i. the opening to closure

Mated Love

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us. - Alexander Graham Bell

Chapter 1

A world corrupted by the essence of Hellfire and Purity- a rather unusual life for humans. They’d been exposed to those that lurked in the shadows, craving the darkness or light that lay untethered. No human knew who or what they were for a while, only of the disturbance they caused.

Werewolves were captured- tortured, with wolfsbane and silver. Vampires in penance, hunted with stakes and Holy water. Witches and fae were lured with the help of grimoires and crystals. Merfolk harpooned for their beautiful tails. There was no escape for man, woman nor child.

Eventually one took a step in the right path, they truly understood the mythics.

That’s what they were called.

It started from the word shadows, because there was always something lurking in the shadows. When light came, it was monster, to creature, to a macabre of names that could never be mentioned. Eventually it came to mythical beings- due to its long name, it shortened to mythics.

It acknowledged all as a mythical being- those that were born as the myths they were. But came civilisation, the crude government halted their maniacal experiments - or so they say. They learnt that vampires had royalty and clans. Werewolves had packs. Witches had covens. Fae had colonies. Merfolk had their own royalty along with their classes. All different on their own- yet working together with humans to satisfy the universal morals, values and ethics.

Let’s focus on werewolves though, more importantly, a young female werewolf named y/n. She was a submissive, a rank that outcast her from her pack in Valenteux.

Ranks were the small hierarchy that werewolves had within their own packs. It started with the top dog; the Alpha. They were the strongest and bravest, and cared for their pack like family. Next were the Betas, the Alpha’s most trusted. They look over the pack and report to the Alpha, the second in command. After were the Gammas, basic regular werewolves. Last were the Omega, slightly smaller in size and a little weaker than Gammas but could move swiftly.

Werewolves would normally learn of their rank from the age 8-14, just like y/n. In those years, she was ready to make her dad proud. Her mother wasn’t around sadly. She’d passed away in a phenomenon called postpartum bleeding while giving birth to y/n. Excessive blood loss caused her blood pressure to drop, something her werewolf healing couldn’t handle due to her already weakened state.

Losing his mate in such a tragedy, he’d promised himself that he would take care of y/n properly. When one door closes, another opens. That’s how he treated his devastating situation. That is, until y/n found out her rank…

y/n’s pov

The sun woke, blinding me through the slits of my charcoal coloured curtains.  The soft fleece of my plain white bed sheets tickled the skin of my legs, goose bumps rising from a draft through the window.

I must’ve left it open, I thought nonchalantly.

As my abdomen tensed from the never-ending breeze, I experienced what felt like a million fire ants using their pincers on my already delicate skin- ready for blood. I wasn’t afraid- I was petrified, yet accustomed.

The insurmountable times I’d gone through this precise routine that my impulsive dad made. I was ready to end it all.

I would have if the crazy voice in my head didn’t stop me every time.

‘Hey! I’m not crazy! You’re crazy for thinking of suiciding without your mates’ consent!’ It spoke.

And for some reason, I listened to this voice. It drove me insane- about finding my mate outside the pack like it wouldn’t risk my life.

‘You should be listening! Why question my role?!’ It spoke again, not giving a peace of mind.

Fight back, it says. Say stop, it says. Anything I do, it complains to me! As if the world weren’t complaining of my existence.

‘You need to get up, finding your mate is the key goal in your life.’ It said, which I followed- well, at least the former.

A gasp here and a groan there, muffled as I stood. A slow and steady trip to the mirror, more gasps in the room as I took in the sight of my face.

My lips were painted- no, crusted with a film of blood. My cheeks were burning red, throbbing as blood circulated around the face. A bruise in a clean line ran from my temple through my eyebrow.

I then turned to the side, lifting up my shirt to assess the damage there.

Blotches of green, blue and purple coloured my ribs- few darker than others.

I only remembered seconds, but enough to recall the night.

First he slapped me, multiple times on the face. I was biting my lip to prevent any noise, eventually it broke the skin. I fell down after a few slaps, he resorted to kicking me with his expensive leather shoes. I out after too many kicks to handle.

But where did the bruise on my face come from? It was intricate, a shape and placement hard to make. Unless-

Did he through his shoe at my face afterwards?

I doubt it- he cared too much for those pair of shoes.

Giving up, I started my daily routine.

Shower and teeth, clothes, make up and food.

Make up was the essential part of my routine, or else my dad would be caught abusing me. Though the pack hated me, or disliked me to an extent, abuse is, was, and never will be the solution to a problem- except it was, for me. Either I stick to dads’ abuse or I’ll be a pack-less submissive wolf.

My uniform would be my only clothing left on me when I’m told to leave. A simple black pleated skirt, clean white collared shirt and polished black shoes. When cold, we wore black jackets. Lastly, a black tie designed with silver stripes running diagonal along the length for formalities.

Soon enough I was on my way to school, ready for another day of miserable education like no other.

I often wondered whether I would be given mercy one day. To see if somebody walks into my life and suddenly, poosh!, no more humiliation or degradation on something I have no control over. Something like that would never happen, the world isn’t perfect, nor is Valenteux.

Valenteux- the home of my alphas’ pack and the vampire clan. I knew not of any sort of coven or colony that resided here, and there was no merfolk- considering the lack of open water to access. We did have humans though, but they held no hassle to me.

I could feel their piteous stares as I walked through the school hallways already. They did nothing about my treatment treated, they were forced to be bystanders or else it would be their heads. Okay, it wouldn’t be- but you’d get seriously hurt.

I didn’t know I would be until I was yanked backwards and bumped into the stiff body behind me.

Oh y/n~”

Crap.

Jennie’s pov

“Of all places, mother, why here?”

“Valenteux is beautiful, Jennie. But that’s not the reason, I’m afraid. If it weren’t for your reckless behaviour, we wouldn’t have had to move from our well-guarded palace. You have one job, Jennie! And that’s to be a respectful and responsible Princess towards your people. Instead you abused your power, destroyed a young lady’s life and roused the rebellion clans! I lost four of my best guards, Jennie. Four. And I’m not prepared to lose more just because you want to have fun!

I rolled my eyes. She didn’t care much of my happiness, only the monarch. I don’t know how she expects me to take over when I’d turn to dust in boredom. If only she paid attention to-

A hand on my wrist cut my thoughts, stopping me from walking. Turning around, it was my mother. I mean- of course it was, if it weren’t then they’d get their hand chopped off.

“Jennie, I’m serious. I love and care about you. I may not show it in the best way, but I do care. Just please, I don’t want to go through this anymore.

I could see the sincerity, the fear, the regret and guilt she held in her eyes. I muttered a small ‘okay, mother’ before we continued to walk. We were interrupted seconds later by a guard kneeling ahead of us.

“What is it, guard?” And mother now a Queen again.

“My Ladies, I received a call from Valenteux High School, confirming the admission for the Princess. They say that she’s able to start from tomorrow and wish her a good nights’ rest to ease her mind.”

Wait, what?

My mother smiled softly before speaking, “Buy a bouquet of customised blue roses from the local florist. If they’re at an unreasonable price, buy white ones and place them on my desk. I have an old friend to visit.” The guard nodded before leaving, the two of us alone again.

“Mother, why must I go to school? It’s the reason we left after all.”

“Jennie, your education matures you. No matter how old you are- whether you’re 1 or 1000, it is a number, you grow none the wiser. The more you learn, the better you understand how our advanced world works. Besides, I’m not sending you to private school anymore.”

My jaw dropped at that. Literally.

“Keep those fangs in, young lady! Anyways, it’s come to my understanding that you won’t learn in our world if you’ve never ventured it. If something goes wrong, the Valenteux pack and colony are there to protect you. The few witches and fae that live there will help and humans won’t be a problem unless I’m notified. Understood?”

“U-Um…” “Either yes or no, Jennie! I’m raising you to be a firm and steady monarch, not a stuttering mess.”

“Yes, mother. I understand.”

y/n’s pov

“Please! Let me go!”

I was currently being dragged along the school hallways- my skirt now a mop as it cleaned the dust off the grimy floor. My hair was sticky, drips of translucent and yellow streaking down the sides of my face as the trail instantly dried as a tacky mess.

Echoes of laughter bounced off the walls, locker doors used as drums to witness the finale of my humiliating morning.

“Where’s the fun in that y/n?” Chanyeol sneered.

“Park Chaneyol! Release the submissive, IMMEDIATELY!”

A pin could be dropped and it would echo through the hallways. Instead a pin- the lump in Chanyeols’ throat was forced down as the grip on my collar was released. A thump was heard as I landed backwards on my bag, followed by the sound of loud footsteps that shook everybody.

“Everybody, into your homerooms… NOW!”  The booming voice of the Alpha caused a mess of students to find their homerooms before they could count to 5. I was left struggling to stand as the students continued to scurry, bags held low and feet bound to step on my nimble fingers.

There was silence once again. I managed to stand this time, now alone in the hallway with Chanyeol and the Alpha. He wore a black suit with a white collared shirt, a blue tie and a stained blue rose in his coat pocket to match.

“Miss Kang. Here… A handkerchief. Keep it.”

I gratefully took the white handkerchief, giving a small bow of respect, a small ‘thank you’, and dabbed on my forehead.

I left after receiving two stares from the Parks’- not wanting to be a nuisance any longer. I didn’t leave anywhere, simply turning the corner and leaning against the wall. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but it just happened.

“Chanyeol, as Alpha of this pack, I’m appalled. This isn’t who I raised you to be!”

“I know, Dad. But she’s just a submissive, and-”

“And that gives you the right to humiliate one of your own? She may be a submissive, but she is still a werewolf of ours. If it weren’t for your mother, I wouldn’t even be here.”

“And why’s that, Dad? Why visit me at school? You could’ve waited till I got home from school!”

“From school? Or the local pubs that happen to call you a party animal when I show the manager who I’m expecting to be the next Alpha? I know why you come home so late Chanyeol, don’t test me!”

“Yes Dad...”

“Anyways, I was here to inform you to be on your best behaviour, but that clearly isn’t as well as I expected! The Vampire Queen has arrived, and along with her came the Princess.”

“Wait… you mean- THE Vampire Queen and Princess?”

“Yes, and she’ll be attending school from tomorrow. You’re to be her guide and introduce yourself as the coming Alpha. I’m expecting her to feel welcomed- and that behaviour with the submissive is not welcoming. Oh god… what will they say about a submissive?”

“Don’t worry about that, Dad. I’ll make sure that y/n Kang is nowhere in sight for the Princess.”


SIKE, I'M GOING TO UPLOAD THIS LIKE NORMAL BUT MAKE SURE A CHAP COMES OUT EACH WEEK! 

meow out, uwu