring dark sky and it made Donghae’s mood darker. He was already having a bad day because his girlfriend, Yoona dumped him for Taecyeon, her classmate. School just started a week ago and here he is, dealing with a break-up already. Donghae wanted to hurry going home since he’s itching to let out every frustration on his system because of what happened but to make the matters worse, he should still wait for the bus. 

Their family’s driver is on a leave and his parents are busy with their works while his brother is busy with club activities… so, no one’s there to pick him up.

The poor boy was sulking on the bus stop, tears threatening to fall when out of nowhere, a Strawberry Milk suddenly popped out in front of him. He stared at it for a few seconds before lifting his head up to see a boy around his age, wearing the same uniform as him with a tensed smile plastered on his face.

“N – Nothing beats a sweet in a bad day.” The boy said but even with his calm façade, Donghae could sense that the guy in front is nervous – even a light shade of pink can be seen throughout his cheeks. 

He didn’t take the offer. “Wh – Who are you?” he asked instead.

“Doesn’t matter. Here. Take it. I think you needs it more than I do.” and the boy shook the Strawberry Milk, urging him to take it.

Donghae eyed the carton, contemplating whether to take it or not because first…

“… I’m not fond of Strawberry.” He reasoned out, it’s true though. He prefers apple or orange when it comes to fruits and chocolate or vanilla when it comes to flavors. But he said it with a soft voice, not to offend the guy.

The latter’s bright smile faded and it was replaced by a pout. “People who hates Strawberry tends to be boring.”

'Is he calling me boring?!' Donghae was caught off guard by that. He doesn’t know what to answer or if he should answer. He remained awkwardly seated in his position, staring at the guy who’s still handing him the carton.

A moment has passed and the guy seemed to tire his arms, he put it down and scratched his head while looking down at the ground, cheeks getting more red.

“W – Why do you care so much?” Donghae managed to ask.

The guy looked up at him, he can see how tender and sincere those eyes are.

“I – I… well… I don’t know but, I always care so much Lee Donghae.”

With that, his eyes got bigger, the boy said it in such a tender voice. Donghae doesn’t know why but it feels like it means so much more than it should. Something in his heart twitched, there’s suddenly a knot inside his stomach. He didn’t bother to ask how on Earth did he know his name because truthfully speaking, everyone in campus knows him however, hearing it from this boy made his name sound so sweet.

“I bought this for myself… but then I saw you sulking here a-and I thought of cheering you up. I – I accidentally saw what happened earlier.” The guy continued, talking about Yoona dumping him. “If—If only I know that I’ll be seeing you here, I should have bought chocolate milk instead.”

The guy’s face softened, regret was evident in his voice. Donghae was touched in an instant. He felt the sudden urge to cheer this boy up. Without a second thought, he stood up, held the guy’s elbow and took the carton of Strawberry milk from his hand. Shock registered at the other’s face but he just smiled at him.

“You’re right, maybe I really need this.” He put the straw and took a sip. “Thank you.”

The other smiled again. This time, it’s wider than earlier and it’s no longer tensed or nervous… it was rather genuine and beautiful. And Donghae was suddenly reminded of the sun and rain at the same time. Sun, because it was so bright, it radiated the whole place and rain because it was his favorite… and just like the rain, this guy’s smile has become his favorite too.

“I’m glad to be of help.” The boy said. “Have a good day and enjoy your drink, I need to go! Bye!”

After saying those words in a hurried tone, the guy ran so fast without looking back, surprising Donghae. He wanted to stop him, he wanted to ask his name before he goes out of sight, but he was too shock with the sudden movement to even speak.

“No big deal. I’ll still see him on school.”

He smiled and took a sip again. In his opinion, Chocolate is still sweeter than Strawberry—but really… chocolate can’t make him smile like this after a break-up.

‘Nothing beats a sweet in a bad day, huh?’

Instead of a sad, pouting face, he welcomed the bus with a smile while taking a sip of the sweetest Strawberry Milk he ever had.

 

Once at home, Donghae didn’t let go of his frustration like what he thought earlier. Instead, he became busy with his phone, checking SNS. He has lots of messages, one from his best friend Kyuhyun who was asking him if he’s okay and telling him that he’s sorry for not being there with him and the other messages were from his girl schoolmates, comforting him about the break up and some were hinting him to date them instead.

He thanked the concern ones in his inbox before typing a reply to Kyuhyun. The latter was absent today that’s why he was all alone. He hasn’t got any friends on their school except for Kyuhyun. Donghae might be popular and all but he wasn’t the friendliest. He’s just popular because he’s rich, handsome and a member of the soccer team.

He was in the middle of typing a message when he heard the gates of their house opening. It was probably his brother.

The door opened and he was right. It’s indeed Sungmin and he looks worried, annoyed and… wait – the older's hair and uniform is messy... out of anything, his hyung is always organized and on point, he barely see him with a messy hair and disheveled clothes so, what’s with him today?

“Don’t give me that look, I just beat the hell out of someone.”

Donghae’s heart beat in a rapid pace, he thinks he knew what this is all about. He let go of the phone, put in on the coffee table in front and focused his attention to the older.

“Don’t tell me…”

Sungmin rolled his eyes and sat next to him. 

“They should have told you earlier. I understand that she fell out of love but to make a fool out of you when they could just tell you earlier?! Those kids are seriously stupid! Taecyeon even told me they were seeing each other since summer vacation. The nerve!” His brother said through gritted teeth.

“You beat Taecyeon?” Donghae doesn’t know how to react.

“Yes…”

“And Yoona?” 

His hyung looked at him with a glare. “I maybe harsh and all but I never hit a girl in my entire life! Although, I gave her the most disgusting glare I could.”

“Relax!” he raised his arms as if surrendering. “I’m just asking you.”

“Whatever!” Sungmin deadpanned and took a glance on his phone on the coffee table. “And what are you doing? I thought I’d come face to face with my younger brother crying his out because his girlfriend for almost 6 months dumped him like a hot potato but instead you’re asking Cutie Cho if he knew a guy with pale skin, beautiful smile, single eyelids and plump lips who loves Strawberry! Only lovefools say some cheesy stuffs like that!”
Donghae immediately hide his phone, cursing himself for being forgetful. Now, Sungmin knew he was searching for a guy! He saw his message to Kyuhyun!

“What’s with you? Your girlfriend just dumped you and here you are, already searching for some guy who loves Strawberry? And I thought my baby brother was so broken-hearted, making me mad as . I don’t even know that you’re interested with guys!” Sungmin stood up and head for the stairs, rubbing his temple.

“Goodness! These children will be the death of me!”

‘God! How am I supposed to talk to him without getting speechless?’

Yes, he loves talking with his hyung but sometimes, he would just find himself with mouth agape because Sungmin would start talking nonstop, saying overly dramatic stuffs.

‘I just want to know him though.’ Donghae thought and an image of a boy with a bright smile popped out in his mind...

“OMG! DONGHAE-AH!”

…but the image was suddenly gone when he heard a loud shriek coming from his hyung’s bedroom.

“What?! What?!” he ran his way upstairs, slightly panicking.

What if there’s suddenly a thief and it was hiding inside his hyung’s bedroom?!

He quickly pushed the door open but there’s no thief at all. His brother was lying comfortably on the bed with big eyes while raising an index finger.

“Pale skin? Single eyelids? Plump lips? And Strawberry!”

“What?!” he asked in an exasperated voice. He panicked for nothing!

“Does this guy we’re talking about has a thin frame too?"

‘Why are you asking?’ Donghae wanted to voice out but instead he subconsciously said a “Yes.”

Sungmin smiled cheekily at him. “I’ll make you meet my best friend one of these days.”

“Best friend? I know that your friends with the whole campus but I never heard you’re someone’s best friend.”

Donghae wasn’t exaggerating. His brother is also popular in the campus but has no permanent clique. He tends to accompany anyone… unlike him, Sungmin is friendly and easygoing. He gets along with almost everyone but has no closest friend.

“He’s a new friend, we are seatmates. I’m actually hanging out with him since the first day of school… and well he’s relatable, I feel like I’ve known him for years.”

It’s been almost a month since school started and Donghae haven’t heard of this new friend of his brother. 

***

“We just have to look for a guy with single eyelids, pale skin, thin frame and plump lips, right?

Donghae nodded at his friend’s question. It’s Monday morning and usually, many students go to school a little late during Mondays but here's Donghae and Kyuhyun who went to school earlier than they usually do just to find the ‘Strawberry Guy’. They are in the hallway, leaning back onto their lockers and watching out on students, hoping to find the guy he was searching for.

“Look! Taecyeon's bullying someone again!” 

Kyuhyun tugged onto Donghae’s shirt to get his attention. He looked at the direction his friend was pointing and swear – he suddenly felt the urge to choke Taecyeon into oblivion.

The students gasped in shock when the bully poured all the content of Strawberry Milk to the poor guy who was on the ground, his plump lips were bleeding and his single lidded eyes lingered on the floor, as if he was embarrased of the attention he's getting—and no one even had the guts to stop what was happening!

“That er!”

“Yah! Where are you going?” Kyuhyun asked Donghae who's currently making his way through the crowd. He confusedly followed his best friend but even before they could get nearer, the poor boy ran away with clenched fists and teary eyes.

“Ugh! Let’s go, Taecyeon… he’s a loser anyway.” Yoona said as she was tugging on the bully’s hand. They are about to walk away when Donghae blocked their way.

 

Donghae celebrated in his mind when he saw a bruise on Taecyeon’s jaw, he guessed it was from his brother yesterday.

“Here comes the ex-boyfriend!” The guy mocked.

“You seemed to be enjoying your morning, huh?” He said nonchalantly.

“Look here ex-boyfriend, I j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter