C 015

The Point of No Return
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunday morning dawned bright and warm. But it was not the blinding sunlight falling on her face through the open window that woke Hana up, rather it was the sound of people moving about and talking in loud voices on the floor below. Yawing and stretching, Hana slipped off her bed and walked towards the stairs and looked down. A small oh of surprise went tumbling out of as she beheld Baekhyun, Sehun, Chanyeol, Jongin and Kyungsoo, gathered around the dining table. One look at the giant clock hanging on the wall beside her was enough for her to know that this meeting was about something serious. The boys never turned up this early for breakfast.

 

“That old loony is up to something I tell you.” Jongin said loudly. “No offence Sehun, but your step mother is one crazy b****”. Baekhyun had enough decency to give Jongin a reprimanding stare over Chanyeol’s shoulder.

“None taken” Sehun replied in his husky morning voice.

Hana approached the table, noticing how all of them seemed to hunch over something gleaming white on the table top.

“It’s Sunday morning for god’s sake.” Hana said, struggling to speak over another big yawn tumbling out of . “Don’t you guys know better than to keep the racket down?”

“It’s Jongin.” Everyone said in unision, making Jongin look ready to kill.

“I think I heard every one of you from my room.” Hana mock glared, but ruined the effect by winking at Jongin making him blush. “What is that you have over there?” She asked, jerking her chin in the general direction of whatever the boys were poring over.

“ah….it’s nothing.” Chanyeol said dismissively and tried to hide whatever the thing was with his broad frame.

“I think Hana deserves to know since she is also involved.” Kyungsoo said in a soothing voice.

Sehun rolled his eyes and beckoned Hana over. As Hana neared the table, she finally realized what the enigmatic white thing was. It was a small rectangular invitation card. Baekhyun passed it to her and she felt the smooth glossy paper weighing her palms down. Curly letters embossed in gold adorned it’s glossy surface.

“Your parents are inviting us to their shareholder’s party?” Hana asked unable to believe what she had just read.

Sehun gave a grim nod in reply. A low shaky breath went out of Hana. Based on what she has heard about Sehun’s family, she thought they seldom cared for their youngest son. But this invitation was a proof that it was not the case.

“Don’t fall for it Hana.” Baekhyun said. “I don’t think they are doing this for a family get together or something.”

“What’s fishy is the fact that they seem to know a lot about you. Enough to send only one letter addressed to both you and Sehun.” Jongin said. “As though they already know that you guys are staying together.”

Hana took another look at the card and saw her name indeed printed in full alongside Sehun’s. She placed the card back on the table and turned to face Sehun, who had been keenly observing her every movement.

“I’m honoured , Sehun.” She said breathlessly. “Of course I accept the invitation.”

A stunned silence greeted her declaration.

 

“Are you sure Hana?” Baekhyun asked. Both he and Hana were doing dishes inside the kitchen, while the others lounged lazily in the living room.

“About what?” Hana asked mindlessly as she arranged all the clean dishes on a towel so that they would get dried.

“About you coming with us to the party.”

“I don’t think I should insult them by turning down the invite.” Hana countered.

“Something about this doesn’t seem right.” Baekhyun mumbled. “Think about it, it’s a shareholders meeting for god’s sake. What better place to put Sehun down so thoroughly that he doesn’t even stand a chance against Junmyeon when the time comes for them to finally decide who will inherit the company?“

“Or it could even be an innocent invite. It could be a father’s feeble attempt to know whether his son is doing fine or not. To see him in person.”

“How do you manage to be so optimistic all the time?” Baekhyun asked, his face creasing in worry.

“Do I have any other choice?” Hana gave a sad smile. “ This is the only way I can get to know about the family that shunned Sehun away. This is the only way I can confront them and ask why they would do something so cruel.” Her voice broke lightly over the last word. “This is the only way I can find out whether there is anything left in Sehun’s father to be saved.”

Baekhyun’s faced morphed into something that glowed with determination. “I promise that no harm will come to you when we are there.”

“Thanks Baekhyun.” Hana sighed as Baekhyun’s warm hand wrapped around hers and the kitchen glowed a shade brighter than a moment before.

 

 

Hana took one last look at herself on the small mirror on her vanity table and smoothed down the front of her flowing midnight blue dress. It was a curtesy of Jongin, who had brought one of his sister’s dresses over since they didn’t have time for dress hunting. The dress sat a bit loose on her frame but it felt comfortable nevertheless. Letting out a shaky breath, Hana slipped her feet into a pair of midnight blue strappy heels. She had owned this one for a long time and was happy that she could finally put it to some kind of use. She never preferred anything dangerous as heeled footwear on a normal day unless she wanted herself to break her neck in the most spectacular way and find herself strapped to a gurney.

As she climbed down the stairs, she saw Sehun’s broad and tall frame in the middle of the living room floor. Hearing her approach, Sehun turned around and gave her a smile. She felt her breath getting stuck at as she saw how Sehun’s eyes roamed over her dress. Sehun looked…..Hana realized that she had no way to describe how Sehun looked. The only word that came somewhat close to describing him satisfactorily was godly.

“You look beautiful.” Sehun murmured as Hana shyly walked toward where Sehun stood, clad in a tailored blazer. It was not buttoned down, revealing a navy blue beneath, paired off with jeans. His black hair was neatly swept back from his forehead into a classy side sweep. Hana had a sudden urge to run her fingers through those silky stands and make a mess out of them.

“We match.” Sehun chuckled and Hana could only stare as her heart thundered on and on. The smile that adorned Sehun’s face vanished as he slowly took in the discomfort in Hana’s eyes.

“Don’t worry Hana, everything is going to be just fine.” He patted her shoulder. Hana just nodded and didn’t bother to tell him that her source of discomfort was that this godly creature was humble enough to complement her, when they both knew deep inside that she was in no way a match to Sehun, not even in a her wildest dreams.

 

“Don’t you look too casual for the occasion?” Baekhyun looked at Sehun from the driver’s seat of Sehun’s Maserati through the rear view mirror. He himself looked dashing in a tailored tux. In fact every single one of them was wearing formal attire, except Sehun.

“Who cares?” Sehun murmured from the back.

“You look beautiful Hana.” Baekhyun complimented with a smile as he turned his attention tow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter