Chapter 1: The First Shift

And If My Heart Should Somehow Stop
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The human body works in the most beautifully chaotic way imaginable. There are always millions of different body functions happening all at once within our body that helps us stay alive. Biologically speaking our body loves the chaos and maybe that’s why we end up tracing that same chaos into the way we live our lives but like stated before our body is built to thrive off of the chaos and there’s nothing we can do about it.

 

            Dahyun never imagined that she’d make it this far in her medical career, from the moment she declared herself a Biology Pre-med major while applying to university she knew and heard all of the horror stories that had come from studying medicine from the “countless sleepless nights” to “the non-existent social life.”  If she was being completely honest she had already grown accustom to both those things. Her best friend Chaeyoung and her were constantly academically competing with each other to be top of their classes which Chaeyoung ended up beating her for valedictorian when Dahyun pulling an all-nighter the night before reading a Stephen King book for English class and the next day wrote down that Stephen Hawking wrote the book instead, needless to say she did not pass that quiz and Chaeyoung made it her duty to remind her any opportunity she gets. Anyway, she made it through college with only a minimal number of mental breakdowns over her course load and lots of useless knowledge that she would never need in her career at a doctor. After graduating college, she attended medical school and to her surprise her childhood best friend was also enrolled at the same medical school. There they met Tzuyu, a genius international student from Taiwan who seemed to be the missing piece that they never knew they needed. In their final year of medical school as they were applying to residency programs they all found out they were accepted into the prestigious program at Park Hospital and it their decisions all seemed to have made themselves.

 

6:52 A.M.

 

            “You can do this, you got this Kim, you did not go through eight years of school to back down now” Dahyun quietly whispered to herself as she prepared at her assigned locker for her first day as an intern at Park Hospital unknowing that both Chaeyoung and Tzuyu were watching her.

 

            “Dahyun, who the hell are you talking to?” Chaeyoung asked causing Dahyun to flinch in response.

 

            “U-um what, I wasn’t talking to anyone” Dahyun tried to play it off.

 

            “Sure, you weren’t, anyway hurry up we have a couple minutes before the Chief of Surgery comes to start the tour” Tzuyu replied while drinking her coffee causing Dahyun to turn even more pale than she already was.

 

            “Dude, come on don’t be that intern” Chaeyoung told Dahyun after noticing the already minimal amount of pigment leave the older one’s face.

 

            “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter