dreamies are my babies

Ten Past Six | Johnten NCT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ten looked at the clock for what seemed like the hundredth time in the last five minutes.

“You can just call him?” Kun said, looking up from his Uno cards.

Ten gave him a glare and placed a plus four on the pile. “Call who? I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Ouch, no need to take out your frustration on me and I’ll get you back for this plus four.”

“Yeah, right. I have,” Ten pretended to squint at his cards, “like three more of these so keep threatening.”

Two minutes and some bickering later, Ten had spaced out yet again, eyes fixed on the clock.

Kun threw down his cards with a sigh. "Seriously, Ten, just call him."

"I can't call him until it's at least twenty minutes past the recording. Otherwise, it will seem like I was waiting for him to get free."

"But you are. You were waiting so just do it," Kun said, calmly.

Ten glowered at him. "You just wait, Qian Kun. Just wait until the day you have someone you like as desperately as I do and then I'll see if you're so calm. Ugh, you have no idea how it feels."

Kun scrunched up his nose. "Anyway, it's twenty minutes now. You can call him without sounding like you were waiting. Which you were but that's, of course, not the point, yeah?"

"Haha, don't be sarcastic with me. I'm the only sane one in this dorm. You're lucky you have me."

"You're as much a baby as the dreamies." Kun smiled before leaving the room.

Ten watched him leave and then picked up his phone. He dialled Johnny's number and thought about how far Johnny was. All the way over in LA. Their recording for Jimmy Kimmel Live would have finished by now. Johnny and the others would have changed out of their stage clothes. Maybe they were already in the van, traveling to their next schedule. He hoped Johnny would pick up.

"Hello?"

Of course, he would. He always did.

"Hey, Johnny!"

"Tennnn! Guys, it's Ten. Say hi, everyone!"

There was a chorus of loud excited hellos and shouts and he smiled, already feeling at ease. Johnny must have moved away soon after because it quietened down.

"How are you, Ten? Missing me?"

Always. "No, you dork, I have the spawns of Satan to keep me entertained."

"Hey, the dreamies are my babies!"

"That's what I said." Ten laughed.

"Ehh, so mean."

"How was your day? You were recording for that show, right? What was it...was it Jimmy Kimmel or Jimmy Fallon?" Ten was happy Johnny couldn’t see him blushing at this obvious lie. He couldn’t show he was too interested.

Johnny laughed. "Jimmy Kimmel. It was real fun. LA is fun, overall. I miss my favourite photography buddy though."

"Take lots of photos for me," Ten said.

"I will. How was practice?"

"Gruelling but I think we're done with the tough parts. You're going to love the dance break."

"You got to show me as soon as I come back. Take care of your knee though. And eat well."

Ten rolled his eyes. "My knee is totally fine, John."

"Still, you should take care."

Ten could hear someone calling Johnny in the background. He said, "You have to go."

Johnny heaved a sigh. "Yeah, there's another performance. It's okay, we can still talk. Go ahead. How was your day?"

Ten could hear manager-nim saying something. He nodded to himself. "It's fine. You take care of yourself. Remember to drink lots of water. See you soon. Bye bye."

"I'm missing you, Ten, like always."

"Johnny, go. You'll get late."

"Okay, okay. Bye, Ten. See you soon. Bye."

Ten stared at his phone after they'd cut the call and realised that he was feeling even worse than before. Johnny felt so so far away. Something very much like loneliness gripped him and he laid back on his bed, staring at his phone, grimly looking through his messages. There was one from Johnny but he had already seen it in the morning.

[6:10 am]

Johns: Good morning, have a lovely day, Ten!

He looked at his reply. What time is it there? Your brain still on Korean time? XD

[6:12 am]

Johns: haha, jetlag?

Ten hadn't replied after that. He had fallen asleep. It was too early in the morning to be awake enough to know what to text. In fact, all of Johnny's early morning messages were too early to reply to.

He typed a reply now. I miss you too.

Johnny's reply came within seconds. Hey, I'll be back soon. We can try out the restaurant Jaehyun recommended.

You'll be too busy. He shook his head. He couldn't send that. He erased the words and typed again, I'd like that, yeah. Good luck for the performa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter