Flowing (810)

Inked

Everyone's picked up Nayoung's habit of walking along the Han River when they need to think about things.

Well, almost everyone. Sungyeon and Kyla are sitting on the grass overlooking the river, drinking smoothies on a Sunday morning after their church service (at Kyla's suggestion). But it's basically the same thing. 

Sungyeon's pretty sure she knows why Kyla brought her here. 

''I'm taking a break,'' Kyla says idly. The nonchalance is only surface-level. She's looking down at her smoothie and fiddles with the straw. ''I'm gonna go back home to L.A. for a little while.''

Sungyeon guessed correct. In a much less urgent conversation, she would've celebrated this victory. 

''Does anyone else know?'' She's looking at Kyla with a practiced balance of concern and ease. Too intense worry will make Kyla feel guilty and clam up. Too casual of a tone and Kyla will think she's being too analytical and brush the whole thing off. 

''I talked with my parents about it when I went home for Chuseok. And I texted the managers like, the day after-- they're gonna set up a meeting with CEO-nim soon. But you're the first person in the group to know.'' 

Sungyeon nodded and took another sip of her drink. She gets why she and the girls were the last ones to hear about this. Kyla cares about their opinion the most. If anyone of them disagrees with her decision (which is impossible), Kyla would stay without a second thought if it was best for Pristin. Because that's something Kyla would do.  

''What helped you decide all this? What was the catalyst?'' Kyla makes a face at Sungyeon's 'nerd word'. (Sungyeon was studying chemistry the night before, sue her). 

''Remember when I hit my head when we were shooting 'We Like' and it was no big deal?'' 

''Yeah.'' Everyone-- Sungyeon included-- wanted a manager to take Kyla to the hospital when it happened. But Kyla's stubborn and didn't want to delay production. The paramedic said she was fine and Kyla finished filming. And Kyla made it to their goodbye stage with the rest of them with little issue.  

''So, it actually was a big deal,'' Kyla reveals with an embarrassed chuckle. ''My parents took me to get a CT scan and an MRI like right after my plane landed. Turns out I've had a minor concussion this entire time. It makes sense: I had constant headaches, couldn't concentrate on anything, and couldn't sleep for more than three hours.''

''But none of us noticed something was up,'' Sungyeon muses. Her brain easily connecting the dots. ''Your symptoms didn't seem weird at the time 'cause we were all exhausted, stressed, and fatigued from promotions.''

''Wow, I'm impressed. Maybe you shouldn't have given up on that whole doctor gig,'' Kyla teases. 

Sungyeon just rolls her eyes.

''The doctors said I have to rest. I can't exercise or practice or even do schoolwork. My parents think it's best if I just rested at home with them. Anyway, it'd be better than just sitting in the dorm alone all day while you and the unnies are out practicing.''

Kyla's a sincere person. She has no reason to lie. Or at least, she can't lie well. So Kyla likes to reword things, leave out details, turn the focus onto something other than the actual problem. But Sungyeon's too observant, too curious, too skeptic.

''Do your parents really want you to rest just because of the concussion?'' She takes special care not to emphasize the 'just' but the implication was definitely there. 

Kyla pauses for just a moment. ''Well, that's the main reason. Everything else plays a factor, though.''

Of course. A fifteen-year-old girl can't ignore the internet forever. 

Sungyeon doesn't like talking about feelings. She utters out an ''I'm sorry'' and hopes it doesn't come off as disinterested or detached. (It doesn't). 

''Don't be. This means that those people know who know I am. And that I stand out from all the other pretty, talented girls.  And any publicity is better than no publicity, right?'' Kyla's lips curve up just the slightest. Kyla doesn't cry all that much, so Sungyeon thinks these kinds of smiles might as well be teardrops. 

Sungyeon doesn't know what else to say, so she merely nods.

Because Sungyeon can relate. With Yewon, the three of them are the least known in the group. Which makes sense, considering none of them did Produce 101 with the unnies and Siyeon. Yewon had braces and was really self-conscious about them at the time. (Sungyeon thought it made her look more charming, but she'll never tell Yewon that). And Sungyeon and Kyla were still living in America back then. The weekly concerts and the pre-debut covers helped, that Girl's Spirit show not as much since they haven't even debuted yet. (She wasn't expecting to get very far anyway, but the unnies were all friendly and sweet). When the girl group was announced, the reactions were mostly positive. They were one of the most anticipated girl groups debuts in the post-Produce 101/I.O.I. years. But it was still 'Nayoung and Pinky from I.O.I, the Rest of the Pledis Girls from Produce 101, and Three Others'. 

During some of Sungyeon's weaker moments, she had the faintest traces of envy towards the youngest. Because even if Kyla made article headlines as being attacked for her looks, at least the people and the internet know her name. Is it better to be attacked or anonymous? Insulted or invisible?

But then Sungyeon shakes those thoughts out of her head. Because if she had to choose between music and fame, music will always win. And dammit, it's not like Kyla chose to be a trending topic by simply existing. Sungyeon is always one to welcome intelligent discussion and debate and even has her own praises and criticisms for the Korean entertainment business. And she really admires high-profile figures who speak out against some of the less-glamorous aspects of idol life. But did it have to be Kyla who ended up being the subject of controversy about the beauty standards in the industry? Sweet, calm, quiet Kyla who just debuted and has no way to even comment on all of this?

It's at times like these where Sungyeon is reminded that even though she and Kyla were two girls from L.A. with the same dream, they're still so different. Sungyeon, who grew up in Koreatown and spoke Korean as easily as English, whose mom was able to move to Korea to support her, who was able to spend nights with her family instead of sleeping one more night in the dorms, who was able to enroll in the International school system instead of online homeschooling, who gets praised online for her vocal talents and her crucial role in the group, who only has friends to miss back in L.A., who didn't have to compete for her parents' attention, who didn't feel trapped between a popular charismatic older brother and an outgoing and charming younger sister. 

Kyla doesn't need advice, she needs reassurance that she isn't making a huge mistake-- going on hiatus right before the start of awards season, in the middle of their debut year, just as their careers are taking off. 

''Did the doctors give you an estimate of how long your recovery period's gonna be?'' Sungyeon doesn't ask anything other than that, but she knows Kyla could hear the unspoken questions.

What about our next comeback? How are we supposed to perform as nine instead of ten? Do I write songs for three rappers instead of four? Who's going to take over the low and clear and chill and cool rapping tones? The English rap lines?

Who is going to be the other half to American line?

''I don't know how long I'll be gone,'' Kyla admits softly. ''If you and the unnies want to do a comeback with nine girls, you have my blessing. Yaebin-unnie's English is almost good as ours and if you help Nayoung-unnie a bit, she can handle all the low rapping. Nayoung-unnie's English pronunciation is pretty good, have her practice with you and Yaebin-unnie. I don't want you guys to put your life on hold because of me. Plenty of other groups have promoted with members on hiatus. Solji-sunbaenim hasn't performed with EXID-sunbaenim in over a year.''

No group ever likes the promotion eras with members missing

''Don't worry about us,'' Sungyeon smiles, a bit tired and sad. ''Just focus on getting better. We'll figure something out. We always do.''

''Gosh, remember those predebut concerts? Nayoung-unnie was in I.O.I., Siyeon-unnie with that ankle injury, and even Yaebin-unnie was sick for a little while? There were weeks where I had to do all the rap parts!'' Kyla laughs. ''My voice was fried.''

The two laughed for a moment there. 

''But seriously,'' Sungyeon tilts her cup towards Kyla for emphasis. ''You better be messaging me like every day.  And you have to Skype me and all the other unnies at least once every two weeks.''

''I'll even try once a week,'' Kyla assures. 

''And eat all the Mexican food you can find.''

''Of course.''

''Go to Chipotle, In-N-Out, and Shake Shack for me.''

''You forgot Whataburger!'' Kyla exclaims with mock offense. 

''Just do literally anything that we've been talking about when we said we miss L.A.'' Sungyeon concludes with a nod.

''So longboard to a Dodgers game, eat an entire bowl of guacamole, complain about the tourists and try to remember the last time it rained?''

''Well I would've said a Lakers game, but yes to everything else.''

''That's fair. Only intellectuals support the Clippers anyway,'' Kyla casually shoots back. 

Sungyeon ignores that Lakers dig. ''Also, don't forget to smoke a fat blunt for me since I can't.''

''I'll even get Luke to buy me a vape pen. Gotta support our HIghs in any way I can.''

The two girls laughed until their sides hurt, startling the calm morning air. The most 'rebellious' thing Kyla's ever done was move to Korea with her parents' full permission. But Sungyeon did get yelled at by her mother a few months ago for secretly getting new piercings. 

Sungyeon checks her phone for the time and can't believe that it's already almost noon. They've been there for hours. She zips up her jacket and stuffs the unused napkins in her now-empty cup. 

''We should start heading back, we promised Yewon we'd get lunch together.''

''Okay,'' Kyla concedes as she gets to her feet. ''Let's bounce.''

Sungyeon glares and shoves Kyla's shoulder, while Kyla just laughs. Damn, Sungyeon's gonna miss this. ''You know what? Tell your family that they won't have to buy plane tickets. I'm kicking your over to L.A. myself.''

 


Sungyeon tries to hang out at the Han River at least once a month. Sometimes she invites the girls to join her-- Yewon, Eunwoo-unnie, or Nayoung-unnie if she isn't feeling too tired. Sometimes she goes by herself. Every time, without fail, she tries to  FaceTime Kyla and gets more missed calls than answered ones. But the moment Kyla's face pops up on her phone screen, Sungyeon laughs at Kyla's teary face and Kyla laughs at Sungyeon's red, swollen cheeks-- also stained from crying.  

They'll be all right.