Dealings

Legend of the Sea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Over the next month, the three began to put a plan together, and by the time they had come up with something solid to go on, Myungsoo could see the forever snowy peak of Winter's Cove in the distance. The sight of the cove excited him, but it also heightened his anxiety.

 

It would take a lot to get in, and he knew he would need more than they had now, even with a higher influence as his ally. He hadn't been lying to Soojung when he had told her that he needed her clout to get in, because without it, he would simply be breaking in and helping a fugitive escape. That was something he was willing to risk for himself, knowing he could never return home afterwards, but he didn't want to put his new allies into danger. He had vowed to keep his two younger companions alive, and he planned to stick to that.

 

If their plan didn't work, his best friend would remain in prison for the rest of his life, while the real killer was walking freely about to possibly kill again. He feared that, even though the case had been closed when they had convicted Sungjong, the killer would strike again, this time killing someone of even more importance. The thought of that happening gave the young man mixed feelings, as it would mean another noble life taken, but, in the process, would exonerate his friend. With how quickly Myungsoo's own mother had signed Sungjong's life away, he no longer cared about living the life of a noble and continuing in their hasty, unjust ways. All he cared about was finding justice for the innocent girl who had been slaughtered and his precious Sungjong, who had paid the ultimate price for it.

 

Making his way over to his companions, he smiled at them, removing his hood as he sat down at the table to eat. They were still the only two people on the ship who knew Myungsoo's true identity, and he planned on keeping it that way. He had also noticed that the two of them had become quite close,forming a bond through their common interests and also their attraction to one another. While he was happy for them, their closeness caused his heart to ache for Sungjong, and intensifying the loneliness and guilt he felt over the young man's situation.

 

"Good morning, Myungsoo!" Jongin greeted him with a toothy grin, his eyes sparkling in the sunlight. "We were just talking about the creature Soojung saw in the water last night. It was long like a snake, but with the width of a shark. I've been telling her that it was clearly a shark, and they don't typically attack ships, do they?"

 

Myungsoo took a bite of golden, chewy toast on the platter, shaking his head and he turned to Soojung. The young woman frowned at him, silently agreeing that Jongin clearly had never seen or heard of a Krianac, yet another sign that he knew nothing of the dangers of the world. "I guess our young theif hasn't ever seen a Krianac. That would have been for the better, except that we'll be getting off of this ship as soon as it reaches land, and those things..."

 

"What? Those things do what?" Jongin's eyes had widened, causing him to look like a scared deer. "Is it because of us?"

 

Soojung shook her head, touching Jongin lightly on the arm. "They can kill people, but usually don't," she glanced at Myungsoo, who was watching her over the rim of his coffee cup. "If they do, it's usually not in their water-dweller form, but something else. If it comes after us once we leave the ship, we'll be in danger. However, there are so man people here to distract it that it might stay here instead."

 

"ing hell!" Jongin exclaimed loudly, now looking more terrified than ever. "So they can transform, too! How are we supposed to get anywhere with that thing on our tail? What if it transforms into a person...like one of us?"

 

Myungsoo sighed, silently wishing they had never explained the dangers of the shapeshifting creature. Reaching down to his side, he took comfort in the sharp sword he carried. It just might come in handy, but he also knew that he would need more manpower, especially if they were going to have to fight off a creature. Their journey had just become even more complicated, and he hoped they would make it to Winter's Cove safely. Even when they reached land, he knew they would have a long way to go to reach their destination.

 

Turning to Jongin, he smiled. "Don't worry. I told you I would protect you, and I intend to keep that promise, no matter what I have to face to do so."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter