EPILOGUE

THEN THERE WERE THREE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

EPILOGUE

“I'm home.”

A shriek comes from the kitchen, then a laugh and footfalls of little feet on the hardwood floor. Jiyong smiles. Despite the weariness of his day job, the little girl launching herself forward always manages to make him smile.

Widely, he opens his arms and bends down so the speeding bullet in a pink ruffled skirt and blue unicorn t-shirt can reach his neck with her pudgy arms.

“Welcome home, daddy.”

“Thank you, princess.” He smothers those soft cheeks in kisses, enjoying the rumbles of a laugh coming from such a tiny body.

“Spin me!”

“Nooo.” He fakes a groan. “My back is aching from all the working.”

“Just once.”

“Nooo.” He fakes a hoarse cough this time, purposely falling on the couch and brings the little wonder with him. “I'm too old.”

“Spin me once then I'll give you a massage.”

“Deal.” He laughs, standing up and immediately grab the girl by each wrist. “Ready?”

“Ready!”

“Go!”

He makes helicopter noise. She laughs. He adds extra speed. She shrieks in joy. He spins more than once. The girl doesn't even count. Their happiness fills the living room of the small apartment. Her giggles fill his heart to the brim.

“Okay. Massage time.” After a while, he stops and flops on his belly on the couch.

“How hard do you want it, daddy?”

“Oh, I don't know. How hard can it be?”

“This hard.” The girl presses both palms on her father's back.

“No. No. No. That's for a baby. Harder.”

“Like this?” A tip-toe is added for every press now, giving the girl extra leverage and power.

“Exactly.” Jiyong closes his eyes, actually enjoying the soft presses on his back.

“Okay, done.”

“Whaaat?” He props himself up, glaring at his tiny princess. “I gave you extra spins. I deserve an extra massage.”

“I didn't ask for extra spins.”

The way those eyes twinkle. The mischief in her smile. On a moment like this, Jiyong often wonders what he has done to deserve such a smart little baby in his life.

“You little scammer.” He grabs the girl into a tight one-arm hug, tickling her waist rather mercilessly. Their laughs and giggles once again fill the room, projecting happiness to anyone lucky enough to hear them.

“You guys are such a noisy duo.” Sandara emerges from the kitchen, smiling down as she smooths her palms over her shirt. “It's twenty past ten. We don't want the neighbors to complain.”

“Sorry, auntie.” The girl bats her lashes at her favorite aunty. “I'm so happy daddy is home.”

“I'm happy too.” Sandara bends down to give Jiyong a loose hug. “I thought his flight is not until tomorrow morning.”

“Tabi let me clock out early so I won't miss my girl's first day of pre-school.” Jiyong beams at her daughter. “Have you got your bag and your shoes ready, princess?”

“Yes! Auntie Dara helped me, daddy! We even made a pretty card for my teacher.”

“Awesome!”

“The card has a glittery unicorn in it! Come see it, daddy! Come!”

“Your daddy will see it first thing tomorrow, okay?” Sandara bends down and gives the girl a kiss on the cheek. “It's super late. You have to go to bed now.”

“Noooo.”

“We don't want you to oversleep on your first day of school, do we?” Smiling, Sandara smooths the little girl's hair.

“Only if you promise me a story.”

“Oh, she's your daughter alright.” Smiling even wider, Sandara stands up slowly.

“Yep, a scammer.” Jiyong grins at her daughter. “Daddy will be your storyteller for the night, baby. Auntie needs to get home soon.”

“Noooo.”

“Oh come on, I'm a better storyteller than her. I can do sound effects.”

“I want a girl story. I want auntie Dara's story.”

“Tell you what, I'll tell you two stories tonight. Two princesses stories.”

Little Jeongyeon tilts her head to the side in full consideration. “Only if I get to sleep in your room too.”

Jiyong groans, nodding his answer then tells his girl to go brush her teeth first.

“God, Ji.” Sandara laughs in amusement, patting Jiyong's shoulder as she grabs her coat from the couch. “I can't wait to see all the troubles she serves your way when she hits teenager life.”

“Joke on you.” Jiyong helps Sandara into her coat. “You know you'll have to help me deal with most of those troubles.”

“Oh, I don't know. I can always swerve away and let Tabi lends you a hand.”

Sighing, Jiyong opens the door for his best friend. “You meant crazy uncle Tabi? The one who thought a set of fake creepy crawlies is a perfect birthday present for Jeongyeon second birthday?"

Laughing, Sandara gives Jiyong's cheek a kiss. “Goodnight, Ji. Good luck finding a girly story to satisfy your smart little girl.”

“You've got Taeyang to pick you up downstairs, haven't you? You can't be driving this far along?”

“He hasn't let me drove since the day we found out about this baby.” With a wistful smile, Sandara rubs her bulging belly. “Give Jeongyeon my goodnight kisses, alright?”

“Alright. Goodnight.” Kissing Sandara's cheek, Jiyong watches her walk for the elevator. “Thank you, Dara. Always.”

“You're welcome, Ji. Always."

 

"I like Auntie Dara better than Ms. Im, daddy.” Little Jeongyeon declares from her cozy spot between stuffed animals on her father's bed. “She lets me do stuff.”

“More like spoils you rotten,” Jiyong mumbles under his breath as he also slips under the cover. “I think Ms. Im is pretty cool. Doesn't she bake you special cookies every time I'm out of town?"

“Will you be out of town often, daddy? You are more fun than Auntie Dara and Ms. Im combined. I love you more.”

“I know right?” Jiyong chest inflates at his daughter's flattery. “I'm the best.”

“You are, daddy. I hate it when you're away.”

“I'm so sorry, baby. Uncle Tabi needs me to tune up bikes before a race.”

“Why can't uncle Tabi do it himself?”

Jiyong laughs. “Oh, he can. He's just not as good as me. Don't worry, Yeonie. I'm currently training uncle Ben at the workshop so he can be the one working out of town and I can stay with you all the time.”

“All the time?”

“Uh-huh, all the time.” He grins and grabs a teddy bear, playfully tosses the plushie in the air. “What are these animals doing in my bed? My bed is not a zoo.”

“I can't leave them in my bed. They hate being alone.”

“Alone?” Jiyong laughs, pushing a bright green plush unicorn and a giant panda aside so he can wrap a hand around his baby and kiss her cheek. “There are like what, twenty of them? They have each other.”

“But they don't have me.”

“Good point. I will also feel very lonely if I don't have you.”

“See.” Crossing her hands on her chest, the girl nods. “Now tell me the stories, daddy.”

“Promise me something first.” Jiyong yawns as he shifts up on the pillows.”Promise me that I will always have you. I hate being alone too.”

Crawling up then lays her head on her daddy's shoulder, the girl hugs Jiyong tights. “Promise. Stories please.”

“Okay let me see. Princesses story.” Rattling his brain for a girly story, Jiyong kisses the top of Jeongyeon's head. A whiff of the girl's jet black hair is all it takes to throw Jiyong down memory lane. He blinks back a pang of sadness within, suddenly thinking of the woman he loves the most.

It never gets easier.

On a good day, he might be able to focus on working while taking care of her little daughter. In the silence of the night, his mind always drifts back to Taeyeon.

Taeyeon.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter