004

the daddy of the baby (shifted to ao3)

this Kyungsoo though.


 

Kyungsoo knew one thing even before stepping foot inside the theatre; even after being ready to fight the situation, he couldn't help the irritated twitch of his eyebrows, and the clench of his jaw. Minho reminded him that he doesn't need to do anything foolish just before leaving for the night, and he'd only grunted in response.

He raises his curious brow at the man beside him, trying his best to show how much he's interested to know the affairs of his own children instead of catching up on the conversations just behind him.

Of course, he fails at it.

“You look off,” Choi points out.

Kyungsoo smiles a tight lipped smile, knowing well the camera is on him at this moment. “Nothing, was just wondering when they would begin the real thing.”

They have been waiting for almost an hour now, things haven't moved for anything remarkably memorable until now. Kyungsoo hates himself for even agreeing to accept the invitation to attend the show in the first place. Although something that Minho would consider 'worth notable’ already happened.

Kyungsoo knew about it already. Jongin was already fated to become cynosure of all eyes present here for the celebrated evening; something that doesn't surprise him much, seeing how Jongin's popularity is soaring high at this point. Although the constant attention on Jongin, the persistent gazes that do nothing but fix themselves on Jongin, irk Kyungsoo to no end…and the whole reaction surprises him in return.

Why isn't he happy that one of his company's star is noticed by everyone present, whether newbies or already established celebrities of their entertainment business?

“Is there something I should inform your assistant about, Kyungsoo?”

“No,” he replies and shakes his head. “Thank you.”

The man nods his head and turns his head to greet someone sitting behind them, Kyungsoo already knows who he's going to talk about. Recently, for almost two years, Jongin has become the focal point of almost every conversation between others and him; Jongin's success as an actor, his flawless beauty, his dancing skills among others.

It's not like he doesn't like talking about Jongin, or gloating himself with the truth that Jongin works under his company, but there's something in the tone of the voices that talk to him, something that he doesn't understand, and isn’t able to pinpoint no matter how hard he tries. While he feels happy noticing the jealousy reeking through their words, the envy, the extreme fondness for someone that they hold no power over, he couldn't deny that the something confuses him more and more, the more time he spends in thinking about it and solving it.

“You're lucky to have Jongin working under you.” The man announces, Kyungsoo nods as if he hasn’t already heard that same sentence over a million times already.

“I know.” He smiles, shifts a little on his chair to straighten his posture, as if he hasn't been sitting straight like a scale ever since he took his seat there. “Thank you.”

“I have a son—the one I was talking about—he likes Jongin.” Kyungsoo clenches his jaw, straight away understanding where the man is leading the conversation to. “He has been working hard for his debut as an idol, I was wondering if you’d like to announce something between them—of course, it isn’t anything about the whole strategy to gain attention thing, Kyungsoo, my son likes your boy. It’s only logical that you give them a chance, let’s start a rumor, and let people wonder about them for some time. In the meantime, Jongin and my son—his name is Youngjae by the way—will get to know each other. Who knows if their relationship would actually bloom into something.”

Kyungsoo pokes his index finger on his crossed thigh, eyes fixed on the two bickering MC’s on the stage who they think they’re looking cute, Kyungsoo thinks otherwise. “As long as I have worked for this industry, Mr. Choi, I have always known that things like this should be as far as possible, from someone who’s about to debut.” Mr. Choi turns silent almost immediately. “Besides,” he stops and turns a little into the older man’s direction. “Do you think your son is worthy enough for Jongin? What is he anyway? Just your son?”

Knowing the man isn’t going to say anything after the insult, he turns back to the stage, focusing now that they’re about to announce another award for some category that he didn’t pay attention to before. It’s good though, he thinks when the man stays silent, the man was boring him further into sleep anyway; if he’d actually dozed off in the middle of an award show... Kyungsoo doesn’t even want to think about the consequences.

“It’s your boy on the stage.” Mr. Choi announces while he’s busy looking down at his lap and shaking his head as if to shake the thoughts of scandals away. “Another award, huh?”

Kyungsoo looks up to find Jongin standing on the stage, smiles when Jongin begins his short speech. Then, all of a sudden, he is reminded of the secret they share and before he knows, he's already supporting a tight-lipped smile. It's not like the announcement bothers him any, his artists are made to grab the attention they deserve, and Jongin (or anyone else from his company) winning an award isn't really a great deal for him. It's more a matter of pride for him, his value increases in the business the more his artists bag awards every year.

Trying (and failing) to not think about Jongin's pregnancy, he tries to focus on the younger man; eyes now fixed on the tall frame and the extremely bright smile that he wears. Being this gorgeous, and on top of social ladder at this moment, Jongin is nothing short of stupid to even think of keeping the baby, something that's nothing but a consequence of their stupidity.

What is about him anyway, he wonders, listening to the screams of the fans and the praises sung for the young man. Does he not think what he would lose once the news about his pregnancy come out in public? People will forget him, he will disappear right in front of their eyes, and no one will even bother knowing about him.

Stupid. He snorts. Jongin gives a final bow to everyone, the crowd claps for him again before he quickly steps out of the stage and towards his seat right behind Kyungsoo. He doesn't even look at Kyungsoo, stares straight ahead as if he knows where he's standing at this moment and, unsurprisingly, stumbles on the carpet just in front of Kyungsoo.

What happened was accident, of course, what happens next is nothing but surprising and shocking, not to everyone else but for Jongin. Kyungsoo as well.

Kyungsoo tightens his hold around Jongin's waist, his eyes harden when Jongin looks up at him in shock and guilt. “Is this how careful you are?” He questions in a small whisper, helps Jongin straighten up, but doesn't bother bringing his arm from the younger’s waist. “Be careful, stupid.” Unconsciously trailing his fingers on Jongin's still flat stomach, he speaks in a tone that Jongin doesn't understand. “You're pregnant; you're looking after someone else as well now.”

Jongin nods his head at him, and walks away from him and to his own seat. If Kyungsoo notices the flush on the actor's face, he doesn't point that out.

“Kids are very careless these days,” he whispers to Mr. Choi. However, doesn't bother checking if the man actually heard him, mind set on something else this moment. He feels strangely accomplished, for whatever reason he doesn't waste his time pondering about.

The award show ends somewhere after twelve in the night; Kyungsoo returns back from the show as nothing but a proud man who knows how to look out for talents. Jongin, as always, outshines everyone from his company (some from other companies as well, if possible that is), the only actor who owns the night. They don't meet after the small accident in the theatre, until the late hours of the night when they're coming out of the same building to leave for the night. In an elevator.

“Make sure you call everyone who…” Kyungsoo stops, eyes catching the lone figure that walks inside the elevator before quickly turning to his manager to whisper some soft command to him. Minho looks confused at the request, but with a small nod of his head promises his boss to follow whatever he’s being told. “Jongin!” He calls, just before stopping a few feet away from the elevator. “Can you please—oh, thank you for holding it for me.”

Jongin rolls his eyes at him and looks away, patiently waiting for him to get in as well, he keeps tapping his foot on the floor of the elevator as if showing nonchalance at the presence of the same man who refused to accept his responsibilities of their unborn. Though it’s clear as any clear day how the mere presence of the CEO is affecting him, in more ways than he could ever explain. He snorts when Kyungsoo keeps grooming himself as if ready to impress whoever catches sight of him. This man is impossible.

When he notices Kyungsoo turning to look at him in his peripheral view, he crosses his arms over his chest and pretends he doesn’t notice how hot his face is feeling all of a sudden. Seriously, can one’s body behave like what their mind wants them to behave like, even for once?

“Congratulations,” Kyungsoo says, tone genuine and smile as wide as anything else; he pretends as if the situation between them isn’t already tense enough after the releavation of Jongin’s pregnancy, and him being the other father of the child currently in Jongin’s stomach. Though the man’s posture is stiff, guarded, as if he doesn’t want to cross the line, and not talk about his pregnancy as well.

“Thanks,” he mutters, still petulantly staring ahead. Then, as if remembering something else, “thanks.’

“I heard,” Kyungsoo replies, tone polite this time. “The first time; I did.”

“I am thanking you for something else,” Jongin explains, “for the moment when you helped me in the theatre.” Kyungsoo nods his head in reply and looks ahead as well. Awkward silence overtakes them.

Jongin shifts a little on his feet, dropping his hands by his sides, he pretends to not take in sight of Kyungsoo heavily leaning against one side of the elevator. The CEO manages to look handsome even in some pose as that, and Jongin tries not to think how he could’ve made a fine model. The man is handsome, of course, and Jongin isn’t going to say that that wasn’t one of the reasons why he felt attracted to the CEO in the first place, at the first sight of him. Not to mention the stuttering breaths, and rosy cheeks he used to have for the first few months in the presence of Kyungsoo.

Just when he’s about to wonder aloud why its taking them so long to reach the ground floor, the elevator comes to a sudden stop, jerking them from their spots within seconds, for a few seconds.

“What the…” he mutters after realizing exactly what happened, eyes fixed on the closed elevators doors before ping ponging everywhere inside the small space. “Oh no.”

“Oh,” Kyungsoo begins; “it seems we’re stuck.” He sounds almost cool about the whole situation, as if being stuck in an elevator isn’t a big, scary deal.

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin says, shifting close to the man, some minutes later when the situation doesn’t turn anything remotely calmer or better. “What are we going to do now?” Kyungsoo gives an aloof shrug, as if he still isn’t bothered by the whole situation at all.

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin whimpers, almost begs, “I am scared—what are we going to do now?” It’s only when Jongin grabs his arm with his shaking hands that Kyungsoo realizes the younger is actually scared by the whole ordeal.

“Jongin,” he finally begins, noticing the flush of fear on the younger's cheeks and neck. “Don’t tell me you’re claustrophobic.” He expects the younger to shake his head because it makes sense that he isn’t, because if he isn’t, only then would he even think of entering an elevator at all. Or at least, would think twice or thrice before entering an elevator. Jongin, however, nods his head at him, shuffling closer and closer by each passing second.

“Okay,” he begins, not really understanding what he should or should not do in a situation like this; he had never been involved in such situation, until now. Of course, it has to be Jongin.

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo begins, gently, some seconds later when the younger refuses to let go of his hand. “Let me go and press the emergency button or call someone—Jongin, you have to let go of my hand.” Jongin shakes his head and whimpers, suddenly appearing smaller than he actually is. For someone who was standing tall and proud just some hours ago, he's sure sweating as a young child who fears they've some monster under their bed.

Not knowing how to handle a claustrophobic person, he frowns and stretches his arm to reach for the buttons on the other end, thanking high heavens for the lift to be as small as it is. “Okay,” he announces, allows Jongin to clutch on his hand before he turns to look at the younger. “I did, the help will come soon.”

“I am scared,” Jongin says instead, following Kyungsoo's words when he advises him to sit down on the floor. “What if they didn't reach on time! I-I could, I could die!” He mutters something else as well; something about how he doesn't want someone to touch him that Kyungsoo doesn't understand.

“No, you will not.” He presses; for the first time in life, he kneels on the floor for someone who he doesn't know much. Jongin seems gone, scared enough to forget about everything, and Kyungsoo thinks pushing his pride aside to behave gently wouldn't hurt anyone. Besides, he is a gentleman, and gentlemen help everyone in need. “You should avoid using elevators when—”

“No, no.” Jongin shakes his head, closing his eyes and resting his cheek on Kyungsoo's shoulder without a second thought. “I-it's something else—something happened…in the past. I don't like this, I don't.”

Kyungsoo doesn't understand the whole situation, but Jongin is shaking, shivering, and is maybe crying as well, in his arms; afraid as if someone would come and hurt him anytime now. Frowning, he sits on the floor, against one side of the elevator, and lets Jongin to cling onto him. The younger's hold around his bicep is bruising enough, despite him being clad in his expensive suit of fine material.

When Jongin refuses to calm down, he grabs his phone from his pants pocket with a little difficulty and dials Minho's number, hoping to be connected right away. It doesn't, for whatever reason.

“Are you okay?” It's just primal urge, he explains himself when he witnesses the state of the younger; nothing too searing (or maybe he's just too proud to accept that he's worrying this moment), but the sudden urge to help the lad is stronger than ever. Jongin looks like he could faint anytime soon, either because he's claustrophobic (which he has already, partially, denied) or because it's something about the past he couldn't tell Kyungsoo, he doesn't know.

Noticing all the sweat, he helps Jongin shuffle out of his suit coat, mindlessly and unconsciously s top two-three buttons as well; Jongin thanks him for his consideration, seemingly not realizing who he’s with at this moment. The thought only worries Kyungsoo furthermore, an indescribable ache settles in the pit of his stomach, the sudden realization that how much the whole situation is bothering him unsettles him. It shouldn't bother him, not as much.

...but Jongin, Jongin is looking every sort of vulnerable at this moment, timid in a way Kyungsoo couldn't put his finger on. He knows every fiber of his body is glad that Jongin stuck inside the lift with him instead of someone untrustable.

Not trusting his own mouth for kind words, he pulls Jongin between his own arms; runs his fingers through his hair to calm him down, rubs the other hand on Jongin's back, memorizing and feeling the skin the shirt is separating him from. “It's okay, it's okay. You're alright, I am here,” he whispers, listening to the rapidly calming breathing of the younger. Jongin has either fallen asleep in his arms within a few minutes or fainted, Kyungsoo isn't really sure.

When Jungkook, Minho, technicians, and some others manage to open the door without much trouble some half an hour later, they find Kyungsoo already standing up from the floor, an unconscious Jongin in his arms, and the seemingly angry and frustrated expression that the CEO is wearing.

They avoid looking into Kyungsoo's eyes, simply trail after the CEO in silence. It's Jungkook who breaks the silence between them first, falling step by step beside Kyungsoo and looking down at the boy in Kyungsoo's arms in what one would assume is in worry.

“Thanks for looking after him for me,” Jungkook says, not noticing the clench in Kyungsoo's jaw the moment he turns into the hallway that leads to the main door of the building. Kyungsoo's steps doesn't falter for even a second, as if possessed with some kind of spirit, he keeps on looking straight ahead.

“You can give Jongin hyung to me now. We don't need your favour.”

Kyungsoo comes to a complete stop, Jongin's body jerks a little in his arms when he turns to pass Jungkook a strict raise of eyebrows. “I will appreciate silence much more, Jungkook.” Cold. Firm. Straight to the point.

“Look, hyung,” Jungkook begins once again, following after Kyungsoo when the CEO starts walking one again. “I am honestly thankful to you for looking after hyung; I know he must've given you a little trouble in that situation… but,” he stops for a second, gauging Kyungsoo's reaction. “After what you said and did that day, I don't think if you deserve coming any close to him.”

Minho coughs a little behind them and asks the other to leave them be now. Although it's clear that the words have impacted Kyungsoo in some way or other, the man doesn't answer or refute anything. He stays silent and lets Minho open the door of him.

“Get inside,” he asks Jungkook, Jungkook refuses straight away. “Look,” he sighs, shifting Jongin a little in his arms and trying hard to not look at the boy in his arms. “I don't have much time. We will drop you two at his place; in the meantime, if necessary, Minho will call my personal doctor as well. Make it easy for me, eh?”

“...but,” Jungkook begins, unsure about the whole prospect. “Jongin hyung said he hates you, you should stay away.”

Kyungsoo, however, doesn't wait for him anymore after that. With a little help from Minho, he settles on the back seat, Jongin still tucked gingerly in his arms. It's not like it's bothering him much, Jongin is as light as a feather, he isn't even feeling like he's carrying someone at all.

Jungkook squawks. “Give me my hyung back!”

“Don't be a little kid and get in the car. Now.”

“He will kill you once he wakes up. Don't complain latter I didn't warn you.” Jungkook warns, dejectedly taking the passenger seat beside Minho.

Kyungsoo looks down at the boy in his arms, unconsciously weaving his fingers through the younger's hair, he mentally keeps on repeating how stupidly, regrettably adorable the unconscious male is looking. “He will kill me, eh?”

-

-

“Why don't you do some other job instead of flocking around Jongin?” Kyungsoo questions, not looking up from his phone despite knowing the younger is looking at him now. “Life is more than just running after a guy who wouldn't even look at you. Romantically.”

“Jongin hyung needs me, believe it or not.” Jungkook is still sitting beside Jongin's sleeping frame, weaving his fingers through the elder's hair as if providing him some kind of reassurance that Jongin needs even in his sleep.

Kyungsoo tries hard to not think how much the conversation between Jungkook and him about Jongin's past has impacted him. Or to be more exact, the incident that happened with the actor that probably has given him scar for life, in the presence of nothing but darkness. He thinks he could understand Jongin's fear of dim lighting and darkness more now, of closed spaces with less chances of leaving safe and sound; of course, he would be scared to hell and back stuck in an elevator.

“Romantically,” Jungkook murmurs, “what do you mean by romantically? Jongin hyung and I love each other platonically. I could literally kiss him—hold on, don't show me that face—on his cheeks, and we could scream love confessions to each other. Platonically. Life does not always revolve around romance, hyung.”

Kyungsoo coughs a little into his fist, acting as if the words don’t mean much to him. “You don’t need to get defensive when there’s nothing between you two.”

Before Jungkook could open his mouth to retort, Minho piques up from he has been sitting on the couch just beside the window. “It’s late, sir, don’t you think we should leave for the night?” He stops for a second when Kyungsoo looks up at him. “It’s past three in the morning, you have a meeting to attend and besides, Jungkook is here to look after Jongin. I don’t think if you should worry about him anymore; Jungkook knows him better than you and me.”

Kyungsoo looks reluctant when he stands up some minutes later from the bed, almost reluctant to leave the room for some reason that no one understands. He rubs a finger over his eyebrow, seemingly embarrassed about something. “Did you,” he stops and coughs a little. “Did Jongin see a doctor?”

Jungkook furrows his brows at first but then as if understanding what the question means, shakes his head at the elder. “No, we will go to meet someone tomorrow.” Kyungsoo nods his head in hesitation. “Why,” Jungkook questions when Kyungsoo only shifts a little on his feet. “Why does that concern you?”

“I am the father!” He exclaims, but the sudden red on his cheeks is a telltale sign how he hadn’t meant to say that. “I-I mean…”

“Yes, a father who refused to accept his responsibilities.” He reminds the elder. “I remember you refusing to accept your responsibilities, so I don’t think if anything about hyung or... his baby should concern you.” Kyungsoo looks like he wants to correct the youngest’s slip up—the baby isn’t only Jongin’s but his as well, but seeing how Jungkook didn’t say anything wrong, he keeps his mouth sealed.

“Jongin hyung is strong; I know he can take care of the baby even without you. Besides, I am there for him, hyung’s family, my family, and our friends. There are so many people; you don’t need to worry at all.” He stands up and stretches a hand toward the door of the bedroom. “Thank you for looking after hyung, let me drop you off at the door.”

Kyungsoo presses his lips in a thin line and nods, passes a last glance to Jongin still sleeping on the bed before walking out of the bedroom. There's some sort of cloud looming over his head, worry for something that he couldn't quite explain, and the weird sensation that is slowly spreading through every vein of his body demanding him go and make sure Jongin is alright. Although Jongin is alright, now, Kyungsoo couldn't explain why he feels the unexplainable urge to go and see the younger, perhaps stay with him until he wakes up.

Confronting his own feelings has never been Kyungsoo's forte; he has always been bad at understanding his own emotions and feelings, has been doing nothing but avoiding them ever since his childhood thinking that he won over them. Of course, he never did.

He has always only managed to tangle himself into different threads of life, choke within them and finally, forget them thinking he has won over them. There's no other way to deal with such weak, soft emotions and feelings anyway. Forget them and don't pay attention to them, life will be easier.

...but now that he's struggling with newfound emotions that he isn't even able to explain to himself, he couldn't help but wonder leaving everything behind would be the best for him. For some time only, a few hours would do as well. He doesn't think if he could work with the impending headache he knows is coming his way.

“Are you okay, sir?” Minho enquiries, driving smoothly along the roads of Gangnam District. The man understands him well, sometimes even more than Kyungsoo himself.

Kyungsoo hums something in reply, eyes fixed on the sparkling stars in the sky or maybe not, there are no stars that he could locate from here. “I am fine.”

Minho stays silent for some moments before he nods a little to himself. “Don't forget to take your medicine, sir.”

Here Minho is, reminding him of what he's dealing with.

-

-

“I can't believe I actually fainted.”

“You can’t believe you fainted or you can’t believe you fainted in his arms?” Jungkook questions, and rolls his eyes because he knows what the elder is actually thinking. “Look, hyung, it wasn’t a big deal anyway. You just fainted and he happened to be there—see there’s nothing. He probably helped you because he had no other option. Come on, don’t hope so much! Who knows he just wants to be in your good graces so that you never, ever tell anyone that he’s the father of the baby?”

Jongin hums, agreeing with the other man right away. “You’re right,” he confirms in words, “if he actually cared, he would have asked anything about my pregnancy, if not taken the responsibility of it.”

They’ve just come out of the hospital, after a long session between the doctor and them. Although the doctor had once again promised Jongin that she wouldn’t tell anyone about his pregnancy, Jongin had been sceptical to leave her side, and she ended up writing it down in her phone, a reminder of everyday to not tell anyone about it. She had been amused, but nothing that she couldn’t understand about the situation of the budding talent. Of course, like any other doctor she’d asked Jongin about the other father of the baby, Jongin had been reluctant in answering, and she’d ended up writing ‘unknown’ (or if she had written something else, Jongin wasn’t really sure) under the ‘father’ section; Jungkook had been chosen as the guardian right away, after all, they needed someone to take responsibility of Jongin during his pregnancy months.

“Actually,” Jungkook begins, shifting a little on his seat as he tries hard to focus on the road ahead and not Jongin’s eyes solely fixed on him. They’d promised each other long years ago that they wouldn’t hide anything from each other, and despite wanting to not tell his hyung about what Kyungsoo inquired just last night, he couldn’t help but tell the elder. Jongin deserves to know if the man even cares about him at all or not; the truth about Jongin carrying Kyungsoo’s baby should bother Kyungsoo at least. In some way, some way at least.

Any man would be moved or affected by such news or so Jungkook believes. He just hopes Kyungsoo rejecting to take the responsibility of the baby was just an ‘immediate reaction’ to something that has the potential to ruin years of hard work. It’s no secret that the man’s life would change after the news would come out in public. Whether it would be good or not, no one knows.

“Actually…” Jongin prompts, eyeing him in some moments of pensive silence before throwing his hands in the air when the younger remains completely silent. “What actually, Kookie?”

“He’d asked about you last night, I mean about the pregnancy.” He stops a little, for a few seconds. “He’d asked if you met the doctor yet or not.”

Jongin is speechless; it’s clear with the expression that he’s wearing. “Why did he ask that?” He asks, sounding greatly puzzled.

“I don’t know,” Jungkook sighs. “He just asked if you met or not, and I just replied that you didn’t.”

“You’re hiding something from me,” Jongin points out, narrowing his eyes at the younger because he knows the red flush on Jungkook’s face indicates the guilt of hiding something from him. “Come on, tell me what else did you say to him.”

“I might’ve reminded him about what he did the day you told him about his pregnancy, and…” he coughs a little before continuing in a timid voice, “and that it’s none of his business anymore, since he has already made clear he doesn’t want to do anything with the baby.”

“Wow,” Jongin exclaims, “wow, great, great.” Jungkook doesn’t understand if the elder is glad about it or pissed off at him. “Now that it’s clear that I am going to carry this baby, do you think I should inform my parents about it? My family? My close friends? Everyone who cares about me?”

“Keep it to your family now—and my family as well, because they are going to be the happiest!” He stops and nods. “I guess, yes, you should. After all, we, you, need your mother’s guidance during the months.”

Although the whole prospect of informing his family about his pregnancy had freaked him out, he couldn’t deny that him hiding something as big as that wasn’t drowning him in the sea of guilt. So as soon as he got the chance to inform his parents about his pregnancy, he’d taken it right away.

Right now, bundled up in his duvet at three in the morning, he’s waiting for his mother to speak something from the other end. He has already announced his pregnancy to his mother; his mother has already informed him that she has the call on speaker, and that his father is sitting right beside her. For a moment he feels stupid and guilty of calling his parents at such late hour of the night, but then his father whispers that it’s never late to call and ask help from your parents. Jongin is blessed to have such loving parents.

“Who’s he?”

He clutches the phone tighter by his ear. “Are you angry?”

“Jongin,” his father sighs this time, Jongin shivers a little to his bones. Parents, especially fathers, are scary when they are pissed off or worried and act calm. “Who’s the father, dear?”

“Do Kyungsoo, the CEO of the company I work under.” There are some hushed whispers from the other end; Jongin doesn’t understand if they are fighting with each other about the whole situation. God, he should’ve waited a little and called them tomorrow instead. “I am sorry,” he says, his parents turn silent almost immediately. “I-I know, I know it’s my—”

“Jongin, what are you apologizing for?” His mother asks, tone calm and gentle. “I am not going to say that this hasn’t made me a little angry, perhaps upset as well—for I wondered for a moment if we didn’t raise you with good values and discipline to know how... isn’t just about bringing pleasure to oneself, but more than that. The day you two slept together, Jongin, if I were in your place, I wouldn’t have even done anything remotely close to that.” She sounds upset and calm about the whole matter, at this moment. “What can I say though, the time has changed and so the mentality and values. I am not going to blame you for anything, my heart, for you’re at such stage of life where you need nothing but love and care.”

“Tell me, Jongin, are you happy with your pregnancy? Do you consider yourself responsible for this?” Jongin hesitantly answers that he does. “Baby, then you don’t need to worry about us being beside you or not; I remind you again, we are going to be with you no matter what happens. You were bound to get pregnant someday; it doesn’t really matter if you got pregnant now, at such young age.” She stops and whispers something to his father, Jongin thinks they’re discussing about something. “We will talk about the whole parenting thing sometime else, dear, talk to your father first. He wants to ask you something.”

Oh no, he thinks, not Papa! Just before he could pretend that he slept, or died, his father clears his throat and demands his complete attention.

“Jongin, does Kyungsoo know about this?” Jongin timidly answers that the man does, he knows where this is going. “Did you two talk about what you’re going to do now?” He gulps and pretends that he didn’t hear anything, he asks his father to repeat the question. His father does without any delay. “So you two haven’t,” his father concludes when he stays silent. “I know what it is about—does he not want the child, Jongin?”

“He doesn’t,” he answers, still timid.

“Kyungsoo hasn’t taken the responsibility of the child, honey,” his father directs the sentence to his wife. “Jongin, clearly this means that Kyungsoo’s parents don’t know about this as well.” Jongin confirms. “Okay,” he sighs. “Don’t worry dear, sleep well. We are here for you, don’t you ever think that you’re alone in this.”

He nods his head before whimpering a small but sincere “thank you”.

“Jongin,” his mother says, “don’t cry, we are here, right? We are not angry—in fact, we’re excited and honestly can’t wait now that we know we’re going to be grandparents, again.” She stays silent for some moments before humming a little into his ears, through the call, to reassure her son. “Jongin, you have grown so much, you’re going to be a parent! I can’t believe this. My heart, don’t cry anymore, you have us.”

“You know,” he whispers, words partially pressed against the screen of his phone and on his pillow. He didn’t realize he has been crying all along until a sob escapes his throat. “If I became even half of what you two are, I will be a great parent.”

He couldn’t see the smile that his mother is probably supporting, but listening to what she has to say, he knows she’s probably smiling the brightest. “...and people keep asking me why I love Nini the most.”

-

-

“You didn’t tell me you were coming here, Papa,” Jongin repeats, passing Jungkook’s pleading looks to stay silent until his father loosens up a bit.

The man had been angry when Jongin had accepted, again, that Kyungsoo had refused to accept his responsibilities. Jongin was already shocked to his bones when he came back from the shooting at his penthouse to see his father waiting for him in the living room; what was more shocking was how determined the man was to meet and talk to Kyungsoo’s parents about his pregnancy.

“Parents always want the best for their children, Jongin, he decided all of a sudden, and now he is there,” his mother had explained when he’d demanded for one.

“We don’t need to do this,” he quietly added.

Mr. Kim stops fiddling with his phone for a while, though his posture is as stiff as it was when he arrived at Mr. Do’s, Kyungsoo’s father, office. The man is busy on some call on the other side of the room, had asked for some moments from Jongin’s father to finish the task at hand.

“Why?” His father asks, “is this not his child as well?”

Jongin feels like he could break into a fit of tears, especially when Mr. Do walks back to them before settling on his own chair on the other side of the table. Jungkook shifts a little on his own chair and rubs a soothing hand over his back, a futile attempt to calm him down.

“Mr. Kim, is there something that I can do you for?”

“I think we need Kyungsoo’s presence here as well, Mr. Do.”

The man furrows his eyebrows before he looks at Jongin for some long seconds. “Why, did he do something?”

“Something like that,” his father answers, before patting a hand over Jongin’s head to calm him down and reassure him that he does not need to worry. The touch somehow works, and Jongin relaxes a little knowing he has his father with him. “Your son did something really great, Mr. Do.”

The man laughs, tone clipped. He calls for his own manager and asks him to call Kyungsoo, needless of what he’s doing at this moment; he demands his presence in his office. His manager leaves shortly after. “I hope he did not create trouble, Mr. Kim. We, his mother and I, have raised him well.”

Jongin’s father smiles. “It depends how you’re going to take it, Mr. Do—trouble or blessing.”

Kyungsoo arrives shortly after, some five minutes later, and looks like he’s in hurry; he opens his mouth to ask his father why he called for him but stumbles upon his words when he catches sight of Jongin sitting hunched over the chair between Mr. Kim and Jungkook. His father asks him to stand beside him, he does very hesitantly, worry lines evident on his handsome face.

“Yes, Mr. Kim, now that he’s here, may I ask what troubled you?”

“I will keep it short, Mr. Do,” he stops and grabs his son’s hand to give it a gentle squeeze. “Your son and my son spent a night together, at your son’s place.” It remains quiet until he continues, “Jongin is pregnant with your son’s child.”

At first, Mr. Do remains silent as if he couldn’t believe what he heard before he looks at Jongin and then finally at his own son. “Kyungsoo, is Jongin really pregnant with your child?”

One thing that Jongin likes about older Do is how calm and collected he remains in all situations, calm, collected and controlled. Despite hearing about his pregnancy, unlike his own son, he talks with such gentle tone that if Jongin didn’t know any better would have thought that the man has no problem with it, and would accept Jongin (and their child) without a single fight of word.

Kyungsoo nods his head when his father repeats the question. “Did you know about Jongin’s pregnancy before this—or is this the first time that you heard about it?”

“I know about it, for some days now.”

“You didn’t think it was necessary to tell me what you have done?” Now, the man looks angry and pissed off, though he’s still controlled. He rubs a hand over his eyes and leans back against the seat, eyes fixed on the timid posture of Jongin. “Jongin, I am sorry if he said or did something hurtful to you.”

Jongin looks up to Kyungsoo, the CEO’s eyes and expression are as hard as they were when he’d first heard about his pregnancy. “No, no, he didn’t do anything hurtful to me, sir.”

The man takes a few deep breaths before nodding a little to himself. “Kyungsoo, is there something between you two?”

Kyungsoo visibly gulps. Everyone is scared of their father, even Kyungsoo. “No, there’s nothing between us.”

“So you two aren’t even dating?” Kyungsoo shakes his head. “Then how could you be so foolish to sleep together, without protection at that?” The man positively roars in anger.

“It’s not only Kyungsoo’s fault, Mr. Do,” Mr. Kim begins, tone soft as if he could understand the situation. Of course, he could, both are fathers of young boys. They do, better than anyone else. “Jongin is as responsible for this as Kyungsoo is. Whatever happened between them was mutual, the result of such bond, however, wasn’t expected.”

“Since there’s no other way,” Mr. Do begins some moments later, after a small conversation with the other father. “Since there’s no other way, Kyungsoo, you’re going to look after Jongin throughout the months of pregnancy. You’re the other father; you have to take the responsibility.”

Kyungsoo reddens. “What are you saying, dad?”

“Did you not hear the first time?” Mr. Do asks, tone stringent. “You’re the other father, and you have to take the responsibility. It doesn’t matter to me if there’s anything special between you two or not, just like the thought about what could possibly happen didn’t cross your minds, the thought that there’s nothing between you two will be forgotten by me as well. Behave and be responsible, you know your mother is not going to take liking to otherwise.”