Solstice

Chronicles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"ACK--"

"...what even?!" Renjun yelled, barging into the room after a solid five minutes of the house's lights flickering non-stop, only for Chenle's scream to sound through the 2 storey building. There was a single ball of water in midair, about the size of a basketball, which cracks of electricity in it.

"Hyung--" Jisung was stunned, the ball of water nearly falling to the ground the moment he was distracted.

"Careful!" Renjun reached out his palm. Jisung instantaneously reacted and faced his palm towards the ball of water and lifted it back up.

"What's wrong, is there anybody hurt?" Jaemin walked into the room from behind Renjun. "Chenle-ya, you know you can't fully control your powers yet and yet you're mixing it with the deadliest element in the house. Something goes wrong, we could all get electrocuted." Jaemin informed without looking angry. Renjun wasn't having any of it on the other hand.

"Pull out that bolt of electricity and put the water back where it belongs. Now." Renjun folded his arms, refusing to leave until the two youngest had done what he had told them to.

Jisung pouted a little, disappointed that his fun was short-lived. Chenle pouted too, but willingly pulled out the bolt of lightning and sent it back straight at the power socket in the room, fixing the house's flickering lights. Jisung then guided the ball of water out the window and back into the frozen pond outside the house.

"Get to sleep. You have training tomorrow." Renjun his heels and walked out of the room past Jaemin. Jaemin watched his friend storm out of the room before turning back to the two younger ones and cheekily pointing his finger at them.

"You know he only means well." Jaemin nodded. "Get some rest, will you two?" He turned and closed the door behind him.

 

There was a small ball of fire suspended about an inch or two above his palm as the cold wind howled outside. He flipped his palm over, but the ball of fire remained in the same spot, above the back of his palm.

"You going for training tomorrow?" Jeno walked into the room with some gym equipment before raising his palm towards the door, the air around it pushing the door close.

"I'm surprised you think we have a choice," Donghyuk clenched his fist, the ball of fire disappearing. Jeno rubbed his palms together and stuffed them into his pocket sweatpants, inhaling a sharp breath. Donghyuk rolled over and pointed at a large candle in the corner of the room, blasting a small trail of fire at it.

"Thanks," Jeno walked towards the candle and cupped his palms around the vicinity of the flame.

"Haven't tried tapping into your thermokinesis?" Jeno raised a brow. Donghyuk shook his head and played with a new ball of fire in his palm.

"Easier to manipulate fire, given that it's in tune to your feelings. Temperature is like... wanting to close a luggage that's filled to the brim that you know you can't close."

"Mm, maybe it'll come soon." Jeno yawned and grabbed some new clothes. He blew out the candle and headed straight for the shower, leaving Donghyuk in the room alone.

"Watch out-" Jisung shouted across the arena. Chenle was on the ground just as a large spiked disk rolled towards him.

"ACK--" Chenle screamed and raised his fist, clenching it in mid air before pulling it down to the grass. The electricity from the arena's lights were out of its bulbs, forming a single bolt that sliced the spinning spiked disk into half and missing Chenle by a bare inch. Meanwhile after Jisung had warned Chenle, a 50 metre tall machine was let out of it's hole, weapons on both its arms. He ran towards the heart of the grass patch of the arena where the pond was, small knives being aimed at him as his feet barely escaped them. Jisung reached the heart of the grass patch, a pond right at his fingertips. Shaping his right fist as if he were holding a pole, a piped shaped line of water was pulled out of the pond. Jisung wriggled his fingers in his left, his fingertips freezing before he touched the piped water line with his left hand and freezing the entire line of water. With a loud grunt, he shoved the frozen pipe of water forward and through the machine. Jisung huffed and knelt down, sitting back on his heels.

"One day, you're going to get us killed," Chenle spoke loud enough for the transmittor on his suit to record.

"He's not wrong." Jaemin folded his arms across his chest and side eyed Renjun.

"I have your interests at heart. Stats show that with more intense practise, you control better." Renjun pressed on the intercom button and spoke into the microphone.

"Donghyuk and Jeno," Renjun turned behind him and looked at the two other boys.

"I'm not gonna die right--" Donghyuck looked to Jeno.

"You did steal Renjun's cookie the other day--" Jeno filled his cheeks with air.

"Oh my God--" Donghyuk rubbed his temples and looked ahead. "Should I get him a replacement cookie after this?"

"What difference would it make?" Jeno laughed. "If he wanted to kill you, you'd be dead by then."

Dong Hyuk winced in pain, closing his eyes and shaking his eyes.

"Countdown beginning-"

"3, 2, 1," The lights of the arena shut off completely, a soft hiss as some door of the arena opened.

Dong Hyuck put his palms together and pulled them apart, a tube of fire illuminating a small area of the arena.

"Jeno," Dong Hyuk's eyes widened in size as he slowly backed in reverse.

"What?" Jeno frowned, looking to where Dong Hyuk was staring at. Jeno's eyes widened immensely and his breath hitched in his throat.

"What the Hell is that?" Dong Hyuk whispered.

They could faintly make out what it was: it was a robotic spider hanging from the ceiling the size of a truck, the shiny metal coating its entire body.

"That's disgusting." Jisung leaned over the panel and looked out the control room, staring at the twitching and slow manouvering robot hanging from the ceiling.

"What level is this?" Chenle leaned over to Renjun and checked the panel. "6? But Dong Hyuk hyung can't even fully control his powers and you're giving him a 6?" Chenle squeaked.

"He'll be fine." Renjun pursed his lips together. A few weeks back, Dong Hyuk had lost control of his ability to control fire and was exhausted for three days. Renjun knew better than to let that happen again, so to fight fire with fire, he upped Jeno and Donghyuk's arenal practise to level 6, 10 being the maximum. Jaemin leaned forward to the control panel, pushing a red lever slightly. Outside, the spider began to move and twitch more frequently.

"Oi!" Dong Hyuk pulled the intercom piece on his suit towards his mouth and hissed. "Dude that thing is disgusting!" Dong Hyuk seethed, loud enough just for the intercom to receive it.

"We have control over it, don't worry." Jaemin replied.

The spider unwrapped itself from the rest of its body and stretched its legs, its mechanical bulbed eyes scanning the vicinity. Whatever the spider saw was displayed on a screen in the control room, and as it looked around the arena, its scanners picked up on Donghyuk and Jeno's heat signatures.

"That's going to be a challenge." Chenle leaned back in the sofa seat in the control room.

"Okay, it sees us. What's step one?" Dong Hyuk began to panic, noticing the mechanical creature began to climb up the pole that was meant to be its web, crawling on the ceiling towards them.

"Weakness?" Jeno squeaked. Dong Hyuk snapped his fingers to produce a small ball of fire. The spider immediately reacted and screamed, its high pitched frequency nearly destroying their eardrums.

"Okay! We got it!" Dong Hyuk clenched his fist, ridding the fire ball. He his heels and began running, the spider sprinting along the walls and towards Dong Hyuk.

"Dong Hyuk! Stop running! It'll only up your body temperature and it'll make the heat signatures become more obvious!" Jeno shouted.

"Oh yeah? I'll do that when it stops chasing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter