Chapter 25

It's still her

Chapter 25

 

After crying her tears out, kneeling down praying on her life. Grasping hair, she muttering for a better life. She doesn’t ask for her life to be this misfortune, she wants to be happy with Jennie, but after an hour, tears won’t flow out anymore. Because she realises that she couldn’t always get what she wanted. She brings herself to Michalle’s house, living there for the times being.

 

Now, Rose stares at the wedding invitation with empty mind. Her mind is not racing anymore about the thought that she wouldn’t be happy anymore. But still she looks pitiful, so pitiful. During her stay here, Michalle has taken care after her, telling her to forget about work for a little while.

 

After three days rotten at Michalle’s place, Rose got a call for the first time. Her phone beeped on a small table beside a bed that she had claim as her own. Rose was laying on her bed, shutting her eyes tight close. She didn’t want anyone to disturb her, she’s not in the mood to move.

 

However, her phone kept ringing, she sighs, annoyed. Answer her phone after glancing that Michalle is the one who’d calling her.

 

“yeah” She answers uninterested.

 

“Hello Rose, did I disturb you?”

 

“um, a little bit but I’m okay. Can you please straight to the point why are you calling me?”

 

“We’ve arrested the culprit”

 

“What?!”

 

Rose drives to police station right away. She needs to see the culprit and saying that she didn’t shocked at the news would be totally a lie. Never she expected that James would do thing like that. ‘Why he did that?’ She thinks to herself over and over again.

 

“Michalle, how did it happen?”

 

She asks Michalle when she enters at the back of conference room. In front of them, through the big transparent mirror, James was sitting with a cop beside him.

 

“Mrs Kim made a confession about it, with the evidence, we went right away to James. And, he turned in himself without force.”

 

Rose glances at James through the mirror. “Can I go in?”

 

James seems to be thoughtful before give her a permission.

 

With trembling hands, she opens a door knob, going through the door to see a man on his thirty with his head down, hands cuffed, sitting on a chair in front a desk. Rose sits at the opposite chair from him, tilting her head for guards there to leave.

 

As soon as she sits on the chair, James facing up on her. “You’re a cop, why I’m not surprised”

 

“Why you did this?” She straights to the point, won’t wait any longer. Letting out her mind that have been haunting her mind ever since.

 

James snorts, “Why, huh. Well, I just want to do it”

 

Rose grits her teeth, blood thumped fasten, boiling all through her veins. “You can’t just kill people easily like that! What had they do wrong to you?!”

 

Rose rose from her seat, slamming the table in front her.

 

James faces her with an empty look, but he doesn’t give any response. Impatient with the situation, Rose pulls him by collar, “Aren’t you going to answer me!”

 

To Rose annoying James still keeps mum, Rose punches him straight on the face not caring that she has crossed the protocol.

 

It left James with a broken lips, blood dripping out. James smiles saintly, and one more hard fist landed on his face. James dropped on the floor out of the impact. Rose is fuming looking at him down.

 

James laughs brokenly, he looks over at Rose as he was challenging her. Rose pulls him up by collar, “Why you did that, you bastard! I lost my parents because of you!”

 

“It’s hurt right” Rose looks at him confuse. James has stopped laughing. “That’s what I felt years ago. Didn’t you remember Rose, 15 years ago. My father died because of you”

 

Rose’s eyes wide opened, she looks at James in shock. Her grips loosing.

 

“Because of you I lost my father, because of you I was rotten in cell for 8 years! You know how I feel now! If you not cross the road, this wouldn’t happen. I wouldn’t lose my father and rotten in the jail.”

 

Trembled lips, James snaps out at Rose. The latter has pulled away from Rose. Dropped on his knees.

 

Rose stands frozen on the place. The old memories flashed inside her mind. Leaving James broken, she walks away.

 

 

Flashback

 

 

Rose played with snow fall, under the shaded moon. Rose giggled seeing a little circle of snow fall on her wide opened little palms.

 

“Rosie, you’re so kid”

 

Rose snorted at the sarcastic remark, “Like you’re not a kid Jennie”

 

Jennie simply shrugged, made her way at Rose in front of her house. Jennie wrapped her little arms around Rose’s waist, “Later, when I grew up, I would ask you to be my girlfriend”

 

Rose shook her head at the hopeless talk romance, “We can’t Jennie, we’re both girls. Aren’t it weird

 

Jennie frowned at Rose’s shoulder, “What can I do, I love you so much”

 

Rose smiled hearing the soft wavering voice, “We would make it out then”

 

“Kay, later we would make it out” Rose patted Jennie’s hand on her stomach.

 

“Hey, let’s play inside, it’s chilling here” Jennie pulled Rose, walking inside. They walked hand in hand.

 

“So, my wife would go today.” In the living room, they saw Jennie’s father were talking with Mr Yang.

 

“Yes, she will come with me to Korea”

 

“I see. Take care of her for me Hyun Suk, I trust you”

 

The kids were shocked especially Jennie. She had known that her mother would leave her but she didn’t know it was today. She rushed upstairs leaving Rose in the living room.

 

Rose waited at the corner of the room, giving Jennie privacy with her mother. A moment later, Jennie was running down the stairs, while wiping her eyes. She must be crying.

 

“Jennie wait!” Jennie’s mother tailed after Jennie.

 

Rose didn’t give another thought she ran after Jennie.

 

 

 

James came out from a club with his friends. He was not in good condition consider how drunk he was right now. His friends had long to be gone home, leaving him alone.

 

With no choice, he decided to drive, after he took bottles of drink. It lessened his tipsy. He drove his car onto the road.

 

Loud song blasting inside his car, he bobbed his head in rhythm. He turned to the right at T-junction towards his house, unexpectedly a small figure crossed the road. His eyes widened, his mind lost at the moment.

 

He pushed the break handle but he couldn’t make it. A loud thump heard on his car rooftop. His hands trembled. He went out from his car, and break into tears when he saw his father laying on the road, lifeless.

 

“Father!”

 

End of flashback.

 

 

“That time, my son James caught imprisoned for 8 years because driving under alcohol influence. I left my daughter Jennie with perception that her brother was sent to China, to continue his studies. How can I tell the truth to the poor girl, when me as an adult cannot even bear with it?

 

But, I never expect that James would blamed this to you, Rose. I never knew that he would actually killed people, if he didn’t inform me, himself.”

 

Tears brimmed in her eyes, hearing from Mrs Kim’s words cannot made all worst. She looks at Mrs Kim with hand-cuffed.

 

“This is all my fault” She breaks into tears. Knocking her head thumpity.

 

“It’s no one fault Rose. If it any it would be me to blame to. If I not leaving that night, Jennie wouldn’t run away and you wouldn’t run after her. It all because if me” Mrs Kim says to seny all the guilty that Rose felt.

 

Rose faces up, looking at Mrs Kim’s cuffed-hands. “How long?”

 

Mrs Kim smiles, “Not long, but I rather not saying how long”

 

Rose sighs knowing well, that no matter how long it is, it must be years. “I guess, I should go now. All have been solved, and I hope to see you for better”

 

Mrs Kim simply smiles, and Rose wipes her tears. Now, she can rest well, and maybe she would fly to Australia as soon after.

 

Her mind eased, but her heart still hurting. Hurt of the truth, and hurt because at the end she can’t make it with Jennie.

 

She stands up, bowing to Mrs Kim for the last time. “Goodbye Mrs Kim. Thanks for everything”

 

“Rose”

 

Rose stops while holding the door knob. She turns over her shoulder at Mrs Kim.

 

Mrs Kim looks at her, “Jennie loves you. She was forced to get married to Lisa, to protect you. James threatened her, to not be with you. That was the only way to prove to James, that she was over you. But, actually she didn’t Rose. She still loves you”

 

Rose holds the knob tight, biting her lip to refrain her tears flowing out. How can she still have hope to be with Jennie, when she was the reason that her mother would caught behind bars. After all of this, she doesn’t think that Jennie still want to be with her.

 

“I don’t think that I can”

 

“Everything can be solved Rose.”

 

“She’s getting married, and I think it was for the best”

 

Rose walks away, through the big entrance door of the station. Unexpectedly, she bumps with Jennie.

 

They stood frozen looking at each other. Jennie takes a right step to getting through, but Jennie takes the same step. They both fluttered.

 

Rose clears after immediately step to the side. She gestures for Jennie to go first, which is Jennie answer it with a small smile. The smile that didn’t reach her eyes.

 

“Jennie” Rose calls and Jennie stops at fourth steps. Rose turns behind, facing Jennie. As for Jennie, she turns over her shoulder.

 

Rose gapes at Jennie after a month didn’t see her, she had become surprisingly beautiful than ever. Maybe because she was going to get married. Jennie wears black-white buttoned blouse with tight black jeans. Gosh, did she pretty.

 

Even with her beautiful face with a retouched make-up, Rose could see her moistly cheeks and her eyes a bit red. She must be crying, who doesn’t when their mother and brother were caught up behind bars.

 

“Um—” Jennie knits her eyebrows at the troubled Rose for saying whatever she intends to.

 

“Congratulation” Her voice comes out shallow and soft. Like a whisper that she didn’t really want to say.

 

“Thank you” Jennie nods at her, before proceed inside. Rose smiles bitterly, “I guess that’s it”, she utters while watching the back figure of Jennie, entering the building.

 

 

 

 

 

The invitation card was not for her to come to the wedding ceremony, but she did come. Seeing the big hall that contained thousands of people, mixed races, regions, skins and languages. It was happening, hearing some of them struggle to speak with another nation.

 

Rose smiles with a glass of champagne in her grasp. She looks around the familiar faces, lots of artist came. Rose astonishes with the situation, where artists mingled with their fans at the grand ceremony.

 

“I know you would came”

 

Rose turns to the unexpected intruder, she scowls when seeing Jisoo with the same kind of drink in her hand. Rose checks out Jisoo’s cloths. Jisoo indeed is beautiful with white tight dress that ended at her ankle.

 

“Stop staring at me, someone might be jealous”

 

Rose frowns, “Who’ll jealous? I’m not in any relationships Unnie”

 

Jisoo just simply smirks, not answering Rose. The blonde decides to not pushing over the topic.

 

They both focusing on the alter, when loud of claps echoes in the hall. There it is, Jennie and Lisa walking hand in hand, while Jennie holding a bouquet of flowers. They both were glorious with the white gowns, that wiping the floor.

 

Rose’s eyes froze to a certain brunette, walking to the altar. She holds her breath seeing the most beautiful creature that she had ever landed her eyes to. She tries hard to not imagining it was her who’s walking with the brunette.

 

Rose smiles as natural as she could to Jennie, when their eyes met. The spars still there, Rose could feel it, at first it was forcefully, but slowly her smile becomes radiant. Her eyes focusing on the pair of cat-eyes of Jennie’s.

 

Jennie averts her eyes, and it seems they have staring at each other long enough for Jennie had reach to the priest.

 

Rose sees Jennie and Lisa stood side by side facing the priest. This is the time, where the brides vowing to the priest. Rose smiles, with hoping that she can move on.

 

The priest leads the vows, “Jennie Kim, will you take Lalisa Manoban here present, for your lawful wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death?

 

Rose hears it clean and clear, her heart beating fast, she closes her eyes waiting for the obvious answer.

 

“I… will” The vows from Jennie made all of her hope shattered in dismay. Rose didn’t realise that she still hoping for them until now.

 

“Lalisa Manoban, will you take Jennie Kim here present, for your lawful wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death?”

 

Rose turns around, putting her empty glass to a table, she walks to the front door.

 

“I… Rose Park”

 

Hall becomes quiet, people gasps at the unexpected answer. It’s so quiet as if we can hear if a needle dropped on the floor. Everyone are shocked. Lisa was saying a name, instead doing her vows.

 

Rose halts on her feet, she still facing the front door. She thought that she heard wrong, but once again, her name is called by Lisa.

 

“I’m sorry, I can’t do this”

 

Lisa breaks made Rose turns to the pair on the altar. She realises that Lisa has been looking at her, made everyone acknowledge that it was her that Lisa called after.

 

“I’m sorry everyone, this wedding can’t be through.” Jennie shakes her head at Lisa, knowing well what she would do. Jennie can’t bear to see Lisa heartbroken again, after coming all to this.

 

Lisa side smiles at Jennie, with her eyes held a meaning. To let Jennie goes, freeing Jennie for the right. Jennie knows the signs, her eyes brimmed with tears when Lisa facing the crowds.

 

“Listen here, everyone, this marriage still happening, but not the same bride. This marriage is not meant for me, but to the eternity love of Jennie and Rose. I’m sorry for the sudden alter but you see I can’t be the reason why Jennie here lose her smile one day. I want her to be happy and I know it wasn’t me the one who can put the smile”

 

Every soul in the hall gasp at the sudden announcement, some in awe with Lisa’s sincere words. Rose stood shocks, looking at Lisa and Jennie.

 

Jennie holds , holding herself from breaking miserable in the front of thousand people. Lisa holds Jennie’s hand. “I need to let you go to the right one, now. I’m sorry for all the problems I have done to you and Rose”

 

“Lisa…” Jennie shakes her head again, but Lisa is persistent of her decision right now. For the first time, she feels that she does the good thing.

 

“I’ll be fine Jennie. Go” Lisa steps away from the altar.

 

She walks straight to Jisoo. “Nice talk huh”

 

“Yeah, I memorised it last night” They share laughs before focusing on the free drama in front of them.

 

Jennie turns to the front seeing Rose in white buttoned shirt with black pants. Her blonde shines than ever, her lips wrapped by red lipstick. Rose looks gorgeous today, extra one that she did a professional make-up.

 

They stare at each other, with thousand pair of eyes watching them. Rose stands two feet away from Jennie.

 

Jennie lets out an opportune smile. The smile that hold a meaning that she was the luckiest human ever. Rose replying the smile, with tears b. Her eyes look like a broken piece of glasses, that mirroring Jennie’s image.

 

“Jennie” She starts, let the name hanging in the air for her to realise how much she wanted to call after Jennie. Uttering the name of her love. Her beloved one. “I know I have small arms, a mess background, but I hope I can catch you always in my arms and I hope that I would make a better background of my life with you.”

 

Rose reaches for Jennie’s hand, intertwining her hand with Jennie’s. Devoted the feeling with their little touch. “Will you be my wife, Jennie Kim?”

 

Jennie nods as for the answer, swallowing her tears. “Yes, I will”

 

 

 

 

“Rose Park, will you take Jennie Kim here present, for your lawful wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death?”

 

Rose holds her gaze fondly at Jennie’s eyes. Their both hands intertwining with each other, tightly with compassionate gesture.

 

“I, Rose Park will take Jennie Kim as my lawful wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death”

 

Jennie smiles shyly at Rose’s vows, her stomach felt giddy with butterflies.

 

“And you, Jennie Kim, will you take Rose Park here present, for your lawful wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death?”

 

Jennie smiles at Rose, tighten their hold. “I, Jennie Kim will take Rose Park as my lawful wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death”

 

You may kiss each other.

 

Rose pulls Jennie forward, kissing her fully on the lips. Slowly and compassionately, they feel each other’s lips again. Rose guides Jennie’s hands, circling her neck. And Rose puts her arms around Jennie’s waist.

 

Crowds clapping simultaneously, smiles radiant on their faces.

 

“Rose Park,

I don’t want to be solo,

If she is the player,

Instead of Goodbye, I choose Hello,

Coz in my heart, It’s still Her.”

 

 

THE END