Five

Timeless

“Your turn” The MC turned to Renjun.

Renjun stared at the sticks in the MC’s hand. There were four left and one of them was painted red at the bottom end; whoever picks it will be punished. Renjun was quite amazed that none of the maknaes had picked it up yet. He tried to calculate the possibilities for each of the eft out stick but in the end all of them looked just the same. He should just quickly pick one, his luck wouldn’t be that bad, right?

“Pull out the left one” Mark suddenly whispered into his ear and Renjun did as he was told.

The whole room filled with screams. Renjun stared at the stick in his hand in disbelief; its end was painted bright red. The members who hadn’t had their turn yet were cheering in relief while the maknaes were cheering for his misfortune. Only Mark looked apologetic.

“The lucky one today is Renjun. What do you think the punishment is?” The MC gave him the microphone.   

“I hope it doesn’t involve beating” Renjun half plead.

“Renjun, this is not Middle Age. We don’t beat people for fun” the MC laughed as he motioned to the staff who brought out a glass filled with green water to the set. He handed it to Renjun. “This is the punishment.”

The MC went on to explain that it was a nutritious tea which was made from different herbs but when Renjun tried to smell it, he almost puke. It smelled so disgusting. Renjun is known to be a picked eater. He doesn’t even eat organs and bitter vegetables, how was he going to drink the whole glass of that thing?

“You may drink” the MC urged and Renjun felt like crying but he knew he shouldn’t do that or he will leave a bad impression on his group. Then, someone took the glass from Renjun.

“I’ll drink it” Mark volunteered. “I haven’t been feeling well these days, so I should drink this nutritious tea to be healthier.”

Renjun thought he saw a halo over Mark’s head. All members cheered on their leader and even the MC seemed to be satisfied with it. Mark finished the drink it one shot and everyone clapped their hands.

“How was it?” The MC asked.

“Are you sure this is not a poison tea?” Mark replied humorously.

“I told you this is not Middle Age!”

 

Renjun woke up with a heavy head but he quickly knew that he was not his dorm. It must be quite late because the sunlight has shone into the room through the paper windows. Staggering, Renjun climbed off the bed and made his way to the door. When he opened the door, the warm sunlight and calming breeze greeted him. He closed his eyes for a moment to take in the fresh air and his head felt a bit better.

What lays in front of him was a spacious old-style court with minimal stones, small trees, rocks and lanterns decoration. The bright blue sky was clear. The hallway was long, leading to other parts of the mansion.  At his feet, a set of breakfast was left in a tray in front of the door. Renjun sat down in the doorway, inspecting the food; a bowl of ginger rice, a bowl of chicken soup, a mandarin and a pot of tea.

Renjun remembered his conversation with Xuxi last night clearly but it was still difficult to believe. He has time-leaped? He has gone back at least 300 hundred years which now he is in the Middle Age? While time-leapt was a popular theme in dramas, movies, and comic, but there was no scientific and factual record of it as far as he knew. Is it even possible? Or could it be that Xuxi was lying? Renjun haven’t see any evidence of technology since he arrived there. He had purposely wandered around the mansion to observe but there were no electric lines, no airplane passed the sky, no electric devices, no modern stove in the kitchen and no use of plastic materials. If this was a fake set, they must have prepared it so well. But they wouldn’t be able to cover everything so well in a large area. Renjun realized that he hadn’t taken a proper look outside of the manor yet. They were in hurry when they first arrived at the manor and didn’t really pay much attention to his surroundings.

This must be a trap and Xuxi was lying, Renjun told himself. He should escape from this manor and find a way out. Even though they prepared a whole town as a set, there must be a loophole and there must be an exit. With that in mind, Renjun brought his breakfast to the table to eat. He needed energy to escape.

 

“I heard you have been attacked.”

“Forgive me, Your Majesty for being so careless and wasn’t able to see you as you ordered.” Xuxi kneeled in front of the Majesty but the Majesty quickly gestured for him to stand up again.

“Do you know who’s behind it?”

“We are still investigating.”

“Investigate…” the Majesty suddenly rose from his seat and paced around the room. “I don’t like this. Why do we need so much time to find the truth? By the time we find it, the enemy might have attacked or escaped.”

Xuxi stayed silent. He knew there was something else that the Majesty wanted to say.

“Last week, I received information that Governor Lee had made a suspicious gold transaction. The amount is huge, but the source and the receiver has not been identified. Say, Xuxi…” he turned to face Xuxi “do you think he is trying to betray me?”

Xuxi hated the question so much. He knew if he answered recklessly, he or someone else might loose their lives. It was not the first time the Emperor had asked him.

“May I know how much the gold was?”

“Three large carts”

“Your Majesty, that amount of gold will not be easy to hide and transfer. I’m sure I will be able to figure out the intention behind this. Please let me investigate.”

The Majesty snorted. “Investigate again? I would get the answer right now if the Eye of God is still functional!” he suddenly shouted in anger and Xuxi quickly got on his knees.

“Forgive me, Your Majesty. We are still trying to retrieve the Eye of God.” Xuxi explained calmly.

“Everyone is envious of my power. They are just hiding behind the mask while in front of me but in reality, they are just waiting for me to turn my back and they will stab me to death!”

“I would not let that happened to Your Majesty even if I need to give my life away.”

Hearing to the loyal words, the Majesty calmed down a little. He sat at the table, and Xuxi automatically pour him a cup to wine that was prepared. The Majesty picked up the cup but instead of drinking it, he shoved to Xuxi. Xuxi accepted the wine obediently and drank it.

“I want you to investigate the one who attacked you and also the Governor Lee’s case. Report the progress to me directly.” The Emperor ordered and Xuxi accepted it. “How’s Old Man Huang?” the Majesty asked after a moment.

“He is still not able to stand for long, but other than that, he’s quite energetic.”

“I haven’t seen him for quite sometimes. To think, I used to see him almost every day when I was small.” The Majesty smiled as he remembered the old times. Xuxi’s grandfather was the younger brother of the late Emperor. Huang family has been known to be the biggest and the most loyal supporter of the Emperor of Huang. They were trusted by the Emperor to carried out difficult tasks and keep dark secrets.

“Xuxi, you need to retrieve the Eye of God as soon as possible. I cannot be patient for long.” The majesty warned Xuxi before he dismissed him.

The Eye of God was known to have the power to reveal every truth in the world. It was the main factor that Huang empire had expended so much and lasted for more than 100 years. No other previous rulers were able to be as successful and prosperous as Huang empire. No one knows where the Eye of God came from but it used to be in the possession of Huang Emperors until 25 years ago. The Eye of God was deactivated accidently and cannot be used anymore. The late emperor had tried various methods but was unsuccessful. Then, he entrusted the Eye of God to his most trusted brother and gave him the task to retrieve it. Since then, Huang family has been gathering information from all over the country but was still unable to activate it.

Only recently, Xuxi had received useful information from one of his spies and it could be the clue to activate it. However, Xuxi knew it was too early to inform the Majesty about it.

Xuxi was passing the hallway near the herb garden when he saw a group of servants escorting a woman. Xuxi stopped to greet the figure.

“Did you come to see the Majesty?” Imperial Noble Consort Ju inquired with a smile.

“You’re right, Your highness.”

“Is it something important?”

 “It’s just a regular matter. I wouldn’t dare to bother your highness with it.”

Imperial Noble Consort Ju came closer to Xuxi and whispered so that no one else could hear, “Do not hide things from me.”

“it’s really nothing that Your highness should concern with.” Xuxi insisted as he clearly knew what her interest was.

“Alright, if you say so. Have a good day.” Imperial Noble Consort Ju dismissed him and walked away elegantly, followed by her servants. However, after a few steps she stopped. “I forgot to mention, Princess Jingyi had been missing you. She begged me to let her visit you. I think she will go to Jade Manor in a few days. Please treat her well.”

“Will do, Your highness” Xuxi affirmed and watched Imperial Noble Consort Ju nodded in please before she walked away.

 

Xuxi had stopped by at the Town Hall on his way back. He wanted to plan an investigation for Governor Lee’s case as soon as possible. By the time he reached Jade Manor, the moon was already up in the dark sky.

He wanted to change and rest as soon as possible but he couldn’t bring himself to do so when he knew there was someone he worried about. Last night, Renjun cried during their conversation and fainted in his arms. Xuxi still thought that Renjun was speaking nonsense but Renjun looked genuinely lost and scared when he revealed the reality. Was he really from a far away place?

When Xuxi arrived at the guest room, he was surprised to see there was no one in it. There was no dinner on the table as well and a used robe was folded neatly and left on the bed. He searched through the room but couldn’t find Renjun’s clothes that he wore on the first day. He was sure that his servant wouldn’t put away a guest’s belonging without his order. He summoned his servant.

“Where is Renjun?”

“He left, Master” Si Cheng answered.

Xuxi always kept his composure in all kind of situations but he almost rolled his eyes at Si Cheng at that moment.

“I thought I asked you to keep an eye on him.” Xuxi’s voice was slightly strained.

Si Cheng blinked. “Yes. I thought it is just while he was here…”  

Xuxi clenched his jaw in anger. “When did he leave?” he asked while walking. Si Cheng followed him.

“This afternoon.” Si Cheng answered guiltily as he noticed his master’s anger.

“Prepare my horse.” Xuxi ordered a servant that passed by. “Do you know where he is going?” this time to Si Cheng again.

“He said he wanted to return home.” Si Cheng recalled.

Xuxi stopped in his track to glared at his servant. “And WHERE is his home?” this time he could hold back his anger.

 

Renjun was most probably on foot but it had been a half day. He might have gotten quite far if he wanted to. He regretted for never inquired about the boy’s home but from all of the nonsenses he was talking, it might be useless even if he asked. If he thinks again, what Si Cheng did was correct. Renjun was only a guest, he had no right to hold him if he wanted to go home. Even though Renjun had saved his life, but he should not be responsible over the other’s life. Whatever he wanted to do and whatever happen to him are not in his control. Nonetheless, Xuxi didn’t feel right by letting him be. He was worried and he knew he will regret it if he do nothing.

 

His main gate guards told him that Renjun went towards the city. Xuxi was half expecting that Renjun would go back to the forest where they had met. Xuxi ordered his men to look for Renjun but he had a feeling that only him can find the boy.

The street was almost empty. Most of the shops were closed. Only bars and brothels were lighted up for business. Most of the customers were drunk, so it was useless to ask around. They searched for quite sometimes until Xuxi saw a black cat walked across the street. He somehow had a hunch and followed the cat to the back of a medicine shop. There, he saw a lonely figure sitting at the corner with a white cat at his feet. He was the white cat gently when the black cat meowed. Renjun lifted up his face and saw Xuxi standing not far from him. The black cat greeted the white cat by rubbing his face onto the other’s and they started to snuggle and each other in cosy.

“What are you doing here?” Xuxi sounded annoyed as he approached the white hair boy.

Renjun didn’t answer instead, his eyes brimmed with tears. Seeing that, Xuxi felt sorry. So, he asked again in a softer tone, “Why didn’t you tell me you are leaving?”

“I couldn’t find my way home” Renjun cried pitifully.

After that, Xuxi had persuaded Renjun to return to the Jade Manor with him. Renjun didn’t had choice so he didn’t put up a fight. Xuxi placed his coat on Renjun when he saw how the other was trembling. Throughout the way to Jade Manor, Renjun didn’t stop crying. Renjun was trying to hide it, but Xuxi couldn’t help but caught the small sniffs and sobs because they were riding the same horse.

When they reached the manor, Xuxi asked the servants to prepare hot water, fresh clothes and dinner for Renjun. He waited for the other to finish bathing, changing clothes and having dinner. Renjun only ate a little before he announced that he was full.

“You should rest. We talk again tomorrow,” Xuxi suggested but Renjun didn’t move. He then guided the sad boy to the bed. “Sleep, you will feel better.” He tucked him under the sheet and felt his forehead to make sure the boy didn’t catch a fever.

Renjun closed his eyes for a moment when he felt a palm on his forehead. But when the warmth left him, he felt lonely and scared again.

“Please don’t leave me.” Renjun begged and his tears started to blur his sight again.

“Why? You do not have to be worry. My guards outside will make sure you are safe.” Xuxi tried to console him.

“I don’t want to sleep. What do I do if I woke up and I’m still here? That this is not a dream? How do I live here? I don’t have anyone or know anything about here”

Xuxi realized that Renjun was still in denial and he wanted to think that everything is just a dream. He ran his fingers through Renjun’s white hair gently. “If this is not a dream, then you’ll have me. I will take care of you.”