epilogue

Ten Past Six | Johnten NCT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I can’t believe we’re finally having the hotpot party,” Jisung said, happily. “Think of all the good food, all the games—it’s going to be amazing.”

“I know right? I have waited the whole year for it. Kun-ge, what are you cooking for the party tonight?” Chenle called out to the guy who was working quietly in the kitchen.

“Please let it be those pizza filling buns you learnt how to make from YouTube,” Renjun said.

There was a crash from the kitchen and the dreamies rushed inside, wondering what had happened.

Kun didn’t even look up from the sink where he had emptied all the contents of the frying pan. There was a faint smell of burning.

Jaemin asked, “Hyung, is everything okay?”

Jeno and Lucas passed a look. Kun had never burnt any food. He took extreme care with everything.

Kun took out a clean pan and wordlessly began preparing the dish again. The stove wouldn’t light up and he cried out in frustration. “Why won’t anything work!?”

“Kun-ge.” Chenle reached for Kun’s sleeve, sensing that the older guy was going through something. “Let it be.”

Kun looked at them all, as if suddenly realizing they were there. “I’m sorry. I just can’t seem to get the dish right. You all go finish your breakfast, I’ll fix it.” He gave them a watery smile. “Please,” he said, his tone polite but clearly dismissive.

Lucas spoke up as soon as they were out of earshot. “Something is wrong.”

“Is he nervous for today’s Gayo?” Jeno said. “He’s never been nervous before.”

“Maybe it’s the upcoming debut?” Jaemin mused. “We should ask Ten hyung to talk to him.”

Lucas said, “But Ten hyung already left for some last minute practice. He was kind of nervous too, I guess.”

Renjun stood up. “As the acting adult, I will go and talk to him.”

They stared after him as he made his way to the kitchen with determination. He returned within seconds. “Okay, I’m scared. It’s something serious. He’s crying. What do I do? I feel like we might end up making it worse. But we have to do something, he’s hurt.”

Jeno took a deep breath. “I guess it’s time to call my dad.” He dialled a number on his phone. “Hello, Doyoungie hyung?”

Doyoung turned up within twenty minutes, in a practice outfit with hair windswept, looking worried. “Hi, kids. Where is he?”

He was met with a crew of worried faces and his expression softened. “It’s okay. He’s probably just stressed for the debut. You all shouldn’t worry so much. How about you all go and get some sushi? My treat.” He gave Jeno his wallet.

When they left, he made his way over to the kitchen where Kun was struggling over the pan for the third time, sniffling over it.

“Hey, Kun.”

Kun looked at him with slightly red eyes before turning over to the stove, banging the ladle against the pan with vehemence.

“Want to talk about it?” Doyoung asked, leaning against the door frame.

Kun continued to struggle over the stove. “Everything is wrong. I can do nothing right and I hate everything. Okay? Now go.”

“Let it be, Kun. Let’s get out of this stuffy kitchen. C’mon.”

When Kun did not budge, Doyoung walked to him and put an arm round his waist, pulling him away from the stove, using his other hand to take away the ladle from Kun’s hands. For a second, it seemed like Kun would struggle but he tensed against Doyoung only to give up and slump forward, sobbing.

Doyoung placed the ladle in the sink and held Kun in the back-hug, letting him cry. “It’s okay, it’s okay,” he whispered, comfortingly. “I’m here. It’s okay.”

Later on, when Kun had calmed down a bit and was sitting on the couch, sipping the tea Doyoung had made for him, he looked at him. “I’m sorry for you being dragged here.”

Doyoung shushed him. “If I wasn’t called, I would have been upset. The resident agony aunt is at your service.”

Kun pushed him. “Hey, I already apologized for calling you an agony aunt. Plus, it was just one time.” He set the cup down. “I suppose I owe you an explanation.”

“Don’t feel pressured. Besides, I kind of understood what you were crying about.”

“Well, yeah. Jun-Ki and I…we broke up. It was ugly and I messed up too. I knew it would happen one day but I always thought it would end on a friendly note, you know?”

Doyoung nodded, sadly. “I’m sorry, Kun. Should—should I get you some chocolate ice-cream?”

Kun laughed. “What k-drama have you been watching?”

Doyoung reddened. “I’m sorry. I thought that’s what best friends provide when someone is crying over heartbreak. Or is this more of a ‘let’s get revenge’ kind of heartbreak? I’m not very experienced so you have to give me a few hints. Don’t laugh!”

Kun studied his hands. “You remember how I said I would ask him to tell the media that the whole dating news was just a rumour, right? We got into a huge argument because of it because he just didn’t seem to understand my situation. I’m a private person. I don’t like being in the limelight and this was just when things were starting to look up for my career. I just asked for a little bit of understanding.”

Doyoung remembered the last time they had talked about it. It was when Kun had told everyone about Jun-Ki at the 127 dorm and Doyoung had lied for him to the management.

Kun dragged Doyoung to the latter’s room. “Are you crazy? Why did you do it? This could have affected your career!”

“You’re happy with him and you no doubt kept it a secret because you value your privacy. Congratulations, by the way,” Doyoung said, smiling at him. “He’s really lucky that you love him.”

Kun laughed nervously. “It’s really not as serious as that, Doyoungie.”

Doyoung stopped. “What!? It better be as serious as that because I nearly died for you in that interrogation I underwent today.”

“I’m sorry you had to go through that. We’re still figuring things. We met at a cooking class. We were both lonely and he was dorky and cute. He knew Chinese and we became friends so quickly. We were both aware that dating was the obvious next step and so it happened.”

“So? That means its serious enough,” Doyoung said.

“We haven’t ever said that we love each other and to be honest, we’re both relieved for that.”

Doyoung tried to hide his frown. After all, who was he, forever single Kim Dongyoung, to judge other people’s relationships? “Well, I’m happy if you’re happy.”

“You’re a good friend.”

“The best.”

“—was right. I do mess up everything. I knew this already that I’m difficult to love but it hurt to be told from the person one is dating. I hate this so much. Why am I so affected? It’s not even as if I ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter