Daisies on the Cliff ❁

Ephemeral
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 44:

 

 


*.☽.*


11:01 PM

We set up our version of the lounge on the beach like we always did every year. Five chairs surrounded the bonfire that provided light apart from the moon in the sky. We also had a mat nearby where we put all the food and wine. It was pretty cold due to the wind, I was wearing a matching navy blue sweater and sweatpants. Aside from that, I had a duvet wrapped around me.

We were all laughing because my sister was talking about how she had mistaken someone to be a mom earlier. According to her, she grabbed the woman’s hand leading to the water. She kept saying let’s go swimming mom but then the lady kept struggling to free her hand from her grip and later on yelled, I am not your mom.

I watched everyone as they all looked happy, especially Baekhyun who was seated on the chair next to me. He was wearing his black Supreme hoodie and white sweatpants, his hair slightly parted in the middle, and his crescent-shaped eyes beaming. He looked pretty cozy, I had to fight the urge to leave my chair and snuggle against him. However, since his chair was quite close to mine, I reached for his hand. Without looking at me, he automatically played with it as if it were a natural reflex. He rubbed my fingers with his palms to warm them up.

I was so focused on him that I didn’t realize my dad was talking to me if not for Baekhyun signaling me. When I looked around, everyone else was staring at me.

“Stop daydreaming about your boyfriend, will you?” My dad openly teased.

I instantly felt embarrassed, my cheeks heating in the process. I faced Baekhyun only to see him amused as he continued to my hand gently.

“Well, Dad.” Alice intercepted. “If my boyfriend is as handsome as Baekhyun, I’d be daydreaming most of the time too.”

The rest of the group laughed because of my sister’s remarks, putting me in a tighter situation. I was still very conscious but I forced myself to ask my dad what he had told me earlier.

“We were telling Baekhyun that you used to have your favorite chair. You know the one I made for you when you were little. You liked it very much you’d sit on it all the time whether you’re eating, watching TV, or watching your mom do the gardening outside.”

Oh god, they’re going to get me more embarrassed in front of Baekhyun. I rattled, holding my hands up to signal my dad to stop talking.

“Dad let’s not talk about that, okay?” I pleaded, giving him the look. “Why would you bring that up now?”

“No, baby…I wanna hear it.” Baekhyun contradicted. “Sir, go on… I wanna hear it.”

Of course, he wants to hear it.

“No Baek, that’s not interest-” I had to cut my statement short when I heard my dad speak, ignoring my plea.

“So, going back…when she was about five years old, one day I found her crying in her room in front of the chair. Of course, I asked her what was wrong but she didn’t tell me. So, I went to examine the chair because I was sure it had something to do with it. When I looked closely at it, it was all wet… not just the chair but the floor as well. At first, I thought it was just plain water but when I double-checked it, it turned out your baby right there…” He trailed off, pointing at me causing Baekhyun to glance at me. “Peed on her favorite chair and she was crying because she said the chair already smelled like old potatoes.”

Baekhyun burst out laughing, his literal HA HA HA laugh filling the space around us. I sighed in defeat covering my face with my hands.

“Starting that day, we called her favorite chair smelly potato.” My dad went on.

“If you thought that that was the light time she peed on smelly potato, you are so wrong.” It was my mom who spoke this time.

Great, Mom. I want her to get along with Baekhyun but not for this purpose. I glared at my parents and also at my sister who was busy laughing beside them too.

“Hey, baby.” I heard Baekhyun leaning closer to me. “Is smelly potato still alive?” He added, his tone teasing. “I’d like to see it, see if it smells like old potatoes.”

“Ugh.” I groaned. “Go Away Baekhyun,” I added, annoyed as I slightly pushed him with my hand only for him to hold it hostage, and give it a kiss.

He did it so casually, probably forgetting that we were with my family. When I stared at him, he must have gotten what I meant. He cleared his throat as realization hit him. He looked back at me, seemingly scared to turn to them.

“These two,” Alice whined. “I keep telling you not to do that here because obviously, I’m the only one who doesn’t have a partner here.” She added, jokingly rolling her eyes.

I knew she was trying to cover up for us since Baekhyun and I were two dumb people who couldn’t even come up with an alibi. Or so I thought because Baekhyun just opened his mouth and said something that made me want to punch him in the face.

“I checked her hand if it smelled like old potatoes.”

It was my family’s turn to laugh out loud.

“You’re good,” Dad commented, giving Baekhyun a thumbs up. “I officially like you.” He added before turning to me. “I like him.”

I was torn between being happy or annoyed at what my dad just said. However, the twinkle in Baekhyun’s eyes when he heard Dad saying that he liked him was so evident, that it got the best of me. Sighing, I thought it wouldn’t hurt me to sacrifice my dignity as long as my family got along with Baekhyun.

“Well, what’s not to like about him Dad?” Alice told Dad. “I told you he’s great. He’s talented too. You should listen to his songs.” My sister went on, winking at me.

“Okay okay, I’ll listen for sure,” Dad answered, sounding tired of my sister’s nagging to listen to Baekhyun’s songs. “You know what, why don’t you let us listen to you sing right now Baekhyun?”

I felt Baekhyun stiffen next to me, squeezing my hand.

“Now?” He asked.

My father nodded. “Let’s hear it.”

“C’mon Baekhyun.” My sister egged him on. “Prove me right to my parents. Show them I’m not crazy over your voice for nothing.”

Baekhyun turned to me as if asking for reassurance. Totally forgetting about my embarrassment, I smiled at him, bobbing my head in agreement.

He’s got this.

“Okay.” He agreed, clearing his throat before he started to sing.

The very moment he opened his mouth, as soon as the first word came out, I knew just what song he chose to sing…My Love.

With what words can I express this feeling?
How can I look at you for you to know what’s in my heart?
I went through the seasons with you and walked the streets with you.
Little by little I was able to get to know you.

He was singing it Acapella, making his beautiful voice stand out. I looked at my parents and found them engrossed as he was singing.

No matter where you are, I’m loving you
I won’t rush you, I’ll stand behind you and protect you

This time, Baekhyun turned to face me. He looked me straight in the eye, making me forget that we were not alone.

I will be with you
I’ll come up to you
I will be with you
Always, my love for you

He was gazing at me like every word from the song was meant for me.

I want to be in the same time as you
I want to be in the same place as you
I’ll slowly walk to where you are
Because I believe it’s like practice to go to you.

I couldn’t look away from him, I was so scared to break the eye contact because I might start crying if I did.

No matter where you are, I’m loving you
I won’t rush you, I’ll stand behind you and protect you

I will be with you
I’ll come up to you
I will be with you

There was something about Baekhyun’s voice that touched my heart every time. The power he holds to storytell by singing a song is unbelievable. I felt the song, every word of it. I just knew he was singing his heart out.

Always, my love for you

By the time he finished the song, a tear fell from my eye that made me look away. Everyone was so quiet around us and the moment I looked back to check on them, they were all staring at us. Baekhyun was still staring at me, did he ever look away for a moment?

Someone started clapping and I expected it to be Alice but it turned out to be my dad. He looked very pleased, even proud.

“I see.” He muttered. “This must be how you charmed all the women in my family.” He added before he turned to look at my mom.

We all looked at her, who was quietly sitting beside him. She was looking down and if I wasn’t mistaken, she was crying.

Why was she crying? Was she moved by Baekhyun’s voice? Or was it because she finally realized that Baekhyun’s intentions were pure?

I swear, it’s so heart-warming.

She looked up and was a bit surprised to see all pairs of eyes focused on her. She immediately looked away from us.

“Why are you crying, mom?” My sister went up to check on her. “Are you okay? I told you guys he’s got an amazing voice, didn’t I? See, now you’re moved to tears.”

“Actually.” She said, leaving us all, all ears to what she had to say next. “This just makes me realize how your dad’s voice is so bad compared to Baekhyun’s.” She reasoned out.

Dad stood on his feet in protest and started singing an old Korean ballad making Baekhyun, I, and my sister laugh.

He’s my dad but mom was right.

“Dad.” Alice signaled him to stop. “I’m sorry, I love you. You’re a good father but mom is right, your voice sounds eh.” She told him, giving him a thumbs down.

“That’s not true.” He contradicted before he continued singing the song but stopped when he saw Mom covering her ears.

Then Mom stood and gave his sides a pinch.

“OW.” He groaned.

“Stop embarrassing yourself Tae Geun.” She scolded him.

All the three of us burst out laughing once more, they looked so cute arguing like that. I felt the need to lean closer to Baekhyun and the very moment my head made contact with his shoulder, he went to wrap an arm around me. I looked up at him and saw genuine happiness on his face, making me feel like flowers were filling my heart.

This scene is so satisfying to witness, I hope this never ends.


*.☽.*

11: 59PM

A minute before Midnight. We were all standing waiting for the countdown to begin. I was so excited, like a child feeling giddy as I anticipate to welcome the New Year. Alice and I were holding sparklers on both of our hands, ready to light them up as soon as the clock hits midnight. Baekhyun was right behind me, holding our wine glasses while Mom and Dad were watching us, enjoying their wine.
When the 10-second countdown began, we joined the other groups on the shore as we yelled every number, drowning out the sound of the waves nearby.

Five, Four, Three, Two…One!

“HAPPY NEW YEAR!” Everyone yelled, altogether.

Alice and I lit the sparklers, lifting our hands in the air. We marveled at the lights, their cracking sound so good to listen to. I was concentrating on the adorableness of the little things in my hands when I felt Baekhyun’s arms around my waist, pulling me away from my sister before he back-hugged me.

“Happy New Year Baby.” He greeted me right next to my ear before kissing me on the cheek.

I giggled as I transferred the sparklers to his hands, freeing my own so I could turn around and face him. He met my eyes as soon as I looked at him.

“Happy New Year Baby.” I greeted as well, the endearment earning a handsome smile from him.

Placing an arm over his shoulders, I hugged him.

“I’m so glad you’re here with me,” I told him.  “I couldn’t be happier,” I added before I leaned away so I could plant a quick but firm kiss on his lips.

Just in time I finished kissing him, my family came over to our spot and started greeting us. As we exchanged greetings, I almost broke down in tears as I witnessed my mom hugging Baekhyun as they both greeted each other. She looked sincere and it was as if I could feel how tight her embrace was.

Oh god, wow. I felt a sense of pure relief.

Baekhyun looked equally grateful as he was showered by greetings from my family. When it was my dad’s turn to greet him, I thought I saw Baekhyun nod.

What are they talking about?

I was supposed to start thinking about it if not for my mom who suddenly showed up in front of me. Without second thoughts, I hugged her tightly.

“You’re right.” She stated. “He seemed to be a good man.”

Her remarks immediately moved me to tears she leaned away, she immediately wiped my tears with her thumbs.

“Happy New Year Honey.”  She greeted.

“Happy New Year Mom,” I replied, struggling not to cry more.

Deep down inside me, I knew…that this was going to be the happiest New Year’s Eve ever.


*.☽.*

Later on, my sister took the camera and the tripod out. Baekhyun helped her set it up and when they had it all ready, I saw Baekhyun telling Alice to join us. Looked like he volunteered to take the photo. Alice however, dragged him to join us but he refused to say it should be a family photo and then went back to the camera. When he was about to take a shot, I heard my mom.

“Baekhyun.” She called, catching everyone’s attention. “Why don’t you just join us?”

Did I hear it right?

My brain kinda lagged as I blinked twice before turning to Baekhyun who looked as surprised as I was. He appeared stunned and unsure at the same time, not saying anything but looking back at us.

“C’mon, it’s not every time we get the chance to have a photo with a celebrity.” My dad added, convincing him.

“B-but...it’s a family photo.” He reasoned out, stuttering a bit.

“Why? Don’t you wanna be a part of it?” Dad replied in a matter-of-fact tone.

Baekhyun and I exchanged looks, I knew that we were both having a hard time believing what my parents were talking about.

“Just set the camera on a timer.” My mother instructed.

I smiled at him, my eyes turning glossy because of the moment. I watched him nod before doing what my mom instructed him to do.

“I’m going to set it for 5 seconds.”  He announced before pressing the shutter.

He ran and filled the spot beside me. I wanted to look at him the moment he was already next to me but I didn’t want to ruin the photo. He draped an arm around my waist just in time the camera flashed.

“Okay, one more,” Alice said, running to the camera this time.

Baekhyun and I looked at each other. The truth was, I wanted to melt in his arms the moment I realized how genuinely happy he looked. We were just smiling at each other, too scared to hug and not let go. Alice ran to my parent’s side and we took another photo.


*.☽.*

We all stayed there. We ate and drank under the summer night sky. We talked about stuff and everyone seemed to be comfortable throwing questions at each other. My parents take turns asking Baekhyun about his family and how he usually celebrates New Year’s Eve. Baekhyun on the other hand answered these questions with ease.

It was maybe around 1 AM when I started to feel kinda dizzy. I checked on my glass which was between my sister and me. I had to blink my eyes when I realized that it was full again.

“Hey, Eonnie,” I called, surprised at how tipsy I sounded already. “Why do you keep pouring me a drink?”

“No bub, I’m not. What are you talking about?” She replied, denying my accusation right away.

I scratched my head as I looked at Baekhyun who was sitting on the chair next to mine. I leaned closer to him, clinging to his arm.

“Baek.”

“Mm?”

“I feel dizzy. I must have drunk a lot, I didn’t notice.” I told him, making an effort to control my voice and keep it low.

“Really?” He replied as he cupped my face in his hands. “You want me to take you to bed?”

“No.” I protested, shaking my head sideways. “I’ll stay here with you guys, I love watching you guys talk like this…makes me happy.”

“Okay baby. Just tell me if you wanna take a rest, m’kay?”

I nodded like a sleepy child.

A few minutes later, or so I thought, I felt my sister handing me my glass.

“C’mon finish this, you only have a little left.” She urged.

Why is she making me drink?

“Okay.” I agreed nonetheless. “But this is going to be the last one Eonnie. After this, I’m not drinking anymore.” I told her, my voice not having a single ounce of energy. 

I felt so tired and dizzy. How?

I took the drink from her and drank the wine until I emptied the glass. Which I realized was a huge mistake because, in just a matter of about fifteen, the dizziness worsened.

I am drunk. I’m really drunk.

“Baek,” I called, wanting to ask for help from him.

“Yes, baby?” He replied, looking at me.

Wow, he’s my boyfriend.

I blinked my eyes a couple of times and for some reason, I felt like crying.

“I love you,” I said, not aware of how loud that was.

It kinda caught him off guard as he turned to my family.

“You know you’re supposed to tell me you love me too, right?” I whined as I stood, my hands on my waist.

The duvet fell on the sand as I glared at Baekhyun.

He looked stunned right before he stood on his feet, reaching out to me.

“Baby.” He sounded like he was trying to pacify me. “I think you’ve had too much wine. Let’s go get you to bed now, hmm?”


Why isn’t this man telling me he loves me?

“Baekhyun,” I yelled. “I just said I love you.”

He took a deep breath as I heard my sister laugh. I turned around to face her then my parents. They were looking back at us quietly.

“Great. Now my family’s going to think that you don’t love me.” I sulked, surprised by the tears pooling in my eyes.

“Oh god.” He muttered, before pulling me into a tight hug. “Hush Baby. I love you okay?” He said, rubbing my back gently. “I love you.”

I leaned away.

“You love me?”

He nodded. “Of course.”

“Okay.” I turned to my parents. “See mom, dad…he loves me. He loves me more than any man could ever…” Facing Baekhyun, I pointed at him. “Honestly, I don’t want any other man at all…he’s everything I want,” I added, sobbing once more. “So please, don’t hate him. Please don’t hate him.” I said crying.

“Baby, stop crying now… they don’t hate me.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, they don’t.” He answered.  “Now let’s go back to the house okay?”

“Okay.” I wiped my tears using the back of my hands.

“I’m sorry but I think I’ll tuck Haewon to bed for now.” I heard Baekhyun tell my family before he wrapped an arm around me.

“Happy New Year Mom, Dad, and Eonnie. I loooooove you guys!” I exclaimed even if we already passed them.


*.☽.*

I felt the mattress on my back as Baekhyun tucked the blanket over my body. He bent his body next to the bed as he wiped the sweat on my forehead.

“Baek, it’s hot,” I whined like a sick child as I removed the blanket from my body and kicked it away.

I heard him laugh.

“I wanna take my clothes off,” I grunted as I got up and struggled to take off my sweater top.

I heard him sigh as he helped me take my sweater off. I was aware that I was only wearing my black, lacy bra now. I felt his eyes on me but I was too dumb to feel shy right now. I closed my eyes as I leaned my head on the headboard.

I heard him walk away only to wake me up after a few seconds.

“Baby, wear this.”

I struggled to open my eyes and realized what he was making me wear. Drunk, I could still recognize that it was one of his clothes. It was a black shirt. I neither protested nor did anything. I just let him put on the shirt on me.

“Is this okay now?” He asked, his voice gentle.

“Take this off too,” I replied, tugging on the sweatpants.

“Okay.” I heard him say before he brought his hands to the waistband of my sweatpants.

He lifted me for a bit so he could freely take it off my waist. Fighting my eyes from closing, I watched him pull the pants down my legs. He was doing it carefully as if I was breakable.

Oh, Thank God for this man.

He held me in his arms so he could lay me down on the bed properly.

“You feel better now?” He asked.

I nodded.

I kinda sensed that he was leaving.

“You’re leaving me?”

“I have to go help your parents clean up. I’ll be right back baby, I p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter