Responsibility

Chronicles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Chenle," Someone was calling him. "Chenle!"

He was jolted awake, Renjun standing next to his bed and gently shaking him. 

"There's a thunderstorm coming and Jeno says the winds don't feel right," 

"What?" Chenle looked out the window. It was quiet.

"No, not here, elsewhere." 

Chenle felt like he had a ton of question marks above his head, his eyes still barely open.

"'Elsewhere'? How in the world am I supposed to--" Chenle stopped speaking, a flash of light shining through his eyes and he saw it. He saw lightning striking large diesel tanks, the brown, thick liquid spurting out at an alarming rate and toward a factory nearby. The vision disappeared and Chenle blinked.

"You just had a vision. Where was it?" Renjun frowned, scanning the younger's face. Before he could explain what he had seen, Jaemin's yell shot through the entire house. Renjun and Chenle together with Jisung stumbled out the room and into Renjun's where he shared a room with Jaemin, noticing his fists were balled up and the trees directly outside their room's window were shaking.

"I see it, the fire, the trees burning, the soil heating up, I see it," Jaemin was on the verge of crying. 

"I feel it too, there's a thunderstorm somewhere, and it's going to be devastating if we don't stop it," Jeno looked up from the ground, his eyes flashing a grey, silvery color.

"Can you pinpoint it?" Renjun looked at Jaemin. He was the only one who would be able to pick the exact location due to his power of Earth. 

"Uh guys," Dong Hyuk who was sitting next to Jeno suddenly spoke up. "The fire, it's going to spread, cause a wildfire," 

"Jaemin," Renjun turned back to him. "Come on, lives are at stake."

"I'm trying!" Jaemin winced. He shut his eyes tightly and tried to feel the Earth. He didn't even know if it had already happened or it was just a futuristic vision. Green light was shining through the gaps of his fingers, some of it even coming out under his eyelids through his lashes. Jaemin suddenly got off his bed and surged for the door, his hasty, nervous and uncomposed self a stark contrast with the calm, quiet midnight. He rolled onto the grass patch right down the stairs of their porch, digging his fingers into the grass and grain, the gresn streaks of light spreading from his palms and into the ground. 

"Come on," He groaned, his powers making him feel nauseous as he was using way more energy than usual at a larger extent than ever before. The boys ran out of the house after him and crowded around him as they watched the green streaks of light disappear under the ground. 

"Egypt. The Durunka Village," Jaemin coughed out, his fingers increasingly gripping tightly onto the soil. Just as he said the location, Jeno was the next to react. His eyes swirled with bright grey swirls as he saw the winds blow those storm clouds towards the village, the high and intense charge causing bright streaks of light to slice through the puffy water vapour pillows.

"It's happening real time. The cloud hasn't reached the tanks but I can't stop it, not in time. Chenle, you need to redirect the bolts if I don't manage to pull the clouds away." Jeno instructed as he lifted his palms to the dark night sky, but in his vision, he was looking at the large lightning cloud looming over the village. 

"I can't see it, nothing's coming," Chenle began to panic. "I don't know if I can do it, this is the first time it's happened, I don't know if I can do it from so far away," Jisung grabbed Chenle's arm and placed his palm on Jaemin's back, the vision of the storm appearing infront of his eyes almost immediately.

"Oh my God," Chenle blinked his now yellow coated eyes as he watched the winds Jeno was controlling blowing the cloud in the opposite direction. The first flash of lightning appeared in the cloud.

"I'm not going to make it in time, Chenle, you have to get ready!"

"I'm not ready--"

"You don't have a choice!" Jeno yelled, the winds not blowing the cloud away fast enough. Chenle gritted his teeth and stretched out his palms, flashes of lightning becoming more and more frequent.

"You can do it, come on." Jisung's voice echoed in the background behind all the villager's shouts and exclaims as they realised the lightning cloud seemed too menacing for them to be around any longer.

Chenle took a deep breath and let loud a long sigh, his palms facing the clouds before closing into a fist. He gritted his teeth and felt the tightness of trying to close a jar, but instead of closing a jar, he was compressing all the lightning currents in the cloud into a ball within it, making sure none of it left the cloud.

"Jeno hyung! Take it away!" Chenle grunted, his energy draining way too quickly.

The silver swirls in Jeno's got even more intense as he chanelled more of his energy into the wind control. The electric currents in the cloud was kept held in that small area, the entire volume of water vapour being slowly redirected away from the village. 

"Jeno, be careful. You don't want to conjure up a hurricane," Renjun warned. 

"I'm trying but it's difficult to control when it's not right infront of you," Jeno groaned, his energy wearing out.

"Jeno hyung! Hurry!" Chenle nearly screamed. Hearing the younger's cry, Jeno gave one last shout and conjured up massive winds strong enough to uproot some trees.

"Jeno! Careful! You've uprooted some trees!" Jaemin reported, his fingers still in the soil. The winds aggressively blew the cloud away from the village, the pressure on the electric currents shrinking as Chenle slowly lost control over it, the winds already blowing it off course. The swirls in Jeno's eyes disappeared as he fell to the ground, his powers completely draining him, and so as it was for Jaemin and Chenle. The yellow coat dissipated from Chenle's eyes as he fainted from the overexertion, Jaemin hurling up his dinner as he pulled away from the soil. 

"Come on, we have to get them back in." Renjun instructed Dong Hyuk and Jisung, each helping one up from the ground and into their respective rooms. 

 

The next morning

Jaemin hopped out of bed as the warm sunlight shone on his face and seeped through into his eyes underneath his lids.

"School--"

"It's Saturday. Relax." Renjun was already washed up and in a new set of comfortable clothing: a puffy pullover and trackpants. Jaemin leaned back into his bed with his elbows propping him up.

"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter