Moment of Truth

The Universe of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ever since the day where the letter from the court appeared on the office table, I've been really busy with fighting over Eunbi's custody. Digging out all the 'evidence' which could be advantageous on the court; from a list of information about Eunbi, her school, her teachers, everything about her, to the certs of donating to charity under Eunbi's name. I do have confidence that I will win this easily but at the same time, I don't want to take the risk. 

 

It's been a month since everything happened and today is the custody hearing, I admit I was nervous and I was kinda afraid but I'm very sure I'd win this. I'm definitely not going to hand over Eunbi to anyone. 

 

Tiffany, she was seated right opposite me with her lawyer beside her. There were not many people in the room, it was a small courtroom, an intimate setting. I looked over, Eunbi was sitting along with Seungri, Eunbi's homeroom teacher and the nanny by her side. I was expecting to see Yoona, but she was nowhere in sight.

 

I was told to bring the important people who can justify my point to the hearing and just by seeing the three of them here, I was sure I've already won half of the battle. 

 

"From what I have known, Mr. Kwon Jiyong and Ms. Hwang Miyoung, both of you are going for sole custody for Eunbi Kwon." The hearing started and the judge began to read out the details, "Eunbi Kwon will turn age 6 on 8 of August 2020, since birth, she has been staying with her Dad, Mr. Kwon Jiyong."

 

"Ms. Hwang," the judge looked over at his document and gave a little frown, "May I ask, what is your current occupation?"

 

Since both of us have a lawyer with us, there's no need for us to speak up unless needed. Tiffany's lawyer spoke up, "Currently as of date 11 January 2020, Ms. Hwang is the CEO of PLEDY, a fashion company. Ms. Hwang is the founder of PLEDY and has been the CEO since 5th June 2016."

 

"And Mr. Kwon?"

 

It went on and on, checking the details about our financial background, of course, Tiffany will not lose out in this and to be very honest, our financial background are on par. We are capable of giving the best to Eunbi in terms of finances. He asked about both of our day to day schedule, as well as our ability and resources to care for the child. Now comes the determining segment. 

 

"From Mr. Kwon side, I'd like to hear more from Eunbi Kwon's homeroom teacher." The judge looked over, "Ms. Choi, you have been Eunbi's homeroom teacher for almost 4 years, just a few questions, who usually come over to pick up Eunbi from school?" 

 

"Most of the time, it would be Auntie Kim who comes over to pick Eunbi up from school, but from time to time, Mr Kwon will drop by to pick up Eunbi as well." Ms. Choi replied, "However, Mr. Kwon has always been the one who sends Eunbi to school, even though he does not come over to pick Eunbi up from school. There wasn't any communications issue between the school and Mr. Kwon, in fact, he has always been interested about Eunbi's life in school." 

 

"What about the participation of Mr. Kwon in the school's welfare?"

 

"Mr. Kwon has not missed any parent-teacher meetings which are held every semester. School events are the only events that Mr. Kwon has difficulty attending, which I am sure it is due to work. However, Mr. Lee beside me, he will always come on behalf of Mr. Kwon." She paused. "Mr. Kwon is also one of our school's donors." 

 

I laughed inwardly after hearing what Ms. Choi has stated. I have to agree, Seungri did play a big part in Eunbi's childhood. It would be a tough time if not for him. Like what Seungri always says, I'm not paying him enough for whatever he is doing. But it seems like I do need to make some changes.

 

"Just one last question for Ms. Choi, have you ever seen Ms. Hwang in school?"

 

I was expecting a straight no from Ms. Choi but it seems like there is a twist from it. 

 

"Regarding events or sessions, I never once saw Ms. Hwang in school. However, there was a handful of times when I was waiting for Mr. Kwon to pick Eunbi up, I did see her near the school gates, but we did not have any interactions or conversation." 

 

"Thank you, Ms. Choi." The judge took down a few notes before flipping to the next page, "Next, Mrs. Kim, Eunbi Kwon's caretaker." 

 

It went on for a good 10 minutes after they were done with Mrs. Kim's part, we went for a short break before continuing. It was only then, I saw Yoona sitting at where Seungri was originally seated. She was pinching Eunbi's cheek, causing her to giggle. I let out a smile, thinking I will not see her here today.

 

"We shall proceed, moving on to Ms. Hwang, there are not much information I can ask from your side, do you have anything to back yourself up?'

 

"Yes, your honor," Her lawyer spoke up, "Following recent news, Mr. Kwon, the CEO of Universe seems to have an intimate relationship with Im Yoona, the renowned model. Regarding this, it might affect Mr. Kwon's interest in the child and definitely have no choice but to the divide the attention to Ms. Im as well."

 

"Objection," Our lawyer stood up. " Both of them are well-known people and there is no official statement on their current status. We hope that you will not make such accusation about the both of them." 

 

I knew this would happen and had told our lawyer beforehand. 

 

"If that is the case, how will you explain all these pictures? It was clearly seen in the picture that Ms. Im had stayed over for the night. If that is not an intimate relationship, could you please explain."

 

"Ms. Im is a friend of Mr. Kwon and they have known each other since high school. Even Mr. Lee knows her as well and if I am not mistaken, Ms. Hwang has also studied in the same high school as all of them." He ended his stand, "Your Honor, I'd politely appeal that the stand that Lawyer Jung has made to be non-effective, Ms. Im has been maintaining a healthy relationship with Eunbi Kwon, there is no other external issue."

 

"We can always direct a question to Eunbi Kwon."

 

"Objection. Eunbi Kwon has not turned 21 of age, it will be hard for her to address any issues."

 

"Accepted."

 

Silence then lingered in the room for a short while before the judge spoke up.

 

The judge let out a smile as he looked towards Eunbi's direction, "Eunbi Kwon, could you please tell me if you like your mom or your dad better?"

 

Eunbi looked a little nervous, Yoona was beside her all along, giving her a small squeeze on the palm to encourage her, telling her it will be fine. 

 

"I like daddy, I want to stay with daddy too." She looked over to my direction after answering the question. I gave her an encouraging smile before looking over at Tiffany, I could tell, she was anxious.

 

"One last question to both Mr. Kwon and Mr, Hwang

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter