to build a home.

Fall - For You.

 

to build a home.

 


 

Seungwan walked across the stale wooden floors of the old stone home. She ran her fingers over the mantle, grey speckles of dust collecting upon her fingers. The house was empty, but it was still their home.

 

 

She graced the hallways, recalling the memories they made.

 

 

Walking into the kitchen, she pictured the dining table, perfectly set by Joohyun every morning for breakfast and every evening for dinner.

 

 

She gripped the sides of the island set in the middle of the kitchen, remembering the lunches and meals that were prepared on the overused counter.

 

 

Making her way to the window by the sink, she observed the freshly laid soil where the garden used to be.

 

 

Seungwan made her way to their bedroom upstairs. Her hands still gathering dust as they trailed along the old railings. The walls containing stains and punctures where their pictures used to hang.

 

 

 

 

She made her way into the bedroom, standing where their bed used to be, then over to the window that overlooked the street.

 

 

The same window that Joohyun sat by, waiting for Seungwan to come home.

 

 

Next to it would have been the chair that Joohyun sat in as she read her favourite books.

 

 

Seungwan stared at the empty space the vanity occupied, just across from the bed, picturing Joohyun getting ready for memorable nights out.

 

 

The said girl appeared at the door frame, leaning against it, before making her way downstairs.

 

 

 

 

 

Seungwan stared at the front door as she descended the staircase.

 

 

 

 

 

She opened the door as Joohyun followed behind,

 

“Got everything?”

 

Seungwan looked back inside towards the comfort of their home before intertwining their hands.

 

“I do now.”

 

 

 

 

 

Her eyes watered, how could she have had everything for a moment, then lost everything in a split second.

 

 

 

 

 

Wiping the tears away under her already swollen eyes, she made her way to her car, passing by the 'For Sale' sign.

 

Entering her car, she looked back at the home for the last time before she pulled out her phone.

 

She took a deep breath before the call was finally answered,

 

 

 

“Hi mom, it’s up. It’s finally up for sale.”

 

“That’s good.. I- I’m sorry Seungwan.. I know it was hard. I know you’ve lost– “

 

“Mom, please,” her hand gripping the steering wheel as tears threatened to fall once again.

 

“..Okay, okay sweetie. Just come home.”

 

 

 

But she was at home, this was her home. This was their home.

 

 

 

She looked over to the small zip-lock bag of Joohyun’s belongings that the hospital gave her, the sunlight bouncing off the wedding ring.

 

 

 

She glanced up at the home again before releasing a broken cry.

 

 


 

It's been a while, and I'm sorry! School just ended and it's been a pretty hectic semester. Here's a rushed short drabble (pardon any mistakes) to get things going again, but again, please don't hate me lol. This was actually inspired by the song, to build a home, as well as a netflix show that I won't name to avoid spoiling anything..

Anyway, next update will be something good, I PROMISE.

Thanks for reading, I'll always appreciate you guys.

-a.r