001

Let Me Fix You

2018

 

“I’m so excited for your first day at Seoul Arts University Hyejin-ah. The first day is the most exciting!” Sooji chirped as she was packing her backpack. “You mean the most awkward Unnie.” Sooji was on her second year for Fine Arts. Hyejin didn’t really know what she wanted to do, her parents decided to leave her when she was little, saying she was a burden. They left her at her aunts who kicked her out in her last year of high school, since she was “practically an adult”. Her aunt never liked the girl, but she took her in because of the support money she was getting every year from the government, which she gambled away. The sad part was, her aunt died right before graduation. The actual sad part was that her aunt had thousands of debts from gangsters, who are now expecting Hyejin to pay back her aunt’s debts.

 

She wasn’t the bubbliest girl out there nor was she a pessimist, she was just very neutral, but after everything that had happened to her, she turned into a “I don’t give a crap about you” type of girl. Luckily, she met Sooji at a part time job (she did quite a lot of them), who was looking for a housemate. At first, she didn’t really talk to Sooji, as she didn’t want to get attached to her. Hyejin started to open up to Sooji when the latter got drunk at home, raging about her ex-boyfriend and Hyejin had to calm her down for the whole night so neighbors wouldn’t call the cops.

 

Hyejin managed to work part time at a restaurant/bar and to graduate high school. She didn’t know how she did it, but she did, she had to. Her friend wasn’t the type to nag for late payed rent, but still. That was the least Hyejin could do, after all Sooji practically took a stranger in. As for Hyejin’s course, she decided on Writing/Composing Music. She wasn’t really the type to sing, but she had quite the talent for writing and you get a lot of cash from royalty, which meant: debts no more.

 

After the two friends arrived at the campus, they separated for their own classes. The first thing Hyejin noticed while walking through the halls: University is just like high school, sadly. Everyone had their reputation, the ones who cared too much had bad attitude, the ones who didn’t were bullies, taking advantage of the smart ones. There were mean sunbaes and nice sunbaes. And so on.

 

The first lecture consisted of introducing one self, telling your goals in life and why you decided on this course. The usual stuff. Hyejin was not paying attention to anyone, she wasn’t really interested in other people anymore, after her parents left her. Don’t get attached and you won’t get hurt. That’s what she always told herself. As Hyejin was strolling through the building’s halls after her classes, she felt a great weight on her shoulders, it was an arm. “Hyejin-ah! I didn’t think I’d see you here. So, you decided on Seoul Arts?”

 

“Who-?” Hyejin was confused. She couldn’t recognize his face, yet it seemed very familiar. “Don’t tell me you don’t remember me? After all we’ve been through?” The person in front of her was acting disappointed, but as soon as he saw Hyejin’s “wtf” glare he couldn’t help but laugh. “Yah, it’s Sehun. Oh Sehun. Will this help your memory?” He stretched out his arm to ruffle her hair in chaos, like he used to.

 

Hyejin didn’t have a lot of friends in high school. You couldn’t really call them friends, more like acquaintances. She wasn’t an outsider, nor did she get bullied. She just minded her own business, well... beside that one day she didn’t, or rather couldn’t. But the person who was in front of her, was a playground friend. A friend she used to play with almost every day in elementary school. The only one who wanted to play with her, despite her grumpy cold stare she always had plastered on her face. His family decided to move to America to expand their business and they lost contact soon after.

 

“Wait-. Aren’t you-? When did you-? What are you doing here?” Hyejin didn’t know what to ask first. “Yes, you remember correctly, I moved to the US. I got back three months ago. I could convince my parents to finish my studies here in Korea. How cool’s that?” Sehun was waiting for a high five, which Hyejin gladly accepted. It was nice meeting someone again who she had good memories with.

 

 

Hyejin was preparing dinner for her and Sooji when the latter entered their beloved home a little bit too cheerful. “Hyejin, my wonderful friend, let me help you with that.” Sooji hummed. Hyejin raised an eyebrow at the girl in front of her. Sooji never cooked, not because she didn’t want to, but because she couldn’t. She just wasn’t capable of cooking something without getting herself hurt, that’s why Hyejin was in charge in their kitchen. “What’s up with you? And give me that, you’re going to hurt yourself. Somehow.” Hyejin grabbed the wooden spoon back, so Sooji just watched Hyejin cook.

 

“Remember Chanyeol? The cute guy I told you about.” Sooji grinned like a silly child and that’s when Hyejin knew immediately. “You two are official, aren’t you?” Her friend gave her a knowing grin and wriggled her eyebrows. “Oh love, what an awful thing to feel.” Hyejin dramatically raised her arms which earned her a hit with the kitchen towel from her friend. “I’m just waiting for the day you fall in love and I’ll be the one laughing at you because you’ll love being in love.”

 

Hyejin just rolled her eyes and shook her head. She and in love? Not going to happen, at least anytime soon. She doesn’t have time for that silly thing called love. She needs to work her off because of her good for nothing aunt’s debts and graduate as soon as possible so she can move on to a full-time job and get lots of cash. Well that was Hyejin’s plan.

 

Sooji had has her eyes on Chanyeol since the beginning of her first year, but of course she was too shy to ever talk to him. He was very popular with the girls, which earned him a few confessions here and there, Hyejin could recall Sooji getting home all sad because she couldn’t do anything about her shyness. Somehow, she got is number from a friend’s friend, whose brother’s friend was Chanyeol’s classmate. When Hyejin couldn’t bare the sight of gloomy Sooji anymore she grabbed her friend’s phone to text Chanyeol a simple hi. That earned her a smack on the from Sooji, but the latter was on cloud 9 after that and soon they started dating.

 

Hyejin hated meddling with things that wasn’t any of her business, but Sooji was the closest she had to a family, so it was acceptable. “So, can you teach me how to make this dish? It’s his favorite!” Sooji showed her a picture of a fancy dish, which even Hyejin has never cooked before. “Sooji Unnie, you can’t even turn the stove on without burning yourself.” Sooji gave her the puppy dog eyes, which never worked. “You know those don’t work on me. Go teach yourself how to do it.”

 

“But you just said I can’t even turn the stove on without getting hurt, how am I supposed to learn it myself?” After thinking about every scenario of how Sooji could hurt herself, Hyejin gave in. After all, Sooji owns this place and she would have to find herself a new housemate or rather a new apartment if Sooji ends up burning it down.

 

“Alright, but you’re doing the dishes.” Those words earned Hyejin a tight hug from Sooji, which she struggled to get away from. “Thaaaaank you, that’s why you’re my favorite housemate.”

 

“Let go, you know I hate hugs.” Hyejin scrunched her nose but couldn’t help a little chuckle coming out seeing how happy her friend was. “Omg you even chuckle now, did I break the walls of your heart. Am I your true love?” Sooji was holding her hand now, exaggerating the words true love. Hyejin shook of Sooji’s hand and grabbed the plate with the food she prepared. “Shut up and eat.”

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

If you're curious, here's Hyejin & Sooji's Apartment