Control

Chronicles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Yah, what do you think you're doing?" 

The sound waves of his voice that brushed against the air particles carried them towards the boys who were playfully giving each other headlocks and ruffling each others hair. Jeno heard it first.

"Ooh!" The crowd exclaimed. The boys immediately stopped and turned, noticing a small crowd gathering at the end of the line before the food. 

"You really aren't scared of me?" Jeno heard it again. Renjun noticed Jeno's brows furrowing into each other, only his neck craning to see what's going on because the others haven't caught up yet.

"What's going on?" Renjun tiptoed and tried looking too.

"Sounds like Sung Cheol is kicking up some big fuss again." Jeno said loud enough only for Renjun to hear. The top of Sung Cheol's head emerged from the crowd again, his big, burly sized built towering over someone else.

"Dude," Jisung was squatting down and looking at the scene under people's legs. "That's Hwansung. He's in my class." Hwansung had his back to the floor, his food cluttered all around him and his books in some of the splattered food. Jaemin was ready to throw a punch at the 10th grader. Despite Sung Cheol being younger than them, he was a whole head taller than Jisung, and Jisung was the tallest amongst them. 

"Jaemin-" Jeno watched as Jaemin brushed his grip off and squeezed himself through the crowd to the commotion.

"Kim Sung Cheol," Jaemin stood between the big teen and his same-aged victim. "Pick on someone your own size will you?" Jaemin shoved Sung Cheol's left shoulder. Sung Cheol snorted, dropping his bag to the floor and cracking his knuckles. 

"Just because you're a 12th grade senior doesn't make me any more scared of your tiny ." Sung Cheol smirked. Jaemin clenched his fists, feeling the soil and rock below the school slowly rumble in its place. 

"He's doing it, we better stop it." Jisung warned the older boys, feeling the water from underground tremble from the impact of Jaemin's control. Dong Hyuck shoved his way through the crowd and pull Jaemin backwards, grabbing the kid on the floor by his collars and shoving him into Jaemin's hands. Jisung felt the water calm. 

"You of all people should know, after being suspended on more than one occasion, that CCTV behind you catches anything else bleeding under your fist again, you will be expelled." Dong Hyuk pointed behind Sung Cheol at the CCTV before jabbing his pointer into his chest, channelling some of his powers to his finger. "You will not lay a finger on anybody, or so help me, I will make sure you never get the education the average person deserves in his life, because in truth, a dip with a peabrain like yours, doesn't deserve it." Dong Hyuck momentarily clenched his teeth and ignited his finger for a split second, hot enough to make Sung Cheol wince in pain and back off. 

"What are all of you looking at? Shoo!" Dong Hyuk turned to the crowd and shouted. The crowd dissipated almost immediately as Jaemin settled the kid down and helped clean his stuff next to a window where the light helped to dry some of his wet stationery.

"Don't mess with a kid like Sung Cheol. Not worth your time." Jaemin stuck his hand out of the window and into the bush outside, instantly growing and pulling a small flower out from the bush and handing it to the kid.

 

"That was pretty gay, don't you think?" Jeno pursed his lips as the group of them strolled out of the cafeteria.

"Hey, poor kid was humiliated infront of the entire cafeteria. Don't you think he needed some comfort?" Jaemin rolled his eyes.

"The comfort I'd want then is to go home, not a flower." Jisung shook his head.

"Maybe Jaemin is gay afterall," Dong Hyuk snickered.

"I'm right here!" Jaemin scoffed, smiling widely at Dong Hyuk.

As they walked along the halls of the school, while Jisung was talking to the boys about what had happened, he bumped into someone, the sound of books and notes falling to the floor gained the group's attention. 

"Oh geez," Jisung embarrassedly scratched the back of his head before bending down to help pick up the stuff on the floor. "I'm sorry, I-" Jisung's voice got stuck in his throat.  

Lee Cheon Ha.

"Cheon Ha," He breathed. Cheon Ha gave him a small smile, pushing her fringe out of her face after getting up. Chenle subtly backed up and watched on with amusement.

"I'm sorry, I was too busy reading my notes, I didn't see you walk past."

"Oh, no! It's totally fine, I didn't see you either." Jisung scratched the top of his head.

"Right." Cheon Ha smiled again, slightly embarrassed. She glanced at the group of boys looking at her from behind him, the 00 liner calmly waving to her since her brother was in their class. The awkward moment was violently interrupted by a distant water cooler's tap snapping off, the tap hitting the ceiling and the water spurting out before calming down. The students around, including the boys, jumped in shock in reaction to the sudden "pop". Chenle cracked up and snorted really loudly. Realising the noise he made, he turned around and continued. 

"Your friends are waiting for you. I'll see you in class." Cheon Ha turned back from the water cooler and to Jisung. "Bye." Cheon Ha smiled again, turning on her heels and walking away from him, past where the water cooler was still spurting out water. Jisung closed his fist and the water stopped, long enough for her to get past, and let go once she was through. 

"That was horrible." Renjun cocked his head to the side. Jisung turned and pressed his lips together.

"Did I-" 

"Yeah you destroyed school property. Let's go." Renjun pulled him in and laughed.

The boys huddled around a long table, pulling out their books and notes to do their work in the relatively empty library. 

"Hyung," Jisung turned to Dong Hyuk and pointed to a question. "How do you-- hyung?" He realised the older boy wasn't paying attenion. His eyes were stuck on one of the college's prettiest girls.

"Really? Go Jin Yi?" Jisung raised a brow. Dong Hyuk turned and glared at him in reaction to his tone. Dong Hyuk pressed a finger onto Jisung's worksheet and burnt a hole.

"Dude!" Jisung shoved Dong Hyuk's finger off and looked through the clean hole and at Jaemin who laughed quietly. 

"You'll get to see her later at Chemistry. Help the kid with his work." Jeno side-eyed Dong Hyuk. But Dong Hyuk couldn't snap out of it. Go Jin Yi had the brightest eyes, she was hardworking though her grades weren't comparable to the top scorers in their cohort, she spent her holidays volunteering and signing up for overseas volunteer retreats at the end of the year.

But Chen Le was sweating in an air conditioned room. Jisung looked up at the older boy wiping his forehead. 

"You okay?" Jisung reached out to Chenle and balled his right hand into a fist, cold, powdered dust of snow seeping out of his hand. 

"Bro," Jeno turned and looked at Dong Hyuk. There was a layer of warm heat around him, the kind where you could see heat waves above the running track on hot days.

"Your thermokinesis. Control it. You let people see you're steaming, we're screwed." Jeno frowned and nudged Dong Hyuk in his side. Jisung placed his left hand on Dong Hyuk's shoulder, slowly and gently freezing the palm of his hand to cool him down. But the snow and ice only began to melt, and a small pool of water seeped into Dong Hyuk's shirt. 

"Yo-" Jisung put a fist to his lips in amusement. "The steam is melting the ice and snow, it's not doing anything to help besides soak his shirt." 

"Dong Hyuk," Renjun leaned forward. "Control. You don't want to walk around looking like a steamed bun. What if Jin Yi sees you?" Renjun raised a brow, noticing some students from a table behind stealing glances at them. 

"Jisung, stop. There are people looking." Renjun whispered. Jisung passed it off by patting Dong Hyuk on the shoulder and pulling his hand off his shoulder, the leftover ice, snow and water being back into his palm. Dong Hyuk took a deep breath, feeling the heat himself. He held it in and closed his eyes, feeling the heat being back in through the pores of his skin. 

"Good. Now we need to get to class."

The grade 12 students' lecture was more than boring. A whole auditorium full of 18 year olds listening to a lecture on Chemistry was enough to send Dong Hyuk into dreamland for half the duration. Jaemin was constantly distracted by Lee Cheon Hak, Cheon Ha's brother, who was playing that new in-trend game everybody was playing next to him. Renjun and Jeno were trying their best to stick with the lecturer's words.

Chen Le was stuck in grade 11 second language class with his own same aged friends who also had trouble staying awake, knowing that it was students from his cohort that had begun the game trend. Chen Le was no exception, just that he had more discipline and way better time management considering all that need to control his powers. He wasn't the best in class, but one of the most likeable ones who was hardworking and asked valuable questions in class.

Jisung on the other hand, was stuck in Grade 10 Chemistry -- which he hated to the core. He never could understand the way electrons and protons worked, or how magnesium reacted with water and the resulting solution was basic. He knew that for a fact because he memorised it, but Jisung's brain worked in a way that he needed to know what happened in between, and not just the resultant product. He twisted his lips to the side, hard in thought. He might hate the subject but he wasn't going to let it drag his report card down. Chemistry was the only subject he had risk of doing badly in, and he wasn't going to let it ruin his final year before college. 

"Hey, do you understand anything?" Do Jin Nam nudged Jisung's side, snapping him out of his thought on how to balance this stupid chemical equation.

"Uh, which one do you need help with?" Jisung twirled his pen, leaning over and checking Jin Nam's answers. 

"3 and 7." The other boy leaned back in his seat and scratched his neck.

"I'm on 7 too. 3..." Jisung turned to his worksheet. "I put B."

"B? But isnt Aluminium Chloride ionic?"

"But it's because of Aluminium's high charge that it has an extremely polarised electron cloud that makes it display covalent character." Jisung pressed the back of the pen to his cheek, clicking it. Jin Nam was lost.

"I'll-- I'll just ask Cheon Ha." Jin Nam took back the sheet and turned around. Jisung turned back to his own worksheet, trying his best to play it off and hoped that Cheon Ha's answer was the same as his. 

"2 of this, and 3 moles of water..." Jisung whispered, finally balancing that messed up equation. Jin Nam turned back and whacked Jisung on the back.

"Smart boy -- unless Cheon Ha's answer is wrong too." Jin Nam ticked option B on question 3.

"She's topped Chemistry last I checked, I doubt she'll get this wrong." Jisung spoke as he moved onto question 8.
 

"Oh dude," Cheon Hak leaned over to Jaemin who was busy copying the working off the screen. "You know about the water cooler outside the principal's office?"

"Mm, what about it?" Jaemin absent mindedly hummed.

"The tap shot right off the machine. Made a hole in the ceiling." 

Jaemin stopped copying and recalled the accident.

"Oh, yeah, heard about it on the way here." 

"Mm, what do you think caused it?"

"It's just a water cooler, Cheon Hak." Jaemin shook it off and continued.

"I'm betting-- it's the earth heating up. You know, geysers. Steam. Pressures the water and forces it up the pipes."

"Actually, water's too high up in the earth's crust to be experiencing the heat from the earth's core. So whatever happened with the water cooler had to be technical." Jaemin stopped and looked at Cheon Hak. Cheon Hak blinked, surprised at Jaemin's explanation.

"Uh, okay. Sure."

 

"The news of the water cooler tap is blowing up." Jaemin announced as Chen Le joined the gang along the halls. 

"Oh, wow. Jisung's on the road to fame."

"Keep quiet!" Renjun slapped the younger on the back. "Say that louder and we are as good as normal human beings."

"That's not such a bad idea." Chen Le retorted. 

Jeno and Dong Hyuk shot him disapproving glances.

"Maybe you'll wake up normal to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter