Chapter 03

How (NOT) to Pass a Knife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minhyuk’s stomach had taken a plunge down to his knees when he heard the code blue announcement over the intercom. His fear was confirmed when he saw Kihyun’s surgeon, Dr. Kim dashed past him heading towards the double doors of the ICU. The poor distraught boy had rushed to the doctor demanding information on his friend’s condition, but the doctor offered nothing. He was told to have a seat and then doctor disappeared beyond the doors.

But that had been more than an hour ago. There was still no news on Kihyun and his panic level was increasing with each passing moment.

When Dr. Kim finally walked into the waiting area, he found Minhyuk sitting on the bench with legs bouncing in nervous anticipation. Dr. Kim cleared his throat, immediately getting attention from the boy.

“What happened? How’s my friend? Is he okay? Is he still alive?” Minhyuk rambled out in a barrage of questions as he stood up and walked over to the doctor.

“His blood pressure bottomed out, which then caused his heart to stop. We have his heart started again, so yes, he’s alive and doing as well as can be expected right now.” The doctor said calmly.  “We adjusted the medications we’re giving him and we will keep an eye on his blood pressure and make sure it stays at a safe level. He’s being prepped right now to be taken for a CT scan,” Dr.Kim noticed Minhyuk’s additional distress at the new information, so he explained the situation. “Please don’t be alarmed, we’re sending him to have a CT scan as a precaution to check and make sure that everything is okay and there's no missed or additional bleeding.

Minhyuk nodded dumbly at the doctor’s long explanation. The only thing that he truly cared to hear was that his friend was still alive.

“I tell you what…” the doctor paused, he looked like he was contemplating his next words. “I’ll let you see him for a little bit after he’s done with the CT scan. But after that, you have to promise me that you’ll go home and get some rest.”

Minhyuk’s expression lightened ever so slightly at the doctor’s offer. He really wanted to see Kihyun, but the thought of going back to the dorm and leaving Kihyun all by himself in the hospital worried him. He weighed his decision for a moment before nodding his head in defeat.

“It's going to take at least an hour. Why don't you take that time to clean yourself up and get changed?” Dr. Kim glanced at Minhyuk’s bloodstained sweater. “We'll let you know when Kihyun gets back to the ICU." He squeezed Minhyuk's shoulder in sympathy. "Don't worry, we'll take good care of him."

 

 Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘

 

With a huge lump in his throat, Minhyuk walked inside the hospital room. Kihyun. His best friend was lying in the hospital bed unmoving, seemingly in a deep sleep. He felt his heart drop for the hundredth time. Kihyun wouldn’t have ended like this is it wasn’t for him. Tears that had pooled in his eyes now threatened to overflow.

Minhyuk approached the bed and placed his hands on the side. He bit his lower lip to refrain from crying at the ghostly pale face before him. He had to briefly look away to regain control of his emotions before setting his gaze back on his friend.

Kihyun’s bed was surrounded by an array of medical equipment. Countless wires were attached to his arms and chest, and the most jarring of all was the tube threading down his throat.

“Oh, God… Kihyunnie…”

Minhyuk reached out a shaky hand to touch Kihyun's arm but drew it back. As much as he wanted, to touch his friend, he couldn't bring himself to do it. He'd done this, he'd put Kihyun here on this hospital bed and it didn't matter if it was unintentional. It was his hand that had plunged the knife into Kihyun’s chest.

“Kihyun-ah…” Minhyuk muttered under his breath, grabbing a chair and taking a seat next to his bed. Quietly sitting next to Kihyun's bedside, he studied the features of his friend’s slack face.

"Please, please be okay. I’m sorry…" he pleaded, "you can’t leave us… you can’t leave me… please Kihyun-ah..." His voice faltered with each word.

"You can't die, Kihyun," he whispered, pulling the younger’s hand into his own.

 

 Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘

 

Days passed and Kihyun remained unconscious. The other members came and went, stopping by to be with Kihyun whenever their schedule allowed them. Despite not wanting to leave Kihyun’s side, Minhyuk knew that he had responsibilities to carry out. He would spend most of his free time at the hospital, however, keeping his vigil by Kihyun’s side, clutching his hand and willing for him to wake up.

Kihyun had thankfully made it through the next two days without further complications. Kihyun’s attending doctor, Dr. Kim had mentioned that Kihyun was now no longer in the danger zone and that Kihyun’s body was slowly on the mend. His blood pressure held up, he was free of infection, and the wound was healing nicely. The only concern that Dr. Kim had was Kihyun’s state of unconsciousness. Although Kihyun had not sustained any head injuries Kihyun’s failure to respond to any stimuli was still a source of concern.

Because there could always a chance that Kihyun might never wake up.

.

 Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘

 

Five days.

One hundred and twenty-two hours. Give or take.

It had been five daunting days of sitting and falling asleep in a thinly padded hospital provided chair. Minhyuk’s back ached and his legs kept falling asleep from being in the sitting position for too long. He barely left his post beside Kihyun’s bed unless he really had to. Not even when he wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter