Discovering complexes: It was my first kiss.

Discovering complexes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


“Where- where are you?” Minjoo talked to herself as she brisk-walked, breathing heavily. 


The thunder roared and it was pouring hard.  She was walking down the streets without an umbrella and her thick jacket was neither a help to lessen the cold. She tried to use her arms to cover up her face from the heavy raindrops and continued walking. 


“Where are you?” She asked herself again.  Weirdly, she knew she has been walking around for a time now, however, there’s no one on the streets, and not even lights that to know her current location. It was very quiet and the only sound for her to hear were the raindrops hitting the concrete.


The only thing that helped her was the dim light that the moon was emitting, with that, Minjoo was able to recognize her way. She was in the middle of the road with numerous alleyways. For a moment, she wondered how it was possible for the moon to shine in spite of the heavy rain.  But there was no time to wonder. 

Minjoo doesn’t know where to go and started to run. She had no idea why her feet started to move on its own, running quickly like there was someone chasing her. She took a few turns from left to right, still no idea where she was heading. 

She stopped and put her left hand against a brick wall to support herself, Minjoo was catching her breath. After a few moments, she heard someone coming. The sound of the person’s footsteps became bigger and bigger after every second. 

Minjoo felt her fright growing and with a reflex, she ran as fast as she can, not looking back, Minjoo heard the footsteps following her, still, getting louder. 
She saw a nearby house with some lights on, she quickly headed to its direction hoping that this place can keep her safe. She was able to get past the gate and continued running.  The footsteps stopped and she felt relieved for a very short moment. 


Her eyes went big when she realized that, as she was running towards the house, it seems like the distance wasn’t getting any nearer. 
She was not moving from her place regardless of her endless effort to move. Minjoo felt that there was a force pulling her back and she’s too weak to even control herself.  
The force on her back seems to not stop at any moment.


Scared and tired, Minjoo started to tear up because she was so exhausted and escaping from the strong pull won’t work anyway. She gave up after a few more tries. Minjoo closed her eyes and let herself fall on the floor. 
After a few seconds, the force had vanished and Minjoo was lying down, drenched. 
She slowly opened her eyes and saw someone standing in front of her. Not being able to recognize what she was seeing, Minjoo slowly lifted her eyes.
In her vision, everything was blurry. Seeing there was a figure in front of her, she gulped and continued to scan the person’s appearance. 
But even before she can see the person’s face, she felt a powerful weight on her left shoulder.

 

“No!” 


“Hey, Kim Minjoo!” 

Minjoo instantly opened her eyes, looking straight on the ceiling.  She tried to calm herself slowly by inhaling deeply. Obviously, she was still very shocked from what happened. She adjusted her body to sit on her bed. A drop of cold sweat rolled on Minjoo’s face. 


She looked around and sighed in relief. She was on her bed, in their dorm. 
Looking on her left side, she saw a worried Kim Chaewon standing on the ladder, with her hair tied up, still on her pj's. 


“Were you dreaming?” Chaewon asked worriedly. She caressed Minjoo’s arms slowly, trying to calm her down. 


Minjoo just released another sigh and smiled after.  “Thanks. You were my savior.” Minjoo looked down at Chaewon, giving her a small smile of reassurance. 
This wasn’t the first time Minjoo had a bad dream. 

“You should start dressing up, we don’t want to be late for Idol Room’s shooting.” Chaewon reminded her and Minjoo just nodded. 

“I’ll just get you a glass of water, okay?” Chaewon went out of the bedroom. 

Minjoo quickly got up from her bed; she carefully stepped down from their double-deck.

Nightmares were something normal to Minjoo ever since she joined the survival show, Produce 48. This survival show gave Minjoo hope to make her dreams come true. Fortunately, with enough skill and a pretty face, she was able to get in the finals and was able to win a position in the group called IZ*ONE. 


At first, many people doubted her but because she showed her hard work and kind heart to the fans, she was able to gain their attention, eventually making them vote for her up until the end.
Finally, it’s only a few days left before their debut. Everyone was having sleepless nights due to their hectic schedule. Anticipations are increasing gradually and practices seem to be endless. 
Minjoo stretched her body, getting ready for another busy day. She noticed that the lower bed was empty but still messy. She wondered. 

“If you’re looking for Yujinie, well, she already finished showering and is now eating her breakfast with Wonyoung in the other dorm.” Chaewon got back in the bedroom and gave Minjoo a glass of water. 
Minjoo’s eyebrow rose as she gulped from her glass. She felt quite disappointed that Yujin didn’t wait for her. 


“Is today a special day? She didn’t even complain about taking a bath.”  Chaewon laughed softly. 


“Don’t be so hard on her, Chaewon-ah, she’s still a kid.” Minjoo smiled at her. 


Chaewon just shook her head as she smiles at the idea. She continued to dress up while Minjoo started to do Yujin’s bed. 
For a short period of time, Minjoo couldn’t remember the time she and Yujin got really close. 


During the survival show, she was only looking at Yujin from afar. Minjoo wasn’t really a confident person. She at her audition on the first episode and even got scolded by the trainers throughout the show. Of course, she received compliments and the overwhelming support of the fans as well. Up until this day, Minjoo was still practicing herself to be more confident in everything.


As for Ahn Yujin, you’ll probably think that she’s one of the luckiest people in the show. Even from the start, Yujin was able to show off her skills in singing, dancing, being a commercial model and even her humor was perfect. She also has the face and height which made her get more fans regardless of her young age. In addition, being a trainee of a popular entertainment helped her to survive together with Jang Wonyoung, her best friend, who won the center position. They were very much trained and hardworking kids too. So, it’s definitely unquestionable. Minjoo has seen their differences and that made her admire Yujin the most. 

-


It was during their group evaluation, for the first time, Minjoo got really nervous to perform a song with a y concept, the song chosen was ‘Touch’  by Little Mix. She and Eunyoung, who was the group leader that time, didn’t stop practicing even though they won’t have enough sleep anymore.

 
It was a very exhausting situation for their group since the trainers looked very disappointed with their choreography.  While the two of them practiced, Eunyoung couldn’t handle the pressure anymore and walked out from the room. Minjoo knew that she needed her time, and with that, she was left alone in the studio.


She tried to distract herself by practicing the choreography again, but it seems like being alone didn’t even help her at all. She made more mistakes and began feeling hopeless. 
When she took another step, she lost her balance and fell on the wooden floor. She held her right foot and massaged it for a few seconds.  She whined and cried because of the pain and the pressure.

 

“Are you okay?” Minjoo heard a deep female voice and looked up at the door, she saw a tall short-haired girl. It was Yujin standing there with a questioning look. 

 

When Yujin realized what happened, she quickly went to Minjoo.

“What happened?” Yujin sat in front of Minjoo with a worried expression. Meanwhile, Minjoo doesn’t know what to say. The first thing she thought when she saw Yujin is why was the younger still up at this hour.

 

Yujin sat on the floor and crossed her legs; she reached for Minjoo’s foot and checked it. 

“Does it hurt? Can you walk?” Yujin looked at Minjoo. The long-haired girl couldn’t respond immediately as she was wiping her tears. Yujin carefully placed Minjoo’s foot back on the floor and started to walk quickly. 

 

“I’ll be right back,” Yujin said without looking back. 

 

A few minutes passed by and Yujin came back with an Ice pack and a bottle of water. Also, Minjoo has calmed down. 

“Here.” Yujin extended her arms giving the water bottle.

 

“Thank you,” Minjoo said embarrassedly. She was so shy that she couldn’t even look at Yujin in the eyes. 

Yujin smiled and went back to her old position, carefully lifting Minjoo’s foot and placing it on her lap. 
She applied the Ice pack carefully and Minjoo flinched a little. Yujin looked at her and smiled lightly. 

“Fortunately, I think you were not injured that badly. It’s a good thing we applied an ice pack. It won’t get swollen anymore. ” Yujin told Minjoo reassuringly. 

 

“Were you practicing?” She asked.

 

Minjoo just nodded. When Yujin asked the question, she felt the pressure back and remembered why she was there in the studio. Minjoo felt her tears rolling down on her face.

 

“O- hey, I’m sorry did I say something wrong?” Yujin was surprised.
Minjoo shook her head while wiping her tears. 

 

“I just really think I am failing.” Minjoo tried her best to speak. She doesn’t usually get comfortable a lot with other people. 

 

“Hey, hey. Don’t think that way.” Yujin said, pouting. Minjoo was trying to digest what’s happening. She can’t help but feel soft with Yujin acting cute.

 

“Your efforts will never betray you.” Yujin smiled at Minjoo and sat beside her.

 

“That’s my motto.” She added. 

 

“I think people can do their best as long as they can view things positively.” The short haired girl looked at their reflection on the dance mirror. “..and as long as they won’t let other people affect them.”

 

“Don’t let your negative thoughts affect you, Unnie. You can be your best version and no one can criticize you for being yourself.” Minjoo being the older one, couldn’t help but think of Yujin as a very innocent kid. She knew that the world isn’t that easy. However, she appreciated how Yujin perceives hardship. Yujin has a point, to begin with, she was not just talented but also intelligent, she thought. 


“Were you also practicing?” Minjoo asked back, looking at her.

 Yujin dorkily nodded and gave out a flat smile with her dimples showing naturally. 

“Well, yup. I don’t want to be a bummer in the showcase.” Yujin looked at Minjoo, meeting her eyes. The younger smiled at Minjoo. 

That’s when Minjoo realized about the confidence that Yujin has, was something that made her attractive. Sometimes, Yujin might sound conceited about herself but it was not something annoying. 
The short haired girl honestly expresses her feelings and does the best that she can in everything. It was amazing to meet someone like that for Minjoo.
 That night was the moment when she suddenly realized that she wants to see Yujin as a part of the top 12. She wants the world to discover Yujin and her talent. She also realized the urge that she wanted herself to debut together with Yujin.


-

 

Minjoo smiled at this memory. For her, it was a night that made her realize a lot of things.  Now, thanks to Yujin, Minjoo gathered her confidence and did her best. 
They’re l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter