Line '94

Up and Down

Each day for seven was the same.

Suzy lay in the bed beside Soojung, and each morning a doctor would arrive at their beds to check up on their blood pressure. Suzy had an operation to reconstruct her cheek that that been shot at. She could never smile again.

The doctors had tried their best to rescue the baby. But with the lower-class hospitals being underfunded and the bullet piercing Soojung's womb, it had proved fatel to the unborn child.

Soojung tried hard to hold onto something, but her muscles ached and her babyless stomach bump was just a harsh reminder of what had been snatched from her. The headaches that assaulted her temples left her in a paralysed-like state in her bed, the light in the room only causing her to seek refuge underneath the hospital bed sheets. 

Suzy tried to speak to Soojung. She learned that the shooter was dead, he had been a far-right political extremist, they were the only survivors of the attack; everyone else, including Dara had not made it out.

Soojung cried when she heard of the news of Dara's death, she had been the sole person who had given Soojung a roof to live under and a sense of hope that perhaps things would get better.

But they hadn't, they were only getting worse.

"Do you have anywhere to go, after we get discharged?" asked Suzy.

Soojung wanted to speak, truly she did. But truthfully, she had nowhere to go. She couldn't go home, Jiyong was on the run, and Seunghyun- no, don't think about him.

When she'd learned about Seunghyun's part in her father's death, or his marriage, or Jiyong's prison escape, she had felt as though she was falling down a narrow tunnel. But after the shooting, and the loss it had brought with it, she felt as though she had hit rock bottom, into a dark, souless pit.

She did not see any reasons to even attempt to climb out.

*****

"How do you know Youngbae?" Jiyong questioned, pushing his empty dinner plate away from him. Taeyeon's cooking was delicious and it had filled him with an energy that he had not felt in months.

"He helped me during tough times when my husband left," replied Taeyeon.

"Where is your husband now?" Jiyong was surpirsed that Taeyeon had ever been married.

"The upper class killed him," Taeyeon paused before contuniuing, "capital punishment."

"I'm sorry."

"Its been almost five years, truthfully I was very young when I married him," Taeyeon chuckled sadly, "what about you, you must have a girl who's waiting for you."

"Before I went to prison, it was just me and my sister Soojung for a long time. I have no idea how she'd doing right now," Jiyong confessed.

Taeyeon placed her hand on top of the table where Jiyong's hand rested, looking at him with eyes that seemed to tell a hundred stories, "Being a part of the LFA will give your sister and any other woman like her the freedom that has been taken from them. Things will change G-Dragon, I promise."

*****

Yoona awoke from Seunghyun's bed like a foreigner in a strange land. She released herself from his arms and immediately stood under a burning shower, as if she could melt away her pain with the flow of the running water.

Her skin was pink when she stepped out of the shower as she dressed into her underwear and clothing in the bathroom before once again entering Seunghyun's bedroom.

He was already awake and was wearing only trousers, a class of wisky pressed desperately to his lips.

"You bled last night," Seunghyun said, unable to look at Yoona.

"I'm sorry," said Yoona- she was unsure why she was the one apologising.

"No, I'm the one who should be sorry," replied Seunghyun, "you don't deserve any of this, I'm not a good man Yoona but I'm going to try my best to be a good husband to you."

"Who is Soojung," Yoona remembered how he'd so loveingly said the stranger's name, the passion and desire in his tone so apparent that Yoona almost didn't recognise the voice.

"Are you in pain?"

"Of course I am. No woman wants to lose their ity to a man who says another woman's name in bed."

"It won't happen again."

"What did she do to you?"

"Its more about what I did to her?"

"Is she dead?"

"I'm dead to her."

*****

Several seasons passed.

The landscape that had once been painted with mesmirising hues of blue and green were disguised behind shades of brown and orange. The trees that once been luden with lush leaves were bare and vulnerable.

Things had changed in the lives of Suzy and Soojung. The two girls had become closer to one another, the shared trauma of the tragic shooting binding them closer together. They found jobs as maids in the household of Kim Jaejoong, a wealthy first-class politition who was running in the Presdiential election opposite Seunghyun's father: Choi Sungha.

He was a kind man, who reasonably paid his employees and ensured they were well cared for. He was the foil of his political rival. Whilst Sungha believed in the complete control of lower-class with his far right beliefs, Jaejoong believed in a more socialist and egalitarian approach.

Soojung prayed every night that Jaejoong would become President.

She prayed for her brother, for his long health, and that the police never find Jiyong wherever he was staying.

She also prayed for her dead child. The bump had flattened over the months, so much so that it was pretty much non-existant even beneath Soojung's uniform. During the day, whilst she worked she seemed to forget the cruelty of their seperation, but when night would fall the sorrow and pain that she'd neglected during the day would fall upon her all at once. With the photo of the scan clenched tightly in her hand, the hole in Soojung's heart felt bigger, with each night it becoming more raw and torturous.

She even prayed for Seunghyun, for his happiness and his long life. But praying for Seunghyun was like bringing her past to the forefront of her present, with both parts sewn together by Soojung's regret and shame for ever falling for him, or for still being in love with him despite how much time had passed between them and what he'd done.

Soojung and Suzy were busy cleaning the ball room, the echoes of their conversation and laughter spiralling across the cylinder room. When it came to cleaning the stage, Soojung fingers brushed along the keys of the grand piano, a mournful song coming to her head.

"Can you play," asked Suzy.

"I learned in school, but I haven't played in so many years. I used to dream of playing in massive stages and rooms like this, but I couldn't afford to continue playing," replied Soojung grimly.

"Why don't you try to play," suggested Suzy.

"What if someone hears," worried Soojung.

"You're playing the piano, not orchestrating a death march," stated Suzy.

Soojung the keys again, hesitating to press it. It wasn't just the fear of being heard that made her hesititate; but the sound itself. It would remind her of the past, the easier times when she wasn't alone and she still had a family.

"Look, if you play the piano I'll sing," offered Suzy.

"You can sing?"

"I'm not bad, would you like me to sing something happy or sad?"

Soojung mused for a moment, "Sad."

Suzy raised her eyebrow, "I warn you though, I'll break your heart."

"It's already broken," Soojung sat at the piano and began to play a mournful tune.

Suzy sang:

I’ve come a long way to see you
I knew it was a difficult path but I just walked anyway
I fly for you, I couldn’t see my heart even when I closed my eyes
But now you’ve come to me

Because I love you boy
Come by my side
Because I need you boy
I miss you even in my dreams
Remember I love you boy
Even if I can’t ever see you again
Because I love you boy
Because I love you boy
I love you, I love you

Memories with you fly in the wind
It falls on my tired heart, making me smile
My feelings that I couldn’t tell you
Used to be lost in the fog, but now I’m going to you

Because I love you boy
Come by my side
Because I need you boy
I miss you even in my dreams

You moved my cold heart
You made my heart cry
That person is you
I tried to forget, I tried to erase
But my love is you
(I fly for you)

Because I love you boy
Come by my side
Because I need you boy
I miss you even in my dreams
Remember I love you boy
Even if I can’t ever see you again
Because I love you boy
Because I love you boy
I love you, I love you

(Suzy- I Love You OST)

Even after she had finished singing, Suzy continued to hum along as Soojung played the piano- it was as though Soojung had never stopped.

However, a voice caused Soojung to sharply end playing, the sound of her mistake on the piano ringing throughout the ballroom. Both girls' heads whipped towards the sound of the third voice in the room.

"Will you two follow me," Jaejoong said, already walking away expecting Soojung and Suzy to follow behind him.

As the two girls followed behind Jaejoong, Suzy lightly touched her hand next to Soojung, throwing an apologetic expression towards her.

Jaejoong led the two girls into his office, a large room with a intimidating looking desk in front of french window doors that spread across the whole length of the wall, "Take a seat, I'll be back in a moment."

"Soojung, I'm sorry, we shouldn't have played the piano," apologised Suzy rapidly.

But Soojung own clammy hands and sinking stomach meant she couldn't reassure Suzy or herself. Instead the two girls clasped onto each others hand tightly, wondering what would happen to them.

Jaejoong arrived back in his office after twenty anxious minutes, accompanied by two boys who looked about the same age as Soojung and Suzy. Both were tall and had the lower-class tattoos underneath their ear. Soojung had seen them working in the gardens, their clothes even had some earth on it and their hair was messy from continuously moving it away from their eyes. One was tanner than the other, and both were handsome. The most Soojung had ever interacted with them was with a polite nod whenever she'd see them whilst working.

The two boys looked as confused as Soojung and Suzy. All four looked towards Jaejoong for an explanation.

"Soojung," began Jaejoong, "where did you learn to play the piano like that?"

"I apologise sir," said Soojung, "I promise I'll never touch anything I'm not suppossed to again."

"Actually sir, it's all my fault. I pressured her into playing," added Suzy, "we'll never do it again. Please forgive us."

Both girls fell into a ninety degree bow.

Jaejoong laughed, "You're not in trouble. Not at all. Now Jongin," he looked towards the tanned boy, "you play the drums don't you?"

"Yes sir," replied Jongin politely.

"And Seungyoon, you play the guitar," the paler boy nodded.

"Yes sir."

Jaejoong sat at his desk, "Truthfully, I'm planning a ball in honor of Choi Sungha before the Presidential election. It'll be a big event in which I want you four to form a band and be the entertainment. With the talents you four possess, I know you won't disappoint me."

"Will the event be televised?" Soojung questioned.

"It may very well be," replied Jaejoong.

Soojung thought for a moment. If Choi Sungha attended, there would be no doubt that Seunghyun would also attend along with his new wife. It felt too early for that kind of heartache.

Furthermore, if the event was televised, there was no doubt in her mind that Jaejoong's use of a lower-class band was for his own political gain and to further his campaign. She wanted to live easily, live life with no more worry or tragedy; to be a postergirl for one of the most feirce and controversial presidential races in decades would expose her.

."Why not just ask an upper-class band to be your enteratainment sir," Soojung said.

"I see potential in you four, and I hate seeing wasted potential."

"I apologise sir," Soojung arose from her seat and bowed, "but I cannot be in this band. I think it would be better if you found someone else.