Chapter 12

THEN THERE WERE THREE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 12

“Thank you, Uncle Tabi.”

“Don't mention it, dude. Just get well soon and visit me on the basecamp!”

“I will, soon.”

Jiyong watches his best friend gives his son a fist-bump, smiling when Tabi teases Taeyeon then laughs when Taeyeon jabs Tabi back with a witty comeback. It feels like those first years again. The time when everything was alright. When Jinwoo was healthy and Taeyeon was such a happy wife befriending Jiyong's friends.

Shaking his head out of the good memory, Jiyong follows Tabi out of the hospital room. As soon as they reach the corridor everything turns somber. Not even the bright neon light can help the feeling that this is the place where everything turns grey, that people are struggling for their health in those rooms behind them.

“He looks so happy,” Tabi comments in a smile, leaning on the wall. “Bragging about how you snuck him out of the room to the burger joint across the street.”

Jiyong smiles a little too, thinking about that fun day where he ended up crushed between Taeyeon's anger, Doctors' resentment and Nurses' threat.

“It's been four weeks. How's your foot healing?”

“Good.” Jiyong sits down, lifting his foot. “I carried him across the street on these two feet, you know?”

“So, ready to get on your bike then?”

“Tabi...”

“Don't tell me you're really quitting.”

“You saw the happiness in Jinwoo's face, didn't you? Won't trade it for the world.”

Tabi looks up at the white ceiling, drawing a deep breath. “Damn, I need a cigarette.”

“Jinwoo needs to undergo one more surgery. After that, I'll come and set everything right with the team.”

“The only way to set it right is by getting back on the track, Ji.”

“I thought you would understand.”

“I understand, damn it.” Tabi throws himself onto the waiting chair. “I had been praying for you to make the right choice but that was before the session started. You can't just quit right now.”

“Say who?”

“Say the contract you signed, Ji.” Tabi rubs his face before staring at Jiyong helplessly. “Mr. Lee asked if you think you can actually pull through, remember? That old man warned you. Agreeing to race means you have to carry the flag to the end.”

“I never really thought of it.” Leaning back, Jiyong turned his head to see Jinwoo's room. “All I can think of is my son now.”

“Good. I'm happy for Jinwoo. For you? Not so much.” Tabi rubs his face again. “There are sponsors, racing committee, and crew you're responsible to, Ji. I can see lawsuits ahead if you actually stop racing not even halfway into the season like this.”

“Can't they see that this is emergency? My son is terminal. I would race until the end of my life if I could but Jinwoo needs me now. My family needs me.”

“Yeah. Tell that to those corporate lawyers. For some people, this is just business and business has no heart. I can already hear them argue about how you actually aware of Jinwoo's condition before the season started. That you are the one at fault for all the losses suffered by the company and the sponsors.”

“Right.” Jiyong scratches his head. “I'm a fool. I should have stopped before it gone too far.”

“I'm sorry Ji. I'm all for you spending more time with Jinwoo but the collateral damage to your decision will huge this time. Money will flow out. People might lose their jobs for this.”

Jiyong sighs, gazing at Jinwoo's room once more. “Last week surgery, doctors managed to remove one big mass in Jinwoo's brain. They found four others though. Four. All too close to his artery, they can't even touch them.”

He turns his gaze toward Tabi now, feels like crying his heart out. “They give us three months. Four if we're lucky.”

“I'm sorry, Ji. I'm really sorry.”

“I don't think I can race again.”

“There must be a way for you to keep racing ...”

“No! Even that little girl who tripped me on the track knows better than me, Tabi! A girl did everything just to be with her sick father. I can do the same. I will do more.”

“Ji...”

“I've spent too many time trying to find another way, Tabi. I should have stayed by Jinwoo's side sooner. I only have ing 90 days to be with my son now.”

Tabi stops speaking, heavily sighs as his eyes trained on the ceiling again. Jinwoo's laugh can be heard from the room behind them, sounding so sweet Jiyong knows it moves Tabi heart too.

“Just give it another thought, please.” Standing up, Tabi tugs at Jiyong's hand and forces him into a hug. “This might impact your whole future.”

“There's nothing left to think about-”

“Just think about it. Really think about it.” Giving Jiyong a pat in the back, Tabi walks away. “The next practice season for Guangzhou is on Sunday. I'll be waiting for you on the track.”

Sign here, here and here.” The hospital administration staff points with a pencil at the document on the desk. Jiyong watches intently as Taeyeon's hand tremble slightly over the paper. He understands. He still wants to fight her for this decision but this time, he's 100% understands.

He had done his part, agreeing to her decision although he wants to do so much more. It didn't take him long to sign those papers not because his heart has turned cold, it was because he finally learned to see through Taeyeon's eyes. He finally gets a grasp on the value of time.

“Done.” Taeyeon scribbles her signature after quite a moment. No tears in her eyes, just what seems to be the deepest sorrow Jiyong ever saw.

“Per protocol, I have to run the content of this document to you once more.” Doctor Choi takes the document from the staff hands. “By signing these papers, both of you, as legal guardians of Kwon Jinwoo agree to withdraw treatments.....”

Jiyong tunes out the rest of the doctor's words. He already read those damned papers. He knows what they have approved. They agreed to give up. They are taking Jinwoo's home for the last few weeks of the boy's life.

Taeyeon has both hands balled into tight fists by the side of her body. For other people, she might appear to be strong. Knowing better, Jiyong wraps a hand around her shoulder. They both are falling apart, they both are trying hard not to dissolve into tears.

“Don't miss the bi-weekly check-up, alright? Call me if something comes up. Call me anytime you like.” After a thorough read, the good doctor hugs Taeyeon heartily. “Keep attending the support group meeting. You have to stay strong for Jinwoo.”

“Thank you.” Taeyeon smiles a little.

“And you,” Doctor Choi shakes Jiyong's hand. “I count on you to be strong for them. Really – really count on you.”

Jiyong nods, whispering his gratitude for Dr. Choi Sooyoung and other hospital staffs' services. Their seemingly unconditional affection toward his son, their immense help, he and Taeyeon owe them so much.

They leave with a smile. A facade to hide everything from Jinwoo who even refuses to use the wheelchair. The boy waves and bids goodbye to everyone, believing that he's been healed and won't be staying in the hospital anymore. With every step that Jinwoo takes, Jiyong glances at Taeyeon. The smile on her face looks so beautiful but the sadness in her eyes cuts deep into Jiyong's heart.

Halfway out, Jinwoo holds Taeyeon's hand in one hand then outstretches the other to Jiyong. “Let's go home, daddy.”

“Let's go.” It has been years since the three of them walk hand in hand. He wants to relish the moment but his heart bleeding so bad smiling is a struggle.

“Let's go home, baby.”

I can't take this.” Sandara pushes the brown folder away on the table, turning her head to Tabi. “We can't do this.”

“Think of all the crew, Dara. Most of them are our friends since day one.” Jiyong pushes the folder back to Sandara. “Not all of them live on an easy street like us. This might be not much but they will need this. Their family will need this.”

“You heard Tabi. They understand. We understand. The team will find another racer and move from that. We will be fine.” In a mix of stern and sad expression, Sandara gazes at Jiyong. “You've given up enough.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter