Chapter 6

THEN THERE WERE THREE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6

“I'm still not happy with the brake.” Putting on his synthetic leather gloves, Jiyong yelled over the sound of revving engines. “We should have stuck with the Galfer one.”

“We have to use our sponsor's product, remember? As ty as it is.” Tabi tried the brake once, twice, then sighing. “Race well, man. Race well and sponsors like Galfer will come to us with their tail between their legs. Heck, I can even see EBC signed you on someday.”

“Alright.” Jiyong's pout turned into a frown of determination. “Maximum point and I'm qualified for national?”

It was not just about the national motocross championship. Maximum point meant he got to relax a little. Maximum point and he could enjoy Jinwoo's second birthday celebration to the fullest tomorrow.

“Maximum point.” Tabi nodded, helping Jiyong with the yellow helmet. “Careful with Hanbin, alright. That guy is crazier than Seungri.”

Jiyong gave his friend a thumb up, grabbing the handlebar. “Alright, let's go! Let's go!”

Tabi threw his fist in the air, screaming from the top of his lungs. “Let's goooooo!”

Jiyong grinned, ready to live his dream.

He knew it was a nightmare. He could feel the unreal part of it. Yet he still felt his tears falling.

“No, Taeyeon. No. Please, Jinwoo. Hold on.”

He saw them slipping deeper into the abyss. The darkness where ugly monsters resided. The place that snatched his father, his mother, and Seungri away.

He struggled. He had to open his eyes now. He had to return to reality.

“He's awake!”

He blinked, immediately hating the harsh light coming from the fluorescent lamp above.

“Oh, God. Thank you.”

It was Taeyeon. He knew that voice anywhere.

He didn't see her instantly though. A doctor came forward, shining even brighter light into his already hurting eyes while asking him questions. Too many questions.

Then there was Tabi, Sandara, and Tabi again. Even Seungri's father, the team owner, came and wished him a speedy recovery. It took longer than his liking for the room to grow quiet and for people to start filtering out. It took him less than a second to spot Taeyeon sitting on the chair by the window.

“Taeyeon...”

“Hi.” She smiled, albeit a little. Rising up and closed the distance between them in two long strides, she kissed his forehead. “I'm so happy you are okay.”

“I'm sorry.”

“It's not your fault.” Her hand moved to caress his face. The feathery touch felt like heaven on his skin.

“How do you know?”

“Tabi made a good use of the six hours you spent in the OR to tell me how the accident wasn't your fault.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. At some points, I even thought he would pull a powerpoint presentation out of thin air. I'm now fully equipped with the knowledge of motorbike braking system failure.”

Jiyong grimaced his laugh, his ribs were killing him.

“It's hurt, isn't it? Want me to get the doctor?”

“No. No more other people. I just want you.”

“Are you sure?”

Jiyong nodded, trying to shift up on the pillows.

“Careful.” Reaching her hands to help, Taeyeon laid a soft gaze on him. “Alright. Do you want some water? The nurse said you can have Jell-O too.”

“I'm sorry. You must be worried.”

“Let's not talk about it.” From the pitcher on the bedside table, she poured a glass of water and brought it to his lips. “Not now.”

It hurt. It hurt so much to see her taking care of him like this. It hurt to know that she pushed her own feeling aside just to make him feel better. The water tasted so fresh but all Jiyong could feel was ache. He couldn't tell if it was actual pain coming from his broken bones or it was just him kicking himself mentally.

“I missed Jinwoo's birthday, didn't I?”

“Don't worry about it.” She caressed his head again. “Do you want some Jell-O? There's a mango one.”

“He must have been disappointed.”

“Don't be silly. He is two.” With what sounded like a forced laugh, Taeyeon took one yellow Jell-O cup from the bedside table. “I told his sitter to give him a slice of the birthday cake a few minutes ago. Our boy is probably having fun smashing his face into buttercream at the moment.”

“And I miss that precious moment.”

“Don't brood.”

It was her way of telling him that he should have seen this coming. Her lack of eye-contact was not because of the Jell-O in her hand at all. Jiyong could feel it, the anger hidden somewhere behind her smile.

“I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.”

Stopping herself from peeling the lid of the Jell-O, Taeyeon finally stared into his eyes. For a moment, there was only the sound of ticking clock in the room. With bated breath, Jiyong waited for her to flame.

“Just promise me that yesterday was the last time I had to wait six hours outside of an OR not knowing if my husband would make it out in one piece.”

“Taeyon I-”

“Promise me you'll stop putting your life on the line.”

He avoided her gaze, knowing well that he couldn't make such promise.

“He walks like a duck.” Jiyong laughed, resting his head on Taeyeon's thighs. “Our son is waddling.”

“I swear my baby has the cutest bump.” Taeyeon laughed too, dipping a slice of grape into the sour cream sauce before popping it into Jiyong's mouth. “And his cheeks? He would walk in front of me and I just couldn't stand not kissing those chubby buns.”

As if on cue, the toddler waddled to where his parents were. His tiny feet stomped on the picnic blanket, his chubby hands spread out toward Taeyeon.

“Oh, no. You've got enough kiss from mommy today, Jinwoo. It's my turn!” Jiyong grabbed the boy with his good hand, peppering said chubby cheeks with kisses.

“Careful, Jinwoo.” Stopping Jinwoo from stepping on his father's broken arm, Taeyeon took her turn kissing the boy. “We don't want daddy to hurt his arm once more.”

“It's practically healed.” Jiyong made a demonstration of taking his arm out of the sling and used it to grab his son. The little boy squealed in delight, hitting the cast with his tiny fists.

“Oh, you hit your daddy now.” Jiyong stood up, bringing Jinwoo with him. “Young man, you're asking for trouble.”

He swung the boy in his arms, back and forth while making airplane noise. Giggles and happy squeals came out of the two-year-old. Sounds that spurred Jiyong on.

“Careful there.” Taeyeon smiled, popping a slice of fruit into her own mouth

“Mow! Mow!” Jinwoo laughed.

“You want more?” Jiyong laughed too, adding jumps and twirls to his move. “You don't feel dizzy?”

“Mow! Mow!”

“Okay. That's enough.” Taeyeon stood up, taking Jinwoo from his father. “We don't want you to vomit your breakfast out so early, baby.”

“Spoilsport.” Bending and heaving while holding his knees, Jiyong stuck his tongue at Taeyeon.

Sticking her tongue out in return, Taeyeon hugged Jinwoo and whispered into the little boy's ear. “Your father might think he's a man of steel but he's not, Jinwoo. I'm pretty sure he just broke another bone swinging you like that.”

“Yeah? Tell your mother this arm of steel will carry her to bed tonight, Jinwoo.” Deciding that he actually needed to catch a breath, Jiyong lied on the grassy ground. The morning clouds were especially pretty to his eyes today. Sun shined bright but when he blinked he saw something prettier and brighter.

Taeyeon.

“You okay down there, daddy?” Taeyeon bent over him, clearly worried, while little Jinwoo who was perching on her hip gave him a toothy smile.

“Good.” Jiyong sighed, grinning at his favorite sight. “Just think of all the naughty things I can do to you tonight, with my BOTH hands.”

“Yah!” Her foot darted to his side. “We have a minor here.”

“Yeah?” He grabbed her by the hand, pulling her down. “I don't think he understands anything about our midnight activity.”

“I swear to God I'll make him wake up all night long tonight.” Scrunching her nose but still welcoming his kiss, Taeyeon sat by his side and put Jinwoo down.

“Oh, he'll sleep like a log tonight.” Kissed her once more, Jiyong pulled out a silver key from his pocket. “In his new crib, in his own room.”

“His own room?”

“In our new apartment.” Jiyong put the key on Taeyeon's palm, the T-letter keychain gleamed under the morning sun.

“New apartment?”

“Which will get every inch of it christened with our searing hot .” He spelled the last word, smiling at the little boy who suddenly felt attracted to the shiny thing in mommy's hand.

“Jiyong? How?”

“I broke five bones but made it to National. The team compensated me accordingly.”

“But-”

“And no.” Giving her another kiss, Jiyong let their foreheads touch. “You don't get to protest. Not today. Today is for happiness.”

“Jiyong...”

“I'm so happy, Taeyeon." The tips of his fingers grazed the soft skin of her cheek. His lips found hers once more. "Because of you. Because of Jinwoo. Because I'm now a national racer. Because I lead a life I've been dreaming of. Aren't you happy too?”

Taeyeon turned her head, smiling at Jinwoo who managed to grab the key and now trying to put it into his mouth. “I am happy.”

“Good.” Much to Jinwoo's protest, Jiyong took the key. “Now kiss me or I'll let our son lathers this shiny new key with his snot and slobber.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter