Chapter 01

How (NOT) to Pass a Knife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Letting his body drop onto the couch in their living room, Kihyun huffed and looked around at his surroundings. There was nothing else to be done around in their dorm and he was itching to do something. He had been up since seven in the morning, spending most of the time painstakingly cleaning every nook and cranny of their living space. He got laundry done, cleaned the bathroom, got rid of expired food from the refrigerator and the pantry cabinet, vacuumed, dusted all the furniture and even wiped all the windows until they were squeaky clean.

He had even cleaned his already immaculate space in a fit of desperation.

“Oh my god... I’m so bored…” He muttered exasperatedly to himself.

Everyone else was out doing something. It was his day off and he was all alone in the house. As always.

He stared around in frustration. The walls of their dorm were starting to close in on him and he had to get out. He had to find something to do.

A light-bulb moment occurred and his eyes lit up as the idea popped into his mind.

V Live. 

That’s it. He should stream on V Live. It’s been a while since he last got on V Live and shared his passion for cooking with the fans. It would be a perfect idea, he thought. He could kill time by doing two things that he enjoys doing at once. He’d be able to interact with the fans and test out new recipes at the same time. To make his cooking segment more interesting and lively, he’d ask one of the members to join him on the broadcast. The fans are going to love it! The thought itself had him smiling from ear to ear.

Usually, Kihyun would carefully and meticulously plan out the content of his cooking segment way ahead of time, but today he decided that he’d just wing it and go for it. He quickly messaged their manager to inform what he had planned out for the day.

Infused with buoyant enthusiasm, Kihyun sat up and reached for his laptop. He flipped the lid open and waited for the computer screen to load. Sitting crossed legged on the couch with the laptop perched on his lap, he poured his undivided attention on the screen, diligently searching for a delicious looking recipe that’d catch his fancy.

“Hmm… should I make a Korean dish or a foreign dish?” he mused, pursing his lips as he considered the options.

He sat through a few more cooking videos on Youtube and carefully deliberated on his menu choices. When he finally made his decision, he shut the lid of his laptop and placed it back on the coffee table.  Wasting no time, he scurried off to his room to get ready.

Making sure that he had everything he needed with him, he reminded himself that before leaving the dorm, he needed to ask if any of the other members were willing to join him on his cooking segment that day.

Shownu and Wonho were out on a photo shoot. Hyungwon mentioned that he’d be spending most of his day out with his family. While Minhyuk, Jooheon, and I.M were also out, he had no idea what they were up to. So, he pulled his phone to find out, hoping that at least one of the three would be available to join him.

Since Minhyuk had been on his broadcast a few times before, he thought it would be great to invite either Jooheon or I.M to join him on his broadcast this time around. So, he decided to try his luck on the youngest first, but unfortunately, I.M was busy in the studio writing songs for their upcoming album. He called Jooheon next, and as he had expected, the rapper was also busy

“Okay...  let’s see what Minhyuk’s doing…” the vocalist mumbled to himself.

Dialing Minhyuk’s number, the call went straight to the voicemail. Kihyun frowned, looking at the screen of his phone in disbelief. That’s a rare occurrence, he thought. Instead of leaving a voice message or trying again, he decided to send his friend a message;

 

[유기현]: (( 11:16AM ))

Minhyuk-ah. Where are you? Are you busy?

[유기현]: (( 11:16AM ))

Tried calling but the call went straight to your voicemail. Are you in a cave or something? What are you doing?

[유기현]: ((11:16AM ))

I’m bored. I wanted to go on V Live and cook, but Changkyun and Jooheon are busy. Do you wanna maybe… join me if you have time?

[유기현]: ((11:16AM ))

Let me know.

 

The vocalist waited for a few seconds, staring at his phone to see if Minhyuk would reply.  Acknowledging that the reply wouldn’t come anytime soon, he simply pocketed his phone, put on his shoes and left the house.

 

 Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘

 

Before heading to their company headquarters, Kihyun made a quick stop at the supermarket to get all of the ingredients needed for the dish he was planning to make. Time was not on his side, so he made sure not to get distracted in the supermarket and only searched for the ingredients listed on the recipe. After making sure that he had everything, he quickly made his purchase and headed to his intended destination.

At some point, while he was on his way to the Starship headquarters, his phone buzzed and a few messages were displayed on the screen.

 

 

[이민혁] : ((13:04PM))

ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

[이민혁]: ((13:04PM))

Forgot to charge my phoneㅋㅋㅋㅋ

[이민혁] : ((13:04PM))

 Wow, I was I your last choice? You’re horrible. Just because I got invited last, I DEFINITELY don’t want to join. You can explain to our Monbebes how I couldn’t come because you were horrible to me

[이민혁]: ((13:05PM))

Dunno if I can make it anyways. I’m with friends. Just do your broadcast alone

 

 

With that, Kihyun resigned to the fact that he had to carry on with the broadcast alone. Not that it would be a problem for the vocalist; he’d do just fine by himself. It was just that he knew that he’d enjoy it more if he had the others with him. Understanding that Minhyuk was out doing his own thing, Kihyun replied to the message telling him that it was fine and to enjoy the rest of his day off.

By the time they arrived at the headquarters, Kihyun was itching to get on with his plan. He was excited. Getting up to the floor where he was planning to get the broadcast done, he politely asked if he could have the kitchen area for a few hours. Despite not asking in advance, he was grateful that they had allowed him to have the space for the day.

His current contentedness, however, did not last. He was having problems with the internet connection. Apparently, the internet was acting up for some floors in the building.  And the floor that Kihyun was on happened to be one of them.

He couldn’t help but feel a little disheartened by the setback. It was too late to find another location, and going home to cook in the kitchen of their dorm wouldn’t be too convenient.  He thought about his options carefully. He didn’t want to just throw in the towel and give up. Kihyun was never the kind to do anything halfway, so he decided to just record the whole cooking segment and upload it later when they get back home.  Things weren’t going as he had hoped, but he wasn’t going to let it deter him.

 

Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘Μ✘

 

Before turning the camera on, Kihyun had changed into a white button-up shirt which never failed to make him appear even sharper and adept. He just prefers to look prim and proper on his cooking segment, and it was a good look on him.

Kihyun organized his workspace, arranging each and every ingredient on the countertop. Presentation is everything.  He made sure everything was within reach, but not obstructing the allotted free space to work. Satisfied with how it looked, he told their manager to turn the camera on and to start recording.

He gave a cheery greeting towards the camera, first clarifying how this was supposed to be a live broadcast, but due to the unforeseen circumstances with the building’s internet, he couldn’t forge through his original plan. He apologized to the fans, knowing that it would have been a much better experience if they could interact in real-time together. He then continued on to talk about the menu he had chosen for the day. While he was going on about t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter