Chapter 03

My numb husband

 

I'm sorry for being a little sensitive that day, and I've decided to continue the story :)

 


 

The Pyebaek is the second event we're holding on after an official wedding we had a few days ago and that night, it went so smooth and well, following the steps we are leaning through the elders based of our tradition and culture. Everyone is satisfied.

Huffing, I lift a bit the yellow purple Hanbok skirt I'm wearing now, which easier for me to walk without having any problems as I slip the sandal on, approaching the front yard that belonging to Jung family with full of amazing landscape. Look at them, such a beautiful idea they had.

His mother had told me he probably is here, but I can't see any sign of him. Sighing, The ceremony just successfully ended an hour ago and I found Daehyun was gone after that. How dare he left me without a track of himself.

The night wind blow sheepishly and my feet wander around before I spot a figure, sitting quiet on the garden swing by himself with his phone on his hand. There, The swing is leaving unmoved due to how focus he is on that bright screen of his phone. Judging on his appearance, it seems like his Hanbok is gone somewhere, and he had changed back into something more casual and comforting with just a plain T-shirt and jeans.

Despite how simple his look is. I always find it stunning.

I breath out, shuffling down to his way as I set myself down right beside him. The swing shifted and crack a sound a little, but his feet strongly rooting down on the ground to hold it still.

I can tell he knows my presence here, yet he doesn't even try to give me a single glance. I stick out my bottom lip as I try to pump my feet on the ground but, it got blocked by his since the beginning so the swing is like being locked. I growl and make for another attempt to push my feet again "Ugh.. Let.. me.. move.. this.. swing, will you?"

Daehyun seems distracted, he looks at me who are trying harder on pushing the swing.

"Please.. let me! let me! Let me!" I childishly beg, and he surprisingly did. He shifts his weight to lean his back, lifting his feet and let me pump the swing. I'm happily push it with my feet and let them move back and forth with an extra wind blowing strong on my face. I grin before I catch he is muttering something.

"I forgot, you're still kid" with monotone voice.

I ignore him, and deciding to enjoy the moment first, before I break the silent between us, "You know. I was thinking, how to tell our parents about this"

He turns away from his phone and go looking for my face. A curiosity frown draw on his face, clueless on what I'm referring about.

Taking a deep breath, I calmly point to my stomach and give him a bitter smile. His gaze drops at where am I pointing before looking away. He shoves his phone inside his pocket jeans and deciding to enjoy the night together with me.

It seems he's going to listen to me more.

"I can picture how shock they would be once they find out. I mean, this is somehow doesn't even make sense if we suddenly announce about me being pregnant. Well.. you know, we're personally not really close enough.. I mean, this baby is just four weeks but we got married a few days ago. Isn't it funny?" I let out a half hearted laugh between in. I can't even hide the huge stress in my voice, they are slightly shaky in the tone.

After we smoothly settled down the problem that morning, I just found my courage and brought Daehyun along to meet the doctor and it was officially confirmed that I'm pregnant right now. After all, pregnancy test is not enough which I need a proper guidance. Then, the next visit the doctor will inform me about the antenatal appointments during my pregnancy. She said, the schedule will be a bit hectic because this is my first child. I got so nervous, thought that's going to be my new experience. Good thing, Daehyun chose to stay with me. Somehow, I feel sorry for him. He is too kind with me, but sometimes I get a little confused if he does care or he doesn't.

The swing let out an inaudible crack sound, when I pump my feet again.

"There's must be at least a way to settle it. Though, we need to come out as some lies a bit" He pauses, staring empty over the homemade waterfall in front of us "Guess, We'll figure out later how to tell them" He adds fluently after being a complete silent a while ago.

I don't know how come he can be this calm and we both look like a partner in crime, not really a married couple.

I quickly shake my head, "Nah, I think I'm the only one who will tell them by myself. You can stay out of it." I correct him, already thinking on the lies I'm going to tell, to make it more logical and believable.

He remains quiet, doesn't actual react on this and let it without any response afterward. He always return me with his silentness. It's a questionable, I can't tell, if it's a yes or no, agree or not.

The swing is starting to become slow, I'm about to push it again, but it seems he is faster than me when he is the one who pumps his feet on the ground, taking my job away. He is unknowingly placing his arm behind me at the iron swing we are sitting, looking up straight at the dark vast sky above us. His adam's apple charmingly moves up and down everytime he swallows the saliva.

He as if in a deep trance, with his eyes glitter under the light.

while me, for like a countless times I have found myself staring at his face again.

...

Have I told you what Daehyun's job is? Apparently, he is one of those interior designers. It's what I've heard from his mother. I don't know a lot about the job. However, that's explain much why his house had been so awesome and beautiful with the aesthetic design. The furnitures, walls, floors, colours and everything is like putting in one selected concept. The environment literally calm and pleasant.

I have not realized, someone had walked in and there, standing a figure with his briefcase bag is hanging over his left shoulder by the already closed door behind him, where his eyes catch me who are quietly running my forefinger over his transparent aquarium. Watching the fishes are swimming back and forth, showing off their beautiful scales.

I don't know how long I've been in the position. I'm such in my own world while my other arm wraps around my legs, hugging down on my chest by the wooden chair I'm sitting now.

Drawing in my hand back, I look over when I sense like somebody is with me in the living room and my face light up "Oh, You're home"

A wide smile spreads across of my mouth as my gaze darts to his face. As an usual, he just gives me a simple 'hmm' for the response with that same expression of his again. Those narrow eyes always got me whenever I land mine to them. They are so pulling for me to stare over and over. I know, besides me, he also has his own secret. The thing only he knows.

A part of me is slowly wish I can find out about it later. I want to know why he has been this numb and unfeeling. That's so suspicious to be ignored since I'm a part of his life now.

He told me he took a week off for marriage leave, there's still two days left. But today his co-worker had called him early in the morning to come to the office, which is the reason why I was left alone at home a while ago. I didn't expect he would be home this late. It's almost seven in the evening. Maybe I need to get used with it.

I instantly glance at the white plastic bag in his hand and considering he'd bought us a dinner again. Honestly I'm embarrassed, and I'll find a way to learn cooking someday, because I'm starting to feel bad for having this lack. It's supposed to be an important role. I hope it doesn't bother him when my ton of flaws are slowly revealing. After all, we're living under the same roof which means, there's no way of hiding who we are.

I get up, taking two steps "What is-"

My words have been cut off when my phone starts to ring. The vibrating sound could be heard when they are laying down on the wooden chair there. I return back to the chair and snatch the phone away, checking the caller name.

Mom

I look over Daehyun and his gaze still loyal on me. Without breaking our eyes contact, I answer the call cautiously.

"Hello mom" I start, and Daehyun immediately turns away, as he starts to arrange his steps to the kitchen. I'm only watching him, having an argue to ask him to stay a little longer. If I could.

"You little sneaky girl, how dare you kept this to us" My mom beams all of sudden.

"Huh?" I blink, my eyebrows wrinkled deep, quickly bringing back into my sense. I'm about to ask her but she adds again "I'm so excited for my grandchild to come out"

Her voice sounds completely delight that I have ever listened and I'm baffle for like a few seconds.

"Wait? How did you know that?" My eyes instantly looking for his figure but, to my disappointment he already disappeared behind the bedroom door after placing the dinner on the counter island. I sit back on the chair and still confused. There's like an unsettle thing, especially when my mother suddenly hits me up.

"There's nothing to be hidden anymore" She firmly says, slightly disappointed "Good thing, Daehyun told us about it"

I knew it, as my shoulders slump down by it owns. That's explain why he had come home late, yet I didn't expect he would do it ahead than me. I didn't expect him to get involved too. I just didn't expect anything from him since he'd shown me less interesting on my business, despite he is still stick with me.

"I'm sorry, thing is slightly out of control. So I don't know how to start with" I sincerely mutter, breathing out.

"It's okay, honey, we are already know, that's more matter to us" I can feel her smile there. Just then, she offers herself to drop some useful tips for me, based of her experience. I'm just all ears.

After talking with her for almost thirty minutes, I hang up the call and on the right time, Daehyun dashes out from his bedroom in completely cleaned, only leaving him with a wet hair. He wears that big sized T-shirt and a short pants again.

I approach him, who is heading to the kitchen right now.

I place my phone on the counter "What did you tell them?" I follow him to the sink.

"You know, I told you I will tell myself" I go on when he doesn't say anything. "Tell me" I insist.

He is still in tight-lipped mood, I wait as I watch him washing his hands silently. Then, he wipes it to the small towel that hanging there before taking a glass at the corner.

"You can't let me to be left out like this, I need to know too" I follow him when he moves to the fridge, taking a bottle of cold water then bringing them to pour it down to his glass on the top of the counter.

It seems, I'm as if an invisible ghost that lingering around him, but I still keep on insisting.

I sarcastically snicker, as I bend and rest my elbow there with chin on my palm, tilting my head to see his face. "You don't make it a story way too dramatic, right?"

I'm seriously dying to know, what kind of scenario he had told them. It's because, I didn't have a chance to ask my mom a minute ago, since she had cut the topic right away. I make a cute puppy eyes but, still he ignores me and acting like I'm not there.

I grunt, then pout furiously. In fact, That face doesn't show he is annoying like I thought he would be. I don't get it. Now, I'm the only one who is frustrating over his unceremonious behavior.

He calmly gulps down the water then, start to speak eventually. "I told them, we actually have been knowing each other before marrying, and that one night I accidentally got you pregnant"

I dumbfounded "You're kidding me, right?" I found myself gawk with my eyes almost pop out. He didn't tell them with that pokerface of his, right? I can't even put it into my imagination, how ridiculous the thing is. It doesn't even make sense!

"It's a long short story honestly" He simply mutters. He really doesn't have plan to tell me entirely.

And leave me wordless afterward. I really don't have any comments on that. He knows how to shut me down. He sets the glass down, then proceeding to take two plates for us.

But in spite of the fact that I can't even be mad at him either, because he is the nicest man I have even met as I'm observing him preparing the dinner with a heavy sigh leaves my mouth.

However, Every his movement abruptly stop mid-way, as his stare stays on one spot " And one more thing, my father told me he wants to sponsor for our honeymoon as a gift"

I feel a strange feeling crawls inside of me all of sudden, before he continues again "But, I said I don't want to go overseas other than inside of the country. So, I chose the destination of Jeju Island instead, is that alright?" He lifts his head, and his gaze meets mine in a split of second.

I flinch and this is my first time I'm flutter upon his gaze. Quickly I avert my eyes away "Alright" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

If you're reading this, it means you still read my story.. thank you ^^

I'm sorry if you have found any mistakes or some an error grammar there. 

 

Pyebaek