Chapter 1: Beat of my Heart

Spring Day

The thumping of the music was agonizing as his girlfriend dragged him upstairs into an empty room, closing the door. He sighs as she lets go of his hand, facing the other way. He takes a deep breath, he knew he was coming but he figured it would be better if he at least pretended to not know why his girlfriend of one week is dragging him into an isolated room. She turns around facing him.  

“I want to break up,” she says looking at him directly in the eyes. Jungkook exhales loudly, not sure of what to say. He has been dumped at least twice in this month alone and all the years getting into relationships and getting dumped a few weeks after, this was the shortest amount of time he dated someone. And to this day, he still doesn’t know what the right thing to say is. He wasn’t bothered by the break up which is one of the reasons his relationships never last.

“If that’s what you want?” he replies, staring at his shoelace that was loose. He sighs irritated.

“If that’s what I want?” she roars, glaring at him, “This cold attitude is…such a disappointment! I hate you!”

Before Jungkook utters a word, she turns around and stomps out of the room, slamming the door shut behind her.

Looks like I’m single again.

Jungkook ruffles his hair, “,” he mumbles underneath his breath. Jessica was among many of the girls and boys who asked him without really knowing him. The words she uttered were nothing new to him, and she was not someone he was willing to put time into knowing either. They all come confessing their feelings on him and putting a burden on him to accept and then get disappointed when he turns out to be different from their expectation.

So damn selfish!

 

He looks at his watch, it was way past midnight and no longer in the mood to party, he heads back downstairs where his friends are. Sorority House party was not his way of having fun but was dragged to the party by his best friend, Jimin. He walks over to the couch where Dahyun and Taehyung sat with bottles of beer in their hands, chitchatting.

“Hey,” he says, sitting down and picking up a bottle of the table.

“Hey, got dumped again?” they tease, bursting out laughing. Jungkook rolls his eyes, scanning the living room.

“Where is Jiminie?”

“Hmm? I saw him going to the kitchen,” replies Dahyun. Jungkook nods his head, placing the bottle down, and getting up. He comes his way through the crowd of drunk college students drying humping each mistaking it for dancing. Over the roar of music, chatters could be heard, unable to make out any words, but laughter rang in his ears and wouldn’t seem to stop. The song that was playing got louder. He spots Jimin in the kitchen standing with someone unfamiliar, as usual guys were always hitting on him. Jungkook clears his throat as he makes his way towards him.

“Hey.”

“Who the hell are you?” roars the guy.

Jimin peers and catches his gaze, “Heyyyyy…Kookie,” he says stumbling as he makes his way towards him. Jungkook chuckles as he catches him before he falls down.

“Too much to drink again?”

Jimin laughs wrapping his arms around him into a hug.

“Hey, I thought was gonna party?” says the guy.

Jungkook scoffs, “Not a chance.”

He holds on to Jimin as they make their way out of the kitchen. He walks towards where Dahyun and Taehyung were.

“I’m gonna take him,” he says.

“As always,” says Dahyun.

“Bye,” says Taehyung.

 

As soon as they were out of the house, Jungkook let go of him as Jimin burst out laughing.

“Carry me,” he says.

“No, you can walk by yourself,” says Jungkook, “I know you were pretending to be drunk in the kitchen.”

Jimin pouts, crossing his arms. Jungkook was aware of his tricks, always pretending to be drunk when a guy or girl at a party hits on him, waiting for Jungkook to come to save him, playing along with him. As much as he loved to drink, his alcohol tolerance was high, he got drunk but never to the point of drunken stupor.

“Please carry me,” says Jimin.

Jungkook sighs, “Fine.”

“Cool,” says Jimin, jumping on his back, landing firmly on his back, his arm around his neck as his legs wrapped around his waist. Jungkook gives up and uses his arms to support Jimin and hold him so he is comfortable. His heart skips a beat as Jimin’s hair brushes against his cheek.

 

The campus light was on, aside from distant chatters here and there, it was pretty quiet. The party was not close to their dorm nor was it far away from them to drive so they decided to walk instead. He peers up at the sky, pitch dark and yet gave a sense of warmth springing from the cold. It was a vastness to bring humbleness and an eternal space to bring gratitude for the coziness of home. A soft chuckle escapes his mouth, as he unconsciously slowed his pace- enjoying the moment.

 

When they reached their room, twenty minutes later, Jimin had already fallen asleep. Not wanting to wake him, Jungkook slowly reached in his pocket, taking out the key. He slowly opens the door, turning on the light on his way in as he walks towards his bed. Jungkook gently places him on the bed that was across from his. Jimin mutters something incoherent, as Jungkook fixes him. He takes off his shoes, tucking him in. Jungkook stands over him, staring at him. His features so much softer in his sleep, his heartbeat moving in accordance with slow, shallow breaths. Serenity was plastered across his face as he slept. Anyone who didn’t know the two of them would make the mistake of thinking Jungkook is the older among them rather than Jimin.

He’s gonna have such a hung-over tomorrow!

 

***

As luck had it, their room was on the second floor of Delta Terrace (Sunset Village) at the end with a window that brought in the perfect amount of sunlight. A loud roaring of water gushing out of a pipe jerked Jungkook up from his sleep. He cracks an eyelid open staring at the empty bed across from him. He sighs irritated, he is not a morning person, unlike Jimin who the first person is always up to no matter how late he went to bed. Jungkook sighs, looking at the clock on the drawer beside his bed which read eight am. Wondering why Jimin is up so early on a Sunday?

The bathroom door opens, and Jungkook’s eyes widen with mouth slightly open, watching him as he makes his way to his bed with a towel wrapped around his waist as water slowly running down his body like a caress. Jimin is a dance major, and his body was beyond perfection- clean, long, lean, strong, smooth and sensual that can easily be seen through his clothing too.

 

Despite being roommates since freshman year, this was the first time Jungkook had the luxury of seeing him semi- as Jimin is a very private person and as he was also an early person, he was always ready for class before Jungkook. As he turns around, Jungkook closes his eyes, pretending to be asleep as the bathroom door closes again.

 

Upon hearing the door, he opens his eyes, watching him sitting on his bed. He was dressed in a gray sweat and a loose long sleeve shirt, tying his shoes. He glances up, and his gaze meets Jungkook.

“Good morning,” he greets.

“Morning,” replies Jungkook, yawning as he sits up, “Where are you going?”

“Hmm? Oh, the gym,” replies Jimin, “The Dance Studio is open today as we have no official practice.”

Jungkook snickers, “The point of having no practice means resting.”

“I know but we also have an exam before Spring Break,” he replies, “I don’t want a setback.”

“You push yourself too hard,” says Jungkook, his concerned eyes locking with Jimin’s who quickly averted his eyes standing up.

“Nah, I think you don’t push yourself hard enough,” he teases, “What happened last night anyway? You disappeared?”

“Jessica wanted to talk to me,” replies Jungkook.

“Got dumped again huh?”

“You already know why to ask?”

“Why do you say yes to those people if you never put any effort into the relationship anyway?”

“It’s not my fault, they pester me to go out with them and then disappointed when I’m not what they expect.”

“Yeah, only if you weren’t so handsome,” says Jimin, laughing.

“You’re not any different,” replies Jungkook, “Who was that guy from last night?”

“What guy?”

“The one who wanted to party with you in the kitchen.”

Jimin stares at him silently, thinking. He shrugs his shoulders.

“I don’t know, he just came up to me, so annoying.”

“Maybe you shouldn’t flirt so much.”

Jimin snickers, frowning, “I’m not a flirt, you smile at someone and they think you want to screw them or something.”

“Yeah well you can be pretty flirty yourself,” replies Jungkook, “Wait for me, I want to work out as well.”

“Don’t you have a project to work on?”

“I’m not going to die at the Gym.”  

“Whatever, hurry up,” says Jimin, sitting back on the bed.

 

After getting dressed Jungkook grabs his duffle bag, as they make their way out of the room. Jungkook locks the door as Jimin waits for him.

“How did I get home anyway?”

“You flew,” jokes Jungkook, as they walk towards the dining area to grab a light breakfast before heading to the gym.

“Ha-ha-ha-ha, funny,” says Jimin, annoyed.

“I carried you,” replies Jungkook. Jimin stops suddenly, turning to him, face red. Jungkook scoffs, “You become childish when your drunk, don’t you know?”

“You’re lying, you didn’t carry me home, you know how far that sorority house was?”

Jungkook laughs, “I did carry you, you fell asleep on my back, how else would you forget how you got home when you weren’t so drunk?

Jimin clears his throat, picking up his speed, “Thanks.”

“Huh?” says Jungkook, pretending he didn’t hear him.

“I said thank you.”

“Oh, you would’ve done the same for me,” he replies.

They glance at each other for second before turning around. Jungkook sighs, his heart beating against his chest hard. Not sure why? He is with his childhood best friend, why would his heart be beating so fast? Jimin is attractive but it's not like he was attracted to him.

!