Need to be Brave ❁

Ephemeral
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 16:







 

*.☽.*



The way his smile vanished made my heart sink. I had a feeling that he was trying to be strong and appear like everything was under control but the confirmation was just unbearable. I remained silent.

I took a deep breath and looked out the window to shake the sadness away. Of course, it wouldn’t work but I had to at least try.

“He talks a lot about you.” It was Kyungsoo’s deep voice that broke my train of thought.

I looked back at him straight away as he glanced at me. He smiled, the very comforting one, and honestly, it made me feel more uneasy. Gosh, this separation anxiety was something I couldn’t handle. The truth was, I hadn’t been good at it, ever.

“I remembered the first time he called me and told me about the girl he met up in the mountain.” He paused to let out a chuckle. “He talked about you for days and wanted to see you again.”

I thought of Baekhyun telling me that he went back to the hiking place two weeks after we met hoping he could see me again. I almost blushed at the thought.

“And when he finally did, he asked me if it was weird to tell you that he likes you that soon…I said yes.” He paused to make way for another smile.  “So I guess he kept it to himself for a while. Did he?” Kyungsoo asked momentarily tearing his attention from the road to turn to me.

I nodded.

I recalled the day he got jealous of Eun Chan and ended up telling me that he wanted to be my boyfriend. Just thinking about it gave me the exact feeling I felt at that moment.

“He’s crazy about you.” His statement was accompanied by a reassuring smile on his face. “I asked him if he was sure about what he was getting into. I reminded him it would be complicated because of his celebrity status. You know what he told me?”

I didn’t say anything but just stared at him waiting for his next words.  

“He said only a fool would let you go.”

I blushed, flustered at the thought of Baekhyun talking about me to his friend like that. Damn, it was even overwhelming to just think of him talking about me to anyone.

I tilted my head down to look at my hands on my lap. My lips curved into a smile. Not because I was happy. Honestly, I felt sorry for Baekhyun having to go through what he would have to go through because of me.

“He’s strong. You should know that. He’s one of the bravest people I’ve ever met. So, I am pretty sure that he’ll fight for you and what you two have.”

I swallowed the lump that I could already feel in my throat.

Gosh, Park Hae Won please don’t embarrass yourself.

“I guess you are too.”

I immediately looked at him, confused about what he just said.

“Well, it takes a lot of courage to love a Byun Baekhyun.” He said in a matter-of-fact tone. “Aside from the fact that he’s crazy famous, he’s also a kid trapped inside a grown man’s body.”

He glanced at me and for some reason, we both laughed at the same time.

“That alone is bravery.” He added as he went back to fix his attention to driving again. “I guess what I’m trying to say is, I hope you stay with him Hae Won. As long as you can.”

I could feel his sincerity and concern while he said those words.

“Damn, Baekhyun should pay me for being this cheesy.”

I saw how his eyebrows furrowed, looking disgusted. I let out a soft laugh feeling a bit better somehow. I knew I just met Kyungsoo but for some reason, I knew exactly why he was best friends with Baekhyun. It was relieving to know that Baekhyun had a friend like him.


*.☽.*


It took us about an hour and forty-minute drive to reach the hotel where Liz and I were staying. I unfastened the seat belt after I thanked him for driving me there.

My heart was racing as I entered the huge glass doors of the hotel. Images of Liz yelling and nagging about what happened last night flooded my thoughts as I absent-mindedly walked towards the elevator. Once I was inside, I debated whether to tell her everything or come up with another lame excuse. The latter one seemed impossible given the chaos going on inside my head right now. When I reached our floor, the first thing I did was take off the padded jacket Baekhyun made me wear.

I contemplated for a few moments before I knocked on the door. I immediately heard her rushing to the door and in just a matter of seconds, she and I were already face to face.

“Oh my god, Hailey!” She exclaimed as she pulled me into a very tight hug.
“I’m sorry Liz,” I muttered just before she let go of me.

She initially glared at me but her expression softened after a few seconds. “You have a lot of explaining to do Hailey Park so you’d better be ready.” She blurted as she dragged me inside the room.

“You didn’t call the police, right?” I asked her, wanting to make sure that the situation hadn’t gotten that worse.

Well, not that wasn’t already.

“I was going to if you didn’t appear just now.” She reasoned out, her hands crossed over her chest. She pouted before her attention fell on what I was wearing. “Why are you dressed like that?  What happened to your clothes?”

I was about to open my mouth to tell her about it but she raised a hand towards me, apparently signaling me to stop. I did.

“Never mind, that is not the most important thing right now.” She stated as she sat on the bed and tapped the space right next to her. 

I went to sit in her designated place for me. We both stared at each other for a brief second before I looked away. I was nervous. It was the first time I would be talking about Baekhyun. My relationship with Baekhyun.

“Hey.” I felt Liz’s hand on my knee.

Turning to her, I saw that the expression on her face softened. She might have understood my hesitance.

“I promise. I will not overreact nor judge you.” She said sounding so reassuring. “As long as he’s not married, I’m okay with it.” She added and it was obvious that she was trying to make me feel comfortable.

I took a deep breath before I grabbed my purse to fish for my phone. Unlocking it, I went to a portal site and typed in Baekhyun’s name. As expected, the first entry about him was about us. There were articles with the same pictures I had seen this morning. My heart started to race as I handed the phone to Liz.

Her eyebrows furrowed as she took it from me. And in just a matter of seconds, I saw how her facial expression shifted from confused to shock.

“This is you and the guy I saw you were with last night.” She said, recognizing the photos straightaway.

She tore her attention from my phone to glance at me, probably asking for confirmation. I nodded.

“Byun Baekhyun,” I muttered. “His name is Baekhyun.”

She suddenly went speechless. She made a few taps on the screen and appeared to be reading something. She must have clicked on one of the articles.

She gasped.

“They’re saying that you might be his girlfriend!”

I didn’t make any sound, unable to find my words.

“Is that true?” Liz asked me, her eyes probing. That one look that she tends to give me when she’s suspicious.

I nodded once more. 

She didn’t gasp or something but brought her free hand to and just looked at me then back to my phone again. She did it a few times before she decided to check on Baekhyun more.

I saw her scrolling through his images and I couldn’t help but feel antsy while she did it. She had been doing it for a few minutes when she finally made a sound.

“Oh. My. Freaking. Gosh.” She said, exaggeratedly syllabicating the words. “This guy is freaking hot and cute at the same time Hailey Park!” She added as she showed me a particular image of Baekhyun.

It was a concert picture. Black-haired Baekhyun, white t-shirt with sleeves rolled up to his shoulders leaving his toned arms exposed. He had a mic in his hand which was inches away from his mouth. He was sweating probably due to his performance leaving his hair damp. There was also a fierce look on his face and his eyes were piercing.

“This is your boyfriend?!” Lizzie asked with evident firmness in her voice.

“Yes,” I answered.

“You…” She pointed at me only to stop what she was about to say as she continued to scan my phone. “I was worried about you falling for boring guys but… THIS!” She exclaimed, emphasizing her last word. “This is so unexpected. So unimaginable. So….controversial.”

I couldn’t tell whether she was supporting or scolding me. She would look thrilled one moment but then her forehead would also crease in disagreement.

“Now I get why you tried so hard to hide this from me.” She stated, catching my attention once more. “I thought this thing only happens in the movies.”

I could only look at her. I didn’t know how to react to her statements.

“I wouldn’t ask if you love him because you obviously wouldn’t jump into this risky situation if you didn’t love him but…” She paused as she moved closer to me until our shoulders were already touching. “Do you think it’s worth it?”

I knew exactly what she was trying to point out.

“Honestly…” I uttered before I filled my lungs with air. “I don’t exactly know how things are going to turn out Liz. I am scared…” I paused to stop the tears that were already starting to form in my eyes by briefly tilting my head up.

“I am not used to any of this. When I found out about the photos this morning, I was terrified. I got so scared, I didn’t know what to do…and I still don’t.” I turned to face her and found that her face was painted with worry. “I don’t know what to do Liz.”

She reached out to hold my hand. She didn’t say anything but it was already comforting.

“But…” I bit my lip as I took another deep breath. “He’s worth it,” I said just before a tear rolled down my cheek. “It’s scary but…I love him.”

“Oh, Hailey.” She sounded and looked like she was about to cry when she pulled me into a gentle hug. “I understand. For one second I thought of yelling at you to make you realize how crazy this is but I know you. You’re brave.” She was my back gently with her hand. “And I couldn’t really blame you though, he’s hot.”

I almost choked because of what she said so I ended up slapping her arm as we both let out a soft laugh.

“Does anybody else know about this?” I heard her ask the moment we were facing each other again.

“His friend knows and probably his cousin too. As for me, you’re the only one who knows about this.” I said hoping that she’d get the message to keep this a secret. “You won’t tell anyone right?” I asked wanting to make sure.

“Of course, I wouldn’t get you in trouble.” She swore, bringing her hand to her chest

“I already am,” I replied unable to stop myself from thinking out loud.

“As much as I want to tell you that everything will be fine, I won’t do that.” She sounded serious. “You know I am not the one to comfort you with easy words. It’s going to be tough but I’ll support you.” She added with a tight-lipped smile on her face. “And if you happen to decide to walk away from all of these, I’m with you too.”

I forced myself to have my lips curved into a smile as well. Liz has always been the realistic type. She’s straightforward and doesn’t sugarcoat things. So, I get why she’s telling me this stuff.

“I just hope you don’t end up hurting yourself too much in the process.”

I felt a tug in my heart right at that very moment but I didn’t have enough time to entertain the feeling when she asked me to tell her how Baekhyun and I met. And so I did, I told her how we both met at the old hiking place. Then our conversation led to me explaining to her how I discovered Baekhyun’s celebrity status, how he confessed, and how we finally got together.

Liz had a huge smile on her face while I tell her stuff that I thought was okay to share with her. For a moment there, I felt relieved being able to talk to someone about my feelings for him. And I realized how much I missed talking to her about stuff like this. For the past months, I had suppressed and kept my feelings all to myself. It was hard not having someone to talk to.
 

*.☽.*


I didn’t receive any message from Baekhyun the whole afternoon and I was too hesitant to text him at first thinking that he might be busy because of the whole issue. I knew he was my boyfriend and I shouldn’t feel this way but having Baekhyun as a boyfriend was a different story.  

The night fell. I didn’t go out of the hotel. Liz asked me to eat dinner outside with her but I was scared to go to public places thinking that someone might recognize me so I refused. She was okay with staying in the hotel at first but she received a message from one of her cousins who also lived in Seoul to meet her. She asked if it was okay for her to leave for a while and I said okay.

However, it was about past nine in the evening she also sent a message telling me that her cousin asked her for a sleepover.

Lizzie:
Sorry, Hail, I couldn’t say no to her. She told me her kids wanted to see me so much and asked me to stay with them for a night. I promise I’ll come home early in the morning tomorrow.
09:24 PM

Me:
It’s okay Liz. Please don’t mind me. I’ll be fine.
09:26 PM

Lizzie:
You sure?
09:26 PM

Me:
Yes. I’ll see you in the morning.
09:27 PM

Lizzie:
Okay. Thanks, Hail. Good Night.
09:27 PM
 

When I realized that I would have the room to myself for tonight, I immediately decided to take a warm bath. It took me about an hour and all I could think was Baekhyun.

Why do I miss him this much already?

“God, I’m so in love with you. It’s crazy.” I kept rewinding this scene in my head. I remembered how he exactly said it after we broke the kiss in the closet. I knew full well that I shouldn’t be reminiscing about this given the situation that we were in but these thoughts were involuntary.

*.☽.*

I was already half lying on the bed. I the television to distract myself from anything related to my celebrity boyfriend because I felt like going insane for not being able to talk to him. And the fact that I didn’t have any idea as to when I’d be seeing him again made me feel worse.

The TV was on but my attention was elsewhere. I didn’t even know what channel was on or what program was being aired at the moment. Then something flashed on the TV screen that immediately caught my attention. It was a news report and I suddenly froze when I saw what it was about. The pictures I saw at Baekhyun’s house flashed right before my eyes. My heartbeat raced as the female reporter talked about Baekhyun being seen right outside the bar last night with an unknown girl.

“A lot of Baekhyun’s fans speculated that the girl he was with is probably someone he was dating. The famous singer had always been very careful with his private life, especially with his past relationships so these pictures have shocked his fans all over the world. It’s too early to jump to conclusions but his supporters are already asking for his clarification. As of now, we haven’t received any words both from Baekhyun and his agency…”

I didn’t let her finish and changed channels right away. My hands were slightly trembling as I kept pressing the remote control but found i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter